PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6, solo) - Thread Two

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-25, 06:05 AM
30 years ago, the Crypt Lords arose.

Their existance had long been rumored and prophesied, but no one really believed the old tales. If such a terrible evil had once existed, how was it ever defeated? And once defeated, how could it rise again?

There may never be an answer to those questions, but the facts are inarguable: The Seven rose, and with them rose armies of the dead, an insurmountable tide of walking corpses. The nations of the world banded together, stalwart knights and masters of the arcane, faithful priests and brave footmen. All to no avail.

It's not easy to fight an enemy that can run, day and night, for weeks on end, without ever tiring. It's hard to face an enemy that never breaks, never routs, never fears. And enemy for whom any and every sacrifice of troops is acceptable.

An enemy whose numbers increase, every time one of your own falls.

The township of Helgen (meaning saint in Danish) is far from any of the battlefronts. Of the Seven Cryptlords, the armies of Űlhamac and Chor are engaged a thousand miles to the north, while Esprecht and Phystos are pushing in from the west and east, respectively. Ur-Chraile has been spotted far to the south, but has thus far avoided combat, while the last two, Odo and Skyth remain unaccounted for.

Until this morning.

The Town of Helgen:

Helgen is a walled town of 2000 souls - though at present, only around 600 remain: The old, the weak, the infirm. Also a few of dubious morals: Deserters, looters, thieves. Finally, there are some who simply wasn't around when the Kings conscriptors came around, hunters and farmers and so on.

All is not well in Helgen. Crops go untended, stores are running low, and a few old men try to fill the role of constables. The skies are heavy with black clouds, the rains are constant, and the town is in open decay without a populace to maintain it.

Even far from the front, the price of war is heavy.

Then this morning, the citizens that remain woke to a chilling sight. A ring of thralls and soulless surround the town, shoulder to shoulder, thousands of them against the towns scant hundreds. Above their encampment the the red, fanged banner of Skyth the Relentless can be seen.

There is no rescue, and no real option for defence - there are simply too few armed men in town to effectively man the walls. And the fact that the enemy is just standing there, motionsless, patient, only prolongs and deepens the sense of doom and despair.

Last night, you had a dream.

Doorhandle
2014-07-25, 07:30 PM
"So there is is then. The fate of the world rests on my shoulders. "
"...Heh. Mother always told me I was special."

After awakening, Zerog immediately puts on his equipment, and moves to the tallest vantage point in town to better survey the invaders. Breakfast can wait.

Alright, taking a look at the area:

-Any weak points in the surrounding lines of undead? Such as thin spots where there are less of them?
-Any obvious leaders or necromancers?
-Anywhere I could get a cart and things to pull it in town? Preferably more.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-26, 06:38 PM
The highest point in town - well, there are two. One is the 'bell tower' of the temple. It's not so much a tower as a minaret, and it's also not so much a bell as a horn. It can be blown manually when needed, but it sounds on it's own every morning. This, of course, is not because it is magical - it is instead because it is the will of god that it do so.

The other option is the mill. Putting it simply, the town has two small hills. On one sits the town hall, the guilds and the temple. On the other is the mill, and a few other buildings related to it: A bakery, the town granary, a small market (agricultural stuff), and so on.

But lets back up a step or two.

It is dawn. It has been some days since the undead arrived, and something has become obvious: Anyone who dies in town will now rise again as a thrall - the basic rank and file of the undead armies.

Meanwhile, the ring of undead surrounding the town has done .... precisely nothing. They stand there, inanimate, watchful. Not entirely so, however - a single family tried to sneak out, and were slaughtered when they spotted.

It is dawn. A light fog shrouds the town - this is usual (due to the river Brennen). The sun will burn the fog away soon enough. The streets are empty. In the distance you hear the calls of patrolling town guards. You cannot place where they are, but nowhere very near you.

How are you moving? Any rolls you feel it prudent to make?

Doorhandle
2014-07-26, 08:37 PM
I'm moving on foot. Assuming I haven't done anything to anger the guards, I'll just be making spot checks to see if there are any newly-made undead in my path... and whatever I need to roll to find somewhere where I can get a wagon and/or things to pull it. I have a none-too-cunning plan...

How much gold do we start with? Minus the cost form my equipment of course.

Zerog makes his way to the bell tower. Seeing as there was a ring of undead surrounding the area, getting a blessing or two seemed...prudent. Besides, he was on a mission from his god, and getting the support of two would be ideal.

The barbarian kept a weather eye out for trouble as he moved.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-27, 05:44 AM
You can find a cart, no sweat. Those are plentyful. A horse, however, is a bit of a bind. You know of a total of three horses in town, and none of the owners are likely to part with them willingly.

You have standard starting gold.

You have been known to frequent the tavern The Dragons Breath. It is rather a rough-shod place, where a certain type less-than-pleasant roigh necks (not unlike yourself) hang out, get drunk and start fights.

While you have little regard for most of these, you've always kinda liked the innkeeper, Lug, who seems to know a little bit about everything, and about everyone. Also, Lug introduced you to Arnberg, an old retired mercenary - from whom you actually rent the room in which you live.

You also know a possible route in and out of town, unseen. Once, when you went swimming in the Brennen, you discovered that it's possible to bypass the grate where the river river passes under the south wall. Some rocks have fallen out, and you can squeeze past to the left, despite your rather generous size.

You walk the streets, mist clinging to your cloak and making it wet. As you make your way down Menders Way (where herbs and spices and also healing poultices might be found - when the shops were still open), you spy a shadowy figure standing motionless in the middle of the street, maybe 50 feet distant.

Actions please =)

Doorhandle
2014-07-27, 07:12 PM
Zerog snort derisively at the figure before continuing on his way to the belltower. This is not before he carefully rearranges his equipment until his greatclub is in hand, however...

Okay, so plan A: drive through the weakest part of the ring of undead like the cool-aid guy may have to be put on the backburner. Stilling going to scout out the horde though.

Basicly going to ignore this guy unless he doesn't ignore me. I'm moving past him, and I'll ready to swing with the greatclub if he If he attempts anything hostile within range.

Starting gold's 80 gold, right? Damnit, probably already over it.
edit: calculated everything with equipment and I'm still okay, so there's that.

Will go to the tavern a little after initial scouting.

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-28, 02:30 AM
The thrall and soulless that make up the rank and file of the crypt lords armies are rich on neither initiative nor intelligence. They will attack the living, but are somewhat sluggish to react. When they do, however, they are fast.

The one in the street is just standing there. By observation alone you can deduce that - most likely - the old man died of age or disease in the house to the right, where the door remains ajar. He arose as a thrall, staggered out into the street, and just remained there.

Until you came along. When he finally notices you, his eyes snap to your position, and he charges.

He's not armed - but that's little consolation.

Initiative: [roll0]

Doorhandle
2014-07-28, 07:42 PM
Zerogs eyes snap open, and he immediately swings at the worthless beast with his club!

Intuitive:

Had a readied action to swing at it with my club, I believe.

[roll1]
[roll]1d10+6

I guess the damage roll doesn't matter because my luck is AWFUL!

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-29, 07:17 AM
Rolling snake eyes on d20's is a rare and wonderful occurrence. It should be treasured - the dice gods are watching you.

Readied action actually makes regular initiative irrelevant. You miss the thrall - he swings at you.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Thralls, as you can see, are quite strong. Also, their natural attacks are quite good.

Also, this guy too seems to have the attention of the dice gods =)

Doorhandle
2014-07-29, 06:24 PM
Unperturbed, Zerog goes for a mighty overhead swing!

[roll0]

[roll1]

edit: that's more like it!

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-30, 05:36 AM
Zerog swings solidly. Muscles bulging, his heavy club connects with crushing force. Hard enough to fell a bull, or an orc warrior - with a crunch of bone, a spray of blood and a sloppy mess of blubbery gore flying everywhere ... the thrall remains standing. It brings round a powerful round house ...

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

... which connects hard with Zerogs temple. The strength of the undead thing is staggering - equal to Zerogs, in fact, something the big man doesn't encounter too often. Ears ringing, he once more squares off against the thrall.

The thrall is a god-awful mess. It's head is a very odd shape, and half-crusted blood seeps lazily from it's greivous wounds without a living heart to pump it.

Doorhandle
2014-07-30, 06:12 AM
Zerog swings again, furious that he could be challenged by such a worthless thing!

Maybe I should've gotten my glaive out: same damage, plus reach/5ft steps making his day much worse. As well.

[roll]1d10+6

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-30, 07:06 PM
13 is enough to hit, and ... well it has only one hit point left. So never mind the damage roll.

Zerogs club swings around again. There is a truly gristly sound as bones shatter and blood and guts splatter. Something finally gives way inside the undead thing, causing the dark magics animating it to break. It falls like a sack of potatoes, no longer animate.

Actions? Or does Zerog simply move on towards the temple?

Doorhandle
2014-07-30, 07:29 PM
13 is enough to hit, and ... well it has only one hit point left. So never mind the damage roll.

Zerogs club swings around again. There is a truly gristly sound as bones shatter and blood and guts splatter. Something finally gives way inside the undead thing, causing the dark magics animating it to break. It falls like a sack of potatoes, no longer animate.

Actions? Or does Zerog simply move on towards the temple?

Towards the temple with some urgency now he has a concussion...

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-31, 06:13 AM
You reach the temple without further incident. There is a muted atmosphere around the place. Guards are at the ready, but no one speaks. There are a few whispered prayers, and all around are scared townsfolk anxiously waiting - for something, anything, to save them.

You are met by Emily, a young woman you do not know.

"Hello and welcome - you are injured, how may we help you?" she enquires.

Doorhandle
2014-07-31, 09:27 PM
"With healing and information" replied the wounded barbarian.

"Can you tell me how to get to the top of this temple? I have an idea on how to get people out of this town before we're overrun by our own dead, but I need to see the surrounding area more clearly first."

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-01, 05:36 AM
"With healing and information" replied the wounded barbarian.

"Can you tell me how to get to the top of this temple? I have an idea on how to get people out of this town before we're overrun by our own dead, but I need to see the surrounding area more clearly first."

Emily is a skilled healer - but not a caster. She applies poultices and bandages to the best of her ability.

Healing: [roll0]
Damage healed: [roll1]

"The door the minaret is locked, but you can get the key from me," she says, and hands you a heavy, old key. "You can see everything from up there."

Doorhandle
2014-08-01, 06:22 PM
"Thank you."

Zerog immediately makes his way to the top of the minarette to scan the surrounding area...

As before: any weaknesses in the battlelines?
Any necromancers or summoners?

More pertinently: are they guarding the river out of this place? And would there be any submerged undead?

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-02, 02:19 AM
Below you, the town of Helgen, and it's environs.

The town is a bleaker place than usually it was - most of it's population have been drafted, or fled the wars, though partially others have come, a few refugees, a few deserters, a few thieves and outlaws.

Outside the town, the undead. Outside bow range, a ring of undead. Shoulder to shoulder, three deep, there are quite literally thousands of them. You cannot see the entire ring - to the west, forest obscures the sight, and to the south, hills do the same.

You cannot be sure whether there are undead in the river. There are undead at the river, but whether any are in the water you cannot say.

Finally, there are camps. You can see four total: The main camp is to the north, but there are smaller camps in all compass directions. The main camp is walled, apparently in bone - and your stomach feels queasy at the look of those walls. Long, sharp spikes of bone. Spidery. Lethal?

The camps are strange. They are part relatively ordinary military camps - part ... weird. There are tents, and camp fires, and patrolling guards - apparently human warriors. There are also piles of bones, something that looks like totem poles, altars, strange pools of liquid. Blood?