PDA

View Full Version : surprise!

person29
2014-07-23, 06:54 PM
Based on my very little experience playing 5e it seems surprise is extremely powerful. Due to having a full round of actions the surpriser(s) can move into range, attack and move back...then if they lead in initiative get to do it all over again before you can act.

What are your thoughts?

Tholomyes
2014-07-23, 07:15 PM
Based on my very little experience playing 5e it seems surprise is extremely powerful. Due to having a full round of actions the surpriser(s) can move into range, attack and move back...then if they lead in initiative get to do it all over again before you can act.

What are your thoughts?It's powerful, but I wouldn't say extremely so. Honestly, without flatfooted or combat advantage like in previous editions, it's arguable whether it's even as powerful as previous editions. It has some places where it's better than in past editions, but also places where it's not nearly as good. But that's just my feelings, not having run or played in a session yet.

TheOOB
2014-07-24, 02:34 AM

What are your thoughts?

It's powerful yes, but no more powerful than 3.5(it's basically just a free attack), and compared to other RPGs out there it's pretty tame(Shadowrun comes to mind).

Feldarove
2014-07-24, 04:55 PM

What are your thoughts?

It seems pretty powerful.

In 3.5 you were flat footed if you were surprised, but the people who got the jump only had 1 action (move, attack, etc).

In 5e if you win surprise you get to take a "whole turn" and can usually gain advantage on an attack roll.*

*I have been running my group that if you are surprised, attackers have Advantage on their attack rolls during the first round of combat, as that seems to make logical(thematic) sense....but from a mechanical sense, it makes it pretty OP

Feldarove
2014-07-24, 05:01 PM
It seems pretty powerful.

In 3.5 you were flat footed if you were surprised, but the people who got the jump only had 1 action (move, attack, etc).

In 5e if you win surprise you get to take a "whole turn" and can usually gain advantage on an attack roll.*

*I have been running my group that if you are surprised, attackers have Advantage on their attack rolls during the first round of combat, as that seems to make logical(thematic) sense....but from a mechanical sense, it makes it pretty OP

Looking under Surprise and Advantage and Disadvantage in the Basic Rules, there doesn't seem to be anything stating whether or not surprising attackers gain advantage. However, under Hiding , it says that when you come out of hiding, people in combat are alert, and see you. In some circumstances, your DM might allow you to have advantage. I would think that hiding and surprising would be said circumstance.