PDA

View Full Version : Trial by fire.

Blink Knight
2014-07-24, 12:32 PM
An elf, dwarf, gnome, and human all head in the barracks at different times. Though they all had widely varying appearances, motivations, and abilities, they all possessed identical letters requesting their presence at precisely noon and offering up much in the way of fame and good old fashioned coin if they'd only complete an important difficult task.

The city of Weyt was relatively safe, so there were not many soldiers about, though the few they did see moving weapons around, jogging rapidly in place, or sparring furiously with inanimate objects all seemed a bit subdued and paid them little attention.

Their host however was as punctual as he sounded and considerably more energetic. The instant the door opened and Commander Ryans stepped in the room, all of them immediately stopped whatever they were doing, turned, and saluted. This show of discipline was interrupted by a series of metallic crashes as one of them forgot to put the maces on the shelf first and dropped them, making the entire rack gone. On that day, the most noble pride was slain. Fortunately no one else was hurt.

Once the commander had managed to remove his palm from his face and things settled down he did a quick count. "One, two, three, four. Excellent all here and all on time. So I won't waste any of yours. Gentlemen, if you will follow me to the war room I will explain our situation."

With that he turned around and started walking. The war room wasn't as impressive as it sounded, and given that there hadn't been a war in any of these men's father's lifetimes that wasn't a surprise. Still, there was a sturdy table with plenty of small holes in it, more than enough chairs for everyone, and maps on the wall of the city, the immediate area, the region, and the continent. There were also some of the eastern forest though those were almost entirely unmarked.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 02:19 PM
Ambrose chuckles as he follows the commander into the war room.
So, what's the work, berk?

Hamste
2014-07-24, 02:37 PM
Pyrom nearly frowned at the dropped mace. The commanders had almost assuredly made sure the troops were as impressive as possible for visitors and it was unfortunate the illusion was broken by that show of how untrained they really were. Either the person who had been using the mace was new or they didn't practice with it enough to know how to properly put it back. Though to be fair they probably didn't have to deal with many real threats in quite some time but it still would be better if they trained a bit harder. He just waited quietly for the explanation of what was going on.

Blink Knight
2014-07-24, 04:59 PM
As formal and organized as he acted himself, he seemed quite unperturbed by a lack of the same in others.

"Some of this you might know already but... a few years ago we started expanding out within the eastern forests, here." he says, indicating the map of the region. "A group of colonists worked their way in, found a good spot and made their homes there. As you might expect the lumber is great there, but it took discovering the land was rich in gems before people really took an interest in it. Can't say I blame em, it's not the safest of places and no one wants to fight all the time. Even so, some would risk it and trade's been strong ever since. Any merchant willing to make the route would make a killing, same for anyone who could handle a blade and stare down the wild life. Problem is, something changed recently."

"First one of our merchants stopped coming back, then another. No one heard a word from them since they headed in. I figured it was just bandits and sent some soldiers to route em. Nothing. Then I sent a group of my finest in, and they fared no better. Everyone here now knows someone that hasn't came back." The normally not very emotive soldier looked away. A few moments of silence followed before he collected himself.

"So I paid a priest out of my own pocket to have the gods themselves allow me to speak with the colonial leader directly. The spell failed. Apparently that only happens when the person you want is no longer in this world or the gods themselves are meddling with it. Callous as it might seem, I'd rather it be the former. Mortals can solve problems of dead men, but challenging the gods just annoys the gods."

"In any case, that's why you're all here. A merchant could have been robbed, or a recruit or two gotten cold feet. But when whole squads start vanishing it's more than just opportunistic beasts or men that live like beasts. Something's going on in there and it's done enough harm. Find out what's going on in that region and do what you need to do to make it... well not safe, but no more dangerous than it was before. And if it is men, boot each and every one of em in the head once. For me."

Although much quieter than the speaker's deep voice, the both of you are sure you hear footsteps approach the war room door and stop just outside it. Whoever it is was trying to be quiet.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 05:07 PM
Ambrose looks at the door, then back to the commander
Ah, so we're going to look for bandits? What's the pay, blue jay?
After he speaks, he makes his way over to the door quietly and opens it.

Stealth: [roll0]

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 06:18 PM
If these foes are truly disrupting holy magic, then smiting them shall be my reward. Let us be off as soon as possible. The sooner we pursue these enemies, the less likely it is for some cultist leader to wreak havoc with his unholy ritual.

Sophos, a tall dragonborn with a snaking purple tattoo down his right eye, speaks in a lofty but almost mesmerizing voice, and carries a kusarigama on his side and a spiked shield on his back. As he mentions smiting the enemy, he grips his kusarigama's scythe, looking a bit too eager to find a fight, considering his paladin status.

Blink Knight
2014-07-24, 06:30 PM
"If they were just bandits they'd be back here in chains by now, assuming my sister didn't get fed up with em and hung em upside down till they went straight on the spot. It's worse than that but don't know what."

Ambrose started heading for the door, and it seemed their employer was about to say something. When he opened it and made the young adult who was listening in practically jump out of his skin he shot an angry look at the eavesdropper.

"OI! You weren't supposed to know I was there."

"And you weren't supposed to be there at all. Explain yourself James. Quickly."

"No offense or nothing boss, but you stand too tall and proud to know much about this."

The commander looked insulted, but crossed his arms and gave him a chance to speak.

"The mercenary business was real good as long as them fat cats needed guarding. Thing is, when they stopped you'd think they'd need new employers but no. Business got even better. Sell swords are still going that way, get what I mean? They won't talk about their work, but they won't accept any other now. They say it don't pay as much." He seemed rather bitter about this last point.

"Someone's buying up all the muscle for themselves, and I don't think it's white or grey market work."

Commander Ryans does not seem happy with the news but does seem satisfied with the explanation.

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 06:39 PM
Well, I'm no savant, but it seems we may have to deal with some sellswords as well as a cult. Perhaps I should find something nonlethal to bludgeon them with... From what I've seen, mercenaries don't deserve death at my blade. Everybody has a family to feed, even if it's a family of one.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 06:43 PM
Ambrose chuckles at the dragonborn.
Your high honor won't do us much good. Just ain't a place for it, when you're knifin' men in the wood.

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 06:47 PM
Sophos chuckles back at the whisper gnome, saying "Ha, we'll see if you feel the same way when my honor manifests itself as a restorative magics, and you're bleeding to death. But that's besides the point. Commander, when can we leave? The longer we dally, the longer any lurking, nefarious beings out there have to wreak havoc."

But don't worry too much, I grew up on the streets. I know when to be honorable and when you just need to survive.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 06:59 PM
Ambrose just grins at the dragonborn
No need to explain to me, just back off when I'm on a killing spree.
Turning to the captain, he repeats his earlier question
If I may be so bold, our pay will be how much in gold?

Blink Knight
2014-07-24, 07:05 PM
Ryans watches the exchange wordlessly for a while before adding,

"And just how do you know all this?"

"Because now my best contacts won't sign on unless I give them half the city, that's how. One of them came back with his sword on fire. It didn't burn nothing though. Who hands out magic fire swords for work like this?"

James gets a disapproving stare, but that's all.

"Right then. I will need to have a word with my men later." Ryans says, in a tone that suggested he meant that in the singular, specific sense.

"Whenever you're sure you are ready you can head out. The settlement is just over a hundred miles in, you should prepare for a few days travel and make sure you have a safe camp. Unless you're supremely confident in your woodsman skills stay on the road, it's a straight shot there. We never heard of anything other than wild animals bothering travelers but who knows what's deep in there or what's there now? I sure as hell wouldn't want to get lost there. And if someone is buying up our own against us expect a fight."

"Hey boss."

"What is it James?"

"They want pay."

"..."

"..."

Then, at the same time:

"I thought that was your job."

A short staring contest followed, but James broke away first.

"Fine, I'll handle it. But this is coming out of your pouch old man."

Ryans grunted and nodded.

"Thousand each now, more depending on degree of success. Not to mention all those nice magic swords and silvery armors you sorts like. Place is full of em apparently, if you have the sack for it."

"James.. Enough."

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 07:08 PM
Don't worry about the gold too much. Once I have enough cash to ensure I can keep people alive, I'll give people the rest of my share of the loot.

Hearing the conversation between the two, Sophos chuckles again. Ah, gold. I don't miss worrying over my purse.

But, flaming swords... a rather expensive magical weapon for a sellsword. Very well then. Once preparations are made, let us be off.

I'm going to go buy a sap and some various mundane travelling stuff with my leftover gold. Anything we don't have?

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 07:15 PM
Ambrose gives the dragonborn a curious look before returning his gaze to the captain.
Very well, good sir, you have told me my fee. Now I shall do your bidding, with unnatural glee.
Ambrose heads out to procure supplies.

And time to add the Arms and Equipment Guide to my inventory

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 07:44 PM
Sophos goes off to buy various mundane gear, returning once finished.

Mundane Gear:
Ten foot pole (2 sp)
Twine, 50 ft (1 sp)
Trail Rations x12 (12)
Auran Mask x1 (60)
Bottle of Wine (2)
Tent (10)
Vial of Ink (9)
Waterskin x5 (5)
Clearwater Tablet x8 (8)
Bedroll (1 sp)
Crowbar (2)
Manacles (15)
Simple Lock (20)
Piton x30 (3)
Notepad (25 sheets) (5)
Chalk (1 cp)
Hempen Rope, 200 ft (4)
Grappling Hook x4 (4)
Handaxe (6)
165 gp, 4 sp and 1 cp. I have 1 gp and 9 cp left.

You probably want to note the edit to Blink Knight's post.

Hamste
2014-07-24, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm no savant, but it seems we may have to deal with some sellswords as well as a cult. Perhaps I should find something nonlethal to bludgeon them with... From what I've seen, mercenaries don't deserve death at my blade. Everybody has a family to feed, even if it's a family of one.

Eh, Bandits and Assassins are paid to kill people as well and I don't see many arguing that they don't deserve death. It is all about whom they choose to work for and what they are willing to do for their master. Anyways, I'm pretty confident in my ability to go through the forest if we need to. Of course, if the road is a straight shot that will be faster than if we went through the forest but it is good to know that we can go through it if we need to. I will need to go buy some food, I have been foraging off the land for the last couple of days, also think we should get horses? It could speed up travel but who knows how long they will actually survive once it gets to fighting.

[roll0] spellcraft check to recognize the spell (probably continual flame) or magic item that caused the flaming effect on the weapon seeing it doesn't sound like flaming due to it not burning anything (I'm assuming a description counts as "able to detect the spell".). Also using Knowledge (Nature) to predict the weather for the next few days [roll1] just because it could be nice to know.

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 07:54 PM
True. If the mercenaries are willingly doing questionable work, perhaps they are not so innocent. In any case, I'd prefer not to use horses, as I never learned to ride, unlike most paladins.

Hamste
2014-07-24, 08:01 PM
True. If the mercenaries are willingly doing questionable work, perhaps they are not so innocent. In any case, I'd prefer not to use horses, as I never learned to ride, unlike most paladins.

Fair enough, I can't ride well either. Well I'm off to shop. Pyrom said before heading off to buy his own gear.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 08:03 PM
Ambrose nods.
I would not choose to ride, for it causes a pain in my side.
He heads for the door.
Meet you at the gate, need to see a man about an estate.

piercetbh
2014-07-24, 10:08 PM
"Wait, you're all going shopping? Bah, what are we, women? I'm here to get money, not spend it!" The eccentric Swashbuckler claimed, making a not-so-subtle nod in the general direction of Commander Ryans as he came to the words 'get money.' He turned to the door and began to swagger out, hands in pockets as he went.

"Then again...there is one item I might need. Perhaps I'll just go down to the market and pick it up quickly."

Buying an extremely fancy hat: -10 GP

Then I'm headed to the gate.

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 10:11 PM
Well then, it seems we're all ready for our expedition. Let's get going, shall we?

Sophos begins walking to where the commander indicated the party should go.

Took off platemail so we can get there in 4 days, instead of 7. It means my armor class is complete junk until I burn a turning attempt, but I think it'd be worth it to my character.

Hamste
2014-07-24, 10:51 PM
Ok, so let's hurry. It should start raining in a couple days and I don't know how long that will last but it looks like there might be some thunderstorms rolling in. No one wants to walk in that stuff for too long. Also when it is time to rest how are we splitting up the watch? I would prefer the early morning watch sometime after midnight myself as that should allow me to recover my spells in time for the watch. Pyrom said as he idly flipped open his book and looked through it as he continued walking. He was particularly proud of his latest spell. Who cared that the wizards didn't understand it or that it should be impossible for him to cast it with out divine intervention, he was just a genius and they simply couldn't comprehend his complex rituals and equations.

Vhaidara
2014-07-24, 10:57 PM
Ambrose walks along beside the group, keeping up easily despite his short legs.
I'll take any shift, though my eyelids are sometimes hard to lift.

r2d2go
2014-07-24, 10:58 PM
I, too, need to prepare spells. However, as my capabilities are not primarily rooted in them, I can take any watch if needed, and I can meditate for the spells while on watch. In terms of rain, I have purchased a tent, so we should be somewhat sheltered while we sleep, though perhaps a bit cramped.

Hold on... Pyrom, was it? I heard elves do not need as much sleep as most. Would it be possible for you to take a double shift, once you have prepared your spells? Otherwise, with only four in our party, we must take more than ten hours total to rest.

piercetbh
2014-07-25, 12:09 AM
"Actually, thanks to this trinket I won in a game of Three Dragon Ante against a generous little Kobold..." Manley said, extending his hand and pointing to one of the two metal bands he wore before continuing.

"I only need two hours of sleep. Ta-da. With that in mind, I could manage most of the watch by myself, and the elf can take the last bit. In eight hours, everybody is rested, and somebody's watching the camp at all times. Brilliant."

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 01:08 AM
Excellent! Then, hopefully, we will make it to our destination unscathed.

Which means I vote we fast forward to the next encounter, or to the destination :smalltongue:

Edit: Also check the OoC thread for my description of a suggested travel formation.

Vhaidara
2014-07-25, 01:10 AM
Onward to glory, before the grass gets all hoary.

Blink Knight
2014-07-25, 01:08 PM
The group heads out the east gate, which was only clear for a half mile or so before vanishing within the forest. Once away from anyone else, you stop for a little while to discuss your travel plans among yourselves before heading into the woods. It almost immediately becomes darker as the branches block out some of the sunlight overhead, but not enough to impede traveling, particularly since the road was almost as straight as they were told it was with few bends and no detours or side paths. In most places the path was 40 feet wide, occasionally narrowing when a massive tree cut into it, or the pioneers found a boulder too large to move easily.

The woods sounded like they were full of life - birds, small woodland creatures, the odd wolf howls or tiger roar or something bigger... but no one ever saw anything larger or more menacing than a ferocious squirrel chasing down one of its own for stealing a branch loaded with nuts.

After making good progress on the first day you find a spot not far off the beaten path and make camp. While you remain vigilant against intrusion, none comes, and you make it through the night without incident.

The second day goes much like the first, except that it seems a bit darker. You remember the warning about thunderstorm forecasts, but get nothing but a bit of light rain on and off throughout the day. You make camp a second time safely, get up, and head out again.

Ambrose takes point with the others well within visual contact range as they pass through yet another narrower portion of the road. It was for this reason they saw him take a step, look alarmed and try to jump back but not fast enough. Something wooden cracks under his feet and the ground gives way! Ambrose drops out of sight.

. p . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
S . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . P
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
M . . .

While you were too slow to avoid the pit entirely, once you realized what was happening you manage to land properly a second or two later at the bottom of a pit. Looking up you see the sun shining down through the branches and through the hollow portion you fell through, the latter of which lies 40 feet away. If there were someone to your left they might have also fallen in, as the pit bisects half the road. You see claw marks on the walls, belonging to some large burrowing creature. You don't see or hear any signs of it though.

OOC: Ambrose makes a Reflex save: 4+9 = Failure. Ambrose makes an Acrobatics check: 9+16 = 20 feet of fall damage prevented. Ambrose falls in the pit and takes 6 damage (6 prevented by acrobatics, 0 resisted).

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 01:12 PM
At the first sign of trouble, Sophos' snaps to attention, shield up and kusarigama magically flying into his hand, ready to start casting the moment someone attacks.

Guard up everyone. Traps mean attackers.

Sophos will carefully move 20 feet towards the place where there was a crack, and readies an action to cast Angelskin if there should be any aggression.

How wide, exactly, is the road here? If Pyrom is within 30 feet of only one edge, I'll want to ask him to move towards the other, while if he's within 30 feet of both, I'll want him to move towards me so I can protect him more easily.

Hamste
2014-07-25, 01:52 PM
Pyrom looked at the pit. You ok down there? Are there spikes or anything down there? How deep is it down there? He called as he starts casting a spell on himself. If there was a fight he might as well make himself harder to hit. He then moved behind Sophos as they ordered.

Casting magic vestment on himself. Next 8 hours+4 ac, He will also move as Sophos said to

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 02:41 PM
Pyrom, keep just out of arms reach behind me. It'll let me defend you while making sure no one can attack both of us at once without a spell or a polearm. Manley, stick behind further so we don't all get fried by a fireball, but close enough so that you can flank if we get attacked.

Two squares behind me (adjacent to forest). That way you can only be attacked from behind without provoking my AoOs, and any melee attackers open themselves to Manley + me flanking. This is assuming I can see into the forest a bit and make AoOs there, otherwise stay one square away from the forest.

Blink Knight
2014-07-25, 06:05 PM
OOC: Because there's little ambiguity about what you'll do next I'm gonna go ahead and move it forward. Also, readying actions outside of combat sets an unfortunate, and very lethal (for you) precedent. You can just cast it normally though.

After your pointman takes a pratfall, the rest of you cautiously advance, without gathering up.

"I am fine, so long as whatever dug this does not come back to dine."

Before he could get out of the pit though a pair of humanoid figures emerges from the forest, silent as ghosts and undetected until they chose to reveal themselves despite your vigilance. Their bodies were shrouded in green and brown robes adorned with the image of an animal's paw stepping on someone's swordarm and nothing else. While they're at least a few inches taller than you and very wide, they appear to be female.

This suspicion was confirmed a moment later as one of them says something that sounds incoherent on a deep female voice.

"Hgn! Suxk ckyzkxt yiashgmy! Mkz znks hkluxk znke xkgin znkox sgyzkx!"

While Pyrom isn't clear who these ladies are, why they are wearing these robes, or why they are fluent in the Goblin tongue, because that is one of the many things he studied he understands them perfectly.

"Bah! More western scumbags! Get them before they reach their master!"

Suddenly, they begin moving far faster than anything of that size rightfully should. Sophos takes a spinning kick to the head hard enough to make him reel for a split second before recovering. That caused the follow up punch to come just short of his face, but didn't spare him from the pair of gauntleted fists pummeling his chest.

The other advances forward and gives Pyrom a good healthy boot to the head. As he is considerably less hardy than his armored friend he doesn't fare nearly as well and wobbles back and forth on his feet. He then takes a haymaker to the face, but his assailant pauses just before attacking again.

"Ckgqrotmy. Gz rkgyz ck jkte nos iuxvyky."

Though he can't quite seem to get the hang of this whole moving your lips thing right now, Pyrom remains aware enough of his surroundings to know that she just said, "Weaklings. At least we deny him corpses."

As strong and agile as they appeared, they seemed to be deliberately giving you a chance to fight back. Was this a game to them?

Initiative:

Manley: 21.
Ambrose: 20. (Still in a pit, has one round prior to battle to do something about that.)
Sophos: 8.
Robed figures: 7.
Pyrom: 4. (Spends entire round stunned.)

Ambrose: 74/80.
Manley: 80/80.
Pyrom: 9/64.
Sophos: 43/104.

(Bolded characters can take actions in any order.)

. p . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
R . . .
. S . .
. . . .
. . . .
. P . .
. . R .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . M .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

Checks to notice their approach: Ambrose: Failure because he can't see through the ground. Sophos: 12+0 = Failure. Manley: 1+14 = Failure. Pyrom: 18+(-2) = Failure.

Attacks:
Sophos: Hit, Miss, Hit, Hit. Sophos takes a total of 61 damage (35 resisted).
Sophos attempts to resist something: 10+15 = Success.
Pyrom: Hit, Hit. Pyrom takes a total of 55 damage (0 resisted).
Pyrom attempts to resist something: 4+6 = Failure. Pyrom is stunned for 1 round.

piercetbh
2014-07-25, 07:23 PM
"Watch out, mate, watch out!" Manley called, frowning as they were jumped and his ally, right in front of him, seemed defenceless against...whatever they were dealing with. Whatever, he totally had a plan for this situation. For now, his swords remained in their sheaths, for he didn't quite need them yet; instead, he lightly crouched and then leapt up, channelling the grace he had unlocked in swashbuckler school to leap to his ally's rescue. Landing behind his robed foe, the cocky fighter reached out and attempted to take hold of them.

If he had a successful grip he would then sweep out with the leg, knocking them off their feet and throwing them away from the injured man they were attacking.

Character Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=963446)
Swift Action: Sudden Leap 15 Feet to flank with Pyrom, assuming he has his sword out.
Standard Action: Attempt to Comet Throw the enemy as far below me (ie. away from the rest of the fight and Pyrom) as my check will allow, up to a limit of 30 feet.
Touch Attack: [roll0] Takes a -2 Penalty if Pyrom isn't threatening.
Dexterity Check: [roll1]
Move Action: Draw Swords and, if Comet Throw was successful, move towards robed figure.

. p . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
R . . .
. S . .
. . . .
. . . .
. P . .
. . R .
. . . M
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

Blink Knight
2014-07-25, 07:32 PM
Manley hardly seems put off by how capable they are of smacking his buddies around and jumps right in there. He lands behind one of the robed figures and calmly throws her down the road. They actually seem rather impressed by this, even as he advances after them.

. p . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
R . . .
. S . .
. . . .
. . . .
. P . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . M
. . . R
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 10:59 PM
Has Ambrose already taken his turn? If not, scratch all of this. Also, since I couldn't ready anything, can I have my Divine Spirit out (or just cast Angelskin) before combat instead? I wasn't sure what you meant by "you can just cast it" - did you mean before or after combat started, since that's what I would have done?

Sophos' glances back at Pyrom, his eyes full of indecision. However, he steels himself, and begins to move backwards. "I'm sorry, Pyrom, but if they mean to kill you you're already dead - I must save the group. My holy familiar will heal you soon, but for now I must act as tactical. I swear, if your death is on my watch, I will both avenge you and bring you back.

Move back to the square in front of Pyrom, cast Angelskin, gaining DR 10/silver and evil. If I have to declare smite evil now, declare it for the round.

Sophos' glances back at Pyrom, his eyes full of indecision. However, he steels himself, and begins swinging his kusarigama. "I'm sorry, Pyrom, but if they mean to kill you you're already dead - I must save the group. I swear, if your death is on my watch, I will avenge you, and then I shall bring you back.

Activate Haste, Full Attack Smite + Divine Might + Sudden Stun.
First attack: [roll0], [roll1]
Second attack: [roll2], [roll3]
Third attack: [roll4], [roll5]
Sudden stun (ref DC 20) on first successful attack.

Edit: Forgot Haste's +1 to attack, so add one. Also, if I had Angelskin out, I take -40% damage then -10 damage per attack.

If anyone provokes an AoO, take the AoO and use Stand Still.

Vhaidara
2014-07-25, 11:01 PM
Ambrose clambers towards the exit of the pit.

I'm getting out of the pit.

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 11:06 PM
Ambrose! Do you know what the hell just happened?

Vhaidara
2014-07-25, 11:07 PM
I fell down a bloody pit, you stupid git!

r2d2go
2014-07-25, 11:08 PM
I noticed. What I meant was, did you notice anything that will help us not all get brutally murdered.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 01:05 AM
Sophos and Ambrose go back and forth, before the latter finishes climbing his way out. He gets back on the ground just in time to see Sophos strike out angrily with his blade. It flashes with a white light, and she does not sound happy to be hit by it. This is soon followed by a yellow light, and the figure begins wobbling unsteadily. Sophos doesn't let up though and smacks her a second time, but even without her full faculties she still dodges the third.

Pyrom stares off into space a little longer before shaking his head, recovering from having the wits beaten out of him.

One of them rocks back and forth, while the other gets up off the ground, sidesteps, and turns into a whirlwind of murder. Manley reactions on pure instinct and avoids most of the attacks. But only most. She hits him hard enough to knock him off the ground and back. Fortunately he doesn't go far. Unfortunately that's because he got slammed against a tree. He could take one hit like that, but not two, and when he smashes against the tree a second time he doesn't get back up.

Initiative:

Ambrose: 20.
Pyrom: 4.

Manley: -7/80. KOed, not stable.
Sophos: 43/104.

. p . .
. A . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
R . . .
. S . .
. . . .
. . . .
. P . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . R M
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

Pyrom recovers from being Stunned.
The robed figure attempts to resist stunning: 2+? = Failure. She is stunned for 2 rounds.

Why yes, a 24 did just miss her stunned AC. Monks are actually serious now.

The other robed figure gets up. This provokes an AoO from Manley. Unless that, or one of those Immediate action maneuvers changes things Manley takes a total of 86 damage (0 resisted) and is knocked unconscious.

Vhaidara
2014-07-26, 01:17 AM
Ambrose quickly moves into a flanking position behind one of the figures, drawing his daggers as he moves. Striking a high note, his blows flurry almost faster than the eye can see.

Okay, this is going to be long.
Move Action: Moving to flank with Sophos
Pop 5 Inspiration for 5d6 Sneak Attack, and pop 6 for 2 more standard actions.
3 Standard actions = 3 full attacks

1 Main Hand 1
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm:[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Fire: [roll3]
Sneak Attack: [roll4]
Crit Damage: [roll5]

1 Off Hand 1
Attack: [roll6]
Crit Confirm:[roll7]
Damage: [roll8]
Shock: [roll9]
Sneak Attack: [roll10]
Crit Damage: [roll11]

1 Main Hand 2
Attack: [roll12]
Crit Confirm:[roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Fire: [roll15]
Sneak Attack: [roll16]
Crit Damage: [roll17]

1 Off Hand 2
Attack: [roll18]
Crit Confirm:[roll19]
Damage: [roll20]
Shock: [roll21]
Sneak Attack: [roll22]
Crit Damage: [roll23]

2 Main Hand 1
Attack: [roll24]
Crit Confirm:[roll25]
Damage: [roll26]
Fire: [roll27]
Sneak Attack: [roll28]
Crit Damage: [roll29]

2 Off Hand 1
Attack: [roll30]
Crit Confirm:[roll31]
Damage: [roll32]
Shock: [roll33]
Sneak Attack: [roll34]
Crit Damage: [roll35]

2 Main Hand 2
Attack: [roll36]
Crit Confirm:[roll37]
Damage: [roll38]
Fire: [roll39]
Sneak Attack: [roll40]
Crit Damage: [roll41]

2 Off Hand 2
Attack: [roll42]
Crit Confirm:[roll43]
Damage: [roll44]
Shock: [roll45]
Sneak Attack: [roll46]
Crit Damage: [roll47]

3 Main Hand 1
Attack: [roll48]
Crit Confirm:[roll49]
Damage: [roll50]
Fire: [roll51]
Sneak Attack: [roll52]
Crit Damage: [roll53]

3 Off Hand 1
Attack: [roll54]
Crit Confirm:[roll55]
Damage: [roll56]
Shock: [roll57]
Sneak Attack: [roll58]
Crit Damage: [roll59]

3 Main Hand 2
Attack: [roll60]
Crit Confirm:[roll61]
Damage: [roll62]
Fire: [roll63]
Sneak Attack: [roll64]
Crit Damage: [roll65]

3 Off Hand 2
Attack: [roll66]
Crit Confirm:[roll67]
Damage: [roll68]
Shock: [roll69]
Sneak Attack: [roll70]
Crit Damage: [roll71]

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 01:32 AM
Ambrose doesn't so much execute a dedicated attack strategy so much as he stabs really fast in the direction of the stunned figure and hopes his blades find some face. Well they probably could not reach that high, but that wouldn't stop him from trying to not be dying!

While for the most part he does exactly that - stabs really fast at her and just hopes he hits something, a few times he actually does connect, and a few times was all he needed to bring her down. The other, you were quite sure was quirking a brow.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 01:35 AM
How in the arbitrarily large number of hells did you just...

Sophos shakes his head at his shockingly nimble opponent before moving towards Manley, his face looking almost panicked when he sees his ally unconscious and bleeding on the floor. Then, seeing Ambrose's supernaturally fast strikes, his previously hardened complexion relaxes slightly. "Looks like you've got this covered. Pyrom, if you're feeling up to it, I need you to help me take the other one down. I heard you can use divine spells with your arcane magic - if you've got anything that'll make it easier to beat him down, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, softening him up would be nice. The sooner he's dead, the more likely you are to stay alive, and the sooner I can heal you.

Once Pyrom acts, activate Haste and move 2 squares abave the second guy, same attack routine as before.
[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
Sudden Stunning again on the first successful hit.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 02:19 AM
She just laughs, which might have sounded pleasant were you not in such an abusive relationship with her. Sophos just continues the assault. However a little of that divine luck left him. Not much, but just enough so that his blade kept coming just shy of its rapidly moving mark.

"Eua gxk znk loxyz zu hkyz utk ul ay ot sutzny. Nk mxucy ykxouay znkt?"

Either she only speaks Goblin, really likes the language, or perhaps its her native language. She definitely isn't a standard goblin though, she could throw them around all day. Whatever her reasons for her choice of dialog, Pyrom remains the only one that has any clue what the hell she's saying. "You are the first to best one of us in months. He grows serious then?"

Hardly seeming perturbed, she takes more careful aim. She has no more trouble launching him and all his heavy armor than she did Manley, and while said heavy armor did protect him from the assault, and the painful slamming against trees it did not protect him enough. He hits the tree a third time, followed by the ground. She immediately turns her attentions to Pyrom.

Fortunately, the only thing she hits him with are words. Lots of words.

"Eua ngbk g inuoik. Utk: Qkkv lomnzotm. Eua mkz utk ynuz zu qorr sk. Ol tuz, eua qtuc ckrr gy O O iuarj ngbk qorrkj eua lxus znk yzgxz. Kbkt ol eua ju eua tkkj zu mkz eua - gtj znks uaz ul uax cuujy hkluxk gte tashkx ul znotmy ux ixkgzaxky lotoyn znk puh. Zcu, eua mobk ay cngz ck cgtz. Cnkxk oy znk tkixusgtikx?"

"You have a choice. One: Keep fighting. You get one shot to kill me. If not, you know well as I I could have killed you from the start. Even if you do you need to get you - and them out of our woods before any number of things or creatures finish the job. Two, you give us what we want. Where is the necromancer?"

Initiative:

Ambrose: 20.
Pyrom: 4.

Manley: -7/80. KOed, not stable.
Sophos: -9/104.

. p . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
A R . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. P . .
. . . .
. . . S
. . R .
. . . M
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .
. . . .

Sophos attacks! Miss! Miss! Miss! He swears at the DM and reminds him the Monks are those girls, over there, and Flurry of Misses is their job!
The remaining figure attacks Sophos: Hit! Hit!
Sophos (and Manley) have no real chance of resisting the Dungeoncrashes.
Sophos takes 52 damage (80 resisted) and is knocked out.

The last second edit doesn't actually change anything except where Sophos falls at. So rather than rewrite the entire post to account for the triple miss not actually happening and the Sophos missile launching changing trajectories in a generally leftish direction I'm just gonna leave it. It could have made the difference as that movement would provoke (while a 5 foot step would not) and if used for Stand Still would have kept her out of her melee range a little while longer. But even if you did that natural 1 on the AoO.

Hamste
2014-07-26, 10:07 AM
O ngbk tu ojkg cngz eua’…more language that the others do not know.

I have no idea what you’re talking about, we are here to investigate missing soldiers and merchants. Was that you or the necromancers you were talking about? Also if you really do want to talk you are lucky you didn't knock me out. I’m not entirely sure but I think I’m the only one here that actually speaks goblin, it isn't exactly common for my people to know it. Also please do not get closer to me even if we continue to talk. I have very little doubt I can seriously hurt you if need be and possibly kill you but I don’t want to take that risk of course.

Pyrom said as he moved 30 feet away from the monk. He prepared to cast a spell against the lady in the robes. She might resist it but it was probably the one that she would have the hardest time dodging.

She is questioning us about a necromancer. Maybe they are the ones that got rid of all merchants and soldiers.

Taking a move action to move to one square above Ambrose. Ready action to cast Evard’s Black Tentacles on a space that covers the area up to Ambrose (but not Ambrose) if she moves towards us. Also I have to say, I like how you are using a program to switch the letters to be consistent with the language, it is a nice touch.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 12:25 PM
She watches as Pyrom moves back away from her and seemingly just waits.

"Gtj O iuarj kgyore qorr eua. Tuz zngz se lkrrucy gxkt'z lgx. Znk utky eua ykkq gxk roqkre iaxykj otzu atrolk he tuc. Haz ktuamn ul zngz. Eua votqyqoty iusk nkxk lux utk ul znxkk xkgyuty. Utk: Zgqk atzor znkxk oy tuznotm rklz coznuaz gte xkmgxj zu yayzgototm euaxykrl. Zcu: Sgqk euax iuot ull hkotm mxkkje zu kgin uznkx. Znxkk: Qorr gteutk eua lotj yu euax jgxq sgyzkx ngy tkc sotouty. Eua ysgrr ckrr gxskj mxuavy gxk grcgey znxkk. Znk skxingtzy gxk zcu, gtj znk ykzzrkxy utk. Cne ynuarj ck hkrokbk eua gxk tuz g hromnz ut znoy rgtj?"

"And I could easily kill you. Not that my fellows aren't far. But enough of that. The ones you seek are likely cursed into unlife by now. You pinkskins come here for one of three reasons. One: Take until there is nothing left without any regard to sustaining yourself. Two: Make your coin off being greedy to each other.. Three: Kill anyone you find so your dark master has new minions. You small well armed groups are always three. The merchants are two, and the settlers one. Why should we believe you are not a blight on this land?"

Hamste
2014-07-26, 01:38 PM
A few problems with your logic there. Do you see any way for us to actually carry bodies in a convenient way? I don't. The back packs don't have nearly enough room to carry a body and we aren't carrying them in our arms or anything. Second, why would we be walking down the road if we want to kill people? People could easily spot us as we walk down the road and then run away if they were afraid or even plan an ambush. If we wanted to kill people we would just dig a pit in the center of the road and wait until people came to us so we could kill them. Besides we only traveled a few days from the city so unless the necromancer made their base right next to a settlement, which is unlikely unless they somehow figured out how to hide undead right under the noses of the city, we would be travelling the wrong way to be getting bodies, correct? If we were hunting people we would have come from the necromancer from delivering bodies which should be the other direction unless my logic is mistaken and I am mistaken about what you meant when you said "back to their master". Unless you are holding that we somehow have bodies on us. Though you are kind of right on the second reason. We are getting paid in magic items those that are attacking the merchants and soldiers are apparently hiring mercenaries with and a bit of extra gold. Also if you know anything about religion you would see that one of the people you beat down had a symbol to Hlal on him in an obvious place and he has a very draconic look to him. You also felt what happened when he hit you, now what do you think that means he is and what that will mean about how he views undead?

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 02:26 PM
She listens quite patiently before responding.

"He euax uct cuxjy eua gxk g xkiktz gxxobgr, gtj ck ngbk tuz ykkt eua hkluxk yu O yayvkiz zngz oy zxak. Zngz skgty eua cuarj tuz hk iusotm lxus nos, haz iuarj bkxe ckrr hk nkgjkj zu nos. Sgte ysgrr mxuavy ul ckrr gxskj votqyqoty - payz roqk eua iusk juct znoy xugj, gtj ol yuskznotm jukyt'z kgz znks znke mkz noxkj zu qorr gteutk znke lotj gtj rkgbk znk hujoky lux... xkzxokbgr. Kdikvz znkox uct. Gtj znuyk ykzzrkxy. Ju eua ykk cngz O's ygeotm nkxk? Euax skxingtzy, tuz yglk. Euax yurjokxy, tuz yglk. Eua, tuz yglk. Znk tgzobk vrgtzy gtj gtosgry, tuz yglk. Znk utre utky tkbkx gzzgiqkj he znk atjkgj gxk znk utky ot zngz rum luxz. Zngz cge."

"By your own words you are a recent arrival, and we have not seen you before so I suspect that is true. That means you would not be coming from him, but could very well be headed to him. Many small groups of well armed pinkskins - just like you come down this road, and if something doesn't eat them they get hired to kill anyone they find and leave the bodies for... retrieval. Except their own. And those settlers. Do you see what I'm saying here? Your merchants, not safe. Your soldiers, not safe. You, not safe. The native plants and animals, not safe. The only ones never attacked by the undead are the ones in that log fort. That way."

After saying quite a bit, she points down the road in the direction you were heading.

"Lotgrre, znke ju tuz xkyvutj gz grr zu znkyk giiaygzouty. Tu jktogr, tu uazxgmk, tu mrugzotm. Gtj... ck ngj tu vxuhrksy cozn znk jkgj tuz yzgeotm ot znkox mxgbky atzor znkyk skt subkj ot. Xkmgxjrkyy ul cngz eua, ux euax xkromouty znotq ul uax skznujy eua atjkxyzgtj cngz grr ul zngz skgty, eky? Tuc xkbobk zngz utk gtj rkz nos yvkgq lux nosykrl."

"Finally, they do not respond at all to these accusations. No denial, no outrage, no gloating. And... we had no problems with the dead not staying in their graves until these men moved in. Regardless of what you, or your religions think of our methods you understand what all of that means, yes? Now revive that one and let him speak for himself."

She points at Sophos.

Vhaidara
2014-07-26, 02:34 PM
Ambrose watches, ready to bolt at a moment's notice.
What the hells are you saying? Should I be praying?

Ready an action to move 30ft away from the road if the thing attacks Pyrom. From there, I start running until I can hide.

Hamste
2014-07-26, 02:51 PM
Erm, can you heal him Ambrose? I don't have any healing spells. They want him to talk for himself. Also they seem to be saying that there is a log fort and that it is never attacked by the undead. They heavily imply the necromancer would be there or has a deal with them if we choose to believe them about this. They say the mercenaries were hired just to kill literally everything. They seem to be very connected to this forest and may be lying just to get us to handle the necromancer and the settlers who they would almost certainly dislike whether they dealt with necromancers or not. Hitting two enemies with one random stone.

Pyrom said in common before switching back to goblin.

Just a warning, I'm not exactly sure about his code but he may not be allowed to let you leave if he finds that you are evil. Personally, I'm ok with letting you leave, the necromancer is much more of a threat but I figure I will give you the heads up.

Vhaidara
2014-07-26, 02:57 PM
Ambrose moves over to Sophos, never turning his back on the enemy.
Can you feel, as I heal?
He taps his belt as he speaks, the taps Sophos with that hand.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 03:25 PM
Sophos groggily stands back up, quickly taking in what he can see the best he can. I suppose we're not fighting at the moment?

He puts a hand on Manley, channeling healing energy for a few seconds, before turning to the robed figure. A moment later, his words seem charged with divine power, and the melodic tones of his speaking seem emphasized to an almost hypnotic quality.

Pyrom, assuming these fine people do not speak Common, I will need you to translate for me. In any case, why was I revived? What do they want of me?

Lay on Hands for 10 on Manley, 10 on myself, cast Divine Insight. I'm assuming we're not in combat anymore so I can take those actions, anyway. Then start Diplomacy if I can (I'll roll on my next post).

Hamste
2014-07-26, 03:45 PM
I will check now. They just asked that they woke you up. They gave us some interesting information.

Ok, he is fine now. He is just healing our friend and himself some more so they don't bleed out. What did you want to ask him about exactly? I will of course be acting as the translator unless you speak another language that your willing to talk in. Pyrom said in goblin.

I'm going to be translating exactly what they say feel free to allow the others to see it.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 03:50 PM
So, judging by the second spoiler that doesn't say "said in goblin", I can look at all the Spoiler:Pyrom stuff? I'm going to assume so for the purposes of moving forward :smalltongue:

Edit: I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't tell Sophos that he might want to keep fighting, too. So he knows the other stuff.

I see. Well, my good lady, as a Paladin and a Dragonborn, I cannot ignore the threat of undead. I will slay this necromancer and personally return his head, if it would please you. Do you know any more of what he is? The more we know, the more we can prepare.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 04:01 PM
All of the Spoiler: Pyrom stuff is translations of Goblin > Common. If he's told you everything, you can go back and click all of them.

"Ol nk'j yzorr voiq g lomnz glzkx hkotm yuatjre hkgzkt nk oy g luur."

While they have an uncanny knack for not being where your weapons are, and for not striking where your guard is they haven't attempted any verbal deceptions that Pyrom is aware of. However all that time with books made him an absolutely horrible judge of people.

"If he'd still pick a fight after being soundly beaten he is a fool."

She watches impassively as Sophos is brought back to consciousness. When he begins casting another spell, she looks ready to beat the ever living hell out of him, and only barely managed to contain herself. It took several seconds for her to calm down and realize that wasn't an act of aggression. Finally she points at Sophos.

"They say you hate the undead. Is that true? Do you loathe them more than any other?" And then she looks annoyed before shrugging. "I've heard enough of your language, it doesn't matter if you know I understand it. If you were going to reveal your true intentions thinking the stupid savages didn't understand you you already would have."

Upon hearing his answer he nods slowly. "If we knew that, we'd already have every bone in his body broken. Unfortunately his minions are either curiously uninformed about their employer, or have an annoying tendency to explode and blight the land even upon redeath. They also often lack kidneys to punch, which is quite troublesome. He's hiding, and he's gathering bodies. I trust we all know why a necromancer would want those, and what would happen once he gathers enough."

You detect no untruths from her.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 04:08 PM
Indeed I do hate the undead. They are an abomination, an aberrant twisting of the nature of our souls, and a desecration of the dead. In fact, as a paladin, a great deal of my learning has been devoted to striking them down.

Sophos pulls out his holy symbol, a blue, platinum and gold shield, with the figure of a dragon and a drop of Angelic Radiance in the dragon's eye. He mutters a holy prayer, and light shines from the symbol. I can turn the undead, even destroy them, with the powers of my god.

He then begins to slowly stride towards the figure. Also, if you would like, I can heal you and your ally's wounds for you. It's the least I can do for this misunderstanding...

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 04:15 PM
I wanted to fix that post first before any more responses. See edit.

"Go ahead, but I am watching you. And do not think for an instant there are only two of us. I also suggest giving a warning before casting any more spells."

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 04:27 PM
Gathering bodies is never a good sign for those facing a necromancer. Fortunately, without some extraordinary ritual, there is always a limit to how many undead anyone can control. That said, if he is truly gathering a massive amount of bodies, perhaps he has greater plans, and if he does they need to be stopped.

Sophos reaches the robed figure and closes his eyes in prayer. "I am going to summon a spirit from my god to heal you. Simply touch it, and your wounds shall heal." Assuming Sophos doesn't get throttled, the spirit materializes, a swirling, insubstantial vortex of gold and silver, emanating a soothing aura.

Next, Sophos begins to walk towards the fallen monk. "I will be healing your ally as well, for she must gain consciousness before benefiting from my spirit. To do so, I much touch her, but I swear I mean no harm, and will do so in whatever manner you find least threatening.

Divine Spirit has 96 hit points of healing, I've got 28 left which I'll put into the fallen monk.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 04:58 PM
"An uncontrolled undead is no less hungry for the living."

Sophos channels the remaining energy within the fallen Monk under the watchful eyes of her companion. Though she was still alive, Ambrose was a little overeager in putting her down, and that was not enough for her to regain consciousness. She quietly walks over and apparently was wearing a similar belt, as a pair of pokes made her eyes open.

She immediately attempted to knee Sophos but was blocked by her fellows. The two started arguing too quickly for Pyrom to get more than the general idea and stopped just as quickly.

"Us trusting outsiders is what got us here. But they are strong enough. I will trust you sister."

Trying to hide her limp, she asks, "Where will you go now?"

The fallen one doesn't trust any of you at all, the other believes you'll actually find the necromancer, and even if you fail they could just track your bodies. Apparently they already tried that and it didn't work, but the second one acknowledges they're poorly equipped to fight something they either can't find or can't fight effectively and that killing you would not help anything.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 05:09 PM
I do not know where we shall go next. I see no point in going to a city, if the necromancer is the one causing such trouble, yet if you and more allies as strong as you could not defeat him, even divine assistance may not be enough. Would you be willing to work together to defeat him? Perhaps we can accomplish together what alone we could not.

Hopefully I can use the same Diplomacy check for both. If I can't though, here's another: [roll0]

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 05:16 PM
"And yet he has some connection with the settlement. You could get in there and get answers that we could not. You have a way with words so perhaps they will listen to you when they would ignore us. Or, if nothing else you could see if he hides as well from your gods as he does from us. Once you have something to hit though it's much easier. Especially if it doesn't burn you when you touch it.""

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 05:22 PM
I see. Then I suppose going to the settlement is the wisest course of action. I would still request your aid, but if he knows of your presence than perhaps it is wisest for you to stay nearby, but not within the walls. Can we arrange for a meeting place, and perhaps a time? That way, if things go awry, we can band together, or at least warn you of an oncoming cataclysm.

Hamste
2014-07-26, 05:26 PM
I like the idea of spying on the fort. See if they get any strange visitors. Of course it could just be simple bribery to keep silent but at least that means that someone there would still know something. It seems as good of a starting place as any anyways. Pyrom said.

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 05:37 PM
Indeed. Perhaps we can unearth what is truly happening here.

Blink Knight
2014-07-26, 06:34 PM
"We will be watching. If there is nothing further... cut around the road, there."

She points at the section that collapsed when Ambrose fell in the pit.

"There is more than one pit."

r2d2go
2014-07-26, 09:37 PM
Very well then. Let us be off, comrades.

Sophos starts walking down the road, carefully making sure not to fall into a pit.

At some point, I assume we'll stop and heal. Since the second one didn't trust me, I assume my divine spirit still has some juice, though I'm not sure how much (Blink Knight, how much was used?). Unless people think we're going to get attacked again, I'll save my CLW charges, since we've got another day and a half of traveling before we reach the city, and Ambrose has 105 hp of healing a day that doesn't cost him a thing. That way, we can heal 105+(96-something)+84+4d8 hp without losing any combat effectiveness, after today, which should be plenty.

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 01:37 PM
Sophos and company goes around wide enough so as to avoid any pits behind the first one. When they look back the pair had faded from view. After healing up they set back on the road, and while certain that someone was watching them they didn't see anyone, and weren't bothered by anyone or anything.

A little over half a day later, after putting some more miles behind you and getting ready to settle in for the night you start hearing howls coming from the forest. They don't seem very far away and keep answering each other.

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 01:51 PM
If they're wolves, we can take them. If they're something worse... well, get ready everyone.

Cast Fist of Stone. I meant to ask before we got into combat, but it slipped my mind - can I trade my Angelskin for Channeled Divine Shield? The Angelskin I was looking at on accident (Miniature's Handbook) was the same level as CDS and the option for DR 8/evil as a full round is entirely worth it for me. If I can, cast that instead.

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 02:00 PM
I never liked big dogs, but at least they're better than bogs.
Ambrose finds a tree to clamber up, and strings his hammock higher than usual.

Take 10 on the Athletics to climb up the tree for a 26, and Stealth while in the tree
[roll0]

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 02:06 PM
You're going to go to sleep while there's howling wolves, or worse? These seem to be communicating, too. Even if they don't attack, we should track them down and kill them - if they can communicate, they can scout for something more dangerous.

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 02:10 PM
Might as well make the bed, sleep will help if we aren't dead. And wolves aren't known to climb, oh friends of mine.

To be clear, I was hoping to get like 10-15ft off the ground

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 02:15 PM
The howls abruptly stop and are replaced with yipping. You hear things crashing through the forest, but they run right past you. Fast.

You hear footsteps coming from the opposite direction. Many footsteps.

Hamste
2014-07-27, 02:16 PM
Yeah, though with how worried everyone was about the wild life I get a feeling these are not simple wolves. Do you have a ranged weapon up there or do you have to climb down that tree if we are attacked? Pyrom said as he started collecting some wood around the campsite to make a fire.

[roll0] to recognize the creature that is howling. My knowledge arcana is the same if they are magical beasts.

Also because it has been a couple of days rolling to predict the weather (why not :P). [roll1]

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 02:45 PM
Damn it, this is not good. Ambrose, I'm going to restate that - Unless you're at full fighting capacity in that tree, get down here and get ready to run or fight, now. Whatever those are running from is going to be more dangerous than them.

Cast Fist of Stone, as a free action move my Divine Spirit next to Pyrom.

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 02:58 PM
Ambrose remains silent, ready to drop down behind whatever foes may come.

Hamste
2014-07-27, 03:06 PM
I wonder what scared them so badly. Think it is the undead? I don't think animals like them very much. It could also be hunters but that would be weird they tend to take out animals one by one not in entire packs.Then again they are being paid to kill everything. Pyrom said as he casts a spell on himself.

I'm recasting magic vestment because it ran out. also moving behind Sophos relative to where the wolves came from.

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 03:10 PM
Considering what the monks said, that's exactly what I think. But there's no way to know.

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 03:43 PM
The footsteps steadily approach and your suspicions are soon confirmed as you spot a gaunt looking face behind a tree, its grey skinned owner loping on all fours despite looking human. At the same time it spots Sophos and hisses. And then you realize there's another. And then another. And then a whole horde of the things. A few of them were wearing light armor, though their sword sheaths were empty and their blades apparently abandoned. The others were unarmed... well no, not exactly. Their claws look sharp enough...

None of them look in your direction.

Initiative:

Manley: 28.
Ambrose: 27.
Grey Warriors: 21.
Grey Ones: 8.
Sophos and Pyrom: 3.

Map:

. O . . . . . O . . . .
. . O . . . . O . . . .
. . . . O . . . . . O .
. O . W . . . . . W . .
. . W . . . . A . . . .
. O . . . . . . . . . .
O . . . . S . . . . . W
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . M . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 03:52 PM
Ambrose waits quietly in the tree.

I can roll another stealth if you want. Also, how high up did I get?

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 03:55 PM
Bahamut protect us...

Free action to draw my kusarigama with my least crystal of return.

Hamste
2014-07-27, 05:54 PM
They appear to be a weak form of undead commonly known as ghouls and ghasts. The ones in the armor are ghasts and are more dangerous than the ghouls. They are both resistant to turning. They are not particularly dangerous unless they manage to paralyze you in which case you won't be moving any time soon. With this many we are in quite serious risk of becoming paralyzed by them by pure numbers. Ghasts smell bad enough to cause difficulty in combat. They also carry a disease on them which they can transfer to us. Finally if one of us dies from either their claws or disease we will come back as a ghast or ghoul. Of course, it is very important we kill as many as possible before they surround and overwhelm us. Pyrom said.

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 06:05 PM
Sophos begins to swing his kusarigama to make it easier to strike oncoming enemies, his face a stony visage of hate and determination. "If I can stay alive and able to move, I should be able to turn many of them, and a combination of my fortitude and divine protection should let me resist the stench and paralysis. I can also cure disease, but only once a week. Hopefully, we'll live."

Stand Still isn't totally clear whether it stops movement in the square the creature moves to or the square it moves from, so this depends on that. If it's the square they move to, I'll Stand Still the first enemies to get adjacent to me. If it's the square they move from, I'll just normally attack the first three ghouls that threaten.

Hamste
2014-07-27, 07:01 PM
Also, if you don't know about undead they can choose to explode in negative energy when they die, if they don't explode they are still undead and need to be shot a few times until they are dead. Also while they don't look like it these guys are surprisingly good at dodging certain spells like fireballs. Also I forgot to mention it, these ones are intelligent and probably understand all that we are saying.

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 07:11 PM
...Dammit, seriously? Do they heal or otherwise strengthen their allies when they explode? How big is the blast radius?

Hamste
2014-07-27, 07:39 PM
Wait, you hate undead and think of them as abominations yet you do not know the facts of how they function or their combat? The explosion gets stronger depending on their strength. Thankfully, they are relatively weak so the explosion from them shouldn't be that bad. We can't get far enough away to avoid the blast and still whack them with our melee weapons. We need to throw rocks on them or something if we want to avoid their explosion if they choose not to explode on death. They do heal each other when they explode. Hopefully, we can kill them hard enough that the healing won't matter for now.

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 07:42 PM
This is not actually a IC post.

"Ahem. We would like to eat you now, so could you kindly stop talking so we can have a bloody turn?"

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 09:11 PM
Response to undead: Sadly, Pyrom, I fell asleep during that class. And now I'm kicking myself for it. And yes, of course, sir undead abomination. One moment.

piercetbh
2014-07-27, 10:02 PM
"Yea, stuff it, enough chit chat!" Manley had said nothing for the past day or so, frustrated about his loss in the group's last combat, and finally he had found his chance to contribute. He ran forward, his Rapiers seemingly appearing in his hands as he slid them out of their sheaths, and approached on one of the lone undead creatures. His style could be called feral, like a Tiger, as he leapt up and entered a frenzy of four slashes aimed at the thing before him. With each hit that struck his confidence would grow, making the next even more forceful than the last.

Swift Action: Blood in the Water Stance [Critical Hits add +1 Attack/Damage]
Move Action: Draw Rapiers + Engage Grey Warrior to far right
Standard Action: Full Attack

Attack 1:
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Critical Confirmation [roll2]
Critical Bonus Damage [roll3]

Attack 2:
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Critical Confirmation [roll6]
Critical Bonus Damage [roll7]

Attack 3:
Attack [roll8]
Damage [roll9]
Critical Confirmation [roll10]
Critical Bonus Damage [roll11]

Attack 4:
Attack [roll12]
Damage [roll13]
Critical Confirmation [roll14]
Critical Bonus Damage [roll15]

Map:

. O . . . . . O . . . .
. . O . . . . O . . . .
. . . . O . . . . . O .
. O . W . . . . . W . .
. . W . . . . A . . . .
. O . . . . . . . . . .
O . . . . S . . . . M W
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . P . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 11:05 PM
Manley closes in on one of the many undead. As soon as he gets close he looks like he's been smacked hard, but it was only the smell that got him. While he does find it harder to focus he ends up easily finding his mark anyways, though landing a meaningful hit was another problem entirely. It wasn't that they were very resistant against the attack, it was that a few holes didn't bother undead so much.

The three nearest Manley all close in and gang up on him, but he gets out of it without a scratch.

The rest began closing in on Sophos and Pyrom, using the trees when possible to sneak in close or cutting around Sophos entirely to get around behind him. Curiously, even without his armor they still had a somewhat difficult time hitting him. However, even when one bit him in what would be a vital spot, it barely even hurt. What was annoying was how every time they hit him, even though their actual claws and teeth did nothing or near nothing they still sapped a bit of the heat from his body with each strike. As they kept swarming him, it seemed like at this rate he might die the death of a thousand cuts. Or cold pokes. Whichever. As they began running out of safe places around him he was able to halt one in its tracks.

Pyrom might have actually fared better, even though the stronger ones went for him they had extreme difficulty getting past his enchanted armor and the few claw strikes that did get through he was fortunate enough to resist the ill effects of. That said, their attacks had the same sort of heat sapping effect upon him.

This is not a natural ability of ghouls or ghasts, but the product of a necromantic rite that strengthens undead raised. Anything without magical resistance to cold is going to feel the chill no matter how well they're protected against physical attacks. It isn't very strong, but it does add up.

Initiative:

Ambrose: 7.
Sophos and Pyrom: 3.

Ambrose: 72/80.
Manley: 71/80. Sickened.
Pyrom: 30/64. Sickened.
Sophos: 73/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A . . . .
. . . . O O O . . . W O
. . . O O S . . . . M W
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . W P O . . . . . .
. . . O O W . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Manley attempts resisting the stench: 4+4 = Failure. Manley is sickened for 7 minutes.
Pyrom attempts resisting the stench: 12+6 = Success! 8+6 = Failure. Pyrom is Sickened for 8 minutes.
Sophos is hit by 7 out of 12 attacks and takes a total of 23 damage (46 resisted).
Sophos attempts to resist paralysis and gets 7 not 1s: Success!
Pyrom is hit by 3 out of 15 attacks and takes a total of 26 damage (0 resisted).
Pyrom attempts to resist paralysis: (13, 17, 12) +4 = Success!

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 11:12 PM
Ambrose, let me Turn them before you attack, so that I don't waste any divine energy.

[roll0], [roll1]

Vhaidara
2014-07-27, 11:23 PM
Ambrose curses silently as the fool calls out to him, and he waits until the holy knight does his thing.

Delay until after Sophos

r2d2go
2014-07-27, 11:37 PM
Sophos, realizing that he may have revealed Ambrose, silently prays that the undead can't distinguish his allies by their names and thus think that he is calling to another ally. However, he keeps his face the same mask of determination and hate, and glances towards Manley, as to deceive the undead abominations.

[roll0] if I need a bluff check to not reveal Ambrose.

Blink Knight
2014-07-27, 11:53 PM
Sophos raises his holy symbol high and the ones closest tilt their heads, realizing that actually was his intention. They are then obliterated in a blast of holy light. They promptly explode and release darkness energy in response, catching him at ground zero while Ambrose was up high enough that it only blackened the bark below him. The others do not look happy about this.

Initiative:

Sophos: 3.
Pyrom: 3.
Ambrose: 3.

Sophos: 57/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . W O
. . . O . S . . . . M W
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . W P O . . . . . .
. . . O O W . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Sophos attempts dodging some explosions: (13, 20, 6, 9) +7 = Success, Success, Failure, Success. Sophos takes 16 points of damage.

Vhaidara
2014-07-28, 12:03 AM
Ambrose pulls out a small chain of holy symbols, and holds up the sign of Gelf Darkhearth: A broken anvil.
Lord Gelf, take these beasts, lest of your servant they make feasts!

Staying in the tree. Using Turn Undead, affects out to 60ft (should cover all of them)
Turning Check: [roll0]
Turning Damage: [roll1]
And I'm an 8th level cleric, so anything with 4HD or fewer gets exploded instead of turned.[/spoiler]

Blink Knight
2014-07-28, 12:26 AM
The undead look more confused than concerned as they realized someone was in the tree. Despite that, a pair of them turned and bolted. Manley's opponent left itself open as it retreated, and one of the undead swarming Pyrom left itself open as well.

Sophos: 57/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . O
. . . O . S . . . . M W
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . W P . . . . . . .
. . . O O W . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Manley and Pyrom get one AoO each against different opponents. Remember that for TWFers that means one attack with each weapon.

r2d2go
2014-07-28, 04:28 AM
Never took you for a devout person, Ambrose... learn something new every day. We should chat some time.

Sophos grins, spinning his kusarigama as the undead flee from Ambrose's holy invocation.

Alright then, undead scum. Come at me!

Hamste
2014-07-28, 09:30 AM
Pyrom tries to hit the runner if his shield but didn't pay much attention to whether he actually hit or not. Instead he took a 5 foot step back. He then started casting to created a giant wall of fire that surrounded the entire party except Manley Sorry, Manley I hope you are OK over there. Pyrom yelled over the roar of the fire to Manley after he finished casting.

[roll0] AoO, I will be amazed if I somehow kill the runner with [roll1] damage

Now for my actual turn. 5 foot step to the only place I'm not being threatened in any way. Casting Wall of fire pointed outwards in the top right corner of Sophos' square. Unless if I messed up on how circles work in D&D/did it wrong in excel I believe I got, One ghoul missed but inside the ring (two to the right of Sophos, right next to the ring of fire), 2 Ghasts in the ring therefore taking [roll2] (Included 2 extra damage as it should be blasting) multiplied by two since they are undead, and then 1 Ghast (next to Manley), Manley and 3 ghouls with in 10 feet taking [roll]2d4+12[roll] (included 2 extra damage again) multiplied by two for the undead.

Blink Knight
2014-07-28, 02:00 PM
Pyrom retains control of his body and edges upwards before conjuring up incredibly hot flames which begin charring and blackening leaves, branches, and rotting flesh, setting a series of tiny fires. One of them explodes instantly in Sophos' face, and the former civilians look badly burned while the warriors that took direct fire look no better. While the flames were especially baneful against the undead, they were still quite capable of burning the living, and Manley weathers the heat well enough for now.

Initiative:

Manley: 57/80. Sickened.
Pyrom: 26/64. Sickened.
Sophos: 46/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . O
. . . . . S . . . . M W
. . . . . P . . . . . .
. . . W . . . . . . . .
. . . O O W . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Manley and Sophos get one AoO each against different opponents. Remember that for TWFers that means one attack with each weapon. (I actually meant to say this originally but Pyrom got one as well... it just did absolutely nothing.
Sophos attempts dodging the explosion: 6+7 = Failure. Sophos takes 11 points of damage.

r2d2go
2014-07-28, 05:17 PM
Sophos lashes out with the kusarigama's sickle as the undead open their defenses. "Is that the best you can do?"

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll (Divine Might): [roll1]

I'm guess that's provoked from movement on their turn, meaning it's no longer the same round, so I have to burn a turning attempt. That puts me at 6 left for the day.

piercetbh
2014-07-28, 09:47 PM
"Stop right there, scumbag!" Manley called out as he spotted an opening in one of his foe's defences. Again he struck out, a slash with each hand to hopefully cut them down.

Attack 1:
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2:
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Critical Confirmation [roll5]

Oops, forgot to include sickened in the math.

piercetbh
2014-07-28, 10:15 PM
"...Or, maybe not." His attack hadn't been as devastating as he would have hoped, and turning around, Manley saw that he had been separated from the rest of the group by a Wall of Fire. Damnit. There was a faint blinking of shadow, and then he had disappeared from the sight of his enemies - invisible, he struck again, determined to make his mark upon the undead before him. On the first attack he focused, using what little discipline a swashbuckler like himself had to strike with true force. Then he struck three more times, focusing less on discipline and more on cutting things up. Then he slipped on by his enemies, aiming to get away from the blistering heat behind him.

Swift Action: Cloak of Deception
Standard Action: Insightful Strike + Full Attack

Attack 1: Insightful Strike - Aimed at Warrior
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2: Normal Attack - Aimed at Warrior
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

Attack 3: Normal Attack - Aimed at Warrior
Attack [roll6]
Damage [roll7]
Critical Confirmation [roll8]

Attack 4: Normal Attack - Aimed at Grey One
Attack [roll9]
Damage [roll10]
Critical Confirmation [roll11]

Move Action: Move into the forest until I'm out of range of the Wall of Fire.

Blink Knight
2014-07-28, 10:55 PM
Manley stabs his opponent in the back as it runs away, and Sophos takes advantage of his target's opening to get a strike in as well. Neither is enough to stop them though Manley does feel that he can fight better, and uses that ability on his remaining opponents.

His first strike puts a big hole in his undead opponent, the others are considerably less powerful and even fueled by his growing fury are not enough to fell either of his opponents. He then gets out of the fire, as so far it's a bigger threat to him than his opponents are.

Some of the ghasts follow his lead and advance on the spellcaster, who quickly finds that he owes his divinely enchanted armor his life several times over, as many dangerous or perhaps even lethal attacks were repelled by it. Just as he seemed safe though one smacked him in the face, and it, and him froze up in an instant. The nearby ghouls, rather than immolating themselves retreat and head for the woods back in the direction of the road.

The others pursue Manley and try a different approach, but attempting to grab him only results in the ghoul leaving itself open to counterattack.

Initiative:

Manley: 28. +3

Manley: 57/80. Sickened.
Pyrom: 19/64. Sickened.
Sophos: 46/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . S . . . . . .
. . . . W P W . . . . . . W M O
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Pyrom is hit by 1 out of 6 attacks and takes 7 damage (0 resisted). (At least a dozen more missed by 4 or less.)
Pyrom attempts to resist paralysis: 2+4 = Failure. Pyrom is paralyzed for 2 rounds.
Manley gets an AoO on O for a failed grapple attempt.

piercetbh
2014-07-28, 11:07 PM
Nope, these things just weren't going to die. As one of them lunged for Manley and missed he swung out again, slashing it twice. He could feel his strength increasing now, swings becoming faster and harder, to compensate for the fact that the stench of these undead was weakening him. It was hard to tell which force would overpower the other.

Attack of Opportunity against O.

Attack 1: Normal Attack against O
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2: Normal Attack against O
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]

r2d2go
2014-07-28, 11:10 PM
Pyrom! Alright, now you're in for it...

Sophos expression shifts from rage at his paralyzed ally to glee as he briefly drops his kusarigama handle to smash one of the undead in the face with his newly enhanced fist. A fraction of a second later, the crystal in the kusarigama returns the handle to his hand, and he continues to swing it faster and faster. Then, with a cry of "For Bahamut! For Hlal!", Sophos releases a length of chain, bringing the sickle slicing by the undead three times with lightning speed.

Activate Haste, Smite+Divine Might Full Attack, see attacks. Sudden Stunning on the left one if it the kusarigama attack hits and it survives, otherwise Sudden Stunning on the first successful attack on the one on the right.

Secondary Slam from Fist of Stone on left: [roll0], [roll1]
Kusarigama Attack on left: [roll2], [roll3]
Kusarigama Attack on right: [roll4], [roll5]
Iterative Kusarigama Attack on right: [roll6], [roll7]

Oh, and... Feel the might of the Hyperaccurate Paladin Cha SAD buffed RAIN OF STEEL!

Vhaidara
2014-07-28, 11:19 PM
Ambrose rolls from the tree, moving in a blur of motion to aid Manley, unleashing another flurry of strikes.

I'm putting this on the character sheet for next time. That's why I'm including Crit and everything
Popping 3x Cunning Surge, leaving me with 1 Inspiration Point remaining.
Move Action + Standard Action 1: Move to flank the warrior threatening Manley.
Standard Action 2 and 3: Full Attack the Warrior

1 Main Hand Attack 1
Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]
Fire Damage: [roll4]

1 Off Hand Attack 1
Attack: [roll5]
Crit Confirmation: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit Damage: [roll8]
Shock Damage: [roll9]

1 Main Hand Attack 2
Attack: [roll10]
Crit Confirmation: [roll11]
Damage: [roll12]
Crit Damage: [roll13]
Fire Damage: [roll14]

1 Off Hand Attack 2
Attack: [roll15]
Crit Confirmation: [roll16]
Damage: [roll17]
Crit Damage: [roll18]
Shock Damage: [roll19]

2 Main Hand Attack 1
Attack: [roll20]
Crit Confirmation: [roll21]
Damage: [roll22]
Crit Damage: [roll23]
Fire Damage: [roll24]

2 Off Hand Attack 1
Attack: [roll25]
Crit Confirmation: [roll26]
Damage: [roll27]
Crit Damage: [roll28]
Shock Damage: [roll29]

2 Main Hand Attack 2
Attack: [roll30]
Crit Confirmation: [roll31]
Damage: [roll32]
Crit Damage: [roll33]
Fire Damage: [roll34]

2 Off Hand Attack 2
Attack: [roll35]
Crit Confirmation: [roll36]
Damage: [roll37]
Crit Damage: [roll38]
Shock Damage: [roll39]

Blink Knight
2014-07-28, 11:35 PM
Trying to put its hands on Manley was a mistake. He immediately stabs him and is rewarded with an explosion for his efforts.

Sophos punches one of the undead in the face, who immediately explodes. He then stabs the other twice, and it explodes as well.

Ambrose runs right through the fire to back up Manley. His approach could be considered as overkill, as only two stabs were required to finish it off and be rewarded with another black blast.

No visible enemies remain, though several of them had retreated, and this fire wall would be sticking around for a while longer.

Initiative:

Manley: 28. +3

Ambrose: 37/80.
Manley: 47/80. Sickened.
Pyrom: 5/64. Sickened.
Sophos: 38/104.

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . S . . . . . .
. . . . . P . . . . . . A . M .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . .

Manley attempts dodging an explosion: 14+12 = Success. Manley takes 4 points of damage.
Sophos attempts dodging some explosions: (8, 19) +7 = Success, Success. Sophos takes a total of 8 points of damage.
Pyrom attempts dodging some explosions: (17, 20) + (-3) = Failure, Success. Pyrom takes a total of 14 points of damage.
Ambrose resists being sickened: 20+4 = Success.
Ambrose attempts dodging an explosion: 2+9 = Failure. Ambrose takes 12 points of damage.
Manley attempts dodging an explosion: 17+10 = Success. Manley takes 6 points of damage.

r2d2go
2014-07-28, 11:50 PM
Well that was... interesting.

Sophos pulls out his wand of Cure Light Wounds and begins pumping charges into Pyrom and a couple into himself.

Manley, Ambrose, I'll heal you some once the wall's down. I think I shouldn't completely burn through my wands, though - we'll need them later, and I can heal more tomorrow once I regain my strength.

CLW six times on Pyrom, twice on self.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mid-healing, Sophos pauses, looking thoughtful. Then he chuckles, saying "Ha, I just realized - with that spell, I might be better than those monks at punching things!"

Alright then, Pyrom. You've got a plan for stopping the fire before it burns down the whole forest?

Hamste
2014-07-29, 02:11 PM
It could have been worse I guess, I will try to put out the rest of the fires. It is going to get cold here in a second. Can someone check us for the sickness? Also someone want to burn the bodies? They are totally useless for the necromancer now but might as well get rid of them so local creatures don't get sick from their disease. Maybe want to take the armor and anything on them as well. Does someone know if it is magical or not? Pyrom said as he starts to stamp out the fires. After everyone was ready he started casting a spell.

Good old warmage, one of the few arcane casters that can not read or detect magic. Pyrom is going to cast sleet storm unless pyrotechnics can somehow hit all the fires in one casting.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 04:15 PM
I can remove disease once a week, but not detect it. I think we should just watch to see if anyone gets sick on the rest of the trip there.

Sophos spends a couple minutes healing the party before returning his wand to his bag. Alright, I think that's enough. Let's move a bit and then rest, I don't want anything to catch us before we recover spells and such.

8 charges into Ambrose, 7 into Manley, 3 more into Pyrom, 5 into self.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 04:35 PM
Ambrose quickly clambers back up the tree once the fire dies down and recovers his hammock.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 04:52 PM
Hm. Also, you have a good point about the armor there, Pyrom. Let's see if any of it survived the fire - if it did, it's probably magical. Then we should probably burn the bodies - I wish we could give them a proper burial, but I don't think we have time, and there are living people to save.

Do we find anything? :smalltongue:

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 05:19 PM
You spend a few minutes waiting for the flames to fade and then putting out the embers and burning branches before they become something more. Sophos also burns up much of his wand healing people. The undead that had retreated or been forced off had apparently had enough because you didn't see any of them return. Those that did remain had no earthly trappings except for the hot, twisted remains of what was once a chain shirt. One of them, who had avoided direct contact with the flames still had usable looking armor if you waited for it to cool and got the stench of rotting flesh out of it. You then move away once sure there was no danger left here, and find another clearing. About an hour before you would head to sleep...

Ambrose hears a distant voice say something in a language he doesn't understand. It's followed by what sounds like several horses walking. It's coming from far back in the forest and the footsteps are not heading directly towards you.

Ambrose: 80/80.
Manley: 70/80.
Pyrom: 59/64.
Sophos: 81/104.

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 05:22 PM
Ambrose whispers to the rest of the group.
Riders approaching, we should be preparing!
He looks around for a tree to climb up, preferably in the direction of the riders.

Looking to get a similar position to last time, where I can hide in a tree and drop down after they pass me.

Hamste
2014-07-29, 05:40 PM
Pyrom moved to hide in the forest this time. He was determine to actually get a shot off with out being beaten down. He wondered what the riders were talking about but this was hardly the time to ask. Maybe they were some people from the settlement or some more of those monks or something more sinister. Either way he was determined to be prepared this time.

[roll0] hide roll. I can't carry the extra armor but it could be useful, do one of the other characters want to take it until we can get it checked out? Preferably someone that doesn't do stealth as I figure that thing might have penalties from the smell until we can get it really clean.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 05:50 PM
The hoofsteps steadily approach while some of you begin concealing yourselves. They still sound far off.

You hear someone else say something in a language you don't understand.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 07:08 PM
I'll also be hiding, using whatever cover I can and a casting of Divine Insight to boost the check. Still not wearing armor.
[roll0]
Then I'll cast Fist of Stone first, then Channeled Divine Shield. I'll channel for two rounds if possible, but if not just one. I'll only start casting once I estimate the noise is close enough for me to get 30 seconds out of the buff.

Sophos hides himself as well, using divine guidance to help him at a task he normally is inept at. He begins to cast spells to empower his attacks, but waits until the enemies are close enough that he might actually get use out of them.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 07:16 PM
You eventually see an equine figure run past without looking your way or coming particularly close. While it seemed like a rider at first, you realize the humanoid upper body was actually a part of the creature rather than riding upon it. It's followed by another, and then two more. They either don't notice your campsite, or don't care. Their attention is focused on something back the way you came.

Those were centaurs that ran past. They normally live deeper in the forest, but apparently something brought them out here. Centaurs are normally gentle, noble creatures who rarely attack except in self defense.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 07:22 PM
As they run by, Sophos whispers the words to detect malice, trying to discern if he should attempt diplomacy with these creatures.

Detect Evil. Also, what buffs do I have?

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 07:29 PM
You don't detect the slightest bit of malice from them.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 07:38 PM
Sophos briefly considers if he can possibly communicate with these creatures before deciding that the potential gain is worth the potential danger, though he quickly drops his scroll of Revenance. Just in case. Then, he makes sure he's away from the rest of the group's hiding location before showing himself and making a show of storing his kusarigama as to convey his peaceful intentions, while keeping the crystal in mind so that he can quickly draw his weapon. He also keeps his scroll of Divine Insight close at hand just in case he needs the extra push in convincing these creatures that he is peaceful. However, before he starts speaking, he waits to see the response of the strange horsemen.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 08:03 PM
They had already passed by when Sophos revealed himself. The ones in the back though do hear the sound behind him and spin around, though they quickly lower their bows when they see who had startled him.

"Dszg?"

"Mlg wvzw."

"R hvv gszg. Dsl ziv blf?"

The two speaking look rather curious, and the others halt, wondering what had happened.

One of them shouts, "Fmwvzw?"

Fortunately for Pyrom, he understands his own language enough to recognize that they were speaking it.

"What?"

"Not dead."

"I see that. Who are you?"

The one shouting says, "Undead?"

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 08:18 PM
If you fine fellows are able to understand me, it'd be wonderful if you would say so.

Sophos pauses for a brief moment to see if they respond.

And, assuming you can't, Pyrom, if you can understand them, I might need your help here. As in, please come out and translate if you can.

Hamste
2014-07-29, 08:37 PM
We are quite alive, we heard you galloping and were worried that we were going to be attacked again. Apparently, my friend there decided that he just had to try to talk to you. If you don't understand him I'm supposed to act as a translator. A head's up by the way, there are a few very burnt ghouls still around here somewhere so keep an eye out, they shouldn't be much of a threat now but it still could be nasty if they ambushed you. Also if you don't mind me asking where were you galloping so fast? Does it have something to do with the undead attacking animals? The ghouls and ghasts were apparently chasing a pack of wolves when they came across.
Pyrom responded leaving his hiding spot. At least they didn't immediately try to kill them, that was already better than everything else around here.

piercetbh
2014-07-29, 08:40 PM
None of these words made any sense to him, but Manley got the impression that nobody was interested in a straight-up conflict, and that was good enough for him. He came out of the bushes unarmed (not that that meant much for an improvising swashbuckler) and waved to the creatures they were dealing with. It was the friendliest gesture he had, really.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 08:47 PM
They sort of looked at each other before shrugging.

When Pyrom came out they looked surprised but didn't raise their weapons.

"Gsviv dzh z xzizezm sviv z uvd wzbh ztl, rg nzwv xznk mlg uzi uiln sviv. Gsv urihg grnv R xsvxpvw rg gsvb dviv urmv. Gsv hvxlmw grnv gsvb szw zoo yvvm xfg wldm yb hlnv nzhgvi hdliwhnzm. Gsv gsriw grnv nlhg lu gsvn szw... ivgfimvw, zmw gsv uvd gszg szwm'g dviv gsvri mvd nvzo."

The centaur looks very disgusted.

"Yb gsv grnv R ivgfimvw drgs nb uvooldh gsvb dviv tlmv. Dv gizxpvw gsvn gl z mvziyb xzev yfg wzivw mlg kfihfv. Blf wvhgilbvw gsvn?"

The speaker lowers his equine body until it was just over the ground. The others looked impressed.

"Qfhg blf, li ziv gsviv nliv?"

You thought you heard one of them chuckle when Manley walked out.

"There was a caravan here a few days ago, it made camp not far from here. The first time I checked it they were fine. The second time they had all been cut down by some master swordsman. The third time most of them had... returned, and the few that hadn't were their new meal."

"By the time I returned with my fellows they were gone. We tracked them to a nearby cave but dared not pursue. You destroyed them?"

"Just you, or are there more?"

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 08:48 PM
Ambrose stays hidden in the trees, not liking the newcomers.

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 08:49 PM
Sophos, seeing his allies come out of hiding, smiles and puts away his scroll. Perhaps he wouldn't need it. He also glances back, making a mental note to pick up his rather expensive scroll of Revivify before leaving.

Well then, it seems we have a translator. I assume my friend Pyrom here has already told you of what we've fought - a small swarm of undead abominations chasing a pack of wolves. We're on a journey to slay the necromancer causing all these undead. Perhaps you can shed some light on the situation?

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 08:54 PM
After Pyrom translates this...

"Z mvxilnzmxvi? Gszg dlfow vckozrm nfxs yfg hkvooh ziv mlg xzhg yb xfggrmt kvlkov. Gsvm ztzrm... hdliwhnvm ovzev gizxph, hxvmg. Hlnvlmv xznv, horxvw gsilfts uovhs, ylmv, zmw zinli zh gslfts rg dvivm'g ivzo, gsvm ezmrhsvw zh gslfts gsvb dvivm'g ivzo. R wlm'g orpv gsrh."

"R hvvm z tilfk lu yfimrmt ylmvh dzop lfg lu gszg xzev." another volunteered. The others promptly spun around to face him.

"Dszg? Dsb wrwm'g blf hzb gsrh yvuliv?"

"R dzh wifmp. Blf dlfow szev ozftsvw."

"A necromancer? That would explain much but spells are not cast by cutting people. Then again... swordsmen leave tracks, scent. Someone came, sliced through flesh, bone, and armor as though it weren't real, then vanished as though they weren't real. I don't like this."

"I seen a group of burning bones walk out of that cave."

"What? Why didn't you say this before?"

"I was drunk. You would have laughed."

Hamste
2014-07-29, 09:18 PM
Possibly, were they ghouls and ghasts? If you don't know for sure feel free to describe them I may be able to tell from the description. It may be that we destroyed them but it could be a different pack, there were 9 ghouls and 4 ghasts that attacked. The ghasts were in light armor and had empty sheathes.

Maybe they summoned the swordsman. Summons once out of time totally disappear with out a trace. It could be another undead beast as well but that isn't much to go on about what type of undead has that ability. Possibly some incorporeal being but they usually rely on touches to do their damage. Maybe the necromancer got one that was once a skilled swordsman, maybe with a special weapon made to allow them to hurt the living. That way they leave no scent or tracks plus would be nearly impossible to hit while still hitting their opponent easily.

Pyrom said to the centaurs before translating what he and the centaurs said for his comrades.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 09:30 PM
They look at each other before shrugging.

"Ziv gslhv xzmmryzoh drgs hszik xozdh? Gszg rh gsvn, yfg gsviv dviv urugvvm."

"Dv pmld orggov lu dszg proovw gsvn, blf dlfow orpvob pmld yvggvi. Ru fmwvzw szev yvvm hrtsgvw zilfmw gsrh xzev gdrxv gsviv ziv orpvob nliv gsviv. Dv... urtsg klliob rm xzevh."

"Are those cannibals with sharp claws? That is them, but there were fifteen."

"We know little of what killed them, you would likely know better. If undead have been sighted around this cave twice there are likely more there. We... fight poorly in caves."

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 09:39 PM
Cannibals with sharp claws are indeed what we fought. They also tended to explode in a burst of negative energy when slain. It seems we have the same enemies, and we do fight fairly well in caves. Perhaps we could help each other - we assist you with these enemies, and when the time comes to fight the necromancer, you help us? After all, it seems we all want to rid these lands of the foul abominations.

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 09:45 PM
"Dv dlfow mlg yv lkklhvw. Gslfts rg hlfmwh yrttvi gszm fh. Dv dlfow mvvw nliv gszm qfhg lfi yzmw."

"Lmv lu gsvn ovug gsrh yvsrmw zg gsvri ulinvi xznkhrgv."

One of them steps forward, leaves a belt with a trio of pearls on the ground, and then steps back.

"We would not be opposed. Though it sounds bigger than us. We would need more than just our band."

"One of them left this behind at their former campsite."

Hamste
2014-07-29, 09:54 PM
That sounds about right and yeah, I imagine trying to move quickly on ground that doesn't give with hooves while using a bow in a confined space must be horrible. Would you happen to know if there were two people in the caravan that had something particularly special about them? Perhaps spell casting, wearing heavier armor or just seemed a lot tougher than all the rest? It could be just that their ghoul or ghast died earlier or that they escaped but it also could be that they were singled out as special and were reanimated as something stronger. Also would you happen to know about a group of unarmed fighters around here? We were attacked by two females in robes with a symbol of a claw stepping on a sword arm on it. They seemed to really hate the undead and once we mentioned we were hunting the necromancer they backed off. They said their were more of them nearby and that they would be watching us but I'm not entirely sure they were telling the truth. Are they somehow connected to the caravan?

Pyrom said in Elvish before switching back to common.

Does anyone remember how many ghasts and ghouls got away? That could be good. Anyone have any idea of what that does or what's special about it?

Blink Knight
2014-07-29, 10:03 PM
"Gsvb dvivm'g ylgsvirmt fh li gsrh ozmw, gszg dzh tllw vmlfts uli fh. Yfg gsvn? Gsviv rh z wifrwrx xrixov rm gsvhv dllwh. Gsvri nliv izwrxzo nvnyvih dviv... yzmrhsvw. Gsvb zrn gl kilgvxg gsv dllwh, hfiv. Yfg zg dszg kirxv? Iztv szh wzipvmvw gsvri svzigh."

"They weren't bothering us or this land, that was good enough for us. But them? There is a druidic circle in these woods. Their more radical members were... banished. They aim to protect the woods, sure. But at what price? Rage has darkened their hearts."

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 10:13 PM
I believe only one got away, Pyrom - I seem to recall that we chased one down but the other was too far. Should we tell them about the monks?

Hamste
2014-07-29, 10:24 PM
I believe only one got away, Pyrom - I seem to recall that we chased one down but the other was too far. Should we tell them about the monks?

Remember they said they are watching, of course we don't tell the centaurs about it. We don't know how the monks will react if we did or if they speak elvish. Pyrom said ever so slightly louder than before in common with a very small wink.

I auto succeed on getting the hidden message across that I already told them but I still need to roll in case of the monks being able to hear the exchange and getting sensemotive [roll0]

r2d2go
2014-07-29, 10:28 PM
Ah, right, sorry. In any case, can our new friends lead us to the cave, or at least nearby? Or should we go to the city to restock first? There are a number of items that will greatly increase my undead fighting potential that I would like to purchase, and many aren't specifically for fighting undead and thus can be bought without drawing too much suspicion.

Blink Knight
2014-07-30, 02:42 PM
Another exchange reveals they were already kind enough to leave a trail of landmarks, just in case more of their own came in the area before meeting with them.

After vowing to keep a watch for any more shambling corpses they depart about as loudly as they came, leaving the group alone to rest. Nothing bothers you during the night, and once you are able to see properly, sure enough you see the first landmark that would lead you to the cave. Following this trail for about a quarter mile leads you to a pair of boulders with a large hole between them leaning forward, right, and down for as far as the light reaches.

Ambrose: 80/80.
Manley: 78/80.
Pyrom: 64/64.
Sophos: 89/104.

r2d2go
2014-07-30, 02:52 PM
Can I say I healed with CLW beforehand? Rolls: [roll0], [roll1]. I would then finish healing with Lay on hands on me and Manley.

Sophos whispers to the rest of the group, trying to figure out the best approach to this cave. "Any ideas? Pyrom's fire seemed rather effective - since we have the initiative, perhaps we can clear this easily. Me, Ambrose, and Manley strike at a chokepoint, and we then retreat. and allow Pyrom's wall of flame to clean up. When the wall goes down, we can sweep up the survivors. I have a few scrolls that create huge blocks of wood that can act as temporary obstacles for a chokepoint if a natural one doesn't exist."

Hamste
2014-07-30, 05:54 PM
They mentioned that their were flaming bones though and that is probably resistant to my wall of fire. I do have a back up spell that can take them out out but if there are many of them that could cause us trouble. The most important thing is how thin the tunnels are. Large numbers don't fight well in thin corridors and I have a good area of effect in them. Does any one feel confident about dodging a lightning bolt or surviving being zapped by one? It is one of the few area of effect spells I have that is not fire based and is actually somewhat effective. I have been working on a fix for that but I haven't made the break through yet. I can also make it so that they can't approach us for a little while but without any form of range other than me it isn't probably not going to help much. If there is just one flaming skeleton I can probably take care of it though.

r2d2go
2014-07-30, 06:03 PM
Hm. Perhaps we should have Ambrose or Manley scout the tunnels, see how they look, before we start planning. Their exact width is rather important to any plan. Other than that, though... I would assume any flaming skeleton would be vulnerable to ice. Perhaps due to the effectiveness of your wall of fire, we should focus on taking out the flaming ones first, then use the wall of fire tactic for the rest? And if they are all on fire, then we will just have to take them on normally, though ice spells and using choke points against swarms is still a good idea.

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 06:10 PM
I can prepare some minor magics, but I prefer stealth to avoid the tragics. I'll gladly explore the tunnels, see if there are any good funnels.

piercetbh
2014-07-30, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I'll go for a look through the tunnels as well, though I'm not as stealthy as Ambrose, I don't think.

Blink Knight
2014-07-31, 01:47 AM
Ambrose and Manley take point, and after getting some light going the four of you proceed down within the cave. You hear clusters of chittering bats overhead, but no other signs of anything else as you soon leave the entrance behind and head deeper underground. The width of the passage was widely variable, sometimes requiring single file and others allowing plenty of room between you.

You've probably traveled a good mile already.

And, looking closely at the cave floor you see a number of shadows that do not correspond to any of you or any visible rock. They don't look like bats, either... And they are moving closer...

Initiative:

Ambrose: 19.
Pyrom: 17.
Manley: 15.
???: 12.
Sophos: 1.

The passage is currently 25 feet wide. No map yet because I'm not sure where you are and you're not sure what just happened.

Vhaidara
2014-07-31, 08:35 PM
Ambrose quietly slips back towards the main group.

Blink Knight
2014-07-31, 10:56 PM
Ambrose and Manley both decide they want no part of opponents they cannot even see clearly, and move back towards their fellows. There is no indication they were pursued.

Initiative:

???: 12.
Pyrom: 1.

Map:

. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
c . A M . .
c . . . . .
c . S P . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

r2d2go
2014-07-31, 11:14 PM
...Did you see something?

Sophos grips his holy symbol, ready to stave off any attacking undead.

Readied action to Turn any undead that show up.

piercetbh
2014-08-01, 01:29 AM
Uh, we think something might be coming...we saw a shadow moving like it was headed for us.

Reaching down as he spoke, Manley gripped both of his rapiers and pulled them out by the hilts, holding them in front of him in a ready position.

Bring out the swords as I move back.

r2d2go
2014-08-01, 07:14 AM
That's not good. Pyrom, have you heard of any creature that would look like a living shadow? I really should have payed more attention during my training...

Hamste
2014-08-01, 12:13 PM
That is not much to go on, there is any number of things that could cause it to look like a shadow. Just be warned it could be something else that causes it to be shadow like. That being said it does sound like a Shadow or a Greater Shadow... to be clear I did not make that name up. Someone just decided it would be funny to call something that looks like a shadow a Shadow. I guess it makes their names easier to remember at least. They drain strength from your bones when they touch you. Anyone with no strength left dies and comes back as one of them. They can go through things on the martial plane so that it is difficult to hit them with most attacks. They enjoy hiding in walls until they are ready and popping out to touch you. They are resistant to being commanded. The greater version has similar abilities just stronger. Be prepared for when they attack. They might not have noticed you but do not let your guard down. If you saw you they might have went for help instead of coming for you. Pyrom whispered as he made sure to be in the center of the path. It wouldn't help much if they came from the floor but at least it closed off an avenue of attack. He then readied himself to cast at the first thing popping out of the wall.

Readying an action to cast an orb of force (with smite) when something comes out of the walls/floors/ceiling. Before someone asks, even with out knowledge that force hits incorporeal beings (Which I'm not sure my character knows, though he might even with out points in knowledge plane due to his high intelligence) orb of force is the best choice in this situation. All the other orb spells have secondary effects that make it so they do not count as blasting so they don't get the bonus damage but a shadow can just hide in a wall until the effect runs out so the other spells will just be weaker. The rest of my spells are either area of effects that can seriously hurt us if I tried to use them in a ready action, don't do as much damage as the orb or can't be used against a wall hiding undead.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 12:19 PM
Fighting shadows? Ambrose did not sign up for this. And his limited connection to the Darkhearth wouldn't be very useful here...

I was considering just popping Invisibility, but then I remembered I can turn.

r2d2go
2014-08-01, 05:48 PM
Sophos glances at the walls around him. "Joy... Very well then. I will remain ready to fend them off in Bahamut and Hlal's name. It's a shame every creature we come across seems to be resistant to being turned, though."

Hamste
2014-08-01, 06:01 PM
It makes sense in a way though, if I was a necromancer I would be choosing undead that are harder to be destroyed or controlled to make it harder for my opposition to counter my army as well. It could be worse, we could be fighting things totally immune to turning like trolls or flesh golems.

r2d2go
2014-08-01, 06:28 PM
Sophos chuckles, briefly distracted from the danger at hand. "Very true! I suppose I will count my blessings... though, we should probably get to putting these undead back where they belong."

Blink Knight
2014-08-01, 06:40 PM
You wait patiently for your foes to reveal themselves. You are not kept waiting long. As a horde of shadowy hands reaches out to grab you and do something more sinister than send you back to the entrance a good two thirds of a mile back, Sophos commands them to be gone and fully half of them fade away. Ambrose then immediately follows suit, and abolishes half the remaining ones. One reaches out for Pyrom, and both it and a good sized part of the cave floor are blown away by a ball of energy. Harmless debris, and somewhat harmful negative radiation hits everyone.

The last one reaches for Sophos but can't touch this. :smalltongue:

Initiative:

Shadows: 12.
Pyrom: 1.

Ambrose: 73/80.
Manley: 66/80.
Pyrom: 57/64.
Sophos: 90/104.

Map:

. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
. . . . .
c . A M . .
c . . . . .
c . S P . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .

The party attempts to avoid an explosion: Ambrose: 19+9 = Success! Manley: 1 = Failure! Pyrom: 19+4 = Success! Sophos: 7+4 = Failure! Ambrose and Pyrom take 7 damage. Manley and Sophos take 14 damage.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 06:53 PM
Ambrose steps back from the creature, waiting for if more of them approach.

Step up 1 space, and ready to Turn if I catch a group of [number I blew up]

r2d2go
2014-08-01, 07:13 PM
Can't touch this! Hehe I like the descriptive text :smallbiggrin:

Foul being, you shall not feed upon our souls today!

Edit: Nevermind if it's not in the ground. Instead ready the attack for if it pops up in reach, can't decide Divine Might until I actually attack. I probably won't use it, though, so -6 from damage there. Also, move to the center of the party, so everyone's right within reach.

[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]

Hamste
2014-08-01, 07:49 PM
Pyrom prepared himself for the next onslaught. The undead thankfully seemed to be the weaker version. He prepared to attack with a weaker attack that he could hit with out failure. It hopefully would still be able to kill them when they popped up.

Readying to cast a magic missile again. It does 1d4+8 times 4.

Blink Knight
2014-08-01, 11:11 PM
You all stand ready for another round... but it doesn't come. Satisfied, you continue forward without dropping your guard, but even when the divine command would have worn off you are not attacked. So instead you continue onwards, content that you had driven your enemies off. But the darkness always lurks, watches... waits... And in this cave, the darkness attacks YOU! Suddenly, five hands strike from the ground, aimed at random targets. Ambrose dodges one of the attacks aimed at him, and Pyrom dodges both. That still leaves two of them to sap the strength from Ambrose and Sophos.

Ambrose: 73/80. Current Str: 9/10.
Manley: 66/80.
Pyrom: 57/64.
Sophos: 90/104. Current Str: 8/14.

Initiative:

Manley: 17.
Ambrose: 10.
Sophos: 10.
Shadows: 7.
Pyrom: 7.

Map:

. . . . . . .
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . A M . . c
. . . S . . c
. . . P . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c

r2d2go
2014-08-02, 07:36 AM
Sophos grimaces as he feels the strength draining from him. "Damn... it's clear we need to destroy them, not just make them flee... I don't know if I'm strong enough to do that with Turning. I suppose it's time for me to smash them, then."

I'm still not quite sure how Smite works - I know you need to have your turn come up before you can apply it to AoOs, but can I activate it for AoOs without actually attacking with it? If I can, add that to attacks. Anyway, readied action to Full Attack anything that comes up, with Divine Might this time (though I'll only activate it once I attack, since it's a free action)

Blink Knight
2014-08-03, 10:36 PM
When the shadows popped up again they immediately caught a magic missile volley to the face, followed by a sword swing from Sophos, followed by a white flash, followed by a dark explosion. Most of you managed to avoid the worst of it. Manley tries joining in on the attack as well but only connects once and not very well.

The four remaining ones swing blindly from the ground at whoever they sensed nearby. Pyrom avoids the attack entirely. Ambrose and Sophos are much less fortunate, with all attacks aimed at them connecting and leaving them so weak they could barely move...

Ambrose: 67/80. Current Str: 1/10.
Manley: 60/80.
Pyrom: 45/64.
Sophos: 84/104. Current Str: 3/14.

Initiative:

Map:

. . . . . . .
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . A M . . c
. . . S . . c
. . . P . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c

The party attempts dodging an explosion: Ambrose: 16 + 9 = Success! Manley: 15 + 12 = Success! Pyrom: 8 + 4 = Failure! Sophos: 7 + 11 = Success! Pyrom takes 12 damage, everyone else takes 6.

Vhaidara
2014-08-03, 10:42 PM
Ambrose swears (in rhyme!) as his strength leaves him and his own equipment suddenly weighs him down. A muttered word, and he vanishes.

Invisibility. Now.

r2d2go
2014-08-03, 10:44 PM
Sophos winces in pain. "Dammit... Ambrose, you can temporarily fly, yes? What if you and I stayed airborne? I can keep myself going for a bit longer with a spell, but... won't last long. I can also restore a fair amount of damage once I prepare spells, but that requires me to be, you know, not paralyzed or dead."

Seeing Ambrose turn invisible, Sophos lets out a string of rather nasty curses. "I guess that answers that... It appears these things don't have pinpoint accuracy, and simply reach at the closest living thing... Perhaps if we keep moving, we can slow them. Pyrom, if you've got a spell that will hit them while they're in the ground, I mind being turned into an undead abomination more than a little pain."

Run 60 feet to the side.

piercetbh
2014-08-04, 01:07 AM
He couldn't fly by any means, but Manley did have a few tricks up his sleeve. As he dashed towards the closest wall, his hands and feet began to glow with a sort of shadow energy. Reaching forward, he stabbed his off-hand rapier into a gap in the cave wall and then reached up, using it as a foothold combined with his free hand to climb straight up the wall. His hand and feet would stick to the rock surface, letting him move upwards as he would normally move horizontally.

He had no idea if this would get him away from the shadows, but it was the best he could come up with.

Swift: Enter Dance of the Spider Stance
Move: Move to the Wall
Free: Drop Off-Hand Weapon
Standard: Move 20 Feet Up

Hamste
2014-08-04, 01:13 PM
Hope you are not still there Ambrose or this is going to hurt a bit. Everyone be prepared, that hopefully should kill Pyrom said as he started casting. The heat from the fire should be able to go through the ground. Pyrom then moved in the hopes of making the last shadow attacked him instead of already weakened friends.

Casting wall of fire down the hall way (Over where the three shadows popped up). The hot side is downwards. Assuming they are still down there they take 2d4+16 damage times two. If Ambrose is still there he takes 2d6+20 (They are not evil so they don't get the + spell level damage). Pyrom moved over the space where the last shadow that isn't under the wall of fire was.

Blink Knight
2014-08-04, 04:29 PM
Ambrose vanishes from view and his stuff begins clanging on the ground, while Sophos hobbles out of the way and Manley much more nimbly goes up the wall.

The shadows appear again. 3 pop up in the fire wall and immediately explode. The other takes a swing at Pyrom and steals away much of his strength.

Ambrose: 11/80. Current Str: 1/10.
Manley: 60/80.
Pyrom: 17/64. Current Str: 3/7.
Sophos: 78/104. Current Str: 3/14.

Initiative:

Map:

. . . . . . .
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . P . . c
. . A . . . M
. . . . . . c
. . . . S . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c

People attempt dodging some explosions: Ambrose: 9+10 = Success. Pyrom: 4+10 = Failure. Ambrose takes 7 damage, Pyrom takes 15 damage. Ambrose: 1 = Failure. Pyrom: 20 = Success. Ambrose takes 9 damage, Pyrom takes 4.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 04:51 PM
Ambrose pours his energy into motion, bolting.

Popping x4 Cunning Surge. Unfortunately, it takes a full minute to remove my armor, so I'm at a medium load. So, with 6 move actions, I can get 120ft away. Out of the fire wall, then moving as fast as possible out of the cave.

Hamste
2014-08-04, 05:00 PM
Pyrom didn't enjoy the drain of strength at all. At least he wasn't dependent on it for combat but it still wasn't enjoyable. Everyone ok? I think there may just be one left. I think I can kill it before it hits me but remember if I do die from the strength drain I will come back as a Shadow soon after. It would be much appreciated if someone helped me right now. Pyrom said as he readied an action.

Using my move action to get my rod of empower. Readying to cast an empowered magic missile.

Blink Knight
2014-08-04, 05:24 PM
Because that's actually enough I'm gonna go ahead and end it as these guys have definitely overstayed their welcome. Also, Pyrom takes another 8 damage.

Ambrose channels all his energy into the fine, noble art of Brave Sir Robining. Meanwhile, Pyrom charges up a powerful burst of magic, and as soon as a target reveals itself he unloads in its face and is rewarded by another explosion, and then silence.

Hamste
2014-08-04, 06:50 PM
Never mind, I got it. I'm just going to pretend that everyone was going to be backing me up there instead of fleeing for their lives. So what do we do now? I used a good number of spells and everyone appears to be really drained from the fight so it looks like resting is a good idea so that Sophos can fix us up but who knows how often undead come this way. Does anyone have a way for us to rest here with out having to worry about being spotted or do we have another way to avoid having to make the long track back to the mouth of the cave? Pyrom said as he looked around trying to find where all comrades ran off to. So far out of three fights the paladin had apparently abandoned him twice, once when he thought the monks were going to kill them and now with the shadows. It made sense to do so he guessed but no matter how logical it was it didn't help him much if he was dead.

Continue to ready magic missile.

r2d2go
2014-08-04, 08:16 PM
Sincere apologies, Pyrom. I an quite literally unable to move due to my lack of strength, or I would support you more, and I did plan on turning any that attacked. And I apologize again for the fight with the monks, but they appeared to leave you alive for a reason, and I didn't want us all to die. But I shall do whatever you would like to make up for it.

Including but not limiting to stabbing that bloody coward Ambrose. And curing you, of course.

Sophos says the last bit in a low whisper, as he wasn't sure how far his "ally" had ran, and he knew elves had keen ears.

Hamste
2014-08-04, 08:40 PM
Pyrom moves closer Sophos and pokes him so that they can be touching. Can you still cast? I will help you out of it in a second, we just don't know how long we have until more undead come and it will take us a minute or two to get you out of that thing so it is probably best to heal us up first. Pyrom said.

Also a note I'm the elf, Ambrose is the gnome :P. Also that quip about elves having keen ears made me realize I never took into account my +2 to perception from being an elf (Hopefully, that hasn't mattered at all up to this point)

r2d2go
2014-08-04, 09:00 PM
"Luckily, yes, I can still cast. Not entirely paralyzed, just... trapped by my own armor."

Sophos channels divine energy, touching Pyrom to heal him. "If you could tell Manley to get over here for healing, if he needs it, that'd be wonderful. I can still use my divine spirit, but I don't want Ambrose seeing us."

Actually I meant that he knew he could whisper and still be heard by Pyrom :smalltongue:

Blink Knight
2014-08-04, 09:02 PM
Whatever horrors occupied this cave seemed to not be bothering you. For now.

Ambrose was well away from everyone else now, though he could still see them from the light of the fire wall they could not see him, even if he were not currently invisible. As he considered his situation, and his place deep underground, he noticed almost an instant too late that a dark hand was reaching for his foot. He pulls it back at the absolute last possible second to avoid a fate worse than death. It occurred to him, perhaps a little too late that there were two unaccounted for in the last conflict...

OOC: Yes, 1 lower.

r2d2go
2014-08-04, 09:18 PM
It seems we've earned a moment's respite... Hopefully it's enough. I've got spells that will keep us a bit safer from the ghostly attacks for about an hour - I'll cast it on myself and Pyrom, since we're the ones who were drained. Apologies for not casting it earlier - I thought we had driven them off, and then when they attacked I evaluated that destroying our enemies was more valuable than the measure of protection.

Sophos will take off his armor, presumably with some help after he heals Pyrom, taking 5 rounds. Then he'll use Ectoplasmic Armor on him and Pyrom, giving +5 AC vrs incorporeal touch attacks.

Hamste
2014-08-04, 09:24 PM
Sure, I will get them. Pyrom whispered back before softly calling to Manley.

Manley come on down, I think it is safe. Sophos can still heal us but he doesn't want to heal Ambrose right now. Also can you help with getting Sophos' armor off? I seem to be the most successful at killing them so I want to keep an eye out just in case.

Ah, I read it as you whispering so that he couldn't hear you. I will continue to ready actions as I have before and help take off the armor if I can do the two at the same time (which I don't think I can).

r2d2go
2014-08-04, 09:42 PM
Manley, you'll have to trigger the divine spirit powers yourself - I'll have it reach out, just touch the wisp that extends from my finger. I'm sorry I can't give you armor too - I only have two scrolls, and you're the best off at the moment.

Vhaidara
2014-08-04, 11:46 PM
And Ambrose turns around and starts screaming
There's another one! My time here is not done!

booking it back towards the group with a 40ft total double move each round.

Blink Knight
2014-08-04, 11:59 PM
You have chosen... poorly...

You hear Ambrose cry out and footsteps approach you. They don't get very far, and while you don't see what hit him you do hear a horrific scream. And then a thunk.

As they were operating blindly they had little recourse but to pursue in the same direction they saw him leave. As he made absolutely no attempt to fake out or juke them or do anything other than run in a straight line, as soon as he looked back he saw a black hand reaching out and grabbing the last of his essence, then coldly yanking it from his body. With nothing left, Ambrose's corpse appears on the ground, the magic ending as soon as its caster perished.

Sophos has his armor partially off at this point while Pyrom watches vigilantly, but unfortunately his visual acuity leaves something to be desired, elf or no.

Hamste
2014-08-05, 12:27 AM
That doesn't sound good, are you able to move yet? If you can't move there is a chance they won't know you are here. I need to keep being prepared for them to attack or we are dead meat. We also have to resurrect him before he turns or this could get messy but if we do we will get attacked and I'm the only one with a high chance of killing them quickly and easily. We don't know how much time we have left on that. Hopefully, he isn't still invisible. Pyrom said looking around nervously.

r2d2go
2014-08-05, 12:39 AM
I'm not quite out of this blasted plate mail. Take my scroll - it'll temporarily bring Ambrose back so he's not... converted.

Hamste
2014-08-05, 12:50 AM
Hmmm, if I move over them they will attack me and I can't ready an action plus resurrect them. Well I have to try. Manley, you haven't been touched yet right? Can you come with me to help with the undead? Pyrom said as he moved towards where the yelling was from.

Moving 40 feet towards where the yelling was. If I find the body before exhausting my second move I'm staying 20 feet away and then the turn after that heading towards them and casting the scroll assuming they haven't turned. He is keeping an eye out for a dropped dagger in case they remain invisible.

r2d2go
2014-08-05, 12:57 AM
Perhaps you can avoid detection by moving along the edges - it seemed they didn't have very much in the way of vision. I'll crawl to the side a bit and keep taking off my armor so I can revivify Ambrose, I suppose...

Blink Knight
2014-08-05, 11:26 AM
Manley takes point while Pyrom edges up behind him. It's probably a good thing he had a decoy, because if it were Pyrom forced to dodge that attack he wasn't sure he could. Manley was just fine though.

. . . . P . c
. . . . M . c
. . . . x . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . . . . . c
. . A . . . c

Was Sophos hanging back and still working on his armor? If so, where at?

piercetbh
2014-08-06, 01:40 AM
Having retrieved his second sword from the rock, Manley was fully armed as he moved in front of Pyrom. He wasn't exactly heavily armored, but it would still take him a while to strip down if he also had his strength drained, and he struggled greatly to hide his anxiety. He would just be sitting there, crawling around, trying to get his gear off! Such vulnerability was unheard of for a dextrous swashbuckler such as himself.

Nevertheless he moved on, taking point for the sake of the team.

Blink Knight
2014-08-06, 02:12 PM
Manley keeps the Shadow busy and dodges its attacks while Sophos works at removing his armor and Pyrom approaches. He arrives just in time, was Ambrose was turning suspiciously dark already when he was brought back.

When it doesn't go away right away Manley just stabs it a few times until it explodes and wins that exchange easily enough.

Ambrose: 40/80. Current Str: 1/10.
Manley: 55/80.
Pyrom: 17/64. Current Str: 3/7.
Sophos: 78/104. Current Str: 3/14.

Hamste
2014-08-06, 02:25 PM
Ok, you have about a minute before you die again. Lets get you to Sophos so you when you die they can raise you permanently. Keep an eye out for any more of those undead unless you can sprint again...a little tip, Sophos is not happy with you at all. You really lucky he is willing to go through all this expense to bring you back. I can't imagine all these spells came cheap. Pyrom said as he started walking back towards Sophos.

Readying action to cast empower'd magic missile every turn, we should make it easily even moving at 20 feet per round.

r2d2go
2014-08-06, 07:44 PM
Assuming Ambrose makes his way back, Sophos feebly pulls out his scroll of Revivify, his expression full of restrained anger and less restrained irritation. When the divine energy of his previous scroll wears off, he speaks a word of power, tying his soul securely to his body. That was my only one. We're going to have to be more careful next time.

Hamste
2014-08-06, 08:24 PM
Before you heal him enough that he wakes up is there anything you want to talk about? Specifically, what we will do if this happens again? We could easily all have died from this, it is a miracle I managed to kill those four shadows by myself with out getting more drained then I did and that Manley and I managed to get to him in time to use that scroll. We have to stay together and work together so that we may continue to live. Fleeing can be an option but leaving people behind can not be. Now on another note anyone have any idea how we can get our hands on some more healing scrolls and wands on short notice for cheap? Let's face facts we want to help all we can but there is no way Sophos can cover all our needs as we delve into these cave. It is simply too much healing and too many possible problems that undead can inflict on us for one paladin and one whatever Ambrose is to handle. We got into one fight against one group of enemies and one of us died. That is not good statistics on the caves so far and we have been bleeding consumables way too quickly in our brief adventure for this to be sustainable. Even worse, those enemies didn't even wound us physically and I'm already not faring well simply from the explosions that happen after they die. Pyrom said to those conscious, all the while watching the ground in case more of those monsters came.

r2d2go
2014-08-06, 08:30 PM
I burn through my wands quickly, but they're cheap if we can get to a city. As long as we can get through this, we'll be fine. As for the running... There's not much we can do. I'm hoping that the fact that he died running away is enough, and the fact that I raised him makes him indebted to me. There's not much we can do for someone who has no respect for his allies - we'll just have to be careful, and make it clear that sticking with us is safer than running.

Blink Knight
2014-08-07, 11:49 AM
You start making your way out of the cave. Not long after, Ambrose faceplants on the ground and is quickly brought back for good, and you talk for a little while before healing him enough so he could move and then getting back in the relative safety of daylight, and return to your former camp site and begin the process of recovering from your injuries. The physical wounds were not so bad, but the damage to your bodies was much more difficult.

If you're still wanting to talk with/threaten Ambrose that and his reaction goes here. If not then I'll keep going. You've healed no ability damage yet but could handle the mentioned HP healing.

Blink Knight
2014-08-07, 07:01 PM
You remain vigilant throughout the day and each only sleep one at a time just in case, but nothing bothers you the entire time. Eventually, the sun sets and darkness falls, and no sagely explanation is needed to know that the creatures of the night live up to their names in that they're more active after dusk. But with Pyrom stealing one of Ambrose's tricks and climbing up a tree while Sophos and Manley kept their eyes open on the ground over the gnome in question at least they'd be ready for anything that comes? If nothing else, most of their stolen vitality was back.

You're quite certain you heard something stepping on some leaves not very far outside the forest clearing. Listening closer, you're sure there's something... no, quite a few somethings approaching slowly and trying to not be heard. You can't pick out a direction at first, then you realize that's because they're coming from seemingly every direction of your clearing...

Map:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . P . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . S . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . A M . . . . . .

Ambrose: 79/80. Current Str: 3 + 1d4(?)/10.
Manley: 80/80.
Sophos: 94/104.

piercetbh
2014-08-08, 01:22 AM
Also, in the hopes of getting the game back focused on the game go ahead and assume Manley is drawing his weapons and indicated that you have a lot of company walking up.

That won't be necessary, I've got this.Something's coming, Manley whispered to Sophos, attempting to warn his colleague of the danger without making it obvious to any hunters that he knew of their presence. To that end, he didn't touch his swords.

...Coming from every direction, it seems like. I think it's a big group. Try not to be too conspicuous, they could be on us in moments for all I know.

r2d2go
2014-08-08, 02:07 AM
Sophos subtly casts a spell, preparing for the oncoming combat.

Cast Fist of Stone.

Hamste
2014-08-08, 12:30 PM
Pyrom notices Sophos casting a spell and tries to make himself look as small as possible in the tree. He wasn't sure what was happening but if they were being attacked him being up in the tree would hopefully allow him a great advantage. He resigned himself to having to tack some more waiting time onto his schedule before he could get his spells back as prepared himself in case these were not friends.

Rolling stealth to hide in the tree, [roll0]

Blink Knight
2014-08-08, 12:51 PM
You definitely knew something was coming, and Sophos got ready to punch it in the face. Just in case. It was just a matter of...

"DRARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROR GUNDFORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTH!"

If anyone had been asleep, they'd have woken up to see a massive hulking man dashing in from the right wearing light armor and holding a club that could have passed as a small tree over his head. Still holding the weapon one handed, he punches Manley in the face. This was definitely not any ordinary berserker though, as those only made you lose blood when they hit you... not a part of your very soul! The unholy berserker then shoulder charged Manley, but even weakened and disoriented he was nimble enough to keep his balance. He wasn't nimble enough to avoid being hit in the face with his greatclub, but as strong as the warrior looked he still was not hit that hard...

A pair of ghouls joined in from the west but their attacks proved largely ineffective.

Initiative:

Draror Gundforth: 33.
Ghouls: 20.
Manley: 19.
Pyrom: 12.

Map:

. . . . . P . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . g S . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . g M H . . . . .

Manley: 35/70. 2 negative levels.
Sophos: 84/104.

The berserker punches Manley and hits for 15 damage and 2 negative levels. The berserker attempts to trip Manley (DC 18): 18+4 = Success. The berserker hits Manley in the face for 20 damage.

One ghoul attacks Sophos and hits 1 out of 3 attacks, dealing 10 damage. Sophos attempts to resist paralysis: 15+6 = Success.

One ghoul attacks Manley and doesn't hit him at all.

r2d2go
2014-08-08, 02:23 PM
Sophos hefts his newly stone-encased fist, ready to punch... Draror Gundforth. In the face. So, Pyrom, your years of learning tell us anything about how to kill this guy?

Hamste
2014-08-08, 02:50 PM
Vampire! Use silver against them if you have any. Be wary, they are very annoying to kill. If we can make them helpless there is a chance staking him with a wooden stake may kill him but that won't be particularly easy. Pyrom said as he cast one of his strongest spells. He really hope the vampire didn't manage to dodge it.

Casting an Empowered Fireball (Avoiding hitting my comrades by hitting in the woods a bit). Reflex 17 for half it does [roll0]times 1.5 +3 (assuming he is evil on the +3)

r2d2go
2014-08-08, 03:28 PM
"Does shoving a stake through it now count?"

Hamste
2014-08-08, 03:41 PM
If you figure a way to somehow shove a wooden stake not just through his armor but his tough hide as well and manage to pierce him through the heart with it all while he is still able to react I will be quite impressed with your skill and strength. He is almost certainly going to have to be helpless and considering the rumors about how difficult they are to be killed I seriously doubt they just fall unconscious when they get hit too hard.

r2d2go
2014-08-08, 03:43 PM
Heh, well, divine reinforcement of both my strength and the stake can help, but good point. I suppose we should focus on taking him down, then destroying him, then.

Blink Knight
2014-08-08, 10:15 PM
Weakened though he was, Manley still got off a pair of solid, but not very deep hits upon one of the ghouls.

Pyrom realizes a little late that something is going on nearby. And then he smells something absolutely horrid. And then he looks down to see a familiar looking armored pale figure climbing up the tree after him. He chomps on Pyrom and his jaw locks up. Then, apparently very angry with him, he lays into him with absolutely vicious claw strikes. He then cackles dryly, his mouth coated with blood. His friend was much more animated.

"AhaHAHAHA! You're too small to stick anything in me! But come on and try! I'll break you all! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

As much as Pyrom would have certainly liked trying his luck at burnination or engaging in the fine art of stop saying words now, he couldn't make his body obey him.

Initiative:

Manley: 19. +2
Ghast: 16.
Pyrom: 12. Paralyzed (2).

Map:

. . . . . PG. . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . g S . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . g M H . . . . .

Manley: 35/70. 2 negative levels.
Pyrom: 18/64.
Sophos: 84/104.

An angry Ghast exacts vengeance upon Pyrom! Pyrom attempts to resist being sickened: 3+6 = Failure. The Ghast bites Pyrom and deals 16 damage. Pyrom attempts to resist paralysis: 8+4 = Failure. Pyrom is paralyzed for 3 rounds.

The Ghast then mauls him with its claws: Critical hit! Pyrom takes 22 damage. Hit! Pyrom takes 8 damage.

Also really? 19, 20, 20, 19? He really was salty about that fire wall.

Given the tactical situation has changed I'll give Sophos a chance of changing tactics.

r2d2go
2014-08-09, 02:04 AM
Sophos curses as the ghast assaults his ally. "Dammit. You're not getting away this time..." He spreads his somewhat cumbersome wings, flying towards Pyrom and willing his kusarigama into his hand. A moment later, he bears down on the ghast, slashing it three times and discharging a stunning blast as he does, then punching it in the face. Finally, he moves his healing spirit by Manley. "You know the drill - touch that and make yourself less dead. Hopefully. Then you probably want to run behind me."

Fly to 5 feet below, 5 feet diagonally east and south from ghast.[roll0], [roll1]
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]
[roll6], [roll7]
Save DC 20 or be stunned.

Blink Knight
2014-08-09, 11:06 AM
Forced to change tactics, Sophos gets out of there to save Pyrom. Both ghouls chomp him on his way out, but his body remains mobile. He heads over beside the Ghast and hits it hard twice, white sparks flying each time. That wasn't enough to destroy it however, just distract it from its meal.

A pack of wolves burst out from the forest! A pair of them snapped at Sophos, more just keeping him busy. The rest ganed up on Manley and while dodging several enemies at once wasn't that hard for him, one still managed to nip him, though not hard enough to cause any real harm, or strongly enough to pull him down on the ground.

While it was fortunate they did seem to be just wolves, they were just wolves that were currently boxing Manley in! Draror punches Manley in the face and further feasts upon his immortal soul before ruthlessly beating him into the ground.

"You're next cocky running man! Come here!"

One of the ghouls started kneeling down to devour Manley and nearly lost its head for it.

"Mine!"

So instead they cut through the forest to attack Sophos. The first leans in and bites him and when it jerks its head back...

Sophos is paralyzed.

Initiative:

Manley: 19. +2
Ghast: 16.
Pyrom: 12. Paralyzed (2).
Wolves: 4.

Map:

. . . . . g . w . . . . . . .
. . . . . PGS . . . . . . . .
. . . . . g . w . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . w w w . . . . .
. . . . . . . . M D . . . . .
. . . . . . . w w w . . . . .

Manley: -33/60. 4 negative levels.
Pyrom: 18/64.
Sophos: 58/104.

Sophos provokes a pair of AoOs: Hit. Hit. Sophos takes a total of 17 damage. Sophos attempts to resist paralysis: Not 1. Not 1. Success. Sophos attempts to resist being sickened: Not 1. Success.

The wolves attack Sophos and hit 0 out of 2 attacks.

The wolves attack Manley and hit 1 out of 6 attacks dealing 2 damage. Manley attempts to resist being tripped (DC 15): 15+4 = Success.

A Ghoul chews on Sophos:

1d20+0
1+0 = 1

1d20+6
16+6 = 22

...Well then. Should I even play out the auto numble and see if anyone makes it?