PDA

View Full Version : What happenned to Laurin's ioun stone ?

Timy
2014-07-23, 06:34 AM
I don't think we have seen it since Blackingwing took it.

Do we have any clue as to where it is ?

maxon
2014-07-23, 06:59 AM
I don't think we have seen it since Blackingwing took it.

Do we have any clue as to where it is ?
In his nest?

Keltest
2014-07-23, 07:29 AM
V is probably trying to convince Blackwing to let him identify it.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-23, 02:51 PM
Since we haven't seen it since Blackwing snagged it, it's probably with his other stuff, otherwise we would probably see it orbiting Vaarsuvius's head.

Keltest
2014-07-23, 02:55 PM
Since we haven't seen it since Blackwing snagged it, it's probably with his other stuff, otherwise we would probably see it orbiting Vaarsuvius's head.

I suspect we would see it orbiting BLACKWING's head. It would be significantly easier to let him have it than to shoo him away every time he went for it.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-23, 03:00 PM
I suspect we would see it orbiting BLACKWING's head. It would be significantly easier to let him have it than to shoo him away every time he went for it.

Well, if Blackwing gave it to Vaarsuvius (which is what I was suggesting) then wouldn't Vaarsuvius be the one wearing it?

Keltest
2014-07-23, 03:12 PM
Well, if Blackwing gave it to Vaarsuvius (which is what I was suggesting) then wouldn't Vaarsuvius be the one wearing it?

well sure, but how long do you think Blackwing can resist going after the shiny bauble?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-23, 03:15 PM
well sure, but how long do you think Blackwing can resist going after the shiny bauble?

Hopefully, he has a little more self-control. Or Vaarsuvius does something to make it less shiny.

Reddish Mage
2014-07-23, 03:24 PM
Perhaps it has been completely forgotten about because having it orbit V's head in every panel from now on might just prove more distracting then neat.

Deliverance
2014-07-24, 08:20 AM
Probably lost in hammerspace until it is time to reintroduce it to the comic, in other words when it becomes relevant to the main plot whether Blackwing or V has it. Sort of like Tarquin's whip.

Unisus
2014-07-24, 03:59 PM
Isn't it obvious? Of course Blackwing kept his shiny bauble, so it was constantly orbiting around his head. What do you think made Blackwing go all dizzy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0950.html)?

;)

137beth
2014-07-25, 01:26 PM
V made it invisible. The invisibility has yet to wear off due to V's increased Caster Level from the ioun stone. Blackwing has not rammed into it again because it is invisible and therefore no longer shiny.

Quild
2014-07-28, 04:35 AM
Maybe it was an Ioun Kidney Stone

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/bcx/MagicItems003.gif

The stone is presumably the orange one that grants +1 caster level. But such a power up to V would seem surprising from Rich.

Vinyadan
2014-07-28, 05:07 AM
The stone is presumably the orange one that grants +1 caster level. But such a power up to V would seem surprising from Rich.

Well, if it's just a bonus to caster level, then it isn't so much. It just means that he casts his spells a little stronger and harder, but he doesn't gain access to higher level spells, so I think it's OK. It shouldn't be much different from the ring of wizardry or Roy's sword or Haley's bow (I think).

Quild
2014-07-28, 05:55 AM
Well, if it's just a bonus to caster level, then it isn't so much. It just means that he casts his spells a little stronger and harder, but he doesn't gain access to higher level spells, so I think it's OK. It shouldn't be much different from the ring of wizardry or Roy's sword or Haley's bow (I think).

Oh right, that's not what I thought!
Maybe the order will have to sell it anyway.

Keltest
2014-07-28, 07:15 AM
Oh right, that's not what I thought!
Maybe the order will have to sell it anyway.

that would be unfortunate. Blackwing might leave V over that.:smalltongue:

Socksy
2014-07-28, 05:47 PM

Why would Laurin have a +1 CL stone though?
My guess is it's ported in from an obscure sourcebook, Pathfinder, or an older (or newer!) version of D&D.

Also, +1 for V either painting it or turning it invisible. And I reckon before V made the stone not-shiny, Blackwing decided to see what would happen if the stone orbited him and he orbited V, and he got dizzy and she got a sore head. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Keltest
2014-07-28, 05:52 PM
My guess is it's ported in from an obscure sourcebook, Pathfinder, or an older (or newer!) version of D&D.

Also, +1 for V either painting it or turning it invisible. And I reckon before V made the stone not-shiny, Blackwing decided to see what would happen if the stone orbited him and he orbited V, and he got dizzy and she got a sore head. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Presumably she would have it to add +1 to her CL? I mean it might be weird if, say, Tarquin was using it, but Laruin, last I checked, did use spells (kinda).

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-28, 06:17 PM
I'm not very sure about how psionics works, but surely having an increased caster level is a still a good thing for psions, right?

Rogar Demonblud
2014-07-28, 06:52 PM
Yup. The ioun stone in question would increase her manifester level and give her some more power points in the battery, IMS.

zimmerwald1915
2014-07-28, 06:56 PM
The check to pierce spell resistance is a caster level check. Something tells me V (assuming she ever got to use the thing) would appreciate a +24 to that check over a +23, given her history with spell resistance.

Keltest
2014-07-28, 07:16 PM
The check to pierce spell resistance is a caster level check. Something tells me V (assuming she ever got to use the thing) would appreciate a +24 to that check over a +23, given her history with spell resistance.

Certainly theres no reason NOT to use if V is able to. AFAIK theres no penalty to having an Ioun stone active except maybe getting annoyed by the orbiting.

137beth
2014-07-28, 08:02 PM

It is normal 3.5. Per the magic-psionic transparency, it would increase her manifester level, which is something that every psion wants.

Socksy
2014-07-29, 01:47 AM
Yup. The ioun stone in question would increase her manifester level and give her some more power points in the battery, IMS.

I thought it didn't boost ML for some reason, probably the lack of transparency in the games I DM and usually in the games I play in. That would explain it. :smallbiggrin:

Quild
2014-07-29, 02:24 AM
I'm not very sure about how psionics works

I don't think anyone could have missed this one, but still :) :

http://logo.cafepress.com/2/1221917.10865652.jpg

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-29, 06:47 AM
I don't think anyone could have missed this one, but still :) :

http://logo.cafepress.com/2/1221917.10865652.jpg

Yeah, that poster probably knows more about it than I do.

Keltest
2014-07-29, 07:39 AM
Yeah, that poster probably knows more about it than I do.

I know that squid thingies eat brains and psionics are scary. Anything else is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shot full of bullet holes and launched into the depths of the ocean, never to be seen again.

137beth
2014-07-30, 02:57 PM
It works like casting in most videogame RPGs that aren't directly based on D&D. You have a bunch of points, and each power costs points. More powerful powers cost more points.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-30, 03:00 PM
It works like casting in most videogame RPGs that aren't directly based on D&D. You have a bunch of points, and each power costs points. More powerful powers cost more points.

Ah, so like what many games call mana?

But about the crystals mentioned by the poster?

137beth
2014-07-30, 06:11 PM
Ah, so like what many games call mana?

But about the crystals mentioned by the poster?

Yep, mana, or mp:smallsmile:
Crystals probably refers to one of two things:
psicrystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals) are animated crystals that work like a wizard's familiar.
Cognizance Crystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/cognizanceCrystals.htm) are items which store extra psionic points in them.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-30, 06:12 PM
Yep, mana, or mp:smallsmile:
Crystals probably refers to one of two things:
psicrystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals) are animated crystals that work like a wizard's familiar.
Cognizance Crystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/cognizanceCrystals.htm) are items which store extra psionic points in them.

I see. Thank you for the links.

rodneyAnonymous
2014-07-30, 06:43 PM
Yes, like mana, you can spend power points to "cast any spell you know" (manifest any power you have), which have variable point costs, until you run out of points. Psions are more like sorcerers than wizards, but spending points instead of spell slots makes a big gameplay difference.

Another major difference is that psions can choose to spend more points than the minimum casting cost to augment some powers in different ways, often simply making the numbers bigger.