PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Frozen Berserker + Blazing Berserker

Smorgonoffz
2014-07-24, 11:28 AM
In the great barbarian guide written by Eldariel is written that:

Frozen berserker and blazing berserker stack with each other, i'd like to know why?.
I remember that having the fire subtype wouldn't let you get the ice subtype and viceversa.

squiggit
2014-07-24, 12:01 PM
I can't find any rule of the sort.

Hazrond
2014-07-24, 12:24 PM
In the great barbarian guide written by Eldariel is written that:

Frozen berserker and blazing berserker stack with each other, i'd like to know why?.
I remember that having the fire subtype wouldn't let you get the ice subtype and viceversa.

That would be a houserule good sir :smallamused:

Red Fel
2014-07-24, 12:39 PM
It is possible to have opposing subtypes. For example, I remember an Outsider (although the name escapes me) that was the demented spawn of LG Outsiders and LE Outsiders. The result was some sort of LN Murderbeast with the (Good) and (Evil) subtypes.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-24, 12:40 PM
That would be a houserule good sir :smallamused:

Like so many "rules" that get thrown around.

Darrin
2014-07-24, 12:50 PM

Partly because the designers didn't anticipate that players would treat templates as an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord, but mostly because it's funny.

Necroticplague
2014-07-24, 03:02 PM

Why wouldn't they? The rule you're talking about doesn't actually exist. Its not under Fire (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_firesubtype&alpha=), cold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_coldsubtype&alpha=C), or just subtype (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_subtype&alpha=S) in general.

Waddacku
2014-07-24, 07:56 PM
Partly because the designers didn't anticipate that players would treat templates as an all-you-can-eat smorgasbord, but mostly because it's funny.
Those are both completely regular feats, though.

Mato
2014-07-24, 08:55 PM
Frozen berserker and blazing berserker stack with each other, i'd like to know why?They do stack with each other, and why is because rule wise it's allowed to have both (there is even a printed dragon in FR with both subtypes) and damage wise 0x1.5 is still 0 given us stacking conditions where having both subtypes is favorable.

Ravens_cry
2014-07-24, 10:53 PM
Have a Giant Barbarian with both feats and call him Ymir.:smalltongue:

Smorgonoffz
2014-07-25, 02:08 AM
Thanks to everyone .

XmonkTad
2014-07-25, 02:48 AM
It is possible to have opposing subtypes. For example, I remember an Outsider (although the name escapes me) that was the demented spawn of LG Outsiders and LE Outsiders. The result was some sort of LN Murderbeast with the (Good) and (Evil) subtypes.

You're thinking of the Concordant Killer from MM4. It doesn't actually have both good and evil subtypes, though it can use all the detection alignment spells and all its weapons are holy/unholy/axiomatic/anarchic. I think the pact primeval is both good and evil and it confuses those who walk near it.

More to the OP, yeah, mix subtypes all you want. Good/evil, lawful/chaotic, fire/cold, native/extraplanar, or all of the above. Your head may start attracting books if you add on too many.