PDA

View Full Version : Healthy How to make working out fun

Maryring
2014-07-23, 04:52 PM
So. Everyone should work out right. It's all benefits. Longer life. Don't lose your breath taking the stairs. The ability to wear swimwear without being all kinds of ashamed. All those nice benefits. It's the reason why I'm trying to work out myself, but I have one... teeny tiny problem.

Working out is *BORING*.

No matter what kind of workout I've been trying to do, I find myself bored and disinterested within about fifteen minutes of initiating the activity if it's something I like, like swimming. If it's jogging or weights or something like that, it'll take less than five minutes before I am bored and want to blow up the treadmill or something.

I was hoping, does anyone have any advice on how to make workout less of a painful, depression-inducing chore and more... fun?

Sallera
2014-07-23, 05:02 PM
Finding an athletic activity you enjoy is the most important step. It sounds like that alone's not quite enough for you, so the second step is finding one you enjoy that can be done in a group. There's nothing for regular motivation like not wanting to let down your partner(s).

For me, this meant regular martial arts classes, but there are lots of other routes. The key bit is doing something you like that happens to also be a good workout, rather than doing something just for the exercise.

Mauve Shirt
2014-07-23, 05:06 PM
I enjoyed it when my main workout was badminton, but it turns out that's a very niche sport and those who do play it don't seem to think of it as a sport.
I just run and lift nowadays. Now I've also signed up for kickboxing lessons. I'm hoping that my natural inclination to punch the **** out of my enemies will result in muscle gain.

Sometimes it's the external stimulus of a yelling instructor, other times it's the enjoyment of the activity, and very occasionally it's the fear of getting harmed by something faster and more skilled than yourself.

Palanan
2014-07-23, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sallera
It sounds like that alone's not quite enough for you, so the second step is finding one you enjoy that can be done in a group. There's nothing for regular motivation like not wanting to let down your partner(s).

Or just the enjoyment of doing something with them. I used to spend a fair amount of time on the climbing wall with a friend of mine; we'd take turns belaying each other and make an evening of it. If the climbing wall was closed, we'd play tennis instead, although generally without rules and stuff. Still good exercise and plenty of fun.

Of course, she got into yoga and left me high and dry, but so it goes.

valadil
2014-07-23, 09:28 PM
I quite enjoy lifting. That's power lifting to be specific, the goal being to get strong rather than to get huge. I do a few big compound lifts for a max of 5 reps. It's not as repetitive as what you describe.

I also listen to metal. I've always listened to metal. But until I started lifting, my listening was unresolved. What I mean by that is I'd listen to something loud and epic and work myself into a frenzy over it. Then I'd sit on the frenzy until it fizzled out. Now I get myself all worked up and have somewhere to burn off that energy. I can't tell you how many extra reps I've gotten because the right song came on at the right time. Seriously, try quitting early while Run to the Hills is playing.

Pyromancer999
2014-07-23, 09:37 PM
Listening to music during cardio workouts helps.

Also, if you have a mobile device that has the Youtube app on it, you can always watch Youtube videos for the duration of your workout.

Coidzor
2014-07-23, 09:42 PM
Focusing on music rather than on the workout itself(as long as one is still ensuring proper form for safety and efficiency and gain and the like) is supposed to help a lot, both for getting through the workout and for not losing those advances later on when it comes time to eat.

Tengu_temp
2014-07-23, 10:01 PM
Find something you can do in your living room. Watch TV or online videos while you exercise.

Zrak
2014-07-24, 12:14 AM
I usually try to multitask by practicing a foreign language while I exercise. Usually, I recite conjugations/declensions during push ups or squats. If you go through all the tenses, it usually works out to a decent number of reps.

Cespenar
2014-07-24, 12:59 AM
Although I myself hate the idea of "achievements" in games, if you're a sort of person that gets motivated by such things, you could write out an achievement list with small rewards at each one (or not), and then try to trick yourself into it. A mediocre example would follow like:

15 minutes of continuous cardio: Buy yourself a 5$ something.
20 minutes: Buy yourself a book.
30 min: etc.

The rewards have to be a one time thing, obviously.

Sartharina
2014-07-24, 01:01 AM
Get a few albums from the Village People! It's a lot more fun when listening to songs like "YMCA" and "Macho Man"!

Remmirath
2014-07-24, 01:02 AM
Mostly I do things that I find enjoyable, and I'm also someone who tends to get antsy if I don't do anything active in a day, so even relatively boring activity is to me better than nothing. I've been known to just start pacing the room if I've sat still too much of the day. That being said, even though my advice might not be as applicable as it could be, I do have a couple of suggestions.

For the few times I am bored while working out, I listen to music on random, which keeps me more in the moment (probably not a good idea if you have a greatly varied music collection and don't like sudden mood shifts, though). Weight lifting keeps my mind occupied enough on its own, and it doesn't take terribly long; I really only listen to music during indoor stationary biking, which is fairly uninteresting and I generally take a long time at.

I also tend to let my mind wander, and think of what I'm going to do that day, what art projects I have to work on, and other such things. If there's a campaign I'm thinking of planning, or a new character I'm making, I'll also think on that kind of thing. Perhaps that could help?

There are also a lot of things I do that I suppose could count as or towards working out that I do for fun, but since those are things I do specifically because I like doing them, that probably doesn't really count here (biking, swimming, taking walks, archery, canoeing, and so forth). Stage combat's also quite active. I also prefer to walk to places that I'm going if I can, because I'm really not very fond of driving. If you can find things like that, that you do like doing enough, it would probably help -- but you say that you get bored doing something you like as well, so perhaps it wouldn't.

I know a lot of people watch films or TV shows or such. If you can hear it well enough and see it well enough despite what you're doing, I can see how that could work well, especially if you have a lot of shows you want to catch up on or something. Doing stuff in groups with friends could help, too, if you're the social sort.

Kaeso
2014-07-24, 02:52 AM
For me personally, signing up for group activities at the gym (like bodypump) helps a lot. The thing about it is that I tend to procastinate a lot, but always try to fulfill my promises. If I sign up for a group, I'm not just there for my own sake, but people actually expect me to be there. There will be consequences if I don't show up for a group I signed up for. It pretty much forces me to go whether I like it or not, and in retrospect I don't regret having worked out.

Alternatively, going with a friend both "forces" you to go (your friend is waiting for you) and makes working out more fun.

Haruki-kun
2014-07-24, 12:11 PM
If you find working out boring you should probably try to find something that's not as repetitive. running or cycling can get repetitive very fast.

Playing competitive sports would be a good way to go. Football, basketball... there's constant stimulus when playing sports, as opposed to repetitive motions.

inexorabletruth
2014-07-24, 11:29 PM
I made it a game with my workout partner. We treated exercise like a video game, with high scores for reps, total weight, distance, whatever was appropriate for that workout day. The loser did something nice for the winner, which was usually buying the smoothies after workout. A bigger prize was reserved for longer term goals... such as overall BMI, waist size, muscle group size or whatever the competition that month was for.

If you don't have a workout partner, you can try an actual video game. There is a pretty good selection of workout video games out there that can help you stick with your goals.

Jermz
2014-07-25, 05:11 AM
As most people have said, music helps. I'll add that working out with someone who can push you and you can compete against is also a good idea - we're naturally competitive, us humans. This leads me to organised activities such as kickboxing, dance classes, zumba, whatever. Not my cup of tea, but they'll push you to continue.

However, perhaps you haven't found the right exercise? I'd recommend biking. I'm not sure where you live and what the terrain is like around your location, but biking outside and not on the stationary bike is a lot of fun. There's mountain biking on single track trails which is both challenging and fulfiling, or just biking around the city. Bonus points if your city has designated bike paths. It doesn't even have to be a 'workout', you know? Bike to work, to friends, etc. Anything that you'd do with a car/bus just do with a bike instead. Granted, this can be a pain in the summer when you sweat.

Good luck!

J

AtlanteanTroll
2014-07-25, 02:51 PM
PLAY REALLY LOUD MUSIC THAT YOU LOVE SO THAT YOUR ONLY OPTION AFTERWARDS IS TO TALK LIKE THIS!! :smalltongue:

Icewraith
2014-07-25, 03:06 PM
Keep the reps down, do mainly compound lifts, focus on form and lifting safely for a faster, more efficient workout. Try to beat personal bests (safely!).

Basically, you do one thing for about 5-10 minutes counting a warm-up set and breaks between sets (3-5 sets of 5 reps), you get some water, you do another different thing for another 5-10 minutes (same sort of reps), refill your water, and then a third thing (again, same sort of reps). Then stretch and cool down.

If you're doing compund lifts that work the whole body, you're done in half an hour or 45 minutes depending on how long you rest between sets and whether or not you do a fourth exercise. You haven't been doing the same thing the entire time, and if you're doing compound lifts you don't need to do ten different exercises just to work your arms.

Then get on with your day (maybe shower first?).

Maryring
2014-07-26, 05:14 AM
I'm new in town, so unfortunately working out with friends is a no go as there ain't none. Music 's a good idea though. I was thinking about getting some audio books as well. because reading while... doing pretty much anything else usually means I get hurt.

Still, there's a lot of ideas here that might work. So I'll try everything and see what works for me. Thanks.

Asta Kask
2014-07-26, 08:09 AM
I was hoping, does anyone have any advice on how to make workout less of a painful, depression-inducing chore and more... fun?

Cocaine.

Disclaimer - humorous purpose only. Do not actually do cocaine.

EmeraldRose
2014-07-27, 03:48 PM
PLAY REALLY LOUD MUSIC THAT YOU LOVE SO THAT YOUR ONLY OPTION AFTERWARDS IS TO TALK LIKE THIS!! :smalltongue:
Do this.

Cocaine.

Disclaimer - humorous purpose only. Do not actually do cocaine.
Not this.

Seriously though, your favorite music with the fastest beat you can walk/run/step/bike to, as loud as you (or the neighbors) can stand it.

Crow
2014-07-27, 10:06 PM
Find a sport that you enjoy and play it.

You may find yourself wanting to become better at it. When your physical fitness has a direct impact on your performance in an activity that you enjoy, you will draw much more enjoyment from your workout.

However, you said you get bored after 10-15 minutes: I do a program called Crossfit Football. It has a strength element and a conditioning element. The conditioning element is never more than 15 minutes. The time they aim for is between 7-12. You could skip the strength element and just do the conditioning elements and still get into pretty good shape.

SiuiS
2014-07-28, 12:31 AM
I quite enjoy lifting. That's power lifting to be specific, the goal being to get strong rather than to get huge. I do a few big compound lifts for a max of 5 reps. It's not as repetitive as what you describe.

Aye. The most fun (and physically draining) exercise I've ever done was busting rebar rods for construction. It was damn fulfilling, physically, mentally, emotionally. Hardest thing I've ever done. I only lasted three days. My current slow climb up the fitness ladder is to get back into that.

Listening to music during cardio workouts helps.

Also, if you have a mobile device that has the Youtube app on it, you can always watch Youtube videos for the duration of your workout.

Cardio always felt like the thing you do during other activities, to me. Not the other way around.

For me personally, signing up for group activities at the gym (like bodypump) helps a lot. The thing about it is that I tend to procastinate a lot, but always try to fulfill my promises. If I sign up for a group, I'm not just there for my own sake, but people actually expect me to be there. There will be consequences if I don't show up for a group I signed up for. It pretty much forces me to go whether I like it or not, and in retrospect I don't regret having worked out.

Alternatively, going with a friend both "forces" you to go (your friend is waiting for you) and makes working out more fun.

This. Group work turns it into fun. From yoga to competitive races. It's how I've gotten through MT training, martial arts conditioning, and just about everything else.

If you find working out boring you should probably try to find something that's not as repetitive. running or cycling can get repetitive very fast.

Playing competitive sports would be a good way to go. Football, basketball... there's constant stimulus when playing sports, as opposed to repetitive motions.

Yup.
I've built a weight set out of a cedar closet dowel, some twine and paracord, and about twelve empty gallon jugs (about 8 pounds when full of water), because me and a friend can yoke weights to ourselves, jog somewhere, drink some water, do fun stuff with six foot poles like staff fight or balance weights, do combination lifts, stick te staff in a tree for bodyweight exercises, and all that.

I'm also going to start making boffers again. Your friends don't really think of six-man foam sword fights as "exercise" but boy is it! Especially when you get complex, like adding bucklers (foam on a frisbee) or actual shields and stuff.

Karoht
2014-07-28, 10:56 PM
I watch stuff on Netflix and either run on the treadmill, pedal my exercise bike, or lift small weights.
Watching a show like Suits and saying "Damn, I'm gonna look better than Harvey Specter next time I suit up" sort of does it. Sort of.

*Disclaimer* No, I do not believe I am as hot or hotter than Harvey Specter. I'm a guy and even I crush on him while watching this show.

Mauve Shirt
2014-08-04, 02:40 PM
Oh hey another thing, try Fitocracy. It gives you points for working out, and you gain levels and with each new level you gain validation and the respect of your peers!

SiuiS
2014-08-05, 08:05 PM
On a related note, I have a question on feasibility before I make a mess.

I have a cedar pole, a dozen empty gallon jugs, and various cordage the best of which is 550 paracord. How would one best rig these gallon jugs so they could then be lashed to the pole? My best guess so far is each jug should have the handle wrapped in cordage, and the cord should be long enough wrap around the pole a few times and also around a fellow jug, to support it.

Each jug is an eight pound weight though. What's the best way to lash an eight pound weight to a pole for routine removal? A loop through the handle doesn't seem structurally sound...

gallon jugs are these;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wScGrWibmrs/UQcgR8h0QyI/AAAAAAAAEFc/-Bny3K_pwcs/s1600/S_16912_M.jpg

TheThan
2014-08-05, 08:19 PM
On a related note, I have a question on feasibility before I make a mess.

I have a cedar pole, a dozen empty gallon jugs, and various cordage the best of which is 550 paracord. How would one best rig these gallon jugs so they could then be lashed to the pole? My best guess so far is each jug should have the handle wrapped in cordage, and the cord should be long enough wrap around the pole a few times and also around a fellow jug, to support it.

Each jug is an eight pound weight though. What's the best way to lash an eight pound weight to a pole for routine removal? A loop through the handle doesn't seem structurally sound...

gallon jugs are these;
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wScGrWibmrs/UQcgR8h0QyI/AAAAAAAAEFc/-Bny3K_pwcs/s1600/S_16912_M.jpg

You could weave a net out of cordage and place the jug in the bag, that way you can simply slip the pole into the net without undoing any lashings or knots etc. it’s a bit of work, but more permanent.
Something like this:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/gourd_zps35869974.jpeg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/gourd_zps35869974.jpeg.html)

SiuiS
2014-08-05, 08:25 PM
You could weave a net out of cordage and place the jug in the bag, that way you can simply slip the pole into the net without undoing any lashings or knots etc. it’s a bit of work, but more permanent.
Something like this:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/gourd_zps35869974.jpeg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/gourd_zps35869974.jpeg.html)

It's becoming more and more clear that such is probably my only real option. It interferes with functionality I think though; the idea is to not only cart around weight but also water for hydration, and to release easily for changing weight and using them individually off the staff as well.

Let's see, some science. A net or harness redistributes stress from on point (handle) to multiple points around the jug. I may be able to work with that after all, at the expense of more cord. Runs afoul of my "easy and cheap" philosophy but I'm dedicated now.

Madcrafter
2014-08-05, 09:48 PM
It's becoming more and more clear that such is probably my only real option. It interferes with functionality I think though; the idea is to not only cart around weight but also water for hydration, and to release easily for changing weight and using them individually off the staff as well.

Let's see, some science. A net or harness redistributes stress from on point (handle) to multiple points around the jug. I may be able to work with that after all, at the expense of more cord. Runs afoul of my "easy and cheap" philosophy but I'm dedicated now.

A loop through the handle should be fine. That is how the jugs are normally carried anyways, they've been designed to support the weight. If you think you need more because of the stress of them bouncing on that point from running or the like, you could make additional loops to bind the handle and spread out the stress a bit.

Plus it's decently ductile plastic, so it shouldn't fail particularly catastrophically.

Winthur
2014-08-05, 10:12 PM
Working out is *BORING*

As someone who very recently decided to change his lifestyle and lose weight (started at 100kg, now at 96kg) and who painstakingly got to the point where he can jog for a good 2 kilometers, I propose that if you're bored, you're not exercising intensely enough. I tend to get caught up in thinking about my destination and mustering the will to making these last few steps necessary to make the track; can't be bored in that case, too focused on breathing and keeping the pace on my legs.

I haven't gotten to lifting actual weights aside from my body weight (crunches, sit-ups, what not), but I'd probably be too occupied with not wanting the barbell to fall on my head, or with the pain my joints experience when trying to do a normal push-up.

If that somehow isn't enough, just stick earbuds in your ears and put on your favourite soundtrack. Something like the Mortal Kombat theme to pump you up.

However, due to the fact that 1: exercise is hella intense and you have a pace to keep and 2: this is a perfect time to disconnect yourself from the media bombardment, I'd say - in my newbishness - to just keep focus.

Personally, when my legs are giving out during cardio, I daydream that one day I'll be as ripped as Rin-sempai. It's a good entertainment fix. :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2014-08-05, 10:14 PM
That's good advice. Your mind is the thing that gives out first, without training. Often, before you even lift anything or run anywhere!

SiuiS
2014-08-06, 02:35 AM
A loop through the handle should be fine. That is how the jugs are normally carried anyways, they've been designed to support the weight. If you think you need more because of the stress of them bouncing on that point from running or the like, you could make additional loops to bind the handle and spread out the stress a bit.

Plus it's decently ductile plastic, so it shouldn't fail particularly catastrophically.

Thanks. I suppose I'll find out through stress testing. :)

Crow
2014-08-19, 12:28 AM
Just ditch the pole. :)

http://i0.wp.com/thestonemind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2-upper-body-strength.png

SiuiS
2014-08-19, 12:58 AM
Just ditch the pole. :)

http://i0.wp.com/thestonemind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2-upper-body-strength.png

Bum shoulder from ditching the pole before I knew enough body mechanics And some boxing matches and falling out of a moving vehicle and the bad end of a baseball bat.

RCgothic
2014-08-21, 05:25 AM
I propose that if you're bored, you're not exercising intensely enough.

Doesn't work for me. I certainly appreciate the efficiency of a high intensity workout, but I still get bored out of my mind. Only competitive sport works my mind hard enough to break the boredom of a workout, and finding time, space and partners for that is far less convenient.

@ Siuis: Something like a Tumble Hitch (http://www.animatedknots.com/tumble/) might work. You can put a pin/stick through the loop for additional safety to prevent it coming undone. A few loops through the handle should be sufficient to spread the load. If it turns out to not be enough in practice, the tumble hitch would still work with a sling for the bottle, possibly formed from a double barrel hitch (http://scoutpioneering.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/barrelhitchdrawing.jpg). You can expand the same principle to something more secure if necessary.

SiuiS
2014-08-24, 04:02 AM
Doesn't work for me. I certainly appreciate the efficiency of a high intensity workout, but I still get bored out of my mind. Only competitive sport works my mind hard enough to break the boredom of a workout, and finding time, space and partners for that is far less convenient.

Engagement. Perhaps you're just not the type to enjoy that kind of bodily awareness? Yoga is engaging and such for me but not for my wife.

Although friends and activities helps. I'm thinking about saying screw the weights, lashing the poles into a stretcher and doing an obstacle course of running someone's body between two people across rough terrain and around turns. :smallbiggrin:

@ Siuis: Something like a Tumble Hitch (http://www.animatedknots.com/tumble/) might work. You can put a pin/stick through the loop for additional safety to prevent it coming undone. A few loops through the handle should be sufficient to spread the load. If it turns out to not be enough in practice, the tumble hitch would still work with a sling for the bottle, possibly formed from a double barrel hitch (http://scoutpioneering.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/barrelhitchdrawing.jpg). You can expand the same principle to something more secure if necessary.

Heehee. When I've had a few drinks, tumble high just sounds naughty. I think in blushing. XD

Ooh. Ooh. That knot is sexy. :smalleek: it looks similar to a bowline. Ooh. Thank you, love. Wow.
Man. I really need to get this all going...

Asta Kask
2014-08-24, 05:37 AM
You just need to teach her to do yoga like a cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDSE25i8hEc

JW86
2014-09-02, 08:51 AM
I've not read all of the replies to this thread.

Personally, I've found that joining a group activity is a good way for keeping me engaged. I currently do Crossfit twice a week, and Yoga as-and-when I can.

I find this much better than exercising alone. There is a certain enjoyment in group activity, when we are pushing ourselves and encouraging each other.

This could also apply to martial arts, circuit training, sports, etc.

Hope you find something healthy and fun!