PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Summoner Challenge: Small non-utility eidolon

Spore
2014-07-25, 05:14 AM
Greetings playground,

I propose to you a challenge. I want you to create an small eidolon for combat purposes. Bonus points for viability on first level or ranged elemental attacks (Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!). Has anyone ever tried this?

Renen
2014-07-25, 06:08 AM
Tried? Probably? Was disappointed by results? Definitely!
If you want a all eidolon, either just pump DEX and do weapon finesse or use UMD.

prufock
2014-07-25, 07:17 AM
Hmmm, small quadrupedal eidolon with Frightful Presence would be fun at lower levels, I think, though not optimized. Grab the Spring Attack line or any way to get free movement. Pump up his charisma and give him items for faster movement rate, flight is also useful. He just runs around the battlefield, charging each enemy, making them shaken for 3d6 rounds. Might as well add on pounce and extra attack modes when you can. At first level he'll be pretty limited to charging one enemy and then suffering the counterattack, and hopefully live through it.

Oh, ranged energy attacks. Well. The magic abilities are limited to 1/day. You could always go bipedal and have yourself a ranged attacker with a bow, but those aren't energy.

avr
2014-07-25, 07:27 AM
OK, lets try it. Oread Shaitan Binder
Small biped eidolon (claws, limbs (legs), limbs (arms) free), initial Str 12, Dex 16 including archetype bonus
1: bite, energy attacks; feat Weapon Finesse. Bite +5, 1d4+1+1d6 acid, 2 claws +5, 1d3+1+1d6 acid
2: add scent
3: add basic magic; feat Arcane Strike makes attacks Bite +7, 1d4+2+1d6 acid, 2 claws +7, 1d3+2+1d6 acid
4: Basic magic becomes free from archetype. Add Gore, 1 more ev. point. Gore +7, 1d4+2+1d6 acid

Etc. Natural weapons are light weapons so you can use Piranha Strike and an Agile Amulet of Mighty Fists. It looks like it'd be competent at doing damage.

You could do something similar with a half-elf and a quadruped eidolon if you want pounce; you'd have Str 10 at first though which might be a noticeable difference. Probably better in the long run I admit.

grarrrg
2014-07-25, 10:28 AM
Greetings playground,

I propose to you a challenge. I want you to create an small eidolon for combat purposes. Bonus points for viability on first level or ranged elemental attacks (Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!). Has anyone ever tried this?

I'd just like to point out that the first Gundolon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11748177&postcount=12) Build went Small Size.
Given that it's a Synthesist, and a multi-class it's probably very much not what you were hoping for...