PDA

View Full Version : Colonization: A New World - Part 1 Beginnings & Explorations

The_GrinningMan
2014-07-25, 02:42 AM
Part 1
Beginnings & Explorations

The sound of creaking lumber and the gentle lapping of waves accompany the sound of gulls as an unfamiliar sun rises over the waters of a strange ocean. The storm from the previous night has ended, leaving behind nothing but a steady, warm breeze, and the broken, shattered remains of a once large and proud spelljammer arc. The wreckage of the Bastion rests firmly on an expanse of coral reefs and rocks at the mouth of a calm island cove. Refugees mill about the remains, doing their best to keep clear of the broken areas and collecting what supplies have not slipped into the ocean already. The heroes awaken to the fearful muttering and crying of the refugees as they survey their new surroundings, many of them wondering how long the remains of the Bastion will remain stable before it finally gives out and collapses into the ocean.

The island cove seems calm, protected from the ocean waves by the barrier of reefs and rocks on which the Bastion now rests, and the waters appear clear and blue. A good distance away, roughly three hundred feet or so, the group can see the sandy island beach stretching in a half circle around the cove. The sands gleam ivory in the morning sun, warm and inviting, and just beyond the beach rises the emerald green canopy of what appears to be a tropical jungle. From the broken deck of the Bastion, the group can see a single mountain towering further inland, its slopes dark and rocky even at this distance.

A few minutes after the refugees notice the heroes have woken, they are approached by a large man with a thick black beard. The group recognizes him as Gavin, the Bastion's quartermaster, and he seems weary as he speaks, “The ship is lost. She's taken too much damage and I fear she'll fall apart before the sun sets. We've also lost most of the life boats, there's only two remaining,” he gestures to the waters of the island cove where two longboats have been lowered. Though large, each one wont hold more than ten people each, “I've had some of my men take an inventory and a head count. We've four hundred and thirteen survivors, fifty seven dead, and enough supplies to last us a week at most,” he gives a heavy sigh and looks to the group for guidance.

Inevitability
2014-07-25, 04:48 AM
The small pseudodragon moans, then opens an eye. As Aeneth sees where she is, she rises with considerable speed. After quickly checking herself for bruises, the small dragon takes off into the air.

Curiously, she flies around the wreckage, trying to notice anything interesting or shiny. Even if they are crashed, a few more trinkets to add to her small hoard are always welcome.

Perception: [roll0]

Echobeats
2014-07-25, 07:03 AM
Hazard awakens in the hold, still in raven form, under a pile of spilled grain. What an unpleasant dream, he thinks to himself. Then, I'm sure there didn't used to be sunlight streaming through a hole in the side.

He flies out through the hole and takes stock of his surroundings. Some humanoids are milling around on deck. He recognises the man with the thick black beard as the one whose notice he's been dodging for the whole voyage, and overhears a comment about there not being much food. I like food. Best find some. He flies high up to the top of the mast to take stock of his new surroundings. Crow's nest my scaly foot. Ravens have much better eyesight.

I am looking for potential sources of food, threats, and the general layout of the land near the beach. I'll fly as high as needed to get a wide enough view. Guessing I will roll odd; if so I get +5 from Beginner's Luck.

Perception (1d20+6)[12] – sorry, lost the roll when editing out a typo, but I assume you'll believe I'm being honest given it's such a rubbish roll and I predicted wrong.

DSCrankshaw
2014-07-25, 07:39 AM
Ben Stonehold

When Ben wakes up, he spends his first few minutes staring at his hands. He's been doing that a lot lately, looking for . . . He's not sure what he's looking for. But if his mother wasn't human, what does that make him? And if he's something else, shouldn't he be able to see it or feel it or something? Giving up on his hands, he feels at his ears, almost expecting to find points. But no, his mother wasn't an eladrin princess in disguise, and he isn't an half-elf now any more than when Astar told him. Why should he be any different? It had been ten years since his mother died, and he'd never shown any sign of being anything but what he appeared. Maybe he was human, and the person Astar had seen wasn't his real mother but an imposter, and his mother was alive somewhere. Or more likely, Astar had been delirious and speaking nonsense.

With a sigh, Ben leaves his berth to see what's going on. The damage to the ship is worse than he'd thought. He'd slept fitfully last night once it was clear that they weren't going to drown, but it looks like it was a nearer thing than he'd realized. When the quartermaster explains the situation, Ben says, "It'll take a lot of trips to get everyone ashore then. That should be our first priority. I can take a turn at an oar and help ferry people."

Felhammer
2014-07-25, 04:39 PM
RHOLA

The tiefling crouched low, against the side of the ship, her daughter beside her as the craft hurdled towards its demise. The next thing Rhola sees is... A beach, the water and some of the survivors. Panic washes over the mother as she jumps to her feet to find Xaria. As luck would have it, the young lass was still knocked out, lying on the ground. Rhola maneuvers over to her daughter. With great care and a gentle caress, she brings the teenager back from the world of dreams and to the strange... Yet oddly beautiful world. "You are awake my daughter. That is good. We have survived, although many were not as fortunate." The knight runs her finger through Xaria's hair, I may have to leave you here for a time to help the others scout out the island. I want you to stick close to the Quartermaster. He is most likely going to be in charge for while we are away."

With a mournful look, Rhola pulls herself away from her daughter to engage with Gavin, "Hail and greetings good sir. I am Rhola Rhybri-Zon, heir apparent to the Duchy of Rhybrony. I have vanquished orcs, giants and beasts in my days as a Knight Hospitaller. I would see those beaches over yonder scouted before we bring any survivors over. The ship will last until sun set, spare a half hour for a scouting party to row over and reconnoiter the new terrain. I do not wish to lose any more people, especially if such deaths are preventable. We are few in number Quartermaster, we must be especially careful where we bring the civilians."

Rhola masterfully strides over to a dingy, "Tell me Master Gavin, are there any of your crew capable of holding themselves in combat? I will require their aid if we are to complete our mission with enough time to spare. I remember seeing many well traveled warriors in our company before we left, have they all perished?"

Echobeats
2014-07-25, 06:08 PM
From his perch atop the mast, Hazard examines the ship to see if anything can be done to get it moving again, even if only just far enough to get non-flying people to shore.

Arcana (guessing odd): [roll0]

Echobeats
2014-07-26, 03:24 AM
Arcana: [roll0] (guessing base roll odd).

The_GrinningMan
2014-07-28, 08:15 AM
Aneth is unable to find anything of value in the wreckage of the ship

From the crow's nest Hazard is able to see the semi-circle curve of ivory beach beyond the blue waters of the cove, and the jungle that stretches beyond that. there are no obvious threats or sources of food within sight from his position. A glance at the ship makes it clear there is no chance of getting it sea worthy again, let alone able to sail the astral currents again.

Gavin regards Rhola after her question, "Some of them are irregulars, most can hold a sword. But none are soldiers or knights m'lady, and they are scared. Perhaps not best suited to your cause, but they'll give their best."

Inevitability
2014-07-28, 08:29 AM
The pseudodragon, slowly losing the rush from exploring a new place, realizes that a lot of the people here probably need help. She slowly flies around, looking for anyone who might be in trouble.

If you want to, feel free to make Aeneth arrive at the location of the negotiations. I am all in favor for the GM slightly influencing things to speed the game up.

Echobeats
2014-07-28, 11:43 AM
Hazard strains his beady black eyes, but cannot see anything beyond the general shape of the beach. Down below, he sees a group of ground-huggers talking and flies down to see what's going on. He overhears someone talking about rowing a scouting party over. Smart plan. No way am I getting in one of those worm-eaten boats, though. He takes wing and flies landward at top speed to search for anything worth knowing about.

Hazard is going to fly up and down the length of the beach at a height of 10 squares (50 feet) looking for food sources, threats, signs of intelligent life, animal tracks, and the like. He can fly 12 squares (60 feet) in one round (fly speed 4, +2 for running, two move actions per round). He will take up to 30 minutes (300 rounds) using the "Searching" rules on DMG p41. With Beginner's Luck his maximum Perception roll is 31. If you're willing, I'd be grateful if you could PM me what I find rather than posting it here, unless there's anything that the people on the ship would see as well.

EDIT: I am also looking for threats in the water between the ship and the shore, such as sharks or similar creatures.

DSCrankshaw
2014-07-28, 11:53 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben's happy to let someone else take charge: he's used to following orders. He doesn't entirely agree with the Tiefling woman's priorities, however. "Scouting the beach is wise," Ben says."But I worry about how long the ship will hold together given the damage. I don't think we can have them sit here for very long. I think we should start unloading the ship as soon as possible, lest we lose the ship before we can unload it. "

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 02:51 AM
RHOLA

Gavin regards Rhola after her question, "Some of them are irregulars, most can hold a sword. But none are soldiers or knights m'lady, and they are scared. Perhaps not best suited to your cause, but they'll give their best."

The proud knight rests her hands upon the Quartermaster's shoulder. She flashes a warm but confident smile, "Fret not. I can defend them, so long as they are able to row a boat and have sharp eyes to spot enemies." She pats the man's shoulder three times, then imperiously strides over to the nearest dingy. "This should do. Quickly Master Gavin, assemble your men."

The woman looks over to Ben then to her surroundings. Her eyes fall upon her young daughter. Shaking off a bad feeling, Rhola states, "A sound suggestion if I ever heard one. We shall send a group of men-at-arms first to secure the beachhead and defend the landing point. From there, Master Gavin's men can begin hauling supplies and people."

DSCrankshaw
2014-07-29, 10:30 PM
Ben Stonehold

"All right, first let's secure the beachhead, then we can start ferrying people over. Master Gavin, do you think there'll be enough time to unload all the supplies before the ship breaks apart?" He looks around, trying to judge for himself how long the boat has. It looks like it should have sunk already. "Lady Rhola, I can accompany you to the beach, and make sure it is secure, but I suggest we hurry. Master Gavin, perhaps you can start getting ready to ferry people over, and follow us once we signal that the beach is clear."

The_GrinningMan
2014-07-30, 07:43 AM
Gavin takes a moment to consider the situation before he replies, "It will take several hours to unload all the supplies from the ship. The sooner we get started the better," he squints at the shore and scratches his beard, "Perhaps additional rafts could be hobbled together from those trees after you've secured the beach," he suggests, "I'll send my eight most able men with you to establish a landing, they can begin constructing rafts while you ensure there are no threats in the area," he waits for approval, obviously having invested leadership in the more capable heroes.

Inevitability
2014-07-30, 11:18 AM
Gonna go ahead and assume I turn up at the place of conversation.

Aeneth emerges from behind a broken piece of wood and metal, and curiously looks at the people discussing what to do. Eager to help, the small drake flies towards the heroes and speaks:

"Erm, hello there. I'm Aeneth and I heard you talking about getting those people safely across. I think I would be capable of surveying the area before you set foot there. Even if there is something, I would have an easier time escaping from it than several heavily armored soldiers."

Waiting for the others to respond, Aeneth playfully lands on a nearby piece of the ship and starts observing the people she just talked too.

DSCrankshaw
2014-07-31, 07:34 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben gives the tiny dragon a bemused look. He's heard of pseudo-dragons, but this is the first time he's seen one. " Greetings, Aeneth. I am Ben, and this is Lady Rhola. If you wish to scout the shore before we travel there, your help would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, though, we have no choice--we can't stay here, and there's nowhere else to go. Rhola and I will gather some men and follow you to shore. You can warn us before we arrive if there's trouble. "

Inevitability
2014-07-31, 07:45 AM
"I'll be on my way then! See you at the shore!"

Excited in anticipation of what she may discover, Aeneth takes off. She flies towards the shore, keeping an eye out for potential danger.

Echobeats
2014-07-31, 03:19 PM
I am going to go ahead and assume Aeneth makes it directly to shore without being eaten by a sea serpent, and that the roll the DM asked me to make is the exact number that answers my question. If I am wrong on either count I will edit in a retcon as appropriate.

Something catches the corner of Hazard's beady black eye. He looks up and sees a gleam of golden scales skimming across the surface of the water towards the shore. As it approaches he recognises the golden brown colouring of the pseudodragon that had shared the voyage with him. Vaguely he remembers that he thinks she likes shiny objects as much as his former avian self had. Suddenly a plan springs fully-formed into his warped mind. A totally crazy and stupid plan. Perfect. If it were possible to grin with a beak, he would have.

Working quickly, he finds a long, low rock and drags the seventeen iridescent crabs he has just caught behind it so as to be out of sight from seaward. Then he waits, peeking just above the rock until the pseudodragon lands on the beach a few dozen yards away.

He sees the flying reptile alight on the sand and look around. Suddenly he shifts into human form. To the pseudodragon, it would look as though a man of slightly under medium height, with long hair and a flowing beard, had suddenly appeared out of thin air.

He is still wearing the same magician's robes and carrying the same staff he had been before he left the faraway world that was his home. It feels slightly strange after so long as a bird, but he does his best to hide it and ignore the urge to shake his feathers and peck at shiny pebbles.

Greetings, scaled one!, he calls in the friendliest, most booming voice he can muster. Welcome to my island home! I have been so long without company – I am the last of my race, you know. I am glad to see at least one creature survived the terrible crash I witnessed last night. Pray, can you speak with men? It would be so good to have someone to talk to again. Are all your shipmates like yourself?

To save rolling multiple Bluff checks during this conversation, I am going to take 10 where possible. This gives me a 27. Please let me know if you would like me to do a proper roll for anything in particular.

Inevitability
2014-08-01, 01:09 AM
Surprised at the stranger appearing out of thin air, Aeneth jumps back several feet before cautiously approaching.

"I'm... Aeneth. I am here to scout ahead for the people back on that ship. There are hundreds of them! The problem is we don't know how to get them to the shore.

Could you please help us? There are many innocent humans who will die if we don't get them to a suitable place to live soon."

The drake then lands on the sand and carefully waits for the human to answer. She keeps her eyes focused on him though, she doesn't trust him fully yet.

Readied action: If the human attacks or performs another offensive action, Aeneth will fly 6 squares towards the sea.

Felhammer
2014-08-01, 01:24 AM
RHOLA

The tiefling nods at the curious creature and says, "Indeed, scout ahead. We shall join you shortly." Rhola watches the new-found-friend take flight and scurry off. Meanwhile, she looks to Gavin and Ben, "Quickly, we haven't much time. To the shore!"

Echobeats
2014-08-01, 02:29 PM
Hundreds of people, goodness me!, replies Hazard. I'm sure I shall be quite overwhelmed after so many years alone. But we must see to their safety – that is paramount. No doubt you fear the ship will break apart before they are all safely ashore – I was surprised it was not totally destroyed on impact.

But where are my manners? You must forgive me, Aeneth: it has been so long since I had anyone to introduce myself to. Aeneth, what a pleasant name. I am called Hazard. The rest of my nation, alas, are perished, but our custom was always to give newcomers a gift. I fear I have had no opportunity to prepare anything worthy, but I hope you will accept this paltry token of welcome. Hazard picks up a crab carcass from behind the rock and holds it out to Aeneth; its carapace glitters multi-coloured in the morning sun.

And of course I shall be glad to help your people ashore. I regret I have no boats to offer you, but the distance to your ship can be no more than a hundred yards. The able-bodied among you should be able to swim that distance easily, carrying the weak and injured if you have no seaworthy lifeboats. I urge you, though, to let no-one bleed into the water – this is most important. Do whatever you can to avoid letting a scent of blood escape. In the meantime, I will keep a lookout for the Ravenheads. They are savage and vicious creatures, and fiendishly difficult to see, but I have many years' practice at spotting them and outrunning them. If I see any I will give you a warning before I flee. We will simply have to hope that the arrival of so many people does not attract the attention of the dragon.

Inevitability
2014-08-02, 03:29 AM
Seeing the shiny crab dangle, Aeneth quickly flies forward and grabs it. With a quick motion, a bag appears, seeminly out of nowhere. The drake quickly stuffs the crab in it and then dismisses it with another gesture.

"Thank you for your gift, oh kind Hazard. I will immediately report what I have learned to my companions. Do not worry, I will return soon."

The drake then starts flying at top speed towards the wreckage, having important information to share. As she arrives, she just sits there panting for a few seconds before telling her story to Rhola and Ben.

"I found out a lot! There's a strange man there with a long beard who smells bad and he says he's the last of his race and there are Ravenheads and a dragon and nice shiny crabs and the man gave me one and he said we can easily swim to the shore if we avoid having blood fall into the water I think because there are nasty monsters in it and..."

Realizing that the human and tiefling probably not are able to follow her, she starts over.

"Erm, sorry for that. I got across safely, and there is a strange human there. He said he was the last of his kind and hasn't seen anyone in years. He also told me there were lots of monsters on the island, like Ravenheads and even a dragon! According to the man, we should be able to swim across, as long as we avoid getting blood into the water."

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-02, 10:35 AM
Ben Stonehold

By the time Aeneth returns, Ben is aboard the boat with Gavin's men. He nods at Aeneth's words. "We should talk to this stranger and see what he knows. In the meantime, I don't plan to ask anyone to swim if we don't have to. The danger of blood has me worried. Given the number killed or injured in the crash, I have no doubt that we've already put a lot of blood in the water. Besides, I'd like to talk to the stranger before taking his word. There are a lot of lives here to entrust to the word of a stranger."

Ben settles into the boat, and once Rhola joins them, directs the men to shore.

Echobeats
2014-08-03, 03:32 PM
Hazard watches the drake leave, then wastes no time. Quickly burying his stash of crab carcasses, and keeping one in his pocket for a snack, he walks briskly inland until he is just far enough into the jungle not to be seen from the beach. Then he turns back into raven form and takes wing, flying just below the canopy so as to be as high up as possible while still able to see the ground clearly. If I'm going to be their native guide, I'd best know as much about this place as possible.

Flying into the jungle at top speed (12 sq/60 ft per round) at altitude aforesaid and using passive perception (21) to look for anything worth knowing about (not searching this time to save time). Heading inland for 15 minutes and then back again, unless I find anything I want to stop and investigate. In order to cover more ground I will take an oval shaped route. I reckon I should make it roughly 1.5 miles inland before turning back (it would be 1.7 miles in a straight line, but slightly less in a () shaped route). Please PM me what I find.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-03, 09:09 PM
The trip across the cove is rather pleasant. The surface is calm, protected from the ocean waves by the same coral reef and rocks that the Bastion was wrecked on, and the water is so blue and clear that the group can see the sandy bottom as they near the shore. Once the boat is pulled up on the sand, the eight men leap climb ashore and spread out to secure the landing area. They unload the few supplies that were brought along, including rope and axes, but they wait for orders from the heroes before doing anything more than settling the bot and making sure there are no dangers nearby.

The group finds that the beach is not as clean as it had appeared from the ship. Various rock formations form tide pools along the shore where iridescent crabs scuttle alongside tiny silver fish, and patches of tall grass and moss grow among the stones. the white sand is covered in places by various types of seaweed that has washed ashore, and here and there the group can see shells of various sizes and colors.

Inevitability
2014-08-04, 01:29 AM
Aeneth jumps off the boat and starts flying. Hovering about seven feet above the ground, she flies around looking for her companion. Fearing to attract any of the wild beasts, she doesn't raise her voice though.

"Hazard? Are you there? I'm back."

Turning to her comrades, Aeneth says:

"I don't get it... He was here only minutes ago!"

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 02:15 AM
RHOLA

The knight hops out of the dingy and jumps onto dry land. She draws her quarterstaff and takes up a defensive position while the men hop out and join her on shore. Rhola confidently declares, "There seem to be few threats here. A group of you head back and start bringing people and supplies over." She turns to Aeneth, "Where is the native you spoke of? We have need of his knowledge." The tiefling motions for Aeneth to follow her as she heads inland a bit and peers out into the jungle.

Activate the Defend the Line Stance.

Inevitability
2014-08-04, 04:35 AM
"I'm not sure... When I left, he said he was going to look for 'Ravenheads', savage creatures that may pose a threat. I do not know when he will return. I think we should wait here for him. Stumbling into unknown lands would be unwise."

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-04, 07:56 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben turns to the other sailors as Rhola heads to the forest, and says, "Come. Gavin said that you could make some rafts. I will keep watch while you do so." Ben leads the men to the treeline, and lets them choose which trees to cut, but he makes sure they don't go too far into the unknown forest, and that they don't wander from where Rhola and Aeneth are. Once things are well underway, Ben kneels in the sand and lifts some of it into his hands. "Moradin," he whispers. "If you can hear me, we need your help. I need you." He listens closely. He had never heard an audible voice from his god, but he has felt him, in the weight of the earth, in the silence of stone. He tries his best now to hear something, anything.

[roll0]

Echobeats
2014-08-04, 04:04 PM
Flying back towards the shore, Hazard hears the sound of axes on wood as he nears the shore. They didn't waste any time, then. He lands a short way back from the edge of the trees, turns into a human, and strides out onto the sand. Hello again, Æneth... It was Æneth, wasn't it? I see you've brought some friends. A dozen people all here on the same beach, goodness! It's quite overwhelming. I hope I'll get used to it soon.

Would you like some water? He produces a small flask from within his robes and offers it to the drake. I can show you or one of these fine fellows the way to the river whenever you're ready. I've just been checking for Ravenheads. It's quite safe at the moment.

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 05:08 PM
RHOLA

After investigating the forest for a bit, she arrives to the beech and finds the native has returned. She greets the being with a smile, "Hail and well met... Hazard. I am Lady Rhola of House Rhybri, who once ruled the whole of Rhybrony. Are all the beings of this world as seemingly nice as you? From where do you hail originally? What brings you to this bay? Is there ample food and water to feed a few hundred souls?"

Echobeats
2014-08-04, 05:46 PM
Welcome, Ladyrholaofhouserhybri, to my island home. I regret I know little about the world beyond these shores, for I have never left these shores, but this land is not without its dangers. I am the last of my kind since the eruption, and my fair island is now home to the Ravenheads. You should avoid them if ever you see one.

As for what brings me to this bay, I saw your great craft fall from the sky and came to see what had happened. I can show you where to find water, and food is plentiful for those who know where to look. If you are hungry now, would you like a crab? I caught some earlier.

Bluff: [roll0]

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 07:03 PM
RHOLA

The tiefling eyes the stranger wearily but accepts his words at face value. She plants her quarterstaff into the ground before her, "You are a strange native but... Not as nightmare-ish as I had feared. What are these Ravenheads' you speak of?"

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-04, 07:13 PM
Ben Stonehold

"Wait," Ben says, getting up from where he's kneeling. He walks over to where the others are standing, his hand wrapped around the handle of his battleaxe. "Before we go forward, I want to know why this man is lying to us." He gives Hazard a very stern glare.

Usually social skills cannot be used against PCs, with the possible exception of Bluff and Insight. But I'll roll intimidate anyway, and leave it to Echobeats how to interpret and/or act on the roll. Unless the DM has any thoughts.

[roll0]

Inevitability
2014-08-05, 02:06 AM
"L...Lying?"

Aeneth was struck by the comment. Why would Hazard be lying? What'd he gain from... wait.

The drake turned to the human standing there accusing their guide, and flew straight at him.

"How dare you say such things! You are the one who's lying here! How do we even know we can trust YOU?"

Flying a few foot away from the human, the angry small drake tried to remember his body language at the time of his accusation.

Insight (on Ben): [roll0]

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 04:21 AM
Hazard addresses Lady Rhola's question first. They are vicious savages, he says with what he hopes is a convincing shudder, with the body of a man but the head of a raven. They came soon after the eruption; I don't know where from. I have often wondered if the dragon brought them. They ate the few of my people who survived the eruption; only I am left. I have grown skilled at spotting and avoiding them; they are fiendishly hard to see when they wa...

He is interrupted by a glare and a challenge from the serious-looking human. Before he can answer, the golden drake rushes to his defence. Now that was unexpected, he thought. She must really like shiny things.

As Aeneth glares at her companion, Hazard speaks as soothingly as he can, keeping one eye on the man's stony face and the other firmly on the large axe in his hands. Friend, I am saddened to encounter such distrust at our first meeting. If I have offended you somehow, I am mortified and beg your forgiveness. I pray you remember we come from two different worlds; your customs are strange to me. Was it rude of me to offer food and water before giving you my name? Let me remedy that: I am Hazard, the last living native human of this island. Pray tell me your name?

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-05, 07:46 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben blinks at Aeneth's onslaught. He was not expecting this. " You can trust me because I was on that ship with you. I'm in the same desperate straits as you ar--" He hesitates, a new thought occurring to him. "Assuming you were on that ship. I don't recall seeing you there before we arrived. You have wings, you could have flown out to the ship after we crashed. For all we know, you're from this island and allied with this stranger. How do we know that you aren't in on this liar's con?"

Inevitability
2014-08-05, 07:58 AM
"Don't try to avoid my question! How do I know you can be trusted? Lady Rhola, please understand this man is lying!"

Calling upon the tiefling for help, Aeneth flies over to her, landing in front of her.

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 08:04 AM
Ben's Intimidate 20 narrowly fails to beat Hazard's Will defence of 21. I interpret this as meaning Hazard knows Ben is trying to intimidate him, and it nearly works, but Hazard is not shaken enough for it to affect his performance. NB per the rules Ben may not try to intimidate Hazard again this encounter.

Diplomacy (to appease Ben; as with the Intimidate attempt, let Ben interpret the roll how he will.):
Guessing odd for a +5 bonus (Beginner's Luck)
[roll0]

Not sure if the DM will want another Bluff check since I am not saying much that's new. Let me know if you do.

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 08:14 AM
Assuming you were on that ship. I don't recall seeing you there before we arrived. You have wings, you could have flown out to the ship after we crashed. For all we know, you're from this island and allied with this stranger. How do we know that you aren't in on this liar's con?"

"Don't try to avoid my question! How do I know you can be trusted? Lady Rhola, please understand this man is lying!"

If I may interject, this should be easily resolved. Æneth told me there were hundreds of people aboard your... what did you call it? "Ship"? Surely some of them must have seen her during the voyage? I do not know where you have come from, but I cannot imagine the journey was a short one.

Thanks to Beginner's Luck and a correct guess, my 23 Diplomacy is actually a 28.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-05, 08:40 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben frowns at the man. He sounds reasonable, but that doesn't change the fact that Ben knows he's lying. It's possible that what he's lying about isn't anything important. He looks to Rhola. "I'll leave it to you to judge our course of action, my lady. I know that this Hazard is lying about something, but I don't know what. And I can't be certain one way or the other about the pseudo-dragon."

See OOC for diplomacy roll: 18

Felhammer
2014-08-05, 11:11 AM
RHOLA

This is why I stayed as far away from court as I could. The woman stands up straight and confidently declares, "Petty bickering will get us no where. Rhola sighs. No one tells the whole truth because everyone has secrets. The difference between the secrets I have and the secrets some of you may have is that none of mine will hurt the good people on that ship." Rhola slams her staff into the dirt three times, "If any of you deliberately harm those people..." She lets her threat go unstated but the grimace on her face leads everyone to the same conclusion - Rhola will kill you.

She nods to Ben, then continues her speech, Now we have work to do." She turns her attention to Hazard "You, native, tell me about these Ravenheads. Are they a threat to the people of the ship? How do they organize their society? Do they have a leader we can parlay with? What motivates them as a collective?"

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-05, 12:06 PM
Gavin's men set about the trees with their axes, felling a few sturdy ones and beginning the process of making crude rafts. They watch the exchange happening between the heroes and the self proclaimed native with some interest, and a few of them keep their weapons nearby, just in case things turn bad.

After listening for a few moments one of the men clears his throat to get Rhola's attention, "M'lady, should we send word back to Gavin to begin bringing supplies across?"

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 12:33 PM
RHOLA

She turns her attention to Hazard "You, native, tell me about these Ravenheads. Are they a threat to the people of the ship? How do they organize their society? Do they have a leader we can parlay with? What motivates them as a collective?"

Relieved, Hazard continues his explanation to the formidable horned lady.

They are a threat, Ladyrholaofhouserhybri, but a manageable one. They are mainly carrion eaters, but the danger is that they will prey on the weak and injured among you for food. Fortunately they are superstitious and fear what they do not understand. I have kept them at bay for years by weaving decorative ornaments in the style of my lost people, and hanging them around the place where I am taking shelter. You see, they cannot understand how sticks, bark and twine can take a different shape from how they grow on the tree, and this worries them.

Still, this trick does not work all the time, especially if they are particularly hungry. You would do well to post night watchmen, concentrated especially around the weak.

As for society, leaders and parley, they are little more than wild animals. You might as well try to parley with a pack of orcas.

Echobeats
2014-08-05, 12:34 PM
[roll0]spacespace

Inevitability
2014-08-05, 02:50 PM
The drake, glad the people stopped arguing, flies towards the soldier who adressed lady Rhola.

"I'll be doing that. If one of you were to get to the ship, we would lose many people here in order to get the boat over. I can fly back more quickly and do not require anyone else."

Wanting to get the message over as quickly as possible, Aeneth already starts flying towards the ship. Once arrived, she starts searching for Gavin.

"We successfully landed on the beach, sir Gavin! There's a native there who will help us, but for now, we should start getting people over. Would you like me to report anything back to the people on the shore?"

I just realized I can probably carry a small child to the other side. My carrying capacity (while still being able to fly) is 80 pounds. I can put all my stuff in my bag of holding (1 pound), leaving me the ability to carry a child weighing 79 pounds before I can't fly anymore.

I wonder what that would look like...

Felhammer
2014-08-05, 04:34 PM
RHOLA

The knight nods to the ship-man, "Indeed. Head back. Bring able bodied men and women in the first group. For all subsequent voyages, start mixing supplies and people, preferably children and the old first."

Turning her attention back to Hazard she says, "Interesting. They sound like the barbarous goblins that plagued my homeland. They are weak willed and superstitious, thus easily dealt with. Tell me, native, are there any poisonous plants or animals we newcomers should avoid?"

Echobeats
2014-08-06, 01:49 PM
Hazard thinks quickly. Sure. Avoid bloodsprouts, bitterroots and stingthorns. It's hard to describe them exactly, but I'll point them out first chance I get. Though I should say, he adds, looking at Rhola's red skin, horns and tail, that I can't be confident that what's poisonous to me is the same as what's poisonous to you.

[roll0]

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 02:12 PM
RHOLA

The knight nods, "Your help is greatly appreciated, native."

Echobeats
2014-08-06, 02:24 PM
Phew, that was close!, thinks Hazard to himself.

Out loud, he says, Where do you intend your people to take shelter tonight? I can bring you some of my woven ornaments to hang up nearby. There will not be enough for such a large group, but they will go some way towards keeping the Ravenheads away.

He pauses, and tries to look bashful. The only thing is, Ladyrholaofhouserhybri, I feel afraid to sleep without my ornaments hanging around me. If I give you all I have, may I take shelter among your people?

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 02:28 PM
RHOLA

"We should find a defensible position, preferably with a wall on three sides. Know of any locations like that, Hazard? If not, then we will have to make camp on the beach and keep large numbers of guards awake during the night." She looks over at the forest, "Tell me, native, which trees are best for making torches?"

Echobeats
2014-08-06, 02:59 PM
None nearby. I fear you will have to post night watchmen, though perhaps you will not need very many as long as the others sleep with their weapons beside them. This is for you to judge, of course. I recommend you light no torches and cover your fires, however, to avoid attracting unwanted attention.

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 03:27 PM
RHOLA

The knight raises an inquisitive eyebrow, "Can you see in the dark?"

Echobeats
2014-08-07, 02:26 AM
Well, not total darkness, but as long as there's some light... Why, can't you?

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 02:45 AM
RHOLA

"Interesting. We can see well enough in dim light as well." Rhola just starts listing off questions that have come to mind, Do stars exist on this world? About how long is a day? Do you experience winter here? How hot does it get in the summer? Are storms common? Are there other races on the island? Are there any ruins we could take shelter in? What manner of deities are worshiped here? Are there species of plants we could cultivate on the island?" Her eyes narrow as she gazes intently at Hazard, "Oh and how are you able to speak our language?"

Echobeats
2014-08-07, 02:54 AM
What do you mean? I'm speaking my language. I was going to ask how you learned it before you even got here.

I understand you must have a lot of questions, but I'm afraid my throat is getting rather tired. Hazard affects a croak, which comes out a little more raven-like than he intended. As I said, I haven't had anyone to talk to in years. Do you mind if we carry on later?

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 03:01 AM
RHOLA

The tiefling flares her nostrils but acquiesces. After a fashion, Rhola takes Ben aside, far away from Hazard, and whispers, "What do you think of our new friend? He seems to be positively dripping with very well thought out half-truths. I do not know what it is but... I cannot get the nagging feeling from the back of my head that we should not trust him... At least not until we deduce what exactly he is lying about.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-07, 07:12 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben nods. "He's definitely lying about something. I'm not sure what, but I would be cautious about taking any of his advice, about dangerous plants or these Ravenheads he's so concerned about. I wish to meet them for myself before I conclude they're the savages he makes them out to be."

Felhammer
2014-08-07, 01:39 PM
RHOLA

Continuing to whisper to Ben, Rhola says, "Indeed, they may not be the threat he claims them to be. We should investigate on the morrow. We are going to be sharing camp with him tonight... Needless to say, one of us should always be awake to keep an eye on our new friend..."

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-07, 04:26 PM
Ben Stonehold

"Agreed,"" Ben whispers. " I'll take the first watch. I don't think we should ask Aeneth to take a turn. Even if she's not cooperating with him, she's entirely too trusting." It was going to be a long night.

Echobeats
2014-08-07, 05:01 PM
Hazard sees Lady Rhola and the serious-looking man with the axe whispering to each other, and wonders what they are talking about. He strolls casually past the treeline until out of anyone's direct sight, then takes on bird form and flies up, above the canopy and down towards the two comrades. Looking as nonchalant as possible, he pretends to be looking in the sand for molluscs to eat while straining his avian ears to hear the conversation.

To eavesdrop on the conversation between Rhola and Ben.
Guessing odd for a +5 bonus.
[roll0]

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-08, 07:54 PM
Most of Gavin's men continue constructing rafts while two climb back into the boat and return to the wreck to inform the quartermaster of the situation. Not long after the boat returns with a fresh load of armed men, along with Gavin himself. Right behind comes the second boat, also loaded with refugees. With the beach landing established and several men working to construct rafts, the unloading process begins in full. It takes a couple of hours to complete the rafts, and soon there are four roughly constructed log skiffs ferrying people and supplies alongside the two life boats.

It takes the rest of the day to move all four hundred and thirteen survivors from the wreckage to the beach, along with the remaining supplies. A rough camp is built on the shore, far enough up the sands that it wont be touched by the water, but also far enough from the treeline so people can see anything that might emerge before it reaches the camp. During the course of the day, those aboard the wrecked Bastion manage to scavenge up a few additional supplies, and Gavin estimated the refugees had enough to last two weeks if they rationed it carefully.

The sun had set by the time the work was completed and the camp was filled with refugees, all of them milling about, mumbling in hushed, worried tones as men, women and children tried to come to grips with their new situation. Makeshift tents were constructed from a variety of scavenged materials, mostly broken wood and scraps of sail from the Bastion. Fires are built in pits dug into the sand, and Gavin oversees a dozen men and women who are busy cooking a meager meal from the supplies.

It is during this period, as the refugee camp settles in for their first uneasy night in a new world, that something catches Ben's attention...

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-08, 08:00 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben frowns at the sight, and then goes to get Hazard. He'd been keeping an eye on him since they started settling down.

"Hazard," he says. "These Ravenheads. How big are they? And do they have tails?"

Echobeats
2014-08-09, 09:46 AM
Hazard was just tying the last wicker ornament to a stake on the perimeter the camp. On being addressed, he turned his head towards the man and he finished off the knot. Huh? Oh, man-sized, no tails. Why, did you see something?

You never told me your name, by the way. I feel as though we got off to a bad start. I'm Hazard.

Worried by the man's question, Hazard glances towards the trees.

1d20+6; low-light vision.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-09, 10:19 AM
Ben Stonehold

"My name is Ben," the paladin says. "And I'll trust you more once you start telling the truth. Those things were not Ravenheads. What else lives on this island?"

He peers toward the ship, trying to make out more. "Whatever the truth is, we should get Aeneth and Rhola."

[roll0]

Inevitability
2014-08-10, 12:30 AM
After delivering her message, Aeneth spent most of the day flying around in the camp, calming people down and telling them that there was a beautiful island they could live.

However, with more and more people travelling to the shore, Aeneth decided she'd better go there to. In the light of the setting sun, a small dragon-like shape flies towards the shore.

Feeling a bit lonely, and also tired, the small drake decides to look for Hazard. Having found her, she happily flies up to him and batters him with questions:

"Hey Hazard! How are you? What are you doing? Oh, and why is that mean paladin with you?"

Felhammer
2014-08-10, 01:27 AM
RHOLA

The Knight watches on from the side, eager to see others debate with this 'Hazard' and see what they can glean from their discussions with him.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-10, 08:58 AM
Hazard can see nothing out of the ordinary near the treeline.

Seeing the group talking, Gavin walks over, "Is something wrong?"

From out in the cove the sound of something pounding against the wood of the wrecked Bastion can be heard.

Felhammer
2014-08-10, 12:08 PM
RHOLA

The Tiefling swings her head around to look at the ship.

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-10, 12:20 PM
Ben Stonehold

At the sounds from the ship, Ben rounds on Hazard. "Tell me, native, what else lives on this island? What haven't you told us about? You had everyone in the panic over the Ravenheads, but you didn't say anything about the creatures that are now taking apart our ship!" Ben shouts.

Echobeats
2014-08-10, 01:03 PM
"My name is Ben," the paladin says. "And I'll trust you more once you start telling the truth. Those things were not Ravenheads. What else lives on this island?"

Hazard turns towards Ben, worried that he hadn't seen anything in the trees to explain the Paladin's concern. Well, for a start there are...

"Hey Hazard! How are you? What are you doing? Oh, and why is that mean paladin with you?"

...Oh, hello Æneth. Nice to see you again. I was just hanging up my protective ornaments. Ben here thinks he saw...

From out in the cove the sound of something pounding against the wood of the wrecked Bastion can be heard.

Hazard whips his head around and looks out to sea. Holy... I mean, er, there's a few things that could be, but I'm not sure I can tell from here. Is anything important still on your ship?

[roll0]
To see what is attacking the ship.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-10, 01:26 PM
Neither Rhola nor Hazard can make out what is pounding at the ship. By now the whole camp has heard the noise and are beginning to stir. A panicked muttering ripples through the refugees and Gavin looks from the waters of the cove to the heroes, "What is it? What is happening? Should I rouse the men?"

Felhammer
2014-08-10, 02:30 PM
RHOLA

She looks to Gavin, then back to the ship, "Rouse them. NOW!"

Echobeats
2014-08-10, 02:36 PM
Looks like your men are pretty much roused already, Hazard says, straining to see the water around the ship. Send someone to make sure nobody's within two perches of the water's edge.

Er, sorry, that's about six times my height. Sorry, I don't know what kind of measurements you use on your world.

Holy smoke, look at that!

[roll0]
To create enough of a diversion to turn into a raven and fly off without anyone noticing. If successful I will head up and then towards the ship at full speed.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-10, 02:53 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben turns away from Hazard in disgust. "Why do I even bother? It's clear that he doesn't know anything useful." He turns to Rhola instead. "I couldn't see them too well, but they were small, with short tails, about ten of them. They might be kobolds, or something similar. If I had to guess, I'd say they're scavenging the ship. Do we fight them? If there's nothing valuable left aboard, it might not be worth fighting them for it, but it doesn't sit well with me to just let them take it."

Inevitability
2014-08-11, 12:53 AM
"What do you mean look... Huh. Where did Hazard go?"

Aeneth looks around with a scared look on her face. All the while, the ship was still being... attacked? destroyed? by those strange beings. Knowing what she had to do, Aeneth took off.

"I'll take a look. I can be very stealthy if I have to. Don't worry, lady Rhola, I'll be back soon."

Curious but also pretty nervous, the small drake flies towards the ship at top speed. However, once close to the island, the mysterious sounds and strange shadows did seem pretty intimidating. Aeneth decided to wait for a bit, about twenty feet away from the island ten feet above the water.

Felhammer
2014-08-12, 12:28 AM
RHOLA

The tiefling looks to Ben, "Indeed. Obviously he is hiding in fear. Why else would he disappear like that? Unless he is working with these... Ravenheads. You say they are like kobolds? I have dealt with a few of those in my day. We need to be careful, the lives of the survivors depend upon our survival." She looks up to Aeneth , "Yes, go forth and scout. Be stealthy and do not get caught. We need you alive more than anything else. Ben and I will marshal the forces we have here in preparation for an attack. Go, quickly friend." Rhola will then go around to the members of the camp, waking them up and help the troops don their armor.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-12, 07:42 AM
Gavin nods at the tiefling's orders and quickly goes about rousing the men and women who can fight from their dinners and getting them armed. In a few short minutes roughly one hundred people with weapons are waiting on the shore of the cove, straining to see what is happening out at the wrecked ship. Gavin has armed himself is a mighty hammer and waits at the lead of the common men, waiting for orders from the heroes.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-12, 07:51 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben looks up as the raven passes overhead. He nods in that direction and days to Rhola, "More trouble? I can't help but think that's connected to the Ravenheads somehow. " Ben turns to Gavin. "Have some of your people get a boat ready. We may need to go out there."

Echobeats
2014-08-12, 01:56 PM
Hazard sees his chance. Not how I was expecting to do this, he thinks to himself, but you take what you can get. He lands on the ship, somewhere Æneth can't see him, and changes into hybrid form: a man with the head of a raven. Quickly he stashes his robe and strides out into full view, wearing only his undergarments, yelling gibberish at the creatures surrounding the ship as though he were their leader trying to encourage them in a savage language.

At the same time, as subtly as he can, he looks around for anything left that is worth salvaging. Might as well try and kill two birds with one stone. Hehe, aren't I punny!

[roll0]

Inevitability
2014-08-13, 01:18 AM
The drake, flying around the wreckage, is intrigued by the otter-men. They do not seem angry, but rather concerned about the ship. No matter what, Aeneth realizes with sadness she can't really do anything to help them.

As the raven-headed being emerges, Aeneth gasps. That must be one of those Ravenheads Hazard spoke about! And if the Ravenheads are allied with the Otter-men, then that meant they couldn't trust any,

Having gathered enough information, Aeneth quickly flies back. What she has learnt ought to be appreciated at the camp back on the shore.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-13, 08:03 AM
The small collection of otter-like people, each no more than two or three feet tall, appear to be all female. At the appearance of the raven-headed Hazard, the otter people scream in terror and dive beneath the water, swimming several feet away from the wrecked ship. When they surface, they stares in confusion and fear at the creature ranting on the ship, keeping their distance but obviously anxious to continue whatever they were trying to do.

Hazard sees nothing of value left on the wrecked Bastion

On shore Ben and Rhola, along with the gathered refugees hear a chorus of feminine screams and the pounding stops

Echobeats
2014-08-13, 09:26 AM
His work done, Hazard ducks out of sight of the otter-people, quickly dons his robe, and changes back into raven form. He flies around the ship observing the strange creatures. It looks as though they were trying to move the ship rather than damage it – perhaps it had landed on their home? Folding his wings, he drops beak-first into the water for a closer look.

Perception:
[roll0] – 20 thanks to Beginner's Luck (finally!)
I plan to fly all around the ship just above the water, dipping down every few feet or so to see what is underwater while avoiding the need to actually swim.

Felhammer
2014-08-13, 12:00 PM
RHOLA

Rhola looks off at the ship and says, "That sounds like trouble."

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-13, 12:11 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben curses when he hears the screams. "Let's get out there now. Aeneth can find us on our way." He climbs into one of the rowboats, calling for help to launch it and get it over to the ship.

Inevitability
2014-08-14, 12:06 AM
Aeneth, having flown at top speed, quickly flies for the shore. Suddenly, she sees a rowboat depart and instinctively goes for it. Having arrived, the small dragon quickly says:

"Everyone watch out watch out there are otter-women who are moving the boat and there's a ravenhead, yes a ravenhead and he scared the otter-women and I think we have to help him if hazard's right the ravenheads are bad so that would mean the otter-women are good but then why are they moving our ship I don't..."

Noticing that she fell back in her habit of saying too much in too little time, Aeneth stops talking. She then repeats the story to Rhola and Ben, less hasty this time.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-14, 05:20 AM
Gavin along with seven other armed men and women climb into the boat along with Ben and Rhola as they push the craft away from the beach. Two of the men take up to oars and begin rowing toward the wreck of the Bastion where it rests on the reef wall. It takes several minutes before they get close enough to clearly see the wreck in the evening gloom. The broken ship looks just as they left it, but floating in the water not far from the wreck is a cluster of ten creatures. They appear to be humanoid otters between two and three feet tall, and they all seem to be females in primitive clothes and holding simple, primitive tools. They are gazing at the wreck in confusion and fear when the boat approaches, but upon seeing the craft full of people they swim several feet away, obvious fear in their expressions.

Hazard's exploration around the wreck turns up little above the surface. However, when he dives beneath the waves at the stern of the ship, on the open ocean side of the reef, he notices an opening in the reef wall beneath the ship where a second group of the otter people seem to be gathered in an air pocket under the ship. It looks like they are trying to get past the wreck and into the cove, and from what Hazard can see, there are approximately twenty of them, and they all seem to be male. When he circles to the bow of the ship and dives under, he can see the opening in the reef wall that seems to allow entrance to the cove has been blocked by the wreckage of the Bastion.

Echobeats
2014-08-14, 07:53 AM
His suspicions apparently confirmed, Hazard racks his brain for anything he can do to help the otter-like people. Eventually he concludes none of his abilities will do any good. He is about to go back for help from the men on shore when he sees a boat setting out. Good, they're coming. I'm sure they'll work it out for themselves. No need to jeopardise my little project.

He makes for a discreet location on shore, shakes his feathers dry, and changes back to human form. Then he looks around for Aeneth.

Oh, hello Æneth, he says on finding her, I was just off checking for Ravenheads. I thought the noise out at sea might be a distraction. I think I did see one, but it wasn't heading in the direction of our camp. Has anyone been to see what's going on at the ship?

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-14, 08:40 PM
Ben Stonehold

Watching the otterfolk, Ben rises from his seat on the boat to face them. He raisses his hands, showing that they're empty, while he leaves his weapons sheathed. His armor is still in the shape of sturdy clothes and his shield is strapped to his back, so he's about as harmless as he knows how to be. "Greetings!" he calls to the small creatures. "Do you speak Common?"

If there's no response, he calls the same greeting in Dwarven.

Inevitability
2014-08-15, 12:39 AM
Seeing that Ben is using a couple of languages, Aeneth calls out to them in the languages she knows; common, elven and draconic.

"Hello, oh Otter-People! I am Aeneth, and these are my friends! Do not fear, we wish no harm to you!"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Felhammer
2014-08-15, 01:09 AM
RHOLA

Rhola follows suit in the tongue of goblins, "Hail and well met! I am Lady Rhola!"

Echobeats
2014-08-15, 07:07 AM
Failing to find Aeneth, Ben or Rhola, Hazard asks the nearest refugee which way they went.

Damn, I've missed the boat. And I can't fly back out; they'll see me. I suppose I should follow them, but it'll have to be the hard way.

Hazard grabs the closest raft and starts paddling.

I'm guessing this would be Athletics?
[roll0]
Well crap. I expect even a 9 is no use?

Echobeats
2014-08-15, 07:12 AM
I am really not cut out for this, thinks Hazard after several minutes of struggling to get anywhere on the raft. He goes back ashore and looks for someone muscular and not immediately busy?

Could you please help me get out to the ship? I think my help might be needed.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-16, 12:54 PM
The otter women stare at the group in the boat as they are asked the same question in several different languages. They seem confused and scared until Aeneth speaks. At the elven language the otter women seem to understand. But when the question is repeated in draconic there is a chorus of gasps and muttering from the gathering. They huddle together and begin to speak to one another, and Aeneth can make out that they are speaking an ancient dialect of elven

"It is little sky god," one says. "Too small, not right color," another comments skeptically. A third chimes in, "But it speak sky god language." "Maybe it come to help young gods?" another queries.

After several moments of discussion the otter women turn back to the group and one that seems older than the rest swims a bit closer and speaks to Aeneth directly in their strange form of elven

"Welcome in peace sky god. We ask, why you seal off great water? Hunters now trapped. Many families split," she gestures toward the wreck of the Bastion.

Back on shore Hazard is unable to convince any of the armed men or women to assist him on the raft, however he is approached by a young man in the simple clothes of an apprentice, "Sir? Perhaps I can help," he offers. a quick look at the boy reveals he carries a small, sealed book from a thin chain attached to his belt, and Hazard reasons he is, or at least once was, an apprentice wizard. Given he seems to be alone now, it is likely his master did not make it on board the Bastion.

If allowed to, the young man climbs onto the raft and takes up the oars. He turns out to be surprisingly good at the task and soon the raft is nearing the boat where the others are talking with the otter people. As they approach, the otter women move further away.

Echobeats
2014-08-16, 02:40 PM
Thank you young man, Hazard says as they set out on the raft. I'd like to catch up with the other boat ahead of us, if we can.

As soon as he is within shouting distance of the rowboat where Ben, Rhola and Aeneth are, Hazard shouts, Ahoy there, me hearties! He giggles to himself. Then, as they draw up alongside, he says, Phew, finally caught up with you. I was just checking for Ravenheads on shore. I thought the noise at the ship might be some sort of distraction. I did see one, but thankfully it wasn't heading towards our camp.

He looks around. I see you've met the otterfolk, then? Nervous lot, aren't they? Any idea what they're up to?

Inevitability
2014-08-17, 12:45 AM
Aeneth slowly flies towards the otter-folk, making a gesture with her tail to signal that they have to stay behind. She then, carefully and nervously, speaks, trying to imitate the dialect as well as she can:

"Er... Greetings, otter-people. I am Aeneth, and I am afraid I don't really understand. Are you saying there are other otter-people below the ship? I will help you in moving it, or actually I should say my servants will."

A plan began to form in Aeneth's mind. No matter how caring and helpful she was, she was still a dragon. And which dragon didn't like being worshipped as a god?

Turning to her companions, Aeneth quickly explained the situation.

"The otter-people aren't dangerous or anything. They seem to want to move the ship. A few of their kind are trapped below. I have promised them we'll try to help the-"

The sudden shouting from the sea startles the dragon, who flies a few feet back. Normally, she'd be happy to see hazard, but now he is coming in a bit of a bad moment. Still, as the human arrived, she answered his questions.

"They are not angry, just scared. The wreckage has trapped some of their tribesmen and they are trying to move it. And for some reason they don't like people talking in draconic, but they can speak elven. Can you speak elven, Hazard?"

Echobeats
2014-08-17, 02:21 PM
Elvan? Sorry, I don't know what that is. I can't speak Otterfolk either, if that's what you mean. How unfortunate that your ship has trapped their people. Do you have any ideas for moving it?

Felhammer
2014-08-17, 03:39 PM
RHOLA

Tell them that we will help them as best we can, once we ensure our people are safe from the Ravenheads."

Inevitability
2014-08-18, 01:42 AM
Aeneth couldn't surpress a giggle as she turned to the otter-woman a second time.

"Otter-people! Do not worry, for the vessel will be removed. However, there are a lot of people on the shore over there, and I also have to protect those.

Savage creatures, called Ravenheads, roam the forests over there. We have to know a way to protect ourselves from them, but when we have done we will come to help."

Aeneth then pondered on how to move the ship. Maybe they could destroy it? But how?

Suddenly, she remembered something from her youth. A rockslide had sealed off a cave with a couple of people trapped inside, and Yr had just cast a spell, reducing the boulders to dust and rubble. If only they had a few people who could use magic here...

"Does any of you can use magic? I think we may be able to destroy the vessel with it. That way the otterfolk can reach their family again."

Felhammer
2014-08-19, 02:08 AM
RHOLA

The tiefling shakes her head, "I am only proficient with staves, armor and other kinds of martial tools. Was anyone aboard our ship a wizard?"

Echobeats
2014-08-19, 02:15 AM
Hazard looks expectantly at his ferryman.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-19, 07:55 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben clears his throat. "I could call on the power of Moradin," he says. "But I don't know whether he could hear me here."

Name of Might attacks Fortitude and does thunder damage, but like all divine powers, it probably won't work.

Inevitability
2014-08-20, 03:17 PM
Aeneth said nothing, but gave an encouraging sign to Ben. To the otterfolk, she signaled to stay away from the wreckage, trying to look like she's got everything under control.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-20, 05:02 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben stands up in the boat, balancing carefully as it rocks. Lifting his holy symbol, he calls out in a loud voice, "Moradin al-Tenek!"

And nothing happens. Frowning, Ben tries again, this time in common: "By the power of Moradin!"

And again nothing happens.

Ben growls. "It's not working. Moradin can't hear me . . . or maybe, he's known by another name here, and I need to use that name." He turns to Hazard. "Native. What do you call the god of the earth here? The one the dwarves worship . . . do you have dwarves here?"

Echobeats
2014-08-20, 05:07 PM
Dwa... what? Sorry, I don't know what you mean. No offence, but if your god has more than one name, shouldn't he know them all?

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-20, 05:22 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben shrugs uncomfortably. He had never been an expert on theology, and only understood the basics. "I don't know why, but I understand that most gods only respond when called by the names they've instructed their followers to use, and that can vary by culture. This is a different world, so he may have a different name here." He shakes his head. "As for dwarves, they're a short folk, about this high"--he holds a hand at chest height--"but strong and stocky. They're good with metal and stone. Perhaps you know them by another name here. In their language--the language on our world, but since Aeneth can talk to these folk, I suspect there are similarities--they're called Genrin. People of the Stone. Still don't recognize them?"

He frowns at Hazard. The man had yet to give them any useful information on this world. He sighs. "Aeneth, can you ask the Otterfolk if they know the name of the god of the earth?"

Felhammer
2014-08-20, 10:07 PM
RHOLA

The knight frowns at the native, "Why must you be so difficult?"

Inevitability
2014-08-21, 12:58 AM
Aeneth leaves the (demi)humans to be and flies back to the Otterfolk.

"Good Otterfolk, know that even as we speak plans are being made to free your family. One of my servants thinks he can destroy the ship, but for that he needs one bit of information."

Aeneth took a deep breath. She didn't know why, but maybe the Otterfolk wouldn't like the mention of gods.

"Do you know anything about a god of the earth, mountains and creation?"

Echobeats
2014-08-21, 07:01 AM
Hazard shakes his head at Ben. Sorry, I don't know any creatures that sound like that.

RHOLA

The knight frowns at the native, "Why must you be so difficult?"

Hazard ignores the unjustified remark. He considers replying that it isn't his fault these dwarve creatures don't exist here, but says nothing for the time being.

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-21, 09:40 AM
The otter-folk listen to Aeneth as she speaks, and they seem to cheer greatly when she claims that her 'servants' will do what they can to move the ship and allow their men to enter the cove. however, when she goes on to ask about Ravenheads, there is obvious confusion from the women. They look to one another and mutter, finally looking to the matriarch who speaks to Aeneth:

"We sorry sky god. We no know Ravenhead. No creatures on island like this. Maybe you speak of Greenfang tribe. But they not bird. They live in great swamp,"

she points off toward the jungle.

"You help hunters of the Riverstone Tribe. Riverstone tirbe help you, show you people good camp."

When talk turns to ways of moving or destroying the ship, and Hazard looks to his young companion on the raft, the boy looks sheepish, "I...know a few spells," he admits, "But my master always said I was too...dense for magic...I'm not very skilled," he admits with a blush.

When Ben attempts to summon the power of Moradin, he can feel the tingle of power in his blood, but can not tap into it. It is clear the god can not hear his prayer.

When Aeneth asks the otter-folk if they know of the earth god, the Matriarch seems confused for a moment before responding:

"Earth god? Do you not know your kin sky god?" this seems to disturb her a bit but she answers, "Earth god is called Raxuan."

Inevitability
2014-08-21, 11:28 AM
Confused about the Otterfolk's answers, Aeneth takes a moment in thought before replying.

"You don't know the Ravenheads? But there was one walking around here only a short time ago! Do you have another word for them?

And of course I know that my kin is that of the sky gods. However, one of my companions has connections to the earth god. It may be strange, but where I am from, the land beyond the skies, it is common."

Speaking the last words, Aeneth gestures towards the skies, even flying up a bit before landing again.

Giving the creatures time to reply, the drake turns towards her friends.

"I don't get it. They say they have never heard of the Ravenheads before. I figure their language must have another word for it.

They also say they'll help us when we help them. Apparently some good spots for a camp are known to them.

And Mr. Paladin, try the name 'Raxuan'. Apparently that is their earth god's name."

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-21, 11:44 AM
Ben Stonehold

"Raxuan?" Ben says, wondering whether it is another name for Moradin, or the name of another god entirely. Well, if it works, then he would have to assume that Moradin and Raxuan are one and the same.

"Very well, I'll try it." Ben stands up, takes hold of his medallion, and again speaks in a loud voice: "Raxuan al-Tenek!"

If it works, use Name of Might:

[roll0]
[roll1]

The spell is close blast 3. I'm not sure how that applies to attacking a large ship--perhaps the damage can go to numerous pieces of the ship?

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-23, 11:54 AM
The otterfolk look to each other before the matriarch answers:

"You speak of monster? We have never seen such a thing before. We assume it your doing sky god,"

When Ben invokes the name of Raxuan in his prayer, he feels the divine might flow through him and a familiar connection. Its clear to him immediately that this is the power of Moradin, though he may be called by a different name on this world. However, the effects of his prayer on the ship are not as grand as he may have wished, and it does little to dislodge the wreckage. At the same time, it goes a long way in impressing the otterfolk, who dive beneath the water at the sight and sound of the power, surfacing a little further away and staring at Ben in awe.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-23, 12:05 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben grins. "Well, that wasn't as effective as I would have liked, but the good news is that now that I know the name of Raxuan, I know that my prayers will be heard." Ben shrugs. "It's still going to take some work to break up the ship, but I figure my axe will be almost as effective at chopping wood."

Ben has the sailors row him over to the ship and climbs on board. Drawing his axe, he begins chopping at the weak points, trying to hasten the ship's coming apart. He encourages the others to start helping him.

Any thoughts on what sort of roll I should make for breaking up the ship?

Inevitability
2014-08-23, 02:41 PM
Aeneth is taken aback by this new information. Confused, and maybe slightly suspicious, she turns to the Otterfolk. However, as she sees they are more focused on the ship now, she instead flies over to assist ben, rallying the Otterfolk to come with her.

"Follow me, Otterfolk! I and my servants shall destroy the ship!"

Before starting to work on studying the ship and relying information on it's structure to Ben, Aeneth casts one last look at Hazard. In it both fear, doubt and mistrust can be seen.

Knowledge checks to find out as much about the ship's weak spots as possible. This information will then be told to both Ben and any of the Otterfolk who help me.

Arcana: [roll0]
Dungeoneering: [roll1]
History: [roll2]

I also use Commander's Strike and Direct the Strike when possible to grant Ben (and possible other people who assist in destroying the ship) more attacks.

Echobeats
2014-08-24, 05:11 AM
I'd like to help. Anyone have an axe I can borrow?

The_GrinningMan
2014-08-25, 10:33 PM
Working with the Otterfolk it takes several hours of hacking at the ship before enough of it has been broken to make a difference. It is past midnight when the wreckage begins to groan and creak ominously, and must be hastily abandoned before the remains crack and tumble from the reef into the ocean, swiftly sinking below the waves.

A few moments after the wreck sinks, over a dozen otterfolk men begin to surface from beneath the water where the ship had been sitting. Most carry stone tipped spears or nets filled with what appear to be clams and fish. The women quickly rush to greet the hunters, and the air is filled with their excited chatter as the women explain who the heroes are and how they helped to rescue them hunters. After several minutes of reunion, one of the men, an older otterfolk with a scar covering his left eye, swims toward the group and speaks:

"New friends have many thanks. We return to tribe now. When great light returns, we come to your tribe. Lead you to safe place. Make new home there,"

The elder hunter then motions to a pair of the other men, who swim forward and offer the group two of their nets filled with fish as gifts.

Inevitability
2014-08-26, 01:50 AM
Aeneth can't believe they did it! Flying away from the crashing ship as it falls, the small drake can't help but feel a bit sad. No matter how small, stuffed or smelly it sometimes was, it still was the vessel that had carried them for months.

Focusing on the Otterfolk, Aeneth flies towards them to greet the hunters.

"I greet you, hunters of the Otterfolk! I, Aeneth the Sky God, accept your offer! I will be waiting when you return to my tribe."

Aeneth then turns to Ben and Rhola.

"They'll come to help us in the morning. For now, let's get those fish and return to the camp.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-26, 07:43 AM
Ben Stonehold

Ben's first instinct is to turn down the gift. They gave him the name of his god; what more could he ask for? But looking around, he recalls the desperate straits they're in. He's no longer a questing paladin who's spare change is worth more than the whole village whose people are offering their gifts. Instead he says, "Thank them for us. Their help is much appreciated." He then helps haul in the net, and afterwards gets the boat turned around and rowing for shore.

Inevitability
2014-08-27, 08:18 AM
Back at the camp, Aeneth tries to catch a few more hours of sleep before dawn. The moment she wakes up, the small dragon first checks her prized collection of shiny objects before flying towards the beach. There, she looks out for signs of the Otterfolk.

DSCrankshaw
2014-08-27, 08:28 AM
Ben Stonehold

Once they return to camp, Ben's eager to get some rest. The hard labor of the last few hours have left him exhausted. But first he needs to check in with Rhola, and make sure one of them is watching Hazard.

When he talks to Rhola, he takes her aside and tells her quietly, "I saw Hazard slip off when he thought we weren't looking. Shortly afterward, there was a raven heading out to the boat, coming right from where he was hidden. I can't be certain of the timing, but that may have been right before Aeneth saw the Ravenhead. I'm beginning to suspect that this Hazard is working with them. We should be careful."

The_GrinningMan
2014-09-03, 01:46 AM
The night passes in restless silence, as none of the refugees feel comfortable enough for deep sleep. The guards set to watch the perimeter of the camp are on edge, and there are a couple of brief false alarms when the more jittery ones think they see movement. Gavin is quick to remove these men from duty and replace them, keeping the guard rotation fairly constant and trying to give everyone time to rest.

By the time the sun rises two things have become clear to the group. the first being that none of the refugees will be able to settle into this new world until they feel safe, which means constructing some sort of real defenses around the camp. The second is that nights on this world seem to last longer than they did in the old world.

Not long after the morning meal has been prepared and distributed to the refugees, there is a call from one of the guards stationed near the jungle. A small group of otterfolk have emerged from the trees. In the lead are the elder hunter and the matriarch the group met the previous night, and they are followed by four additional hunters with long spears. they approach the camp, but stop when they see the dream catchers that Hazard hung around the camp the previous evening.

There are looks of surprise from the otterfolk, followed by anger. The elder hunter seems very upset when the group arrives to speak with them:

"What is meaning of this?!" he demands in the strange dialect of the otterfolk, "Why have you stolen markings of Riverstone tribe?! You try to claim our lands? Banish ancestor spirits?" It is clear there has been a major insult committed against the otterfolk tribe in the presence of the dream catchers.

Inevitability
2014-09-03, 10:41 AM
Aeneth quickly flies to the tribe, shocked and upset. In a quick voice, she tries to calm down the angry otterfolk.

"Please, oh Otterfolk, I assure you I did not put those markings there. I do know who did, though, but I am surprised he didn't..."

Aeneth suddenly stops talking. Could this be? It couldn't, could it? She could trust Hazard... or not? In either case, she had to talk to him.

Turning to a guard, the drake speaks:

"Sir, please get Hazard over here. He's got a few things to explain."

DSCrankshaw
2014-09-03, 10:44 AM
Ben Stonehold

"I'll get him," Ben says. He didn't know what was going on, but he was sure that Hazard was at the root of it. He would like to know the truth as well.

Ben strides through the camp, looking for Hazard. When he finds him, he grabs hold of an arm and doesn't let go. "Come on," he says, "you have some questions to answer."

Echobeats
2014-09-04, 04:40 PM
There's no need to be rough, protests Hazard, I'm happy to come with you.

The sorcerer racks his tired brain for a way to salvage this. He was up half the night trying to lay the foundations for a supposed Ravenhead presence on the island, but he's not sure the guards were sharp-eyed enough to see what he wanted them to.

DSCrankshaw
2014-09-04, 10:38 PM
Ben Stonehold

Ben marches Hazard over to where Aeneth and the Otterfolk are. "Here he is," he says. "Now, what are they saying?"

Inevitability
2014-09-05, 08:59 AM
Still calming down the Otterfolk, Aeneth finishes her excuses before turning to the paladin.

"Apparently, our 'Ravenhead Wards' are their territorial markings. Hazard, you placed them, didn't you? Then why are the Otterfolk angry at us?"

Echobeats
2014-09-07, 04:43 PM
What on...? Oh, I know what it must be. Look, I'm good enough with my hands, but I'm not especially creative. I got the design from them; they must be confusing my work with their own and thinking I've stolen it. Either that or they don't like someone copying their design.

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-09-07, 07:37 PM
Ben Stonehold

"I thought you said these decorative markings were in the style of your lost people? Now you're saying that you copied them from the Otterfolk? Are they even supposed to protect against Ravenheads? Aeneth, what did the Otterfolk say about the Ravenheads?"

OOC: I'd roll Insight, but I'm not sure that applies to catching a contradition:

Relieved, Hazard continues his explanation to the formidable horned lady.

They are a threat, Ladyrholaofhouserhybri, but a manageable one. They are mainly carrion eaters, but the danger is that they will prey on the weak and injured among you for food. Fortunately they are superstitious and fear what they do not understand. I have kept them at bay for years by weaving decorative ornaments in the style of my lost people, and hanging them around the place where I am taking shelter. You see, they cannot understand how sticks, bark and twine can take a different shape from how they grow on the tree, and this worries them.

Still, this trick does not work all the time, especially if they are particularly hungry. You would do well to post night watchmen, concentrated especially around the weak.

As for society, leaders and parley, they are little more than wild animals. You might as well try to parley with a pack of orcas.

Inevitability
2014-09-08, 12:09 PM
Aeneth glances quickly at the Otterfolk, then at Hazard. She did remember him saying something along those lines... Was he really lying? But why would he?

"The Otterfolk said they hadn't ever seen Ravenheads until yesterday night. I saw it too. They seemed to be scared of it, and called it a 'monster'. I don't think these markings are used by them for anything else than marking their territory."

Echobeats
2014-09-08, 12:52 PM
Hazard answers smoothly. I meant that my people used to weave decorations to keep Ravenheads away. I never learned our own designs very well, and now there are none of ours for me to copy, so I've been making ones that are similar to the Otterfolk's. That detail didn't seem relevant yesterday. While the Otterfolk may have a different idea about what the decorations are for, keeping away intruders and marking one's territory are pretty much the same thing, wouldn't you agree?

It's not a surprise if some of the younger Otterfolk haven't met Ravenheads before, he continued. They don't go near the open water very often. Obviously right now there's a lot for them to be curious about, though.

[roll0]

DSCrankshaw
2014-09-09, 11:38 AM
Ben Stonhehold

"That's a nice story," Ben says. "But I'd prefer to hear the truth. Right now you're risking alienating the only people we've met here aside from yourself, and they've provided us with food, while you've offered nothing but stories. Lie to us again, and as far as I'm concerned, chopping off your head to keep them happy would be a fair trade."

29 on Ben's insight check.

Inevitability
2014-09-09, 02:54 PM
Aeneth is visibly upset by Ben's words. While recent discoveries did make it seem a lot like Hazard made up some of his stories, killing him would be inhuman, wouldn't it?

"Let's all calm down here. Let's not forget that Hazard, whether he is speaking the truth or not, may still be a valueable ally. However, Hazard, you have to understand that we'll gladly protect you, but you'll have to speak the truth.

So, if you care for the hundreds of people for who an alliance with the Otterfolk might be their last hope, then answer truthfully. Where did you get those markings?"

Aeneth's whole being was focused on Hazard. The questions asked here, and the answers given to them, might determine their whole future here. If Hazard was speaking the truth, then why did a lot of things he said plainly contradict what the island showed?

Then again, if he was untruthful, Aeneth didn't want to think about what would happen to him. No matter how much he might have lied, he was still one of the few people she considered a friend right now.

Echobeats
2014-09-10, 08:22 AM
Hazard looks abashed. Alright, it's true. I didn't weave them myself; I found them hanging from trees beside the river, up that way. I was just so keen to impress you, arriving so loudly with your incredible flying boat... I let myself get carried away. Please don't hurt me?

Æneth, please convey my sincerest apologies to the Otterfolk and assure them I acted entirely on my own. I wouldn't want this to reflect badly on you and the other new arrivals.

See OOC thread for Diplomacy roll; I can't make it work properly over here.

Inevitability
2014-09-10, 09:43 AM
"Hazard, thanks for saying this. You do not know how much you might have helped us with this."

Quickly flying over to the Otterfolk, Aeneth explains the situation.

"Dear Otterfolk, to my greatest sadness have I discovered that those markings were, in fact, stolen from you. One of our men, who didn't know those markings were yours, took them. He is not a bad person, he simply made a mistake, like we all do sometimes. No punishment will be necessary.

I will gladly return the markings to you. Again, please forgive us."

The drake then waits for a response, slightly scared as to how this may turn out.

Diplomacy for generally calming them down. [roll0]
Bluff for covering up for Hazard. [roll1]

The_GrinningMan
2014-09-16, 06:04 AM
The otterfolk do not seem pleased with the explanation

"We take back what is ours," the elder hunter states

The elder hunter motions to the spear wielding otterfolk and they move around the camp collecting the dream catchers, showing great care and respect for the artifacts.

"Much trust has been lost little sky god," it is the matriarch who speaks now, "A great crime your servant has committed. All must be judged."

The matriarch points to each of the heroes

"You who speak for your tribe will stand before the sky gods and be judged. If you do not, Riverstone tribe will not help you, and if you enter our jungle, you will be hunted."

Inevitability
2014-09-16, 02:14 PM
Aeneth is slightly nervous as the Otterfolk speak. Being judged by the sky gods? Were they being brought to dragons? That wouldn't be bad, would it? Didn't Yr once tell her about there being two kinds of dragons? What kind would the ones they would have to go to be?

"Listen, everyone. We need to go with the Otterfolk if we want to get their trust. Apparently they'll let their dragon overlords judge us.

Hazard, you should come along for sure, as you know this island. Ben, could you come with us as protection from any beasts we may come across. Rhola should probably stay behind to watch over the people here."

DSCrankshaw
2014-09-16, 02:21 PM
Ben Stonehold

"Judged by the dragons? I don't see how we can be judged for Hazard's actions--he's not even one of us," Ben says. "But I'll go. If the dragons eat us, though, my last act will be to make sure they eat him first."

Echobeats
2014-09-24, 01:53 AM
Hazard ignores Ben and instead speaks to the drake. I will go with you, Æneth. Our friendship demands I make amends.