PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with creating a good character progression

sage20500
2014-07-24, 04:39 AM
I've been playing D&D for a few years now, but up until recently the group I've been playing with was using 4th edition, and at the request of one of our players, our DM is running a 3.5 campaign that I'm now involved in.

This is the first time I've ever tried to make a spell caster in 3.5, and after having to roll my stats I ended up with a 10 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Con, 15 int, 15 Wis, 18 Cha. When looking at all the classes that these stats could potentially succeed in, Warmage seemed like a very interesting idea, so I ended up creating a Warmage who's primary motivation is to be a tactician and eventually start my own military force, as well as before the end of the game, be able to create a staff of meta magic'ed to hell and back fireball. His background was that he graduated in the top of his class for Combat Engineering, and his go to method for solving most problems is to blow it up. His name is going to be Connor Flint O'maley Uriel Ramirez.

Also the starting character level for all players in the group is 4

For source books, our DM is letting us use any official wizards of the coast material that we have access to, and as a house rule is letting characters gain 2 +1 stat growths every 4 character levels, and on ever even level we gain a new feat.

The current build I'm doing for this character is a Lesser Magic Blooded Cansin for an over all LA 0 +2 Int, -2 Wis, +4 Cha racial boost. I was considering also adding the Draconic template as well so that I could gain the Dragonblood subtype without having to spend a feat, but I don't think I can afford to take the level adjustment hit if I want to be able to fully build this character.

Prestige Class wise, I've currently been looking at doing Warmage 6, Incantatrix 8, and either War Mage 5 (Age of Mortals), or possibly either Academy Sorcerer 5 (Also Age of Mortals) or Spellguard of Silverymoon if there's no way i can still manage to meet the pre reqs for War Mage.

Feats that I've been looking at taking so far include:
Required Feats
Iron Will (Required for Incantatrix)
Blistering Spell (Meta magic)
Energy Substitution: Fire (Meta Magic)
Arcane Thesis: Fireball
Energy Admixture: Sonic
Craft Magic Item: Staff
Twin Spell
Metamagic School Focus: Evocation
Leadership

Feats that look really nice
Practical Metamagic
Metamagic Spell Trigger
Spell Focus: Evocation
Elemental Spellcasting: Fire
Invisible Spell
Fiery Burst
Searing Spell
Fiery Spell

So far the only other way for this character to gain the dragonblood subtype it seems would be for either as a feat take the dragontouched feat, of loose +2 Int, +2 Cha and instead change his race to Magic Blooded Silverbrow Human.

Any help you guys could give me to try and make this work or how to make the character concept work even better would be greatly appreciated.

Wacky89
2014-07-24, 04:58 AM
I would go Sorcerer instead and go Arcane Thesis: Wings of Flurry
Fireball is kinda meh cuz it caps at 10d6

but anyways:
Bloodline of Fire is nice +2 CL on fire spells.

sage20500
2014-07-24, 05:02 AM
Whats Wings of Flurry do?

And I thought about doing sorcerer, at the moment Warmage seemed to fit the character idea more with him being trained in a military school to cast spells, also I'm not familiar with how Sorcerers end up getting to choose what spells they know. The biggest draw with Warmage right now is that all of my spells are already done, and I can choose to latter on add some more spells to that list with the advanced learning option.

Wacky89
2014-07-24, 05:11 AM
Whats Wings of Flurry do?

And I thought about doing sorcerer, at the moment Warmage seemed to fit the character idea more with him being trained in a military school to cast spells, also I'm not familiar with how Sorcerers end up getting to choose what spells they know. The biggest draw with Warmage right now is that all of my spells are already done, and I can choose to latter on add some more spells to that list with the advanced learning option.

Sorcerer only spell that does:
1d6 force dmg pr lvl not capped
30 ft radius burst
30 ft range
you can choose which targets it hits so no ally misfire
and if they fail reflex save they are dazed 1 round

sage20500
2014-07-24, 05:29 AM
Are there any spells similar to Wings of Flurry that possibly have longer range or can be use in more of the Artillery sort of fashion? My character's AC as a Warmage is only 17 because I'm able to cast spells at no penalty in +1 Chain shirt and use a +1 buckler. My total health also drops from 15 down to 10. Since his dex and con are so average I'm hoping to have him function as the magical artillery piece in the back of the fight, which is why I was originally looking at fireball as his arcane thesis spell.

sage20500
2014-07-24, 03:35 PM
Also does bloodline of fire raise the caster level by 2? I thought it only affected the dc?

Pluto!
2014-07-24, 03:41 PM
There are 2 feats with that name. The more recent version gives +2 CL, the older version gives +2 DC. The newer versions of material are supposed to overwrite the older ones, but it's basically up to your group how that's handled.

sage20500
2014-07-24, 04:05 PM
Is the newer version located in the Players Guide to Faerun book? Or is it from somewhere different?

sage20500
2014-07-24, 06:02 PM
So question about a possible thing I could use from complete scoundrel, I've seen some people mention using Otyugh Hole as a character back story trait in order to get Iron Will as a free feat for themselves,

Since we're starting our characters out at level 4, we have 5,400 gold to use towards our items. Somewhere around 1,200 of it was originally being used towards getting my character +1 chain shirt, which means I could potentially use 3000 gold to say that before he ended up where the group is right now, that he sought out Otyugh Hole in order to mediate there to test himself. However I know that we're not allowed to spend over a certain amount of gold on any 1 item. Would I be able to still do this with a level 4 character? Or would I have to ask to DM to let my character journey at some point before level 7 in order to meditate there and qualify to gain the feat?

Karnith
2014-07-24, 06:11 PM
Is the newer version located in the Players Guide to Faerun book? Or is it from somewhere different?
The newer (3.5) version is in Player's Guide to Faerun, p. 35. The older (3.0) version was in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, p. 34.