PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Half-Orc Barbarian/Magus

GideonBurkheart
2014-07-25, 01:02 PM
So as the title says, I'm planning on playing a Half-Orc Barb/Magus. My only real questions with this is how useful would those 2 classes mix? My guess is extremely well but I'm hoping someone has made one before and maybe has any tips to its creation. So far he's got a 16-15-16 str-dex-int with a 13-15 wis-cha. Should I possibly switch the wisdom and charisma scores? I've already added the +2 ability points to his Int mainly because of back story. Raised in Barb village, magical human ancestry, teacher finds me, yadda yadda yadda. Which is basically how I worked the idea of a Half orc barbarian getting into the Magus class lol and I doubt it matters much but he is a CN character.

stack
2014-07-25, 03:41 PM
Can't cast and rage at the same time, so keep that in mind. I believe the moment of clarity rate power would help, but honestly you are likely better off just making the barbarian part fluff and going straight magus. Magus gets lots of goodies that are hard to give up and caster levels are best not lost. It might be workable, but it is an odd build that will not be likely to exceed a straight magus in most respects.

I guess you could cast, hold the charge, then rage.

AMFV
2014-07-25, 04:42 PM
Well their abilities are tied to different stats. They don't synergize well, you won't get as deep into either set of abilities. On the whole it's a lose-lose. You'd be better off going Barbarian/Caster into EK and then taking Moment of Clarity and a few extra rage power feats, and still that's not a good synergy.

Shinken
2014-07-25, 05:50 PM
Have you considered a Bloodrager?

Beowulf DW
2014-07-25, 06:14 PM
Have you considered a Bloodrager?

That would be my suggestion, though if the point is to channel spells into attacks, then Magus will have to come into the picture at one point or another. Bloodrager simply doesn't get that ability, at least not in the playtest version.

If Rage is a must, then I'd recommend the Viking archetype for Fighter. It has better synergy with the Magus than the Barbarian does (levels stack for certain class features/feat eligibility).

Con is going to be more important that Cha or Wis (you have a good Will save, and you aren't going to be the party face). So if you're using point-buy, dump those two stats and put into Con. If you rolled, put the 15 into Con and keep the 13 in Wis.

You'll need 4 levels in Viking Fighter to get rage. The rest should be Magus.

Spore
2014-07-25, 06:27 PM
If you want a tribal warrior/caster hybrid the Dragon Disciple and Rage Prophet is a very serious goal for you. A Barb/Magus is just poor since the Magus is a hybrid class itself. Any reason not being possible to refluff the Magus to fit your theme? You will quickly feel like you're playing two unfitting characters. But if you'Re after the feral self/clever self play maybe a refluffed Alchemist/Master Chymist (using bombs when not in mutagenic form and tearing enemies from limb to limb in mutagenic form).

GideonBurkheart
2014-07-26, 12:45 AM
If you want a tribal warrior/caster hybrid the Dragon Disciple and Rage Prophet is a very serious goal for you. A Barb/Magus is just poor since the Magus is a hybrid class itself. Any reason not being possible to refluff the Magus to fit your theme? You will quickly feel like you're playing two unfitting characters. But if you'Re after the feral self/clever self play maybe a refluffed Alchemist/Master Chymist (using bombs when not in mutagenic form and tearing enemies from limb to limb in mutagenic form).

That would be my suggestion, though if the point is to channel spells into attacks, then Magus will have to come into the picture at one point or another. Bloodrager simply doesn't get that ability, at least not in the playtest version.

If Rage is a must, then I'd recommend the Viking archetype for Fighter. It has better synergy with the Magus than the Barbarian does (levels stack for certain class features/feat eligibility).

Con is going to be more important that Cha or Wis (you have a good Will save, and you aren't going to be the party face). So if you're using point-buy, dump those two stats and put into Con. If you rolled, put the 15 into Con and keep the 13 in Wis.

You'll need 4 levels in Viking Fighter to get rage. The rest should be Magus.

I'm really liking these two ideas. Theres still plenty of time before this game will ever happen so i may just end up making like 3 different characters and having my DM deside who he could work best with. Thanks for all the imput guys, helped a lot.