PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Can enchantments stack?

gc25774
2014-07-23, 02:49 PM
I have a +3 ring of protection and a +3 cloak of protection. Do they stack?
I also duel-wield "sweeping" enchanted weapons. Do they stack?
I am just more then a little confused.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-23, 02:57 PM
Same-type bonuses do not stack.
+2 Gloves of Dex, a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, does not stack with the Deep Red Ioun Stone, as it also provides an enhancement bonus.

So what bonus do those two items give? Are they the same type to the same bonus? Yes, then they do not stack.

As for the weapons, they are two different items, and the bonus only applies to the one weapon. Having that bonus does not effect you at all times, it only applies when using that weapon.

TypoNinja
2014-07-23, 02:58 PM
Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession). If the modifiers to a particular roll do not stack, only the best bonus and worst penalty applies. Dodge bonuses and circumstance bonuses however, do stack with one another unless otherwise specified.

Long story short, if it has the same name/type the bonus won't stack (unless its dodge or circumstance). So the two +3's from the ring and cloak won't stack.

Sweeping: This property grants
a +4 bonus on any Strength checks the wielder makes as
part of an attempt to trip an opponent with the weapon.

Sweeping specifies a trip attempt with that weapon, so sweeping on a weapon you are not tripping with can't help you.

eggynack
2014-07-23, 02:58 PM
The ring and cloak do stack, because they provide bonuses to different things. Moreover, even if they gave bonuses to the same thing, they would still stack, because they're of different bonus types. You should check out the stacking rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking) for more details. As for the sweeping weapons, each would grant a +4 bonus to strength bonuses to trip with themselves. You wouldn't get a +8, because each weapon applies the bonus only to itself, but you also wouldn't lose one of the bonuses, both because they are apparently unnamed, and because they apply bonuses to different things.

Edit: Just noticed that you said cloak of protection rather than cloak of resistance. In that case, it would depend on what the item does.

sideswipe
2014-07-23, 02:59 PM
they stack if the type of the bonus is untyped or different.
ring of protection is an enhancement bonus, if the cloak is the same type they do not stack. if it was say a moral bonus or a competance bonus it would stack.

gc25774
2014-07-23, 03:08 PM
Thanks! Confusion's gone, I guess.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-23, 03:11 PM
If it's still there, don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

Rubik
2014-07-23, 03:14 PM
they stack if the type of the bonus is untyped or different.
ring of protection is an enhancement bonus, if the cloak is the same type they do not stack. if it was say a moral bonus or a competance bonus it would stack.JSYK, there's no such thing as a "moral" or "competance" bonus. Also, capital letters are your friends.

sideswipe
2014-07-23, 03:23 PM
JSYK, there's no such thing as a "moral" or "competance" bonus. Also, capital letters are your friends.

{Scrubbed}

Rubik
2014-07-23, 03:27 PM
Your being a **** for the sake of being a ****. if your not going to be helpful then don't post. this is a thread about receiving help for a rules clarification.

Not a lets pick on the guy who has Dyslexia, and is trying to be helpful but is bad at spelling at speed thread.

So far one of us is helpful, and the other is a ****.I'm sorry that you're dyslexic, but spellcheckers are also a thing, not that one would do much for moral/morale.

sideswipe
2014-07-23, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry that you're dyslexic, but spellcheckers are also a thing, not that one would do much for moral/morale.

As i said i type at speed. i am a busy man. if it somehow is so offensive to you that my posts are grammatically incorrect. log a complaint with the forum. and they can laugh at you. do not post ridiculing me publicly and uncalled for. or i will log a complaint and they won't laugh at that one as i am on this forum to discuss D&D and to help/ receive help with issues people/ I may have. not to be mocked by another member because i misspelled my post. especially when he provided no help at all to the topic and was there for just that one reason and no other.

Khedrac
2014-07-24, 07:06 AM
ring of protection is an enhancement bonus

And if it is an Enhancement bonus then it has to be an Enhancement bonus to something - and it (oddly) can't be to your armor class!

E.g.
Magic Armors provide and enhancement bonus to the armor bonus of the armor - not to the wearer's armor class.
Magic Shields provide and enhancement bonus to the shield bonus of the shield - not to the wearer's armor class.
Both Necklaces of Natural Armor and Barkskin spells provide and enhancement bonus to the recipient's natural armor (base 0 for a human) so while they don't stack, they work.
Etc.
Note: characters don't have an armor bonus themselves, their armor or spells do hence it cannot be enhanced.

What used to be called "Rings of Protection" got renamed for 3.0/3.5 as "Rings of Deflection" and provide a deflection bonus (no, deflection bonuses don't stack).

So both items look non-standard so without knowing more about them we cannot help.

PS don't confuse "enchantment" (meaning it is magic) with "enhancement" (the type of bonus) - the words are fairly similar in English and the difference between them is actually very important in D&D.