PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Looking for a Prestige Class to close out this build

Yogibear41
2014-07-23, 12:19 PM
Working on a build for an upcoming game, specifically need a full bab prestige class that advances divine casting to take from level 11 to level 20(does not have to be full casting, note my low starting Int score) I will have 2 levels of archivist before gaining the Prestige class levels. (The character is built to be a fighter type, but I like have extra options) Looking for a class that I can qualify for as a LN warforged with the following feats: Toughness, Roll With it, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Scribe Scroll, and Potentially Track. Eberron Setting, if I follow any diety it will be the lord of blades, but will only be a loose following. The build will look something like this:

1. Ex-Barbarian 1 (bear totem for bonus toughness feat)
2. Archivist (scribe scroll)
3. Fighter (power attack)
4. Fighter (improved bull rush)
5. Archivist
6. Ranger (track) (or fighter again if for some reason I can't swing ranger in game)
7-11. Warforged Jug
12+ ?

Starting with 2 flaws(shaky and Pathetic: Cha), adamantine body and roll with itx2 for a DR of 6 at level 1, taking Roll with it at every other feat to give me a steadily increasing DR.

Starting Ability scores: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 12, Wis 6, Cha 4

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-23, 12:35 PM
Why take that Barbarian level at all? Adamantine Body makes it so you're permanently considered to be wearing heavy armor, so the fast movement from Barbarian will never be active. If you want to move faster, the Quick trait (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#quick) can do that and you can pick up Improved Toughness to make up for its drawback. If for some reason you can benefit from the fast movement with Adamantine Body, just use this Ranger variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) instead. Ranger at 1st level would also give you a lot more skill points.

For prestige classes, Ordained Champion in CC gets full BAB and 3/5 spellcasting, and should be easy to adapt to the Lord of Blades. Prestige Paladin and Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm) get full BAB and 1/2 spellcasting, but generally aren't available in a game that also has those base classes available. Warpriest in CD gets 1/2 spellcasting and full BAB. Probably the only full BAB class that gets any decent spellcasting progression is Sacred Fist in CD, but it has a lot of prerequisite feats. Generally a divine caster doesn't need to worry about BAB on a prestige class because as long as he keeps up his spellcasting, he can just use DMM: Persistent Divine Power to get the best BAB.

Yogibear41
2014-07-23, 12:46 PM
Bear Totem Barbarian gives up fast movement for Toughness as a bonus feat(im doing it for free toughness which is a prereq for roll with it, as well as it goes with my character background), archivist doesn't have turn undead(and I don't have the feats to take enough of them to make it worth it anyway) also my charisma is 4 so turn attempts: not so many of them. Will have a look at ordained champion.

Azoth
2014-07-23, 01:07 PM
Knight of the Raven is full BAB and 9/10 casting. Requires BAB +4/ 1st lvl divine spells/ and some fluff. Comes with some handy abilities, and gives access to the sun domain .

DMVerdandi
2014-07-23, 02:02 PM
First off, Re-roll. Those stats are hideous, and if someone hits you with a save or suck/die and targets will, you are dead. If someone uses a spell that targets charisma, you are dead. You are HIGHLY susceptible to magic, in the worst kind of way.

Second, why not just roll up an artificer? You are in eberron.
Or a TOB martial adept?

Your build is kind of all over the place. I understand that you are going of for war forged juggernaut, but why not just dedicate your initial feats to that and go at level five? Drawing it out is wasting time.

5 Crusader/Warforged Juggernaught 5/Crusader 10 Will get you some decent stuff.

If you dump the war forged juggernaut, Artificer 20 (war forged artificer racial sub) is fantastic, and lets you use most of it's abilities and infusions on itself. (also usable with psionic artificer)

Archivist 20 can net you as many divine spells as you need, and if you pick up some other prestige classes for it that give you domains and turn undead (Contemplative/Sacred exorcist), you are set. Get Heroics moved to your spell list, and suddenly, you can fight better than a fighter ever could.

Spell to power Erudite if you want to kick some butt as well. No arcane spell failure, Psion lists, as well as EVERY ARCANE LIST. Without extra cheese, it isn't actually all that broken at all.
More than enough power.

But where you are headed now? Nein...

Yogibear41
2014-07-23, 06:09 PM
First off, Re-roll. Those stats are hideous, and if someone hits you with a save or suck/die and targets will, you are dead. If someone uses a spell that targets charisma, you are dead. You are HIGHLY susceptible to magic, in the worst kind of way.

Second, why not just roll up an artificer? You are in eberron.
Or a TOB martial adept?

Your build is kind of all over the place. I understand that you are going of for war forged juggernaut, but why not just dedicate your initial feats to that and go at level five? Drawing it out is wasting time.

5 Crusader/Warforged Juggernaught 5/Crusader 10 Will get you some decent stuff.

If you dump the war forged juggernaut, Artificer 20 (war forged artificer racial sub) is fantastic, and lets you use most of it's abilities and infusions on itself. (also usable with psionic artificer)

Archivist 20 can net you as many divine spells as you need, and if you pick up some other prestige classes for it that give you domains and turn undead (Contemplative/Sacred exorcist), you are set. Get Heroics moved to your spell list, and suddenly, you can fight better than a fighter ever could.

Spell to power Erudite if you want to kick some butt as well. No arcane spell failure, Psion lists, as well as EVERY ARCANE LIST. Without extra cheese, it isn't actually all that broken at all.
More than enough power.

But where you are headed now? Nein...

28 point buy, no rolling. Have to have a 20 con at level 1 for what I want to do, which is why everything else sucks. WF Juggernaut makes me immune to most things that require a will save, as well as damaging my charisma. I have considered artificer as well as crusader levels, and am actually leaning back toward going artificer instead of archivist. I don't want to be a spell caster, I'm not trying to be super optimized, I want to be a big dumb fighter who is basically immune to everything. Using my plan I will have a dr or 10 by level 6, and a DR of 18 by level 18, as an EX ability. 16 points of that DR will happen to stack with anything else I do, so if I cast an infusion to give myself dr 15/adamantine well I suddenly have dr/31 adamantine. Not to mention im immune to crits/mind affecting spells, which means I can throw all of my armor enchanting budget at other defense things such as resistances or upping my touch AC. As far as drawing out WFJ I'm going in a level late only because you have to have a bab of +5. 2 levels of fighter easily gives me the prereq feats I need for it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-23, 06:17 PM
28 point buy, no rolling. Have to have a 20 con at level 1 for what I want to do, which is why everything else sucks. WF Juggernaut makes me immune to most things that require a will save, as well as damaging my charisma. I have considered artificer as well as crusader levels, and am actually leaning back toward going artificer instead of archivist. I don't want to be a spell caster, I'm not trying to be super optimized, I want to be a big dumb fighter who is basically immune to everything. Using my plan I will have a dr or 10 by level 6, and a DR of 18 by level 18, as an EX ability. 16 points of that DR will happen to stack with anything else I do, so if I cast an infusion to give myself dr 15/adamantine well I suddenly have dr/31 adamantine. Not to mention im immune to crits/mind affecting spells, which means I can throw all of my armor enchanting budget at other defense things such as resistances or upping my touch AC. As far as drawing out WFJ I'm going in a level late only because you have to have a bab of +5 and i'm not taking nothing but fighter classes.

Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b) Warforged keeps the construct type and living construct subtype, along with everything that comes with those. You only lose the default composite plating and fortification, but you still benefit from adamantine body and all the WFJ class features so the only actual drawback is the -2 Dex. You can put a 16 on Con instead of an 18, and have a lot more points to put into other stats.

Yogibear41
2014-07-23, 06:29 PM
Thats a good idea, but not sure the DM would go for that, I would actually rather stay a normal warforged anyway.

However your good idea, gave me a good idea, which he may go for, and I would also like better.

The Arctic Template from Dragon 306. +2 con -2 cha no la :smallsmile: I can even fit it reasonably well into his ex-barbarian backstory. :smallsmile: