PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class New PRC: Sacred Blade of Etain

Ace Nex
2014-07-23, 04:15 PM
Hello playgrounders! I'm part of a campaign where one of my characters (kinda former, but she is still very present in the world and I do control her even if it is a follow up game) has reached divinity. There is a little bit of background that needs to be explained before I can go into this PRC. Thirty years prior, when she was a fresh-faced adventurer, the negative energy plane started to leak over into the other places after a lichlord tried to raise a long dead god of death. My character (A Paladin/Crusader) and the other party members stopped him, but the god's remaining essence was absorbed by Lucifer, who used it to become a lesser deity himself, appear on the material plane, and tear open a rift between the material plane and The Nine Hells. The archangel Michael joined the fray shortly after, but most of the angels were being attacked by the abyss after the Nine Hells pulled back much of their forces. The party fought him off long enough for Hercules (this campaign has multiple pantheons) to join the fray and together we sealed him back to hell. He has since resumed his war against the demons of the abyss but has also increased his presence on the material plane, bartering souls and having his minions set loose the hectachontres upon the world. After defeating them, my character ascends to Godhood. Lucifer, as well as the leader of all of the nine hells have a PRC associated with them (several in the Book of Vile Darkness), and so I thought that the good guys would need a sharp sword too (particularly after the DM gave the devil PRCs a bit more punch).

I wanted to flavor them as LG, pseudo-paladins which focused on undead, evil outsider, and cultist slaying defenders of justice. Lucifer, despite being lawful evil, has demonstrated that he doesn't care for contracts or laws which he claims to hold dear. His violation of these laws and the endangerment of the entirety of the Plane while using mortals as mere playthings has earned him our complete and undivided attention. These PRCs specialize in hampering his efforts on the material plane and preventing his continued schemes of vengeance and world domination. While Lucifer and the Devils are a necessary evil, they have overstepped their bounds and need to be put back in their place.

Sacred Blade of Etain

The Sanctified Blade of Justice is a powerful force for good, whose existence is to purge the taint of the devils from the material plane after they sought to enslave the entire mortal race when Lucifer emerged on the Material Plane in his true and terrible form. Kyra Etain, a paladin who defeated him and sent him back to hell, later ascended to Godhood. These beings are her servants who monitor the planes against their evil. She also harbors a hatred for undead, and instructs her followers to destroy them whenever met.

Many start as paladins, crusaders, and clerics, though occasionally a monk or ranger will take the path.

Pre-Reqs-
Skills: 10 ranks in Knowledge (Religion), 8 ranks in Knowledge (The Planes), 5 ranks in sense motive, 5 ranks in diplomacy
Feats: Sacred Vow, Either Law, Protection, or Good Devotion feat, and one other exalted feat.
Spells OR Maneuvers: Must know at least two 2nd level divine spells OR two 2nd level devoted spirit and White Raven maneuvers
Alignment: NG or LG
Special: Subject undergoes a ritual in which they bathe in the sacred waters of a Temple of Etain for twenty four hours, where they enter into a trance and receive hallowed visions granting them insight and understanding by the Justicar Angels of Etains. When they emerge, they have a mark on their left forarm, marking them a Sacred Blade of Etain.

BAB: Good BAB
Saves: Good Fort and Will saves

Skills: 4+Int mod, class skills, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Bluff, Martial Lore, Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Religion), Ride, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Craft, Profession, Perform, Heal, and Handle Animal.

Advances Initiator Level OR Caster Level by 1 at ever level except 1, 6, and 10.
Learns another maneuver from list of available maneuvers at 4th and 8th level if has initiator levels.

CLASS ABILITIES

True Detection:Subject can detect evil 3/day for 10 minutes/SBoE level. This type of detection has twice the range and can pierce twice as far as normal. (One inch of Lead is needed to shield from detection). In addition, they can detect residual auras of evil creatures. They leave behind an aura as if they were a cleric equal to one half their level. The SBoE's eyes glow gold when using this ability.

Loophole: SBoE gain a sacred bonus on all rolls relating to oaths, contracts, and laws equal to twice their SBoE level. (Max of +20 at 10th level.)

New Dawn: At 2nd level, they can (at will) as a full round action give off bright light from their bodies which lasts one minute/SBoE level. The range of this can be a maximum radius of 10 feet/SBoE level. Unlike most spells, this light counts as true daylight for the purpose of destroying vampires and other light sensitive creatures. This ability counts as a 6th level spell.

Hallowed Resistance: At 3rd level, SBoE gains their charisma modifier as a sacred bonus on all saves against non-good creatures and spells. This bonus stacks with a Paladin's divine grace class feature. In addition, they receive a +4 unnamed bonus to all saves involving the possession, moving, or destruction of thier soul. At 7th level, they add their charisma modifier as a sacred bonus to their armor class, and their soul becomes immune to possession, capture, but not destruction.

Bane of Heretics: At 4th level, the angels instruction included information on how to combat the followers of Lucifer. They receive a bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and DCs of all abilities against them equal to 1/2 their SBoE level. In addition, when damaging Lawful Evil outsiders, their weapon is considered both lawful and chaotic aligned (whatever is more beneficial).

Mettle: At 5th level, a SBoE's conviction is so great that they can shrug off effects that normally would hamper others of lesser faith. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. A sleeping, helpless, or unconscious SBoE cannot benefit from this class feature.

Hallowed Transformation: At 6th level, the SBoE begins to gain some of the features of the justicar Angels who mentored them. The receive a +2 racial bonus to charisma and wisdom, 5 resistance to sonic, fire, and acid. At 7th level they gain a +2 racial bonus to intelligence and immunity to disease and a +4 racial bonus against all poisons. At 8th level they gain +2 to strength and constitution and grow a pair of feathered wings allowing them to fly at twice their base land speed with good maneuverability. At 9th level they receive a +2 racial bonus to Dexterity.

Purging Strike of the Heavens: At 9th level, the SBoE learns the secret of destroying their hated foes permanently. Once per encounter (or five minutes of uninterrupted prayer), they can as a swift action empower their next attack with the force of the heavens. It deals double damage against undead, evil outsiders, and followers of Lucifer. Half of this damage is normal, the other half is divine and not subject to DR, Regen, and resistances. If the strike brings their foe to 0 HP, they are destroyed down to the cellular level. Undead that normally would rise again, such as bleak born, are destroyed. Evil Outsiders, who's souls are part of their bodies, are annihilated and do not revive in hell 99 years later as normal. Followers of Lucifer have their souls torn asunder by the sheer might of purity and goodness that overwhelms their being. A wish or miracle spell followed by a True Resurrection can restore the individual, but only has a 50% success rate per casting. (Resources are consumed as normal, and subjects are free to try to raise the same subject as many times as they like so long as they have the materials to do so.

Favored Child of Etain: Upon reaching 10th level, they become the apex of the defender of the realm from Lucifers threat. They become a Native Outsider (like and aismar), gain immunity to a chosen element of the three resistances listed prior (the other two are upgraded to +10), a +2 racial bonus on strength, constitution, and wisdom, charisma. Their weapon and all natural weapons become good aligned, and they receive DR 10/Evil and Magic. Finally, they constantly give off a light spell which cannot be suppressed.

Thoughts? I know it isn't exactly balanced, but considering my opponents I thought this might be OK. I may remove the DR and some of the racial boosts but I really wanted them to be close to the MM version of Half Angels (without giving them the SLAs). Not to mention by the time they hit that level they should be 16th to 20th level anyway. I also thought about removing another caster level from the list, thus depriving them of the 9th level spells and abilities until epic levels, but 9th level spells and maneuvers are too gorgeous to be removed. Another thing, I like maneuvers and crusaders A LOT, and noticed they didn't really have any good hallowed options, so I thought I would open that up as well as provide a good Paladin PRC as well that still fits the feeling of Paladin. The entry feats are a little steep, should I alter them, or are they good seeing as this is a rather powerful PRC. Thoughts, opinions, anything? I wanted to run it past you guys before sending it the DMs way. Truthfully, this class probably won't see much action from the PCs, but for flavor I would really like there to be something aside from the generic paladin when every level of the nine hells has their own supped up PRC.