PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Control Winds Build?

StrangeLooper
2014-07-25, 09:41 AM
What builds can you think of that abuse Control Winds? Note that Control Winds allows you to increase windspeed, not control it. This means that multiple uses of it stack.

Summerstorm
2014-07-25, 10:12 AM
Hm, maybe not abusing it...

A Stormsinger is a bard prestige-class in Frostburn (Can be entered after Lvl 5) which gets a "Control Winds"-Effect as a "Bardic Music" - which runs at concentration+2 rounds and at a casterlevel of Perform (Singing) ranks.

(So, when he gets the ability at Class Lvl 5 - ECL ~10) He has it at CL 13.

Also he gets a CL bonus when casting in a storm or when it is cold (Weirdly he isn't immune to the effects like a Stormlord). Free +2 CL

So you can maybe get a instant calm air-> Tornado Effect if it's cold beforehand. (CL 15 for great success)

Also the tornado will destroy until you have to sleep not just paltry 10min/CL... *g*

I like that class because you can pretty much sing "You've been.... THUNDERSTRUCK" and do lighting damage= Singing roll with it... just cool.

Edit: He gets a +2 CL in coldness or storm...

Red Fel
2014-07-25, 10:24 AM
If you're comfortable with using it as an SLA, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363006-Building-a-Tempest) has you covered.

Once a day, starting at level 8, you can use Control Winds as an SLA with a CL of 18. Create a 720'-radius tornado that lasts for three hours. My favored trick, to avoid self-destructing with it, is to turn it up to severe winds, use the distraction to escape to a safe distance, and then crank it up to full blast. Note the language: "The new wind direction and strength persist until the spell ends or until you choose to alter your handiwork, which requires concentration." Thus, even though the spell has a duration of rounds instead of Concentration, you can alter it on a whim.

StrangeLooper
2014-07-25, 02:29 PM
Yes, thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

eggynack
2014-07-25, 02:46 PM
It doesn't look like multiple uses stack at all. They'd be the same magical effect covering the same area, and it's not like it's instantaneous.