PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New GM Recruiting Players/Help for Monsters & Other Childish Things: Candlewick Manor

DruidJP585
2014-07-25, 01:48 PM
Webmetz here (really need to see about making a new account for GiantTip). I am a new GM overall, but a long time player of tabletop games. I recently got the courage to GM a system I have grown to love.

Monsters and Other Childish Things
MAOCT is a One Roll Engine Game.
ORE is a system where you roll 1 to 10 d10s and try for matches. It is used in Wild Talents and Better Angels, as well as Nemesis and Cthululike. It works.

Where is This Game Set?

This is Candlewick Vale, a geologically and geographically unlikely valley somewhere in New England, though it has some distinctly Old England elements as well. It may be the 1930s. Cars are big and loud. Clothing is quaint. Children’s shoes are stiff and uncomfortable. Telephones are big and brassy.
But it isn’t really the 1930s. It is just some time before TV. Radio is big, but TV isn’t. It is a time when little towns in the boonies can stay isolated, get weird and inbred, when people are suspicious of outsiders and like things the way they are. So really, Candlewick Vale is a time out of time, and a place out of place. It is the whole world.

The game will initially take place in Candlewick Manor, but eventually spread out of the Manor into other parts of the Vale.

Who Am I?
Now that is a doozy of a question. You are a PC, a Pathetic Child. In other words, an Orphan. You know nothing about your past, or why this man in a Black Car came to pick you up from your Orphanage far away from Candlewick Vale, and bring you all to Candlewick Manor, a different orphanage.

So in short, Who Am I is a question your orphan will ask themselves, and throughout the game you'll learn it, your true past, and form a connection to Candlewick Vale. After that point, a whole new kind of game will start.

However, you aren't normal orphans. There's a reason you've haven't been adopted. You're CREEPY orphans. There is something strange about you.
It’s the sort of thing that sets off alarm bells and sirens in the minds of potential adopting parents, like an adorable puppy whose mouth is caked with dried blood. No matter how much it wags its tail, it isn’t going to be taken home and given its own basket to sleep in, and its own bowl with its own name on it. No matter how much an orphan smiles—forcing cramping facial muscles into unfamiliar configurations—they are too touched by the odd to find a happy home.

Players, Game, and DM

The game will be held on the Rizon IRC server on the Channel #MAOCT
We currently have three players
I am seeking a minimum total of 4 players, and might be able to handle a max load of 6 players. You can create your own orphan via the books, create one using the Random Orphan Generator, or use one of the Pregens: Josie (Joe Joe the Wolf Girl), Howard (Who Draws with the Colors out of Space), Edward (the Spiderleg boy), Priscilla (the girl with the Evil Eye who probably already hates you), Karl (The Amazing Rhino-Skin Kid), or Dotty (She Sees Dead People).
I am planning to try and hold the first session on August 1st-3rd. Probably starting around 7-9PM EST. One of the players lives in Thailand, so I can't go earlier.
If anyone wants to co-gm, handle npcs, or just help me write scenarios, I'd appreciate the help. I am a new DM after all. This will be my first experience DMing something other then D&D 4E

Materials
Below are the materials I am legally able to share via links and downloads. We'll talk about other materials once you get in the channel.
Quick Play Guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/to4rxglm5dihtgb/Quick-Play_Guide.pdf)
Doctor Jester's Phantasmagorical Automatic Freak Machine (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5xspgh78z9y093/Random%20Creepy%20Kid%20Builder%20-%20Doctor_Jesters_Phantasmagorical_Automatic_Freak _Machine_%286141924%29.pdf) - A tool used to create random orphan power sets

Other Materials the players will be using, and that I will be providing specific bits and bobs from, no need to buy them:
Monsters & Other Childish Things - core book
Bigger Bads - supplement which includes other extras
Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor - Specific Pages of how the game will be played, as well as the Pregens. PLEASE don't read past chapter 3 on this book if you have it. It would really spoil things.

After the Campaign
Candlewick Manor is a pretty good prequel to a full Monsters and Other campaign. I fully expect bits of it to progress to the modern day campaign. What, well that depends on how Candlewick goes. Regardless, I plan to run a full Kids with monsters game after we milk Candlewick for what its got.

...let me know if you have interest and head on over to the IRC.

DruidJP585
2014-07-25, 01:52 PM
-delete this-