PDA

View Full Version : So, the second Oots board game!

Dolash
2007-03-02, 07:48 PM
So the Dungeons of Dorukan adventure game - a good time to be had, inspired by a chapter of Oots history that captured the spirit of those early days. Since the original dungeon delving, the Oots haven't really gone on any other crawls. What with their little sidequest for star metal, their arrest, the trial, the trip to Cliffport, the trip back, and everything else that's happened there hasn't been much settling down and adventuring lately, so there's nothing to base a second game on (if another one were released).

What with this siege looming, however, I've thought that perhaps this would make a fine boardgame sequel, perhaps a parody of wargames and the like? After seeing Hinjo's council of war with all the mineatures out, I can't help but think that a "Battle of Azure City" scenario or board game would be incredibly fun.

What say you lot? If the Giant ever produced a second board game, do you think the siege should be it? If so, what would you imagine in such a game?

Izodor
2007-03-03, 04:43 AM
I imagine such a game has miniatures which you can only buy from booster packs....

"Do you have the Elan miniature?"
"No but I do have the random NPC archer miniature...."

Roxysteve
2007-03-06, 02:22 PM
Personally, I would like it done as an SPI-style strategy simulation, but that is (of course) overdoing it for 99.9999999999999% of everyone else.

Maybe a card game instead?

Or a Risk variant? I'd buy a Risk variant themed on Zykon's army v World.

What I emphatically wouldn't buy is one of those lame two-team Monopoly variants based on OOTS. Well, I might, but I would always hate it and myself.

Steve.

RibbonViking
2007-03-06, 03:58 PM
I'm envisioning some hybrid between M:TG and Risk, involving a deck that you draw into your hand from, and then play magical effects and bits of army down in front of you onto a map, and which you can then move around and attack.

Korias
2007-03-17, 10:00 AM
It has promise. Their are many games which have forces like that.

See: The Warcraft Boardgame (not the WOW Version.) and Risk.
This idea has good promise.

tgva8889
2007-03-20, 07:44 AM
I'm envisioning some hybrid between M:TG and Risk, involving a deck that you draw into your hand from, and then play magical effects and bits of army down in front of you onto a map, and which you can then move around and attack.

I've been trying to make a game like that, except completely based on Magic: the Gathering alone for quite a long time. If that sort of game were made for OotS, then I would be ridiculously happy. And I'd have to get me one, as soon as possible. I'm still hoping to get a copy of the original game for my up-coming birthday.

donkyhotay
2007-03-20, 11:44 AM
That would be a good idea. You wouldn't want the second game to be similar to the first one otherwise it'd be nothing more then a really expensive expansion.

Uthrac
2007-03-22, 09:19 AM
A cooperative game would be good. Players vs. Xykon's army.

Esperflame
2007-04-01, 07:04 PM
I'd rather see a more Talisman style of gameplay. As you walk around the castle you fight monsters making your way to the Azure throne with a final showdown with Xykon to defend the throne from him. You get to draw loot and you kill monsters and get better gear/schticks. I miss Talisman, it was such a great boardgame but it's so hard to find anymore.

You could call it The Order of the Stick: The Siege of Azure City

aaron_the_cow
2007-04-01, 08:04 PM
I would think about bosters for the game (Palidin boster pack!!! 20 new monsters, miko as a new caricter, and 5 new rooms!!!!)

dragonglen
2007-04-02, 08:04 AM
I'd rather see a more Talisman style of gameplay. As you walk around the castle you fight monsters making your way to the Azure throne with a final showdown with Xykon to defend the throne from him. You get to draw loot and you kill monsters and get better gear/schticks. I miss Talisman, it was such a great boardgame but it's so hard to find anymore.

You could call it The Order of the Stick: The Siege of Azure City

I second this. Talisman was awesome. My buddy had it back in the day with two of the expansion packs. I looked to pick it up recently, and the regular game was around $250 or something like that on Ebay.

I would love to play a Talisman game based on OOTS. It would probably sell better than the current game (no offense Rich).

Tornek the Unhygenic
2007-04-02, 10:40 AM
You know, I've been developing a parody of war games on my own, called Risky. It's a parody of Risk and The Old Game Summit. So if this were to be made, I would be both happy and inspired to continue. :smallbiggrin:

OutlawJT
2007-04-28, 10:57 AM
Hmmmmm........

What about an OOTS board game modeled after Shadows Over Camelot? You have the 6 characters and they have to go around competing/completing various sidequests to 'gather evidence' to clear their names for their impending trial or some such other thing that requires them to beat a certain number of these challenges or they lose the game. You have a side quest for each of the mini arcs that took place between the Dungeon of Dorukan and the Siege of Azure City (which totally needs to be made into a strategy/mini's game spoof in addition to this idea).

For those not familiar with Shadows Over Camelot, go get it. Awesome board game so long as you have at least three players and play without a traitor. I also think the gameplay lends itself very well to all the sidequests the OOTS has undertaken since the Dungeon of Dorukan. Instead of 'Duel the Black Knight' there'd be 'Duel the mysterious Blue Cloaked warrior (Miko)'. Fight the Dragon would still be Fight the Dragon. Claim Excalibur would be Claim the Starmetal. Quest for the Holy Grail would become......ummmmm......not sure on this one..... Anyway, I think it fits perfectly.

Traveling_Angel
2007-04-28, 07:59 PM
Woah, Brainwave. Seems discussion of future games gets my creative juices flowing.

A possible way to handle the "siege" (it's a battle, not a protracted land blockade) is to have each player control an OOTS member and a battalion of Azure City soldiers, except one plays Xykon/Redcloak and the Hobgoblin army. Each battalion/army would be constructed in a fashion similar to table-top miniatures games, with each unit type costing a certain amount of points. Each unit type would be represented by cards, a la Dungeon of Dorukan. But instead of each card being removed, you instead have counters (the wound markers come to mind) that represent how many hobgoblins/paladins/soldiers/whatever are left. Obviously more soldiers is a combat advantage, but one counter would mean different things on each unit. It might be 20 Hobgoblins or a single paladin. And of course the characters can influence the battle, have a schtick system like the one we are familiar with. Some obvious ones would be Elan's "Song of Sorrow" and Belkar's "Mass Butchery."

Just my crazy ideas.

Sir Kobold
2007-05-28, 12:11 AM
I know this is pretty much what everyone else has been saying, but what about a D&D Minis/Warhammer parody? That would be cool. There would be 2groups, Xykon and Azure City, and it would be a turn-based war game.

Uthrac
2007-06-26, 12:57 PM
The first game followed the plot of the comic well . . . OotS dungeon-delves and "destroys" Xykon.

The problem I see with a Risk war-type game is, well, Xykon is supposed to "win" this war. So, if the object of the game is to successfully defend the city - - - it becomes inconsistent with the comic.

A more interesting mechanic would be an NPC Xykons army advancing/destroying more and more of the city, with victory points being given for kills and/or saving civilians. (Players play their OotS characters trying to kill as many targets as possible, while saving as many lives as possible.)

The game ends the same: City in Ruins.

donkyhotay
2007-06-27, 02:22 AM
all really cool ideas. Ultimately though we'll have to see what rich comes up with.

nerulean
2007-06-27, 01:42 PM
Whatever a new game might be like, I really hope it keeps the feeling of this one. I love the way each character plays differently and appropriately, and that the players set the tone of each game - whether it's cooperative, competitive or some mixture of the two. The humour and breaking of the fourth wall (Wacky Hijinks? A Good Laugh? Gold!) are excellent too. If the game keeps all of that, I'll be happy whatever it is, structurally speaking.

Raiser Blade
2007-06-28, 10:51 PM
I think it should be like WOW TCG Raid decks
Each OotS character would have his own deck versus the Boss deck

strategy
2007-07-10, 08:06 AM
It has already been "announced". (http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=23501)

irlpotato
2007-07-11, 08:13 AM
In fact, if you read the post from the webpage, i'd say its already nearing completion:

you should be aware that there are 4-5 existing projects that are mostly done (some of which would have been available for GenCon). These will still come out as intended, so you should expect to see some new book and board game announcements in the next few months

I guess we'll see how the release is affected by the new scheduling. I think I can speak for everyone when we say we'd prefer a happy healthy Giant and a delayed game than a game released at the cost of his health!

Lissou
2007-07-12, 08:10 AM
I'd like a game in which you can play Xykon and/or Redcloak. For the rest, I really don't care. And if you can't play either of them, it won't prevent me from buying it anyways.
But the sieage seems like good game material, you're right. I'm not sure what type of game would work the best and how easy to make it would be, though.

donkyhotay
2007-07-12, 02:55 PM
if you read closely you will see that announcement was just for the expansion. Not the second game.

DraxtonSmitz
2007-07-12, 09:37 PM
The Linear Guild set includes six new characters from the Linear Guild, plus 350 cards, and can be played stand-alone or combined as the players wish.

Fundamentals!