PDA

View Full Version : Epic one level dip?

Hiro Quester
2014-07-23, 09:08 PM
My grey elf bard 10/sublime chord2/ abjurant champion1/ heartfire fanner6 (modified) is at 19th level, and it looks like our campaign is going to take a bit longer, perhaps to level 22 or 23.

So after level 20 I can't gain new spells known (without epic feat). So I'm looking at all those one level dips that can benefit a characters that I had avoided for not wanting to lose a spellcasting level.

One level of cloistered cleric would gain knowledge domain plus two other domain abilities (travel, plus one other). That would get the travel devotion feat, right? Plus 3+CHA turn attempts to burn on uses of travel devotion.

The ability to get a full round melee attack after moving will be very profitable, with the bard's bonuses to attack and damage from various equipment, snowflake wardance, TWF, ITWF (via heroics), etc, this seems like a good dip.

Also a marshall dip for motivate dexterity aura (everyone gets my CHA bonus to initiative).

Or even a warblade dip (though DM is somewhat ToB averse). With an item of undersong, the bard can uses a huge perform check instead of a concentration check for diamond mind manoevers.

I have never played epic before. Am I reading this right? You get the standard epic increases to saves, bab, etc., and all the class features, bonus feats if the classes you take. Is that right?

Rubik
2014-07-23, 09:23 PM
Make sure to take three levels of cloistered cleric (of Mystra) so you can take the Initiate of Mystra feat. Immunity to AMFs and dead magic zones? Yes!

Though, technically speaking, you don't have to be a cleric of Mystra, since you can worship a cause. Just make sure you have her as one of your patrons.

Vhaidara
2014-07-23, 10:02 PM
IIRC, there's something about the Ardent class from Complete Psionic that keys its manifesting to you character level instead of your class level. So you can grab a level of ardent at 21, and pick up 9th level powers.

Rubik
2014-07-23, 10:03 PM
IIRC, there's something about the Ardent class from Complete Psionic that keys its manifesting to you character level instead of your class level. So you can grab a level of ardent at 21, and pick up 9th level powers.Actually, learning powers is based on your manifester level, rather than your class level. That means that ML boosts increase the level of the powers you can learn.

Hiro Quester
2014-07-23, 10:07 PM
IIRC, there's something about the Ardent class from Complete Psionic that keys its manifesting to you character level instead of your class level. So you can grab a level of ardent at 21, and pick up 9th level powers.

Thanks. But we have no psionics in our campaign.

I'll check out Mystra, though. Immunity to AMFs would be very useful. Beholders have been frequent opponents.

Edit:
Ah.... Mystra is Faerun. We have all books open, but are keeping the standard Greyhawk campaign setting. So no Ebberon, Faerun, etc.

Thanks anyway. That looked awesome for a minute or two.

Vhaidara
2014-07-23, 10:08 PM
Oh god, I just read your comment about a warblade dip.

Are you aware of the skill Perform (Weapon Drill)? It's a perform skill that gets your BAB added to it.

AMFV
2014-07-23, 10:25 PM
What about the Elven High Mage?

Hiro Quester
2014-07-23, 10:30 PM
Oh god, I just read your comment about a warblade dip.

Are you aware of the skill Perform (Weapon Drill)? It's a perform skill that gets your BAB added to it.

You add your bab to it? Wow. Is that in ToB?

Unfortunately, I have put max Into perform (sing). I might consider trading out a semi-useless feat (extra music) for the one that makes all perform checks equal to your max one.

But the bigger issue is that DM is averse to ToB. Our game is complex enough without bringing in stances and maneuvers. But I might work on him about that.

Edit: I see it's from complete champion. And you add half the BAB. And you can't use it as a bardic music performance.

But for further maxing out a perform check instead of a concentration check, those diamond mind manoevers are looking rather tasty.

Further edit. Ninjad.

Vhaidara
2014-07-23, 10:33 PM
Nope, it's from Complete Warrior. It's meant for performance combat, like opening a gladiator match.

And there's a feat called Versatile Performer that lets you treat your ranks in one perform skill as your ranks in Int modifier Perform skills. So if you had a 14 Int, you could use your ranks in Perform (Sing) for Perform (Weapon Drill) (for undersong) and Perform (Wind Instruments) (for a horn, which adds +1 to hit and damage for Inspire Courage, stated in Song and Silence, possibly restated in Complete Adventurer)

Dorian Gray
2014-07-23, 10:40 PM
You could take a 1 or 2 level dip in monk (yes it sucks, but it's good for dipping) and take that feat which lets you use charisma instead of wisdom to AC.

Aside from that... Archmage gives some nice stuff- I'd say it compares favorably to a lot of non-core prcs. The thing to remember is that you can now take levels in classes that don't advance spellcasting, which opens a lot of options.

atemu1234
2014-07-23, 11:02 PM
You could take a 1 or 2 level dip in monk (yes it sucks, but it's good for dipping) and take that feat which lets you use charisma instead of wisdom to AC.

Or battle dancer, so you don't need the feat.

AMFV
2014-07-23, 11:04 PM
Here you go! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a. That should do you.

Hiro Quester
2014-07-23, 11:13 PM
. The thing to remember is that you can now take levels in classes that don't advance spellcasting, which opens a lot of options.

Yes. That's what I'm thinking. Battle dancer is nice. But the bard is now casting a persistent Sirine's grace every morning that adds CHA to AC. So I'm looking at other classes that add interesting melee abilities or feats.

Warblade is looking more and more appealing. Or swiftblade (but the prerequisite feats are tough).

atemu1234
2014-07-23, 11:18 PM
Yes. That's what I'm thinking. Battle dancer is nice. But the bard is now casting a persistent Sirine's grace every morning that adds CHA to AC. So I'm looking at other classes that add interesting melee abilities or feats.

Warblade is looking more and more appealing. Or swiftblade (but the prerequisite feats are tough).

What type of bonus is it? They may stack.

AMFV
2014-07-23, 11:18 PM

Take a look at the Arcane Duellist, Cha to AC, you can boost your damage insanely using the Power Attack to their weird finesse attack loop, and they get a ton of flavorful abilities. They don't get good BAB or Spellcasting, but neither of those progressions matter in Epic, so they're a really good choice there.

Hiro Quester
2014-07-23, 11:34 PM
What type of bonus is it? They may stack.

It's a deflection bonus. It looks like the battledancer's bonus is untyped. Could be interpreted as dodging. Hmmmm...