PDA

View Full Version : [D&D Next] Phandelver (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Meltheim
2014-07-25, 02:19 PM
More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby town of Phandalin prospered as well. But then disaster struck when the orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path.

A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked the cave to seize its riches and magical treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the forge, and the ensuing battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of the cave was lost.

For centuries, rumors of buried riches have attracted treasure seekers and opportunists to the area around Phandalin, but no one has ever succeeded in locating the lost mine. In recent years, people have resettled the area. Phandalin is now a rough-and-tumble frontier town. But things are changing in this mining town, and rumors of the rediscovery of the cave have been swirling even more recently in recent weeks...

Meltheim
2014-07-25, 02:44 PM
All - [Neverwinter]

Each of you has received a letter, bearing the seal of the Rockseeker Clan - a dwarven family known for their adventurous nature and skill in "lost asset recovery". The letter is from Gundren Rockseeker,

I am reaching out to you for assistance. I need you and a few others, who have also received this letter, to bring a wagonload of provisions to the nearby town of Phandalin. Don't worry, it is only a couple of days' travel southeast of Neverwinter. I cannot go into more detail at this time, but my brothers and I have found something big, and we are in need of your assistance to get our operation going in proper fashion.

Bring this letter to Madam Goldwayne at Lathian's Taphouse. She will get you together with the others and set you up with the cart and provisions. Bring the supplies and this letter to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin. Master Elmar Barthen has assured me that he will give you 10 gold for your troubles.

By the time you get this letter, I will have already set out ahead. I am accompanied by Ser Sildar Hallwinter, who will help me take care of business until you arrive with my provisions.

Hope to see you soon. Meet me at Stonehill Inn for a few rounds of ale when you get to Phandalin. If all goes well, I may even have another job for you, one which offers much higher rewards.

Sincerely,

Gundren

Gundren Rockseeker is someone each of you knows, either as a family friend, a business acquaintance, or something else. How did you know him before he hired you?

Meltheim
2014-07-25, 02:53 PM
All - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

"Yeah yeah, I see your letter. The cart's in the back. There should be five of you, so make sure you wait for the others. Or don't, it's none of my business." Madame Goldwayne gestures toward the stables of the inn, indicating the large cart and oxen.

dariathalon
2014-07-25, 05:28 PM
Baruk Thundershield - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

Baruk took the letter back from Madame Goldwayne and tucked it away. "Alright then. Thank you Madame," he says before making his way around to the stables. Finding the cart in question he checks it over to make sure that the horses are attached and ready for the journey.

Once that task is done, he sits down on the cart and pulls the letter back out. He reads it over one more time. "I wonder what cousin Gundren has found. Sounds big. Good for him. It will be good to see him and Nundro and Thardin again."

Gavran
2014-07-26, 07:23 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Arriving some time later, Tybalt reveals his letter to the woman and then follows her direction to the cart. Spotting the dwarf seated on it, Tybalt surmises that he must be one of "the others." Rather than introducing himself, he waves his letter at the man, offering it as an explanation for his presence before settling down on the opposite end of the cart.

I don't anticipate much trouble from this little diversion. Ten gold coins and a ride to where I was already headed is certainly most agreeable. Still, I can not help but wonder what Gundren believes I could help him with... I remember that he seemed bright enough when he visited the temple. I suppose that I will find out soon enough.

dariathalon
2014-07-26, 11:44 AM

Baruk turns in his seat to look at the stranger, his arms and armor jangling as he moves. "Mornin'. You must be one of the others cousin Gundren sent for. My name is Baruk Thundershield." He offers the elf his meaty hand. "So do you know any more about this expedition than I do?"

Gavran
2014-07-26, 06:19 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"Ah. Good morning to you too." After a moment's hesitation, he shakes hands with the dwarf. "I am called Tybalt Thalanrien. Gundren is your cousin, you say? I would have assumed he would disclose more to you than to I. We only met once, at Oghma's temple where I serve. I can only imagine that, whatever his purpose, he may believe it is historically significant."

Felhammer
2014-07-26, 08:59 PM
ARIESS

The halfling casually walked up to the Lathian's Taphouse, the quietest little jingle in her purse and a coy smile on her face. "Thank you Madame Goldwayne, hopefully they have not left yet." The halfling confidently walks out of the tavern and over to the stables. "The name is Ariess Tossbottle. Are you the other four people Gundren asked to help him on this little venture?

Wdwune
2014-07-26, 09:58 PM
Jasper Goodwyl - Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse

A young, slender, black haired human male wearing leather armor approaches Madame Goldwayne with a confident smile. He has two weapons sheathed on his back; a greatsword and a longbow (with a quiver).

Both characters have a brief, casual chat for a while as if they knew each other from some time ago, and then he gives him the letter.

"Yeah yeah, I see your letter. The cart's in the back. There should be five of you, so make sure you wait for the others. Or don't, it's none of my business." Madame Goldwayne gestures toward the stables of the inn, indicating the large cart and oxen.

"Five?" he replies with a surprised look on his face as he peeks briefly at the cart. "That means I'm probably the only one remaining? Oh my..." He walks in haste towards the cart, but then he stops and turns to handwave Madame Goldwayne. "And thanks a lot!"

Once he gets to the cart, he looks relieved as he's not, in fact, the last one. With a satisfied smile he puts his backpack on the floor and sits on any open space of any side of the cart. "Greetings! Gentlemen, lady..."

Once the other party members end their introductions, he coughs before he speaks. "Um, well... I guess it's my turn. My name's Jasper Goodwyl, I work at the docks, and yes milady," he replies to Ariess with a courteous grin. "Just like you, I got a letter from Gundren too."

He gets more comfortable on his spot. "Pleased to meet you all."

I took the liberty of using the Rustic Hospitality trait to roleplay Jasper as a well-known fellow of Neverwinter, thus guessing Madame Goldwayne knows him at least. I hope it's okay. :smallsmile:

Gavran
2014-07-28, 12:58 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Having remained quietly alert with each arrival, Tybalt finishes his initial assessment of them and wonders aloud "I am a historian. Baruk here is his kindred. I don't intend any offense but... why do you think Gundren would request the assistance of a dock worker and uhh... you, miss Tossbottle?"

dariathalon
2014-07-28, 01:38 AM

"Hmm... A historian. Could it have something to do with Phandelver? That's just the sort of thing that would catch Gundren's attention. And it did sound like he'd made a big discovery. This could be even bigger than I thought!" Baruk thinks. "Might be best to keep it under my hat until I know for sure."

"It is good to meet all of you." He looks up at the sun. "Seems like a fine day for a little trip. However, I have to wonder if he expects trouble along the road. I've heard a group called the Redbrands have been causing some trouble in Phandalin. Maybe he worries that they'll try to pull something. I've spent some time with the Mintarn mercenaries, so I know how to swing a hammer should it come to it. It looks like I'm not the only one who can fight." He nods at Jasper's longbow and over-sized sword. "Maybe that's what he's after getting us all here."

Felhammer
2014-07-28, 01:47 AM
AIRESS

Airess runs her fingers through her long mane of hair, puffing it out and making her appear about an inch taller than she truly is. "My dear old Aunt owed a favor to ole' Gundren. He called the favor in and, well, she's not the sort for travel, so she asked me go along in her stead. Of course, I am not much for traveling either (much prefer the city life, myself) but... What can I say, I'd do anything for Auntie Qelline. Plus, I could use a bit of a break from Neverwinter. The open road will do me good." The raven haired halfling looks off at one of the horses for a moment, her hand gliding down to the hilt of the black short sword that is resting on her hip. She caresses the tip of the copper pommel, lost in thought. I'll never find Glasstaff while hiding in Neverwinter. He may have tried to kill me but he failed, miserably at that! I will make him pay... Him and that no good traitor who betrayed my trust! Who ever did it is going to meet the same fate as Glasstaff! Two more dead bodies for the River Styx!"

Snapping out of it, Airess looks over at Tybalt and smiles, "Hopefully Tymora will see our journey to Phandelver quickly, quietly and without incident."

Wdwune
2014-07-28, 10:02 AM
Jasper - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

"It looks like I'm not the only one who can fight." He nods at Jasper's longbow and over-sized sword. "Maybe that's what he's after getting us all here."

"Aaand that's right!" Jasper corroborates without showing any effort to conceal his enthusiasm. "I'm not a knowledge expert like both of you, but I can be useful when things get... complicated. Gundred himself chose me to be here, so I must say it's a great honor!"

He turns to Airess with a surprised smile. "I feel the same too! I mean... Not about the incidents or anything, but the thing about exploring places outside Neverwinter. I feel that my destiny is out there, but I need to be well prepared before heading to Thundertree..."

Tegu8788
2014-07-28, 11:04 PM
Lewis Poole - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

Riding around the corner on a beautiful horse, a finely dressed man approaches the oxen and cart. "You all must be the adventuring party Gundred hired to assist me. Marvelous. Are you ready to go? I'd rather depart as expeditiously as possible." He turns his horse, waving at Goldwayne. "Your assistance was most appreciated, Madam. When I have properly re-established my claim, I will see to it that you are properly rewards for your courteous efforts."

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 12:11 AM
AIRESS

The halfling nods at Jasper, "Indeed it will be most fun to see the countrysi..." She is interrupted by the arrival of a man... A well dressed, handsome man... A man... Who looked perfect... The raven haired beauty saunters over to the noble, extends her delicate hand and says, "I do declare, you are exactly what this little sojourn required. The name is Airess Topbottle but," She flutters her eyelashes, "You can call me Star.

Tegu8788
2014-07-29, 10:23 AM

From atop his horse, Lewis looks down at the alluring Halfling, and her delicate, outstretched hand. If the diminutive lady not be, well, so short, and he atop a full sized horse, he would have impetuously lifted her off her feet and onto his steed.

But as it stood, there was a Halfing girl trying to reach a man sitting on a horse.

True, he could lean over to reach her. True, he could get off his horse. True, he could have his horse kneel to close the gap between them...

But, leaning was so undignified, and he didn't want to get his shoes covered in this mud, and to kneel to another could send the wrong message...

So instead, he took out a card from a fine leather satchel, and dropped it into her hand. "My name is Lewis Poole. I'm certain you've heard of my family, and no doubt you understand my desire to start this journey." Looking the young lady in the eye, he delivers a well trained smile, and adds to her "But Star, you may call me Lew. I foresee good fortune in your future, if you aid me on my endeavor."

dariathalon
2014-07-29, 12:39 PM

Baruk calls out to the nobleman from the wagon. "Hello there, good sir. I'm Baruk Thundershield. I'm glad you're finally here. If you're supposed to be in charge of this expedition, then my cousin Gundren must have told you what this is all about. So, what are we doing here, aside from going to Phandalin?"

Tegu8788
2014-07-29, 01:01 PM

Looking to the demanding dwarf, the mounted man responds with an air of formality. "My family once ruled over Corlinn Hill, before it was destroyed by a volcano. My title is meaningless as it stands today. However, Gundren has written to me about a promising prospect in Phandalin. In our previous partnerships we have spoken about my desire to reestablish my family's holdings. Clearly, he has found something of worth in Phandalin, and believes that my family's influence will be of use there. I see he has taken the impetus and hired traveling companions for me, and you lot appear to be a quite capable crew."

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 01:36 PM
AIRESS

The halfling is more than a little perturbed by that a man would not dismount his horse to greet other new people. "Obviously this guy is a dunderhead! I bet he's the type to run around with sacks full of gems... Probably all given to him by mommy and daddy dearest to see their son wine and dine his way across the Sword Coast! I'm sure he won't miss one or two of those gems, especially give how many he probably has. Now, I just need to keep an eye on him and find out where he stashes his family jewels." Airess takes the card and nods, "Th-thank you...?" A card? What is this... A dunderhead indeed!" "I am sure we shall aid one another... Quite a bit in the near future, milord." She flutters her eyelashes once more and smiles warmly, with the barest hint of lustfulness. "The old eyelashes and smile routine worked on the last noble. This "Lew" shall be no different."

Wdwune
2014-07-29, 03:59 PM
Jasper - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

"Amazing!" Jasper exclamates in surprise once the noble man introduces himself. "Greetings, Sir Poole. My name's Jasper Goodwyl, and it's my genuine pleasure to meet you!"

He tries to regain his composture. "Please forgive my impulsive behavior, but I'm just honored to have a member of the Poole family supporting us, and as a fellow warrior no less!"

He leans back on his spot with a satisfied smile on his face. So, I'm in front of the heir of the Corlinn Hill county. And our goals are similar! Oh boy, this is going to be awesome.

"Well, lady and gentlemen, it appears that the five of us are already here, so..." Jasper quickly moves to sit on the driver's seat and holds the reins, ready to drive the wagon. "Those aboard get comfortable, for your driver, Jasper Goodwyl is about to lead you to our noble destiny!"

Unless objected, Jasper will be the cart's driver. :smallsmile:

Meltheim
2014-07-29, 04:38 PM
All - [Neverwinter - Lathian's Taphouse]

Madame Goldwayne walks out, holding the door open for two large men with wheelbarrows. "Can't well begin without the provisions, eh?" she asks, raising an eyebrow at Jasper's enthusiasm.

The two men begin loading up the cart, doing their best not to jostle it too much. After a few minutes, the men finish. The wagon is loaded with an assortment of mining supplies and food. The food includes a dozen sacks of flour, several casks of salted pork, two kegs of strong ale, shovels, picks and crowbars (about a dozen each) and five lanterns with a small barrel of oil (about fifty flasks in volume). Airess judges the value to be somewhere around 100gp.

Once the men are finished, one extends a hand to help Airess into her space at the passenger seat. They then nod their heads and walk back into the inn. Madame Goldwayne throws a snarky smile their way and offers, "Gundren told me that you're to head down the High Road for a few days and then cut over east to the Triboar trail. Or don't, it's none of my business."

The party heads out, the oxen trundling along under the load of the wagon. The city of Neverwinter soon gives way to countryside, and in a matter of miles the party finds themselves alone on the High Road. The High Road itself is well traveled, well maintained, and is easy enough to follow. Several hours pass with the party keeping themselves company. A break for lunch provides a break to the monotony, but after everyone has their fill it's back on the road again.

Night falls after the end of an uneventful day, and the party finds themselves alone on the side of the road, with the stars overhead.

If you want to do anything at night, around the campfire, then go ahead. Set watches, sing songs, whatever else you want to do.

I'll check the thread again tonight and move it along if need be.

dariathalon
2014-07-29, 06:32 PM
Baruk - [On the High Road]

After Baruk takes his share of the simple stew that had been prepared for their evening meal off the fire, he sits back. "You know, I once heard a tale of a man who was camping not far from here. As he was preparing his campite, a hungry bear came out of the woods. Frightened for his life, the man ran away and hid in a cave. He is horrified to find that the bear has run after him into the cave."

Baruk pauses for a moment to take a bite of his stew. "So this man, he was so sure he was going to die that he closed his eyes and began to pray. He was about half-way through giving his own last rites, when he realized he wasn't dead yet. He opened one eye and glanced around." Baruk mimics the man's squint. "And what did he see, but the bear sitting in front of him with its eyes closed and its claws folded in its lap - also praying."

"So the man thinks to himself, 'How lucky am I to be cornered by what must be the world's only religious bear? We can worship together, I'm saved!' But then he listens a little more closely to the bear's prayer, he hears the low growling voice say, 'I give thanks for what I am about to receive...'" He ends the story with a roll of laughter.

"While I doubt there's any religious bear's really about here, we'd best set some watches. Who knows what is really out there in the night. I have good night eyes, so I volunteer for the middle watch. Does anyone else have a preference?"

Felhammer
2014-07-29, 06:53 PM
AIRESS

Airess hardly listens to the dwarf speak. Dwarves were always so droll. Battle this, orc slaying that, yawn. What unfortunate luck to have in her company a dwarf who actually defied the cold, silent stereotype. She liked silent dwarves. She respected them, as they proved to be the most defiant and difficult of marks. The halfling, utilizing her feminine wiles, sends obvious signals that she is interested in the noble. She spares a few glances to look him over, ostensibly to study the placement of his belongings but, she took care to linger in several enjoyable spots... She was a woman after all. It was, perhaps uncouth, but it was not like this... Lew, was unattractive, poor or ungainly. Someday, he would make some human wench quite happy. She silently cursed her fate to be a halfling. Few of her kind were as tall, upstanding and debonaire as Lew. Most halfling men were... Soft-bellied, weak of heart and lazy. Three things she detested above all things save poverty, imprisonment and death. She suddenly realized the dwarf had ended his story, "Why... Yes. A good tale of goblin slaying, I'd say." She rubs her chin three times, then says, "I will take..." She swings her head over to look in Lew's direction, allowing her hair to tumble up into the air and cascade down like a black river, "The last watch."

dariathalon
2014-07-29, 07:32 PM

Baruk scratched his beard as a confused look formed on his face. "Goblin slaying?" he mutters to himself.

Gavran
2014-07-29, 09:18 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt offers the dwarf a wan smile "Not all minds harbor an appreciation for tales, I suppose. You know, I actually read a similar account once... well, except that the bear was a crazed druid and... one must ponder the veracity of these stories that are repeated despite ending in the demise of the narrator." The elf brushes his hair back behind his ear and takes a glance around the camp. "Still, prudence is generally worth the effort, yes? I can take the first watch, and will be at hand should anything happen in the night."

Tegu8788
2014-07-29, 09:42 PM
Lewis Poole - [On the High Road]

"If it is all the same to you, Tybalt, I would have you take second or third watch. Your keen eyes will do more good in the dark of the night. I will take first watch. That should give me enough rest to be ready to move out come morning." He gives Star a knowing look, before pulling his thick cloak around his shoulders, and finding a large stone, he sits, his ancestral axe resting between his wide spread legs.

Meltheim
2014-07-29, 10:33 PM
All - [The High Road]

The night continues on uneventfully. The crackle of the fire and the smell of woodsmoke kept the party company, as each in turn took their slumber. Tybalt found the stillness of the evening was perfect for his trance, and had little difficulty keeping an eye on things even after his watch was over.

Traffic on the road was nonexistent that night, though in the morning the party found some evidence of nocturnal happenings - a rabbit's paw prints zig sagging while a wolf's followed in pursuit - that sort of thing.

The morning finds the party well rested, and once the oxen (and Lew's horse) are fed and watered, the group is able to continue on their journey down the High Road. After another day's travel, the sun hangs low on the horizon. In the fading light, Jasper sees where the road veers east, onto what must be the Triboar Trail.

You all can check the Phandelver Map link in my signature to get to the tracker for this game. Note the Known Territory Map tab - you guys are just above the crossroads. Additionally, feel free to make a WIS check to see if you know more about the region.

You've heard that this region of the Sword Coast can be dangerous

You've heard that this region of the Sword Coast can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail.

You've heard that this region of the Sword Coast can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail. Rumors have it that goblins have been sighted in the area as recently as one month ago.

dariathalon
2014-07-29, 10:54 PM

Baruk trudges down the High Road, contemplating what he might remember about the area they pass through.

[roll0]

He straightens his back and adjusts his shield on his arm, as he remembers what he's heard. "Careful everyone, keep your eyes peeled. I've heard this stretch of High Road has suffered a lot of banditry," he says. As he walks his eyes scan the sides of the road for any signs of ambush.

Gavran
2014-07-30, 05:01 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"I can confirm that your concern is well placed, I've read various reports substantiating the inherent risk in traveling these parts. In point of fact, that's one of the reasons I've joined you all in this journey. Perhaps we should continue through the night rather than risk giving them the opportunity to set an ambush on our camp?"

The elf's tone is thoughtful, as if he is merely considering the possibility aloud rather than suggesting it outright.

Wdwune
2014-07-30, 11:45 AM
Jasper - [On the High Road]

Jasper wakes up totally renewed. "I agree with Tybalt here," he says at the same time as he looks around. "Under normal circumstances could be safer to travel by night. However, we're taking a cart full of provisions with us, which is like painting a huge bull's eye on us, specially when our vision is more limited in the darkness. I vote for traveling by day."

Wisdom check: [roll0]

dariathalon
2014-07-30, 04:10 PM

Baruk glances around as the others begin talking about what to do. He can feel their eyes on him waiting for an opinion and his palms begin to sweat. "Uh. I guess I'll just go with the majority on this one. I can do either. What do you think, Lewis?" He relaxes a little, feeling as if he's sufficiently shifted the spotlight for now.

Tegu8788
2014-07-30, 04:54 PM
Lewis Poole - [On the High Road]

Taking the advice of his companions in stride, Lew nods his head. "We shall travel by day. This seems to be a wisest course of action to me. Perhaps we shall come upon these bandits. At night, they have familiarity of the terrain on their side, and we have no advantage. During the day, while they may ambush us, but we will be better prepared, rested, to deal with such a threat. I, for one, would very much like to clear out any ill-meaning folk from this road. But that may be a mission for another day." Once again on his horse, Lew rides adjacent to the oxen pulling the laden cart.

Wdwune
2014-07-30, 05:30 PM
Jasper - [On the High Road]

"Alright then!" Jasper says. "Looks like we have a plan." He walks to the cart and checks that everything is in his right place and prepares the horses. Then he steps into the driver's seat and waits for everyone to be ready before holding the reins.

Just in case, I will make some checks that could (or could not) be required:

· Investigation (to check the stuff on the cart): [roll0]
· Animal Handling (if required to calm the horses or anything): [roll1]
· Perception (to see if I see anything unusual from the driver's seat): [roll2]

Felhammer
2014-07-30, 05:35 PM
AIRESS

The halfling smiles at the knight in shining armor from the side seat on the cart, "A good plan, Lew. I concur." The halfling was never much for planning. She would defer to those more versed in the ways of "thinking things through" to take charge when it comes to venturing into the unknown. "I, for one, hope we do not chance upon bandits... Unless they are asleep. Then they would be easy pickings for experts of war, such as you here assembled. I know Lew would probably prefer combat of a more honorable nature but... Bandits are not honorable, so they should not be treated with the dignity befitting settled city folk, like ourselves."

Meltheim
2014-07-30, 06:09 PM
All - [The Triboar Trail]

The party spends another night in the wilderness, now more than halfway toward their goal - Phandalin. The Triboar Trail snakes ahead of them, heading eastward. The trail, so named due to a nearby lord who apparently slew three boars in one expedition, is far less traveled, and not maintained officially by the magistrates in the region.

The morning comes and the party once again sets off. The road is hard going, and after a few hours the party finds themselves sore. Those riding in the cart feel bruised from bouncing along the rocky road, and those walking have aching calves from the uneven terrain.

After about a half-day's travel, the party comes around a bend in the road to see a shocking site. Two dead horses sprawled across the path, each sprouting several black-feathered arrows. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets to either side.

Tegu8788
2014-07-30, 06:40 PM
Lewis Poole - [The Triboar Trail]

Seeing the slaughtered horses ahead of him, Lewis pulls the reins back, halting his mount. ""This, is quite bad. Jasper, Star, would you be so kind as to investigate this, eh, roadblock? Tybalt, Baruk, would you prepare yourself however it is you need?" Having said all this, he dismounts, and lashes his horse to the cart. He holds his axe at the ready, because beyond telling others to do stuff, he really had no idea what to do in this situation. He couldn't be certain, but this certainly did not appear to be good.

Felhammer
2014-07-30, 06:59 PM
AIRESS

The halfling stands up in the wagon when she sees the sight before her. "Hold Jasper. Trouble is afoot." Airess draws her shortbow and knocks an arrow. "What creature would slay two perfectly fine horses, and leave them to rot in the road?"

She looks over at Lew and nods. Putting her bow away, she draws a dagger, hops off the cart and walks into the underbrush at the side of the road, blending in to the woodland like a chameleon. She pad foots her way through the forest up to where the horses are.

[roll0]

Meltheim
2014-07-31, 12:14 AM
All - [Triboar Trail]

Airess's small stature aids her in her attempts to hide, and she quickly disappears into the heavy growth on the side of the road.

Right now you're on the edge of the road, about 30 feet from the dead horses. You see that the horses each have a half-dozen black-fletched arrows in them. The saddlebags are open and appear to have been looted as well. There are some other items on the ground near the corpses, but you can't tell much else unless you get closer.

You can make a DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) check to try and get more info from where you are, or you can come out of your hiding spot and observe directly without any check needed.

Felhammer
2014-07-31, 12:53 AM
AIRESS

The halfling is horrified by terrible deed some uncaring bandits have committed (even more sad that the saddlebags have already been pilfered). Sighing, Airess pad foots out of the forest and over to the horses to investigate them more thoroughly.

Meltheim
2014-07-31, 02:14 AM
All - [Triboar Trail]

As Airess comes out of the brush, Jasper thinks he spies some movement maybe 15 feet behind her. It's possible it was just the wind, of course. Airess makes her way to the emptied saddlebags and is able to confirm that the horses have been killed by the arrows alone, and that they've been dead about a day.

On the ground near the saddlebags, she sees what appears to be a leather map case. The case bears the same seal on the side of their cart, giving Airess the impression that it belonged to a member of the Rockseeker clan.

Gavran
2014-07-31, 07:10 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Pulling a thin strip of leather from a pouch on his belt as a focus, Tybalt ties it around his wrist and murmurs an incantation in his native tongue. As he finishes, a shimmering light cascades over his robes - now imbued with magically enhanced hardness. Now properly prepared, he moves closer to the fallen horses and carefully performs his own examination of the scene and surrounding area, trying to determine as much as he can about their death.

Mage Armor cast. 1 spell remaining. Effective AC is 15 for 8 hours.

Intelligence (Investigation): [roll0] (+3 Int mod, +5 investigation proficiency)

Hoping to answer:
- Are the arrows all on the same flank, or were they shot from both sides?
- How many footprints are visible? (If that doesn't fall under tracking type stuff and a different skill)
- How far does it seem the horses made it before they died? (Does it seem like they were brought down slowly by a few persistent archers or quickly by a well-timed volley?)
- How precisely clustered are the shots? (How accurate were the archers, and does it seem more like a volley or a few men shooting multiple arrows at fleeing targets?)
- Anything a wizard who is smarter than me might figure out if I rolled really well. :P

Wdwune
2014-07-31, 11:12 AM
Jasper - [Triboar Trail]

As suggested by Airess, Jasper pulls the reins and instinctively draws his bow and one arrow. He nods at Lewis and, silently, he looks for a near spot to watch without been seen. He attempts to follow Airess' movements, and he's ready to fire an arrow at the first suspicious thing he sees. Or at least at their feet to scare them down.

Draw bow and arrow.

Move to get cover, in a close, high place preferently (use the Hide action)
· Stealth: [roll0]

Keep my ayes on Airess' position (if possible)
· Perception: [roll1]

Ready an action:
· Trigger: When I see anything suspicious (that's not Airess or neither of us)
· Action: Fire an arrow (no target specified)

Meltheim
2014-07-31, 11:48 AM
All - [Triboar Trail]

The party begins their investigation of the area.

Airess learns that the saddlebags were looted, and sees an empty map case belonging to the Rockseeker Clan.

Tybalt can tell the following:

Each horse only has arrows on one side - the side facing the overgrowth and forest on the side of the road (the outside of the horses, if you will)
The hoofprints don't extend very far, it looks like the first couple of arrows hobbled the horses, bringing them down. The scuff marks in the dirt indicate the horses probably bled out slowly, struggling.
There are two pairs of boot prints, one smaller and one quite large, and a smattering smaller footprints, similar in size to a Halfling's, and of bare feet, not boots.
There is an arrow in the rear and front leg of each horse, plus two in the middle. One of the horses has an arrow wound but no arrow, though the small amount of cloth sticking out indicates that it likely punctured the leg of the rider and that the rider was taken somewhere with the arrow still in his/her leg.
It definitely looks like a precision ambush by between 2 and 4 individuals

Jasper jumps off the cart and looks for a suitable place to hide, but finds that the brush extending off the road is too low for someone of his stature to really hide behind. The trees further away are a better bet, but they are significantly off the road. As soon as he steps off the road, however, he hears a high pitched shriek as two greenish/brownish creatures burst forth from hiding and rush toward Airess and Tybalt, swords drawn.

Please roll initiative :redcloak:

Two goblins are attacking, with Surprise. They will go first, and then usual initiative will happen. I will group you guys into 2 groups, based on the average roll. We will then alternate turns. You can go in any order, so long as it is your group's turn. When it is your turn, if you cast a spell that requires the enemy to make a save, you can roll the save using the modifiers listed on the Combat sheet. For example, if it says "-1" under DEX and you are casting a spell that requires a DEX save, then you can roll 1d20-1. Remember, the save has to meet or exceed your Spell DC, which is a fixed number.

This is our first combat in D&D Next, so feel free to ask lots of questions!

On your turn you can Move, take an Action, and take a Bonus Action. You can move before or after your attack, or you can split your move up. If you have a move of 30', then that translates to 6 squares. You can move 3 squares, attack, then move 3 squares away. If you are adjacent to an enemy and move away without Disengaging, then the enemy can take an opportunity attack on you. Disengage is the new 'shift' and uses the entire move action.

Meltheim
2014-07-31, 12:21 PM
Combat - Surprise Round

Airess inspects the area around the horses, turning her back to the wilderness. Suddenly, a greenish/brownish creature with a sharp nose, beady eyes and sparse black hair jumps out, lunging at her with a short sword.

On the other side of the horses, Tybalt's protective armor glows around him. As he kneels down to study the footprints, he realizes they look similar to that of Goblins. Before he can shout a word of warning, another of the little creatures bursts forth, sprinting towards him.

Goblin 1
Move: Walk to O14
Action: Short Sword vs Airess

Attack: [roll0] vs AC
Hit: 5 slashing damage

Goblin 2
Move: Walk to M11
Action: Short Sword vs Tybalt

Attack: [roll1] vs AC

Round 1 - Up Next: Tybalt, Airess, Jasper

Gavran
2014-08-01, 04:13 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Pivoting adroitly as the goblin's blade is deflected by his magic, Tybalt thrusts his open palm out at the goblin's chest and unleashes a current of conjured lightning through it.

Action: Shocking Grasp vs Goblin 2
Attack:[roll0] vs AC
Damage: [roll1] Lightning damage
Hit: The target cannot take reactions until the start of its next turn.

If the attack hits, I'll edit in a retreat (because OAs are reactions, yeah?)

Edit: Okay, I can't actually input to the sheet currently. :p Access requested. In the meantime I'll assume a 9 doesn't hit, and... will not take any movement.

Felhammer
2014-08-01, 04:28 AM
AIRESS

The halfling is brutally assaulted by the goblin. Airess recoils, more out of practice and surprise than being truly hurt. The lass calls out, "Lew! Friends! THIS IS AN AMBUSH! She eyes the creatures wearily but hastily decides attack to be the best course of action! Yes attack! Attack is the best way to end the fight. Who says I don't plan things out! She takes her short sword and lunges at the goblin, aiming for his big nosed head!

Attack the goblin 1's AC:

a [roll0]
d [roll1]

Wdwune
2014-08-01, 12:42 PM
Jasper

With his bow ready and one arrow aiming at one goblin, Jasper instinctively fires a quick arrow at the target's throat for a quick death. Then he moves swiftly and attempts to hide behind something more fit for someone of his size.

Fire an arrow at Goblin 2 (with advantage as granted)
· Attack: Best of [roll0] or [roll1] (Critical!)
· Hit: [roll2] 16 piercing dmg

Move away and hide in another spot (if the goblin's still alive)
· Stealth: [roll3]

Meltheim
2014-08-01, 01:13 PM
Combat - Round 1 (Enemy 2)

Jasper crouches down on the side of the cart, doing his best to hide from any other goblins waiting in the tall grass.

Suddenly, two arrows fly from the brush, one impaling Lew's horse in the eye, the other hitting the cart next to Jasper's head. Two more goblins poke their heads up from the grass and fire away at the party once more from either side of the cart. They then crouch back down, doing their best to remain hidden.

Goblin Bow 1
Action: Shortbow vs Lew

Hit: 5 piercing damage
Bonus Action: Hide (Stealth) [roll1] vs DC 13
Move: Walk to J17

Goblin Bow 2
Action: Shortbow vs Jasper

Attack: [roll2] vs AC
Bonus Action: Hide (Stealth) [roll3] vs DC 13
Move: Walk to ?? (hidden)

Round 1 - Up Next: Baruk, Lew

dariathalon
2014-08-01, 02:13 PM
Baruk

Baruk rushes around to the front of the cart as quickly as his little dwarven legs would carry him. Spotting a goblin standing in the tall weeds at the side of the road, Baruk pauses saying a short prayer. A beam of brilliantly burning light descends from the heavens shining it's wrathful glow on the goblin, but the goblin sees it coming just in time to step aside from the light.

Move: to position shown on map. If I read things correctly diagonals still only count for 1, but cannot be taken around the edge of obstacles (like the cart). Also, I can move through allies spaces (like Jasper) but it counts as difficult terrain now.

Attack: Sacred Flame on Goblin Bow 1. This spell specifies the target gains no benefit from cover for the saving throw, so I am rolling the base numbers provided on the spreadsheet. [roll0]. If it hits it does [roll1].

Tegu8788
2014-08-01, 08:02 PM
Lewis - [Triboar Trail]

Seeing an arrow embed itself into his fourth favorite horse, Lewis sets his glare on the only goblin he could see. Pulling his axe over his shoulder, he marches over, and slashes his his ancestral blade at his shriveled foe.

Move: Walk to I16
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] slashing

Felhammer
2014-08-01, 10:17 PM
AIRESS

The rogue spots the dastardly goblin who is attacking Lew. I could use my bow... Or rush in and save the noble... Bows are fun but... Daggers are double fun! She runs over as fast as her halfling legs will take her then jabs her short sword into his back.

Airess Short Sword v Goblin's AC

a [roll0]
d [roll1] Piercing damage

Gavran
2014-08-01, 11:32 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"Magnificent shot, Jasper!" Now free of the immediate danger of being stabbed, Tybalt scans the battlefield for more of the wretched little creatures. Sighting the goblin battling Lew and Star, he channels a beam of frozen energy in its direction.

Wisdom (Perception) [roll0]

Action: Ray of Frost vs Goblin Bow 2 1
Attack: [roll1] vs AC +2
Damage: [roll2] cold damage
Hit: Target's speed is reduced by 10 ft until the start of my next turn.

Movement: The minimum necessary to get in range (60 ft) of Goblin Bow 2

I'm assuming my blue laser-pointer is functional as a targeting device to call out the goblin's location. :p

Wdwune
2014-08-02, 10:50 AM
Jasper

Jasper grins in response to Tybalt's praise. However, he remains silent as he attempts to search for any hidden goblins. There's at least one of them snipping from the bushes, I know it.

Stay in my spot and roll Perception: [roll0]

If I succeed, I'll shout: "There!" and point at its location.

Meltheim
2014-08-03, 12:50 AM
Combat - Round 2 (Enemy 2)

Despite their best efforts, the party is neither able to locate the hidden goblin or take down the visible one. The goblins continue with their own attacks, using their stealth and sprightly nature to press the advantage as best they can.

This time, however, both arrows go wide, and both goblins are left out in the open.

Goblin Bow 1
Bonus Action: Disengage
Move: Walk to N16
Action: Shortbow vs Tybalt

Goblin Bow 2
Action: Shortbow vs Baruk

Bonus Action: Hide (Stealth) [roll2]vs DC 13
Move: Walk to O6 (hidden)

Up Next
Round 2: PC 2 (Baruk, Lew)
Round 3: PC 1 (Airess, Tybalt, Jasper), Enemy 2 (Goblin Bow 1, Goblin Bow 2)

dariathalon
2014-08-03, 03:51 AM
Baruk

Baruk continues to advance, quietly cursing the archers under his breath. He calls another beam of light from the sky attempting to burn the recently revealed goblin with its golden radiance. But again, the quick moving goblin is able to jump out of the way. Baruk's cursing of the goblins becomes significantly louder.

Move: Move 5 forward to position shown.

Attack: Sacred Flame on Goblin Bow 2. Again this cantrip ignores cover.
1d20 (Rerolled in OOC since this roll didn't work. Resulted in 17, so he saved). If hit, the goblin takes [roll1]

Tegu8788
2014-08-03, 09:58 AM
Lewis

Aggravated that goblin that wounded his horse is still standing, Lewis marches over again and attempts to cleave the little foul beast. "You shan't escape my might a second time!"

Move: walk to M16
Damage: [roll1] slashing

Gavran
2014-08-03, 11:46 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

As Lew's axe hews through its target, Tybalt refocuses his attention, and his magic, at the goblin on the other side of the road. With a word, three opalescent spheres of energy shimmer into existence and immediately arc through the air, slamming into the goblin archer with lethal force.

Action: Magic Missile vs Goblin Bow 2
Damage: [roll0] + 3 force damage

Both spell slots expended until short rest/Arcane Recovery.

Tegu8788
2014-08-03, 05:11 PM
Lewis Poole

Taking a moment to properly clean off his axe, Lewis walks back to his horse, to see how grievous the wound it received actually is.

[roll0]

Meltheim
2014-08-03, 06:07 PM
All - [Triboar Trail]

Lew's examination of his horse reveals that the black-fletched arrow has gone clean through his eye, and likely into its brain. The horse's breathing is very shallow and labored, and it doesn't move when Lew approaches. It's likely that it won't survive. Thankfully, the saddlebags work as a makeshift backpack, and Lew should be able to soldier on without the horse. The arrow was shot with skill and expertise, and considering the information Tybalt gleaned from the other fallen horses, it's likely that the goblins had the ambush planned well in advance.

Felhammer
2014-08-03, 08:52 PM
Airess

Airess walks over to each goblin in turn and rummages around a bit to see if they have any goods worth pocketing.

Investigation: [roll0]

Meltheim
2014-08-03, 09:30 PM
All - [Triboar Trail]

Airess makes her way from goblin to goblin. Each seems to be dressed mostly in rags, wearing scraps of leather as some sort of armor. Each goblin has a short sword, a short bow and a handful of arrows. The two archer goblins are found near what appear to be blinds - flattened areas of brush behind which they can hide and ambush unsuspecting travelers. The blind on the northern side appears connected to a trail that leads away northwest.

The armor is mostly worthless, but the short swords and short bows might sell for 40gp total. The arrows could be reused, and there are about a dozen of them left.

Anyone can make a Wisdom (Survival) check - DC 10 - to learn more about the trail.

Felhammer
2014-08-03, 10:24 PM
AIRESS

The halfling puts the arrows in her quiver and puts one of the short swords on her belt. She deposits the remaining swords and bows in the wagon. She offhandedly mentioned to the party, "There's some trail up yonder. I'm not one for woodlands. Perhaps one of you could see where the path goes?"

dariathalon
2014-08-04, 05:45 AM
Baruk - [Triboar Trail]

As Airess returns to the wagon, Baruk looks over her injuries. "You know, Miss Airess, I have some healing magic if you feel like you need it. From the looks of things, a little rest will probably get you right as rain, but if you need more all you have to do is ask. I'll go look at the trail while you get that stuff stowed away," he says indicating her handful of swords and bows.

Baruk hikes up the side of the trail through the thick weeds to where the trail leads off into the trees. He looks down the trail, trying to determine what he can about the path.

Wisdom (Survival) check: [roll0]

Gavran
2014-08-04, 08:48 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

With the battle concluded, Tybalt returns to the fallen horses and picks up the map case and checks if its contents were plundered along with the saddlebags'.

Meltheim
2014-08-04, 09:51 AM
All - [Triboar Trail]

Now that he has an idea of what he might be looking for, Baruk is easily able to discern the tracks of perhaps a dozen different goblins using the trail, including the four that the party just recently encountered. Additionally, there are what appear to be signs of two human bodies bound and dragged away down the trail.

Tybalt sees that the map case is indeed empty, as are the saddlebags. The horses were thoroughly looted by the goblins who set the ambush.

You are more than welcome to pack up and continue down the road to Phandalin - if you cleared the horses off the road you could get there by nightfall. Otherwise, you can try to park the cart off the side of the road and continue down the goblin trail to track them a bit.

Felhammer
2014-08-04, 10:38 AM
AIRESS

The halfling smiles at Baruk, "One of those goblins grazed my arm. I'm not usually caught off guard like that... If your god allows you to heal the wounded, then I would sing his praises."

Tegu8788
2014-08-04, 11:44 AM
Lewis Poole - [Triboar Trail]

Seeing that is stead is not long for the world, Lewis pulls out one of his javelins, and carefully patting the horse's flank, he quickly inserts the blade into the heart, giving it a sharp twist, and ending the pain.

Wdwune
2014-08-04, 12:32 PM
Jasper - [Triboar Trail]

Jasper couldn't avoid showing a smile of satisfaction: The first step of becoming a hero was just flawless.

"I'll go with you," says Jasper as he withdraws his bow and helps Baruk in following the trail.

Survival check to support Baruk and see if I can get additional info: [roll0]

However, I'll keep my eyes open: Perception: [roll1]

Also, just in case, I'd like to roll Investigation to check the corpses, and their time of death if possible: [roll2]

Meltheim
2014-08-05, 04:53 PM
All - Triboar Trail

Jasper and Baruk are able to follow the trail for a minute or so, before realizing that it seems to be leading northward to something resembling either a large hill or a small mountain. It is maybe 5 miles off, and the party could reach it in a couple of hours on foot.

dariathalon
2014-08-05, 10:42 PM
Baruk

"C'mon," Baruk says to Jasper. "We'd better talk this over with the others."

Baruk trudges back along the trail, after seeing where it led. Upon returning to the party he announces, "We've got a decision to make. The trail looks like it leads to a big hill a couple hours north of here. Probably the goblins' lair, I'd reckon. And it looks like near a dozen of the little buggers took the riders there. We can follow them and hope they haven't killed the riders yet, but if we do we have to leave the wagon and supplies Cousin Gundren needs here and hope no one comes along the road to find it. Or we can continue along our road and deliver the supplies, and maybe come back."

He tugs his beard as he thinks over the two options. "My vote is for continuing forward. Cousin Gundren needs these things, and I don't want to be responsible for seeing them get stolen. If they've kept the riders alive this long, they probably aren't in immediate danger. And if they've already killed them, the extra time won't matter much." He looks at the others sheepishly, "Though I'll do whatever you all decide is best."

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 12:41 AM
AIRESS

The halfling half-listens to the dwarf speak. She pipes up at the end, "Indeed, let us go hunt some bandits so as to give our good friend Baruk more tales of goblin slaying and martial might so that he may regale us of his bravery at some point in the future at some indeterminate campfire in some far off land!"

Tegu8788
2014-08-06, 08:23 AM
Lewis Poole

"I am with Baruk. I see no reason to divert from our main objective. My family's honor is waiting for me, and once the many people that need these supplies are taken care of, then we can return and remove this goblin blemish from this land. It does need being done, but priorities must be in place."

Gavran
2014-08-06, 01:35 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"We were able to terminate the ambush party with minimal consequence, but nonetheless we are only five in number. In addition, we are carrying enough supplies that we would aid the goblins more in failure than in allowing them time to regroup. I recommend we continue to Phandalin, but remember this place so that Gundren can send others here if whatever was lost to him is important enough to require it."

Finished with his suggestion Tybalt slips the emblazoned map case among the other supplies, climbs onto the cart and begins poring through his spellbook.

Assuming we're continuing on, since it's 3 for it, I'll start my short rest for Arcane Recovery now. Taking the map case to deliver to Gundren.

Question - unless it's location is lost, Tybalt should know where Cragmaw Castle is, right? If so, would its proximity (or lack thereof) help him decide if these goblins are connected to the ones that took it over?

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 02:24 PM
AIRESS

Friends! We should investigate this goblin threat and ensure they do not regroup and redouble their banditry. Those people these goblins have kidnapped need to be saved!" She looks over at the dwarven cleric and says, "If they are already dead, then their bodies deserve a proper burial!

dariathalon
2014-08-06, 03:27 PM
Baruk

"Yes, they do. And I'll be happy to give them one. After we get the supplies to town. Would you have us abandon our responsibilities to our employer and my clanmate to head off into the woods on a whim? I have no problem with going, but I don't think now is the time. What about you, Jasper? You were so pleased to be hired for this mission, are you so ready to abandon your orders?"

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 04:16 PM
AIRESS

Seeing that her gambit to getting the others to trek off into the wilderness in order to find the looted items has come to not, the halfling shrugs, "I suppose those folks can enjoy a night of goblinoid hospitality. No skin off my nose." Airess walks over to the largest tree beside the road and carves a big "X" in it. "Well, at least we'll know where to start if we ever bother coming back." The rogue hops back into the cart and looks expectantly at Jasper, "Let us go to town. I am eager to see my Aunt." Airess pulls the hood of her cloak up over her head and waits for the group to mosey down the trail. "Now I just need to avoid being seen by those Redbrands as I search for this Halia Thornton..."

Meltheim
2014-08-06, 04:28 PM
All - [Triboar Trail]

The rest of the party takes time to drag the fallen horses off to the side of the road, clearing a way for the cart while Airess sits up front and watches. After a few minutes of effort, the road is cleared and the party resumes their trek, this time with Lewis on foot.

Hours pass before the rutted track emerges from a wooded hillside, and the party catches their first glimpse of Phandalin. The town consists of forty or fifty simple log buildings, some built on old fieldstone foundations. More old ruins - crumbling stone walls covered in ivy and briars - surround the newer houses and shops, showing how this must have been a much larger town in centuries past. Most of the newer buildings are set on the sides of the cart track, which widens into a muddy main street of sorts as it climbs toward a ruined manor house on a hillside at the east side of town.

As you approach, you see children playing on the town green and townsfolk tending to chores or running errands at shops. Many people look up as you approach, but all return to their business as you go by.

Map of Phandalin added to Google Doc

Felhammer
2014-08-06, 04:31 PM
AIRESS

The halfling pulls her hood farther over her head, in an effort to obscure her face.

Tegu8788
2014-08-07, 01:03 PM
Lewis Poole

Upon finally reaching the edge of Phandalin, Lewis begins looking for any signs of his old dwarven friend. If he was going to make this place his home, he would have to start making his presence known. But best to first find a familiar face, and let the introductions begin.

[roll0]

dariathalon
2014-08-07, 01:23 PM
Baruk

As the cart passes by the first business they see, a provisioner's shop, Baruk calls up to Jasper. "Hold on for a moment. I'll see if I can find out where Gundren is."

He steps into the Barthen's Provisions. "Excuse me sir, I'm new in town. I was hoping you might give me directions. I'm here looking for my cousin, Gundren Rockseeker. Do you happen to know where he's staying?"

Meltheim
2014-08-07, 01:51 PM
All - [Phandalin - Barthen's Provisions]

A teenage boy with a mop of dark hair looks up at Baruk's question. "Gundren? Hmm." he rubs his chin thoughtfully for a moment, before he turns and shouts, "Master Barthen, someone's here asking about Gundren." He turns back to Baruk and says, "He'll be out in bit. He can answer your question."

A minute or so passes before an older man comes out. The man is lean, balding, and has a kind, grandfatherly smile. "You asking about Gundren, huh? Well, do you have the cart?" He looks past Baruk to see the cart, sitting in the middle of the street with the other party members nearby. "I was told there'd be five of you, so here's your pay." He reaches into the till and pulls out five small pouches, handing them over the counter to Baruk.

Barthen looks to the clerk who helped Baruk earlier, "Alder, go get Thistle and bring the cart around back. We're gonna hold it until Gundren's here for it." Barthen turns to Baruk, continuing, "Expected to see him and Sildar a few days ago, but they haven't come by yet. Could be they're over at the inn, could be they got held up. I've got a bad feeling about it though - I'm usually the first one he visits when he comes in to town."

Barthen pulls out a small ledger and flips to the page that has the contents of the cart marked on it. "Alder, do a full inventory, wouldya? Make sure its all here." He smiles kindly to Baruk as he does so. "Not that I don't trust you, just with the goblins, bandits and worse out there, I'm surprised you made it here at all. Even though you're here for Gundren, feel free to look around. I've got most of your general provisions, might have a few special things in the back depending on what your needs are. If you're going by the inn, tell Gundren to swing on by and pick up his stuff."

Barthen's Provisions has a wide range of adventuring gear, but no weapons or armor (those are in a separate shop).

dariathalon
2014-08-11, 02:25 AM
Baruk

Baruk accepts the pouches, holding them in one large fist. "Thank you kindly, Master Barthen. I can't think of anything I need at the moment, but I don't know yet what Gundren has in mind for us yet. If we need some more goods, we'll keep you in mind. If you'd like us to wait until you've had a chance to verify the goods in the wagon, we'd be happy to hold on for a few minutes. We did have a bit of trouble with some goblins on the road, but we stomped on them before they got anything."

(After the wagon has been inspected or Barthen excuses Baruk...)

Baruk goes back out to talk to the others. As he speaks, he hands each of them a small bag of gold. "So, Barthen here tells me that the best place to find Gundren is at the inn, but he suspects he might not even be in town. He said he had a bad feeling since Gundren hadn't stopped in for a while. We should go to the inn and find out if he's there."

dariathalon
2014-08-13, 07:34 PM
Baruk

Since no one seems to be forthcoming with their opinions, Baruk says. "Okay then. Come with me to the inn or don't, I'm going there to check on Gundren. Once I've spoken to him or found out he's not there, I'll come back here and we can go back to that goblin encampment if anyone still wants to go. I still think that's a good idea, I just wanted to see our way here first."

With that, Gundren takes off looking for the inn.

Meltheim
2014-08-13, 08:52 PM
Baruk - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

In the center of town stands a large, newly built roadhouse of fieldstone and rough-hewn timbers. The common room is filled with locals nursing mugs of ale or cider, all of them eyeing you with curiosity.

A quick scan of the room reveals an innkeeper standing behind the bar, polishing a mug. He's short, human, and fairly young, but he definitely appears to be in charge. A few barmaids dart around, bringing drinks and plates of food to the locals. The room appears to have a scattering of humans and elves, but Gundren is nowhere to be seen.

Tegu8788
2014-08-13, 11:05 PM
Lewis Poole - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

Lew follows Baruk, and seeing no one he deems worth seeking out, orders a mug of their finest, whatever. Once his beverage is in hand, he'll find a somewhat private, yet visible, place to sit and nurse his drink. He'd been forced to walk the later portion of the journey, something he certainly did not enjoy doing.

Gavran
2014-08-14, 06:20 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Outside Barthen's Provisions, Tybalt accepts his share of the payment and excuses himself.

"Gentlemen, miss Star, you've all my gratitude for your assistance with the ambush on the road. I am however afraid that I have business of the utmost importance here in town, and I must attend to it immediately." He idly fingers the silver scroll-shaped clasp of his cloak as memories play through his mind. "Regarding the goblins, well... there is a possibility that they too are connected to the unfolding events, and I would appreciate it if you delay pursuing them until we've had a chance to speak again. I will return here as soon as it is practical."

At that, the elf heads off toward the town's center, confident that he will find Sister Garaele tending her shrine.

Meltheim
2014-08-14, 09:47 AM
Tybalt - [Phandalin - Shrine of Luck]

Tybalt finds Phandalin's only shrine easily enough. Upon entry, he sees a zealous young elf, Sister Garaele, praying at an alter to Tymora, the goddess of luck and good fortune. "Oh, hello there. Can I help you? She can't help you win your next dice game, but she might make sure you are in the right place at the right time, if you are the adventuring type." she says upon Tybalt's approach, gesturing toward the altar.

Wdwune
2014-08-14, 10:28 AM
Jasper Goodwyl

Jasper gives a thankful smile to Barthen, accepting the coin, but decides to later accept the gear upgrade offer, when he knows what will they be facing. Once Tybalt announce his brief departure, Jasper waves his hand briefly. "Alright, we'll see you later then!" he briefly turns to Lewis, "and you too Mr. Poole!"

"If you don't mind, I'll go with you," he says to Baruk with a curious smile. "I want to see Mr. Gundren too, before doing anything else."

Felhammer
2014-08-14, 11:25 AM
AIRESS

The halfling skulks off to parts unknown. She heads around the bend, to the seedy side of the town, the part of town where her kind of folk like to congregate.

Airess would like to get the latest scuttlebutt on her foes from that organization she was once apart of. Sadly, I cannot open the pre-made PDF at work and I cannot recall the organization's name off the top of my head. :(

dariathalon
2014-08-14, 04:44 PM
Baruk

After a quick scan of the room turns up no Gundren, Baruk walks over to the bartender. " 'scuse me sir. I'm looking for my cousin. I'm told he spends a good deal of time and probably coin here, maybe you know where he is. My cousin's name is Gundren Rockseeker. Or maybe you know his brothers Nundro and Tharden? If you'd like I can describe them to you."

Meltheim
2014-08-14, 05:19 PM
Baruk, Lewis, Jasper - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

"Gundren, yeah, he's got a pair of rooms all paid up through next week. He's a good man, drinks his weight in ale but tells his fair share of stories. He and Sildar haven't checked in though - expected to see them a few days ago. I don't mind taking his coin, but it would be nice if he'd let someone else stay in his rooms if he's not going to use them, you know?. He and his brothers were out here about a month ago. Haven't seen them in few weeks either. Could be they ran into some trouble on the road, could be they just got caught up having fun in Neverwinter." The bartender sets the glass down, then picks up another to polish while he talks.

"Have you checked in with Barthen? He might be over there - heard he was getting a cart of supplies brought in." From out of the kitchens comes a matronly looking woman, her brown hair in a bun with a few tendrils snaking down over her face. She wipes her hands on an apron as she walks over. "Toblen, dear, what are you prattling on about?" Toblen gives her a quick kiss on the cheek. "Trilena, dear I was telling them we haven't seen Gundren come in yet. You haven't seen him, have you? He didn't sneak up while I was making pies this morning?"

Trilena shakes her head, "No, can't say that I have. But you know what it's been like. Goblins, bandits, that sort of thing. Road's not safe for good folk anymore." She leans in toward Baruk, and says in a conspiratorial tone, "Thel Dendrar, one of our woodcarvers, he stood up to those Redbrands a tenday ago when they came by his shop and leered at his wife. Those ruffians murdered him! Several townsfolk saw it happen, but nobody's doing nothing about it. The Redbrands took his body and dragged it off to who knows where. And now his wife, son and daughter have gone missing too!"

Toblen waves his hand in a dismissive fashion, "Now now, don't you be putting ideas in these boys' heads. You know Thel and his family just went off to Neverwinter to sell at the fair. They'll be back in a tenday, you'll see. Goblins and the like . . ." he says the last to himself, polishing yet another glass as he chuckles.

"Anyway, you're welcome to stay in Gundren's rooms if you want, you being his cousin and all. I'm sure he won't mind." Toblen fishes around in his pocket and finds a pair of keys, sliding them over the bar to Baruk. "4th and 5th rooms on the left, upstairs."

Gavran
2014-08-14, 10:36 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt crosses over to the altar and kneels down next to its attendant.

"It is possible your goddess is already exerting influence on the situation. I am actually here seeking you, Sister Garaele. I don't yet know in what way you can help me, but The Lord of Knowledge has been at work in my dreams. I believe I am called to His service, and the visions have directed me... here. Does any of this make sense to you? Have you recently discovered anything that may lie within His domain?"

Meltheim
2014-08-15, 12:07 AM
Airess - [Phandalin]

The halfling makes her way out of the town square, and into a side alley. She keeps her eyes open, and within a few minutes finds what she's looking for - a pair of ruffians with grimy red cloaks, harassing a villager. The two play have taken her basket of goods from the market, and play keep-away with it until it eventually drops onto a puddle in the dirt. They laugh and head off into what appears to be a taphouse, leaving the woman crying as she picks up her sodden groceries. She mutters to herself about the "filthy Redbrands" and looks in Airess' direction. "They've gotten so much worse, haven't they? It seems like Halia is the only one who stands up to them anymore." Not waiting for a response, the woman takes her provisions and heads home, shaking her head all the while.

Looking back at the taphouse, Airess recognizes a small symbol carved near the door, just out of eyeline for taller folks.

The symbol you see is two interlocking circles, one above the other (similar to the number "8"). You recognize this as a sign that hobos and thieves use to indicate that a house or business is "hospitable" to your kind, and is a place to lay low or meet up without fear of prying eyes.

"It is possible your goddess is already exerting influence on the situation. I am actually here seeking you, Sister Garaele. I don't yet know in what way you can help me, but The Lord of Knowledge has been at work in my dreams. I believe I am called to His service, and the visions have directed me... here. Does any of this make sense to you? Have you recently discovered anything that may lie within his domain?"

"You don't say?" the woman looks at Tybalt curiously. "Well, I was recently tasked with the recovery of a spellbook belonging to the great Bowgentle, though I would be surprised if Oghma was so specific in your dream. It's rather an interesting and delicate situation, really. We do not know where the spellbook is, but we know of a banshee who may be persuaded to give us information about its whereabouts. Curious, no?"

Smiling as she extends a hand to help Tybalt to his feet, Sister Garaele continues, "My superiors and I believe that, were we to flatter the banshee, Agatha, were we to flatter her enough, it is possible that she might perform an act of divination for us. And while we could ask her about a great deal many things, the recovery of this spellbook is paramount to my . . . to my superiors." Sister Garaele looks Tybalt up and down, noticing the bit of travel dust on his cloak. "You look the adventuring type - is this something you would be willing to help me with? I can't offer you much, but maybe a few potions of healing for your efforts? If you are successful at getting an answer, that is. I don't expect you to get the book for me!"

Gavran
2014-08-15, 05:44 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"Adventurer is perhaps inaccurate, I fear. I feel I'm more a student... but I trust in the divinity that led me here. And I must recognize - the pursuit of lost knowledge - Oghma's hand in this is hardly concealed. What more can you tell me of Agatha? And your plans to uh, flatter her?"

dariathalon
2014-08-15, 07:20 AM
Baruk

Baruk takes the keys as they are slid across the counter to him. "Thank you kindly, sir. Unfortunately, I probably won't be sleeping in them either. I don't intend to be resting much myself until I find out what's happened to Gundren. I'm worried about my cousin. We just came from Barthen's and he hasn't seen him either. Still, I appreciate the keys. I think I'll go up to the rooms and see if he left anything there that we can use to track him down."

He looks to Trilena, "Have things really gotten that bad? I'd heard the Redbrands were causing some trouble around here, but I didn't know they were openly killing folks in the streets. It's a shame when a group of thugs gets it in their heads to start pushing people around just because they can. Inconsiderate and irresponsible." Baruk pounds his fist on the bar as he makes his point. "If there is anything I can do about them, I surely will, but first I'm worried about Cousin Gundren."

After speaking with the couple, Baruk heads upstairs to check out the rooms for any clues.

Meltheim
2014-08-15, 11:12 AM

"Adventurer is perhaps inaccurate, I fear. I feel I'm more a student... but I trust in the divinity that led me here. And I must recognize - the pursuit of lost knowledge - Oghma's hand in this is hardly concealed. What more can you tell me of Agatha? And your plans to uh, flatter her?"

"Well," Sister Garaele begins, walking back toward a desk set in the corner of the shrine, "I did my best with words of praise and that didn't go over too well. We were thinking something of intrinsic value, which is befitting a lady of her stature." She pulls out a large silver comb - easily worth its weight in gold if not more. "If you were to be polite and respectful, and give her this, she might be won over. The rule would still be the same, however, in that she would only answer one question. This is true regardless of how much she adores you." Sister Garaele gives Tybalt a smile. "I can give you directions, and the comb, if you promise that you will do this for me. Of course, nothing would stop you from selling the comb and giving me false information ... but I suspect that the comb has less value to you than the knowledge of a lost relic."

Sister Garaele crosses the small room and presses the comb into Tybalt's hand. "So, will you do this for me?"

Gavran
2014-08-17, 06:23 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"Your conclusion is reasonable, and I do believe it is a worthy task. There is but one modest complication - it is possible that an incident that occurred during my travel was also a component of Oghma's plan and I may - after deliberation with some tentative allies - have to prioritize attending to that issue." Tybalt leaves his arm extended, offering the Sister the chance to reclaim the comb. "If that would prove too much an inconvenience I could return to claim the trinket when I am certain I can make it my first concern."

Tegu8788
2014-08-17, 08:26 AM

Finding his cup empty, Lew orders another drink. He is enjoying the chance to relax, but if something of importance does not occur soon, he will have to take action himself.

[roll0] to look for something going on.

Meltheim
2014-08-17, 11:27 AM

"If that would prove too much an inconvenience I could return to claim the trinket when I am certain I can make it my first concern."

Sister Garaele accepts the comb, and tells Tybalt to return to her as soon as she is able, "with your companions, if they can aid you in this task."

Lewis - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

The noble does his best to quiet his mind and listen in to the world around him, trying to pick out anything worthy of his attention. He hears bits of conversation here and there from the smallfolk, as he watches Jasper and Baruk ascend the stairwell with keys in hand.

An old farmer: "Sister Garaele, blah blah blah Shrine of Luck, blah blah blah a few days. blah blah blah wounded and exhausted!"

A rough-looking commoner: "Orc raiders blah blah blah east end of the Triboar Trail. Townmaster is looking blah blah blah run them off."

A seamstress-looking old woman: "The Redbrands blah blah blah in town, blah blah blah Miner's Exchange. blah blah blah mess with Halia."

Wdwune
2014-08-19, 11:40 AM
Jasper

Jasper accompanies Baruk to the inn. When he sees the innkeeper, he gives a friendly hand wave to Toblen and Trilena, and lets Baruk do all the talking, ocassionally smiling in approval.

He accompanies Baruk upstairs, but stays behind, slightly doubtful. "Do you want me to accompany you, or do you wish this encounter to be a private familiar moment?"

dariathalon
2014-08-19, 05:01 PM
Baruk

Baruk climbs the stairs, key in hand. "You can come along, sure. Its just an inn room, not our ancestral halls, so nothing really to it. I doubt Gundren would leave anything out he wouldn't want seen. It may do good to have a second set of eyes looking round for clues about where he might have gotten himself off to." Finding the correct door, Baruk slips the key into the lock and tries to open the door.

Gavran
2014-08-20, 09:41 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"I will, certainly. Thank you."
Tybalt excuses himself from the shrine and heads back toward Barthen's Provisions to await the others.

Meltheim
2014-08-20, 02:01 PM
Tybalt and Lewis - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

When the wizard makes his way back to Barthen's, he is redirected toward Stonehill Inn, where it appears most of his companions have headed. Upon entering the inn, Tybalt sees Lewis in the back, nursing a drink and doing his best not to obviously listen to the crowd around him. Baruk, Jasper and Airess are nowhere to be seen.

Baruk and Jasper - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

The key slides into the lock and turns with a satisfying *click*. As the door swings open, the men notice immediately that the accommodations are simple, but sufficient. Two beds, a wash basin, a small bureau and a chamber pot make up the furnishings in the room. A window looks out onto the town square, and the hustle and bustle of the small city can be seen. Jasper witnesses a brief altercation involving some red-cloaked thugs and a woman with a basket of groceries, but nothing else of interest.

As Baruk scans the room, he finds that it looks unused. Everything is clean, tucked in, put away, and swept clear. The wash basin and chamber pot are both dry, indicating that nobody has been in these rooms in the past couple of days.

dariathalon
2014-08-22, 09:44 PM
Baruk

Baruk takes a few minutes poking around the room. He looks in drawers, checks under the bed, and the like. He mutters to himself as he searches for any clues.

Seems like either of these might be appropriate [roll0] or [roll1].

The rest of this post assumes he doesn't find anything since your post leads me to think there isn't anything to find. If he does find something, I'll come back and revise it.

Finding nothing, Baruk looks back at Jasper. "This is a bust. Though as I was looking, I had a chilling thought. What if Gundren was the rider of one of those horses we found back on the road? I mean people say he's been gone for awhile and they expected him back sooner. And I don't think he would have missed our arrival unless it was important. I think maybe we'd better go back to investigate as soon as we can."

Wdwune
2014-08-25, 10:43 AM
Jasper - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

"Are we in the right room?" Jasper says looking around. "Toblen told us Gundred has two rooms, the fourth and the fifth. We should check the other one, just in case."

"Did the innkeeper give you a key for this other room too?" He says as he steps out of the room and gently knocks the door of the adjacent room (which is hopefully labeled as fourth or fifth).

Meltheim
2014-08-25, 11:22 AM
Baruk and Jasper - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

The other room is nearly identical, though the view looks into open fields instead.

Baruk's guess, coupled with the other clues, seem to indicate that the ambush site and the dead horses you all came across likely belonged to Gundren and Sildar. It appears as if they never made it to Phandalin.

It is at this moment that Baruk notices the empty map case bears the Rockseeker seal - further corroborating this line of thinking. You know that Gundren had something big planned, and that his cart was full of mining supplies. It could be that the goblins knew it too.

Meltheim
2014-08-27, 02:16 PM
All - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

While conversing downstairs, Lew and Tybalt turn toward the door just in time to see Barthen walk in. He has a sack of something over his shoulder, and takes it over behind the bar. He and Toblen shake hands, and they discuss something. Toblen indicates Lew and Tybalt with his head, and Barthen looks over, nodding. He smiles and claps Toblen on the shoulder, bidding the bartender farewell.

Barthen walks over to where Lew and Tybalt sit, "So, Gundren's not here eh? Well now I'm getting worried. You fellas have any trouble on the way in? There's a chance he could have been attacked - roads are getting worse lately. Between the goblins and the Redbrands, it's getting harder for folks to just be, you know?"

dariathalon
2014-08-27, 06:30 PM
Baruk

"Well this doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere either," Baruk says of their survey of the second room. He tugs his beard as he contemplates what this might mean. "Let's get back downstairs and see what the others have gotten themselves into. We can probably convince them to come along back to the goblins to look for them. Except maybe that halfling, she seemed pretty flighty to me."

Tegu8788
2014-08-28, 09:52 AM
Lewis Poolel - [Phandalin - Stonehill Inn]

"So, Gundren's not here eh? Well now I'm getting worried. You fellas have any trouble on the way in? There's a chance he could have been attacked - roads are getting worse lately. Between the goblins and the Redbrands, it's getting harder for folks to just be, you know?"

Finishing his drink, Lew responds, "We did see signs of trouble on the road. With our current obligations fulfilled, and no sign of Gundren to deliver, I see no reason to not go back and start clearing out the dregs from this community. If I am going to rule this land, I am going to have to bring order to sooner or later." Having made his mind up and announced it with a declaration befitting his stature, he waits for those around him to lend him their aide.

Gavran
2014-08-28, 12:44 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Noticing Baruk and Jasper coming down the stairs, Tybalt waves to draw their attention.

"Let us hear what those two have discovered before we make our decision."

dariathalon
2014-08-28, 09:50 PM
Baruk

Seeing Tybalt and Lewis at the same table, Baruk marches straight over to them as soon as he gets down the steps. "It didn't look like Gundren has been up to his room, or at least hasn't been up there for a time. I'm beginning to wonder if those horses on the road belonged to him. The map case had the Rockseeker seal on it. Nobody around here seems to know what's happened. We should go back to track down those goblins as soon as possible."

Wdwune
2014-08-29, 09:50 AM
Jasper

"You don't think Gundren was... abducted by those goblins...?" Jasper mutters with a shocked expression, which changes to a frustrated look on his face. "We should have followed our instincts and followed the trail we fond earlier," he adds as he clenches his fist.

He knows he didn't have a choice, since taking the cart to the town has priority. With an oustanding ability to control his guilt, he took those harmful thoughts away and focused on the duty ahead. "I totally support Baruk's resolve. Let's hunt some goblins."

Tegu8788
2014-08-29, 05:02 PM

"Goblins are foul creatures. We shall rid this hamlet of them. Once Gundren has been rescued and my position here confirmed, I shall see to it each of you are rewarded. Now, someone find that halfling girl, Star. She was handy during the brawl on the road, I would have her aid again. Did any of you see which way she went off to?"

dariathalon
2014-08-31, 01:21 PM
Baruk - [Phandalin Stonehill Inn]

Baruk shakes his head. "Nope. I didn't see. She split off from us pretty much as soon as we hit town. And honestly, I don't think I want to waste the time looking for her. A flighty little thing like her, whose to say where she would have gotten herself off to. We could spend all day searching for her and never find her, or maybe we'll find her in five minutes. There's just no way to be sure. Or we could take off back toward the goblins, maybe leave word here and at Barthen's so if she comes looking for us and has a mind to follow she can." He shrugs his shoulders and pulls on his beard. "I'm not sure what's best, but whatever we do, we'd better get to it." He looks at Lewis, as if expecting the nobleman to take charge of the situation any moment.

Tegu8788
2014-08-31, 06:23 PM

"Right then. Let us be off!" Lew pays his tab, and throws an extra coin to the barkeep. If he was going to run this place, it would help to have the populace like him.

Meltheim
2014-09-01, 01:40 AM
All - [Triboar Trail]

The group makes their way, slowly but surely, back to the spot of the ambush. Jasper is first to notice that the goblin bodies are gone, even though the group had only left them a day before. There are dozens of footprints around where the bodies were kept, and trail sign points to the bodies being dragged away for a bit, before they were picked up and carried.

The trail heads northwest, and is easy enough to follow, though by now the sun is getting low on the horizon. Night will fall in the next hour, and there is no way of telling how long the trail goes.

Meltheim
2014-09-04, 12:45 PM
All - [Triboar Trail]

The night passes uneventfully and the party finds themselves awoken by the sound of birds chirping. As the sun peeks over the hills, Jasper easily finds the goblin trail from the day before.

Everyone ready to move on?

dariathalon
2014-09-04, 06:52 PM
Baruk - [Triboar Trail]

Baruk looks down the trail before them. "Everyone keep an eye out. If the corpses are gone, the goblins are probably still using this trail pretty regularly. We might run into some more of them. And keep an eye out for traps too. I wouldn't put it past the sneaky little buggers." As Baruk begins to walk down the trail, he puts his own advice into practice, staying as alert as possible.

Yep, I'm ready to go.

Wdwune
2014-09-05, 11:55 AM
Jasper- [Triboar Trail]

With the halfling lady gone, apparently the scouting tasks are now weighting on Jasper's shoulders. Confidently, he takes point and once he finds the tracks, he draws his bow and nods to his teammates.

I'm ready too! :smallsmile:

Perception to stay alert: [roll0]

Meltheim
2014-09-05, 01:05 PM
All - [Goblin Trail]

The trail shows signs of perhaps a dozen goblins walking and two larger creatures being dragged. The trail is narrow, and although goblins can walk abreast, the party finds it easier to walk single file to avoid getting entangled in the thickets and brush on the sides.

Please give me a marching order!

Meltheim
2014-09-09, 11:11 AM
All - [Goblin Trail]

The group of adventurers begins to pack up their gear and make ready to follow the goblin trail back to the hideout from which the ambushers have been planning their attacks. As you make your way along the trail you can clearly see the evidence of numerous goblin tracks back and forth along with the marks where two humanoid creatures were dragged for a while before apparently being picked up and carried. A mere ten minutes into your journey along the trail and Jasper's keen eyes spot a trap awaiting anyone who would dare venture towards the goblins hideout. A simple snare lies in wait ready to spring on anyone with poor situational awareness, likely leaving them suspended above the ground several feet. As you continue further down the trail you cautiously keep an eye out for more traps and this time Lew notices the leaves along the trail have been purposefully placed and that the tracks go around them. Throwing back the false cover reveals a crudely dug pitfall trap roughly eight feet deep. Neither trap was designed to kill, but rather to hold the prisoner in place until the goblins could come and deal with them.

After following the goblin's trail for a couple of hours, the party comes across a large cave in a hillside, perhaps five miles from the ambush site on the Triboar Trail. A shallow stream flows out of the cave mouth, which is screened by dense briar thickets. A narrow dry path leads into the cave on the right hand side of the stream. The water is about 2 foot deep, and not moving quickly, though the rocky bed may make it difficult to traverse.

dariathalon
2014-09-12, 11:13 PM
Baruk - [Goblin Trail]

Baruk looks around the area, tugging on his beard. "So this looks like it must be the place. Eh? What do we do about it then?"

Tegu8788
2014-09-13, 07:27 PM
Lew Poole - [Goblin Trail]

From his vantage point, Lew tries his best to see into the dark cave.

[roll0]

"I can't make anything out. What about you Tybalt? Baruk?"

dariathalon
2014-09-15, 06:59 PM
Baruk - [Goblin Trail]

Baruk takes a few steps closer to the cave's entrance, and looks inside at Lew's suggestion, trying to focus on the shadows.

[roll0]

"You know. I could cast a spell," he picks up a small clump of dirt, about half the size of his palm, from the edge of the trail. With a quick prayer, he infuses it with holy light, and it begins to glow. "We could toss this forward. We'd get a better look at what's up there, but if there's anyone in there, they'd probably see it."

Light cantrip, the clump of dirt with shine with 20' bright and 20' dim light for the next hour unless Baruk dismisses it or casts the spell again.

Meltheim
2014-09-15, 07:16 PM
All - [Goblin Trail]

An arrow whizzes past Baruk, fired from the east, followed by some cursing in Goblin. Another arrow knocks the clump of dirt out of the dwarf's hand, but skitters away harmlessly.

Combat beginning! Gotta love misses on a surprise round.

The party can go in whatever order they wish. No need to roll initiative since the baddies rolled all together.

Wdwune
2014-09-16, 09:35 AM
Jasper

"Baruk!" shouts Jasper when he sees an arrow almost hit his dwarven teammate. He instinctively draws his bow and focuses his vision ready to fire an arrow at the sighting of any goblin.

Perception: [roll0] (let's spot some hidden goblins)

And I ready a ranged attack when I see a goblin:
· Longbow: [roll1], damage: [roll2]

Meltheim
2014-09-16, 12:12 PM
Combat - [Round 1 - Party]

Though Jasper's arrow goes wide, he is now able to see three distinct shapes through the thickets. They have bows and are using the thickets as cover, and look like they have been planning to pick people off one by one.

Your shot missed, but now you know where the goblins are! The thickets are difficult terrain, and provide half cover (+2 AC/Dex Saves when defending). If you are attacking through the thickets, just take 2 off of your attack to compensate for the AC boost on their side. If you are spellcasting and the goblin would make a Dex save, just add 2 to their modifier.

Up Next: Baruk, Lew, Tybalt

Tegu8788
2014-09-16, 08:07 PM

Seeing an arrow fly out from the bush and another going back in, Lew lifts his ancestral axe, and moves towards the bushes to find the offending archers. Finding them quicker than he expected, Lew dashes to his right through the thickets. Distracted by the tearing of his tunic, he ends his motion adjacent to the goblin, ready to fight.

Move to K13
Dash L13-M14-N14-O14

dariathalon
2014-09-16, 09:25 PM
Baruk - [Goblin Trail]

Baruk takes a hint from Jasper's arrow and Lew's movement. There must be goblins in that thicket. At his prayer, a beam of light shines down from the heavens into the space directly in front of Lew.

Baruk then pulls his hammer from the leather loop on his belt, and moves forward wading across the small stream, and into the battle.

Attack: Sacred Flame on the goblin next to Lew. [roll0] I didn't include a bonus for cover, since sacred flame specifically ignores that. If hit, the goblin takes [roll1]

Move: To K11, drawing hammer during movement.

Meltheim
2014-09-17, 10:02 PM
Tybalt

Following after his companions, the elven wizard runs forward a bit and fires a ray of blue-white light toward the thickets where the goblins are hiding.

Move: Walk to G14

Action: Ray of Frost (Cantrip) vs Goblin Bow 2

Attack: [roll0] vs AC (+5 base -2 for half cover)
Hit: [roll1] cold damage, and Goblin Bow 2's speed is reduced by 10 feet (2 sq.) until SoNT-Ty2

Up Next: Goblins!

Meltheim
2014-09-17, 10:40 PM
Combat - Round 2 - Enemy 1

The goblins dart backwards, firing arrows at Lew as he comes crashing through the thickets and brush.

Goblin Bow 2
Move: Walk to N8

Action: Short Bow vs Lew

Goblin Bow 3
Move: Walk to P8

Action: Short Bow vs Lew

Up Next: Lew, Jasper, Baruk, Tybalt

Tegu8788
2014-09-18, 12:06 PM

Moving towards the nearest goblin in an arcing attack, Lew attempts to hack away.

Move: N12-O11
Action: Attack Goblin 3
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage

dariathalon
2014-09-18, 07:56 PM
Baruk

Baruk sees Lew sending bits of goblin flying every-which-way with wide swings of his axe. He rushes up to join goblin slaughter. As soon as he breaks through the line of thick foliage, he swings his warhammer down in a mighty overhead swing hoping to crush one of the goblins.

Move: to M9. I don't know why but I'm seeing two goblins marked 2 on the map, but I can attack either of them from this position, so I suppose it doesn't matter for now.

Attack: Warhammer on Goblin Bow 2. [roll0]. If hit, he takes [roll1]

Meltheim
2014-09-18, 10:23 PM
All - [Goblin Lair - Outside]

The dwarf's mighty warhammer comes down with a sickening CRUNCH as the final goblin ambusher is defeated. As Baruk looks to untangle his clothes from the briars, Jasper picks up the distinct sound of music, drifting gently through the air, from the south.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-19, 11:00 AM
Auri Ventannis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=30974)

Seemingly without a care in the world a young half-elven woman soon emerges from the trees south of the clearing following the narrow goblin trail. She's dressed in worn leather armor with brightly polished silver buckles over which is a loosely hanging padded coat dyed a deep blue and rimmed with gold threading. At her hip dangles two blades; a plain but well cared-for rapier on one side and a silver-handled dagger on the other. Strapped to the side of her rather ordinary traveler's backpack is a small black case for a viol.

As she walks she pipes happily on a slender silver flute and rocks her head slightly back and forth as she steps along to the beat of the song. Her black hair is about shoulder length and from beneath it poke two pointed ears, eluding to the half-breed blood coursing through her veins, each of which are studded with two silver earrings. Her eyes are deep green and her skin fair but tanned.

When she's made her way about halfway across the clearing it seems she's finally notice the group through the thickets near the cave entrance. She quickly wraps up the little tune she had been playing and stows the flute into a side pocket of her pack from over her left shoulder. Smiling as if you weren't a group of people who'd just brutally put an end to a pair of goblins she greets you.

"Salutations!"

dariathalon
2014-09-19, 04:15 PM
Baruk

Baruk sets to cleaning the goblin gore off his warhammer and armor as the half-elf approaches. That last blow had been an impressive one, the goblin's head practically exploding at the impact of the weapon. He finds a goblin eyeball in his beard and gently plucks it out, then tosses it into the thicket. He uses some of the water from the nearby stream to rinse the worst of the blood off of himself and his belongings.

When the half-elf finally speaks up, Baruk looks up. "Hoy there! Strange place to be running into someone out here. What brings you up this trail?" he asks. He watches the half-elf carefully as he answers.

I don't know if using social skills on pc's is taboo in 5e, the way it is in some rpgs, but in case it isn't here's an [roll0]. If it is discouraged or there's nothing to learn about his answer, feel free to ignore this.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-19, 06:49 PM

"As a matter of fact... the four of you do I believe."

A polite small tugs at the corners of her mouth and she casually waits for Baruk to finish a majority of his initial splashing about in the stream as she approaches. With a slight bown of the head towards Jasper and Tybalt, who are on the same side of the stream, she returns her focus to the question at hand. "You're the travelers who arrived in Phandalin with supplies for Gundren correct? But the thing is he never showed up, so the talk around town is that you've set out to find what became of him in case some ill fate like goblins or bandits befell him on the road. I sought your fellowship out to see if I might be of assistance... and maybe, once you've located the dwarf beg of you for your assistance with a plight that currently gnaws away at the very soul of our township." She jerks a thumb over her shoulder in the direction of the trail behind her and the road beyond that, the motions to the mouth of the cave ahead which still yawns in silence with naught but gloom within. "Have you found evidence that suggests Gundren may have been taken by the goblins? Could he be inside their lair?"

Gavran
2014-09-19, 10:58 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Turning from his survey of the battlefield, Tybalt acknowledges the new arrival with a nod of his own.

"We do have evidence that these goblins have attacked a group associated with Gundren -" a thoughtful pause "- well, two groups, counting ourselves... it is not a certainty that Gundren was among the first group, but Baruk here being his kin would not pass up the chance to possibly rescue him. Regardless of what we discover pertaining to that, the goblins have shown themselves to be a highly aggressive threat to travelers, and it is best they are eliminated. To that end... they've ambushed us twice, so we must assume that they plan to do so again and that they are to some degree aware of our presence. I offer no promise of aid when we return to Phandalin, but at this point I see little choice but that you join with us, so that they do not see you alone and take you for easy prey.

I assume there are no objections?"

He leaves the question hanging and stares into the maw of the cave, idly wondering if he should take cover somewhere until the group is ready to enter.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-20, 05:11 AM

The woman thinks over what had been said for a brief moment before continuing. "Hmmm...perhaps the townsfolk got the wrong idea...you know how impressionable people in rural towns can be." A hint of unsurity enters her voice and her eyes wanders along the stream and back to the cave mouth to the north. "When your group arrivied and mentioned having slain the goblins along the road I guess they mistook you to be heroes of sort...figured you might be inclined to do a bit of good while you were in the area. Perhaps I've made the same mistake."

She turns her attention to Baruk with hopes that she might have more luck convincing him. "If Gundren is in fact your kin and he and his brothers plan to be here in Phandalin for some time yet I assure you that our plight is his as well. It's only a matter of time...

dariathalon
2014-09-20, 07:09 AM
Baruk

"Certainly. Love to do something about those Redbrands, if that's what you're getting at. They are nothing but a bunch of low-lifes who are using what little bit of power they've got to leverage against the common man. I've heard some of it, and even saw a little of it for the little bit of time I was in Phandalin. Can't let that go on in good conscience. First though, I've got to see if I can find Gundren. Can't rest while a clansman might be in trouble. I'd join you against that group of thugs once we've found Gundren. Heck, I'd help any of you out with whatever deeds you think need doing, as long as they're not leading down the dark roads to immortality, in return for helping me find Gundren. I feel like I owe you all already for setting out on this with me. So, yeah, I'm fine with this lass coming along. Who knows what waits in the cave; we could probably use all the help we can get."

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-20, 09:22 AM

"Aye... the Redbrands indeed. They're lowlife brigands with delusions of grandeur and a terrible shortage of imagination." Auri rolls her eyes and sighs slightly, placing one of her hands atop the butt of her rapier's handle as it dangles at her belt."But we can readdress the issue at a time more befitting of it. Time is of the essence I believe..."

Tegu8788
2014-09-22, 07:39 AM
Lew Poole - [Outside the Goblin Lair]

Cleaning his ancestral blade of the goblin filth, Lew listens to the dwarf and half-elf speak. Finally hearing a spot where he could have something to say, he does so. "The people's troubles are my troubles. I will rid these lands of goblins, Redbrands, and whomever else my threaten peaceful lives. Come, join us, and let us lay waste to any that stand between us and my destiny."

Having decided he has motivated the party enough, Lew starts marching closer towards the cave entrance, though with an eye out for further possible arrows.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-22, 06:25 PM

Auri unslings her backpack and rummages inside for a moment before producing wrapped set of torches. She opens the cloth roll along the ground and removes a single torch before wrapping the others back up and returning them to the backpack. She then slips her traveler's pack back onto her back and lights the torch before drawing her rapier. Making her way to the mouth of the cave she walks along side Lewis with the torch held high to try and pierce the darkness looming within. Speaking aloud, but apparently not to anyone in particular the bard quotes:

"Into the mouth of death they strode...
Into the choking gloom.
Into the pit of fear unknown...
Perhaps to court their doom."

And then seems lost in thought for a moment as if reciting the words to herself once more.

Move : M4 (unless something happens beforehand)
Perception : [roll0]

dariathalon
2014-09-22, 06:30 PM
Baruk

Baruk steps in line behind Lewis. As he walks forward, he says a quiet prayer to Marthammor Duin, and Baruk's shield begins to glow with a bright white light. "There we go, that should let the rest of you see, and be a lot sturdier than that hunk of dirt. I'm ready, we should go in."

Meltheim
2014-09-22, 06:53 PM
All - [Goblin Cave]

Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite.

The small stream continues north, curving eastward into the darkness. Right at the curve, some rubble can be seen on the western wall, which forms a ledge of sorts leading west.

Wdwune
2014-09-23, 09:08 AM
Jasper - [Goblin Lair - Outside]

A young, slender, black haired human male wearing leather armor approaches the newcomer after checking the trail for any income menaces. He has two weapons sheathed on his back; a greatsword and a longbow (with a quiver). "The name's Jasper Goodwyl," he says with an open smile. "Pleased to meet you, my lady..."

Jasper - [Goblin Lair - Inside]

Jasper draws his bow and an arrow as he takes point. It will take some time for his eyes to get used to the darkness, but his senses of hearing and smell are always alert.

"Wolves," he whispers as he rises his hand making a "watch out" sign.

Perception: [roll0]

Move from L19 to M16

And just in case an Animal Handling to see if I know which is the safest way to behave with these wolves: [roll1]

And finally, a Survival check to track the goblins or Gundred: [roll2]

Meltheim
2014-09-23, 10:50 AM
All - [Goblin Lair]

Jasper's body language and calm voice help to soothe the wolves. They stop their snapping, snarling and straining at their chains, and instead lie down, acting more like slightly domesticated ferocious dogs than anything else. As Jasper gets closer, the light reveals that there is actually a third wolf in the room, though it also appears to have calmed down.

Jasper gets the impression that he and the group could move through the room without being attacked, but that the wolves could very easily be provoked into a frenzy.

Between the bubbling of the stream and the illumination, it is difficult for anyone to see anything in the way of tracks, or to hear much beyond the rushing of water and the clinking of the wolves' chains. That said, nobody hears any sounds of Goblins moving about either, indicating that they are either stationary or stealthy.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-23, 12:13 PM

[Goblin Lair - Outside]

Auri smiles and nods at the dark haired man as he introduces himself and then she does so in kind. Hello Jasper, I'm Auri. Musician, wanderer, teller of tales and singer of songs. I'm no battle hardened adventurer but I know my way around a blade and have a trick or two up my sleeves."

[Goblin Lair - Inside]

Watching as Jasper is able to calm the wolves without too much of an issue, Auri keeps the torch high and scans the room for anything further of interest. "It looks to mostly be a dead end. If the goblins kidnapped your friend he was likely taken along the main tunnel rather than through some narrow crack in the wall. Should we continue or ...?"

Wdwune
2014-09-23, 03:00 PM
Jasper - [Goblin Lair - Inside]

Jasper nods. "Let's move on," he says as he lowers his weapon. "Let's walk calmly, without movements that might seem hostile, and don't look into the wolves' eyes."

dariathalon
2014-09-24, 01:13 AM
Baruk

"I don't know if I like the idea of leaving those wolves behind us, but I don't know of a better alternative. So I guess we'll have to let them be for now," Baruk says in a quiet tone. He moves forward climbing up the first few feet of the rubble pile until his head crests the ledge and he is able to see a little further down that path.

Meltheim
2014-09-24, 02:38 AM
All - [Goblin Lair]

As Baruk moves forward, he sees that the main passage from the cave mouth appears to climb steeply upward, with the stream plunging and splashing down its west side. In the shadows, a side passage leads west across the other side of the stream. The side passage is choked with rubble and has steep escarpments. It is difficult to move through the rubble, but Baruk thinks he might be able to climb up the ledge.

Baruk's light lets him see what appears to be the dim shape of a rickety bridge in the shadows to the northeast. The bridge appears to be made of wood and rope, and crosses overhead. Another passage intersects the main area, about twenty feet above the floor. Out of the corner of his eye, Baruk sees a creature dive for the shadows to the east, just as an arrow flies past his head, going *PLINK* into the wall next to him.

Initiative - Round 1
Bow Goblin 1
Party <= Up Next

Bow Goblin 1
Action: Shortbow vs Baruk

Hit: 5 damage

Move: Walk east, off of the bridge into a passageway on the 2nd level

It is now the party's turn. There are no enemies in sight.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-24, 02:42 AM

"I dont speak for the group of course but I have no plans of killing an animal thats of no threat and chained to the wall. It's bad enough they've been treated poorly by the goblins but it's not as if the wolves had a say in the matter." Auri follows after Baruk and Jasper and spares a final glance back at the kennel over her right shoulder. As they reach the bend in the main tunnel she keeps the torch held high for the others and gazes off into the gloom ahead along the course of the stream.

Perception : [roll0] - Looking for traps, signs of enemies, listening for anything I might hear over the sound of the water / dogs.

Gavran
2014-09-24, 06:45 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

The sound of the arrow striking the wall takes Tybalt's attention away from the beasts behind him, and he immediately begins to survey the room, mentally calculating where the shot could've come from. Tendrils of fog form around his hand as he channels freezing magic, preparing to cast it toward the first goblin that revealed itself.

"Unsurprising that they'd continue the same ambush tactics. It is unfortunate that they may hold prisoners and we are forced to accommodate them... but at least they aren't particularly proficient with their weapons."

Trigger: Goblin popping out of hiding / into LoS
Readied Action: Ray of Frost vs Undetermined Badguy
Damage: [roll1] cold damage

dariathalon
2014-09-24, 07:02 AM
Baruk

(Pre-goblin attack)

Baruk glances over his shoulder as he walks forward. He replies to Auri, "I wasn't really thinking of killing them. Maybe releasing them or something so at least they wouldn't be right here behind us. But that would probably be dangerous, and they might stay here even if unchained, depending on how well they've been treated."

(Post-goblin attack)

Baruk ducks down behind his shield, hoping to avoid more arrows as he waits for others decide how to respond.

Using the Dodge action

Tegu8788
2014-09-24, 10:56 AM
Lew Poole

Drawing a javelin from his pack, Lew looks for a target to hurl his weapon at. If only there was some way to get that goblin to glow. Baruk, can you light up one of Jasper's arrows?"

Move: N11
Action: Ready an action to hurl a javelin when the goblin is visible.

Meltheim
2014-09-24, 12:32 PM
All - [Goblin Lair - Round 1 Combat]

The arrow narrowly misses Baruk, who puts his shield up to protect from another attack. Tybalt's hands glow with frost as he readies icy death for anyone who steps into view. Lewis aims a javelin at the next foe who presents himself.

As Auri moves closer, she hears the rushing of water much more prominently in this area - but she cannot tell whether the cave was magnifying the sound or there was truly a waterfall nearby.

Initiative - Round 1
Bow Goblin 1
Party <= Active Turn (Jasper and Auri still to go, Tybalt and Lew with readied actions)

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-24, 12:46 PM

Auri swaps the torch to her dominant hand and then draws back for a throw. She aims for the eastern passage and tries to lightly lob the torch into the entrance in a matter that would illuminate the area well enough to see anything that dared emerge on the bridge again. Stowing her blade she move to cover beneath the bridge and looks for good handholds.

Move : M10
Action : Torch Toss [roll0]
Move : O10 (under bridge)
Climb : [roll1] I've got a negative but whats the worse that could happen right?

Meltheim
2014-09-24, 02:44 PM
All - [Goblin Lair - Round 1 Combat]

Auri moves quickly, flinging her torch up toward the ledge near the bridge. Unfortunately, the throw goes wide, and the torch extinguishes itself in the stream. She darts under the bridge for cover, then begins climbing, in quite a monkey-like fashion, until she gets about halfway up. As she climbs, she sees the Goblin archer from earlier running back toward the bridge. The goblin pulls up short and stares, his bow aimed straight at her from point blank range.

From her new vantage point, Auri is able to see the stream and path curve further around to the east, while the bridge heads into narrow passages to the northwest and southeast, respectively. The sound of rushing water is almost deafening from up here.

Initiative - Round 1
Bow Goblin 1
Party <= Active turn (Jasper still to go, Tybalt and Lew with readied actions)

dariathalon
2014-09-24, 07:05 PM
Baruk

Baruk responds to Lew's question, still hiding behind his shield. "I can light up just about anything I can touch, but if I do, my shield will go out. Can only have one thing lit up at a time. Doesn't bother me any what the spells on, I can see in the dark. I'll leave it up to you who can't see so much."

Not a new round's actions, just wanted to take a free action to respond to Lew before I forgot about it by the time my next turn rolls around.

Tegu8788
2014-09-24, 08:42 PM
Lewis Poole

"It just seems to me, that making the target visible instead of us visible would be handy. I mean, I know where we are. But I don't want to kill you guys. I'm trying to hit the goblin, which I can't see. But if we can get something you touch to stick out of the goblin, that should work, right?"

Meltheim
2014-09-26, 10:34 AM
Initiative - Round 2
Bow Goblin 1 <= Active turn
Party

With a wicked grin on his face, the goblin inches forward to get a better shot at the vulnerable Auri. As soon as he steps into view, however, he is instantly frozen and javelinned by the party - his head coming clean from his shoulders in a 'goblin-on-a-stick' sort of fashion. The frozen body collapses to the ground below and shatters into a dozen pieces. The head and javelin comes to rest some 10 feet away.

The group is out of initiative for the time being.

Tegu8788
2014-09-26, 11:40 AM
Lewis Poole - [Goblin Lair]

Pulling some rope from his backpack, he tosses one end to Auri. "See if you can find a good heavy rock to loop this around. I'll pull the rest of us up. This water, I don't think it's clean. I'd rather use a nice bridge than climb around in the dirt. Somebody had to built that bridge, which means it leads to goblins."

I'm thinking, make a belay system. Use a stalagmite as a pivot, tie one end to someone, Lew pulls them up, Auri can help them over the top.

I may have gotten tired of being dumb...

Also, Lew doesn't like muck.

Meltheim
2014-09-26, 11:59 AM
All - [Goblin Lair]

With the goblin threat no longer looming overhead, literally, Auri is able to finish climbing up to the upper level. Lew tosses a rope up to her, just as the sounds of hammering can be heard from further down the hall, to the northeast.

BH, please make a DEX check for Auri to secure the rope properly.

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-27, 03:29 AM

Checking both ways down the second floor tunnels to make sure no more threats are in sight, Auri holds out her hands and makes ready to catch the rope. Once she has it in hand she begins to work a simple but effective knot around the post of the rickety bridge and then signals down to Lewis and the others once the anchor is set. Not looking to be caught unable to strike at another ranged foe the half-elf readies her bow and adjusts her quiver for a faster draw but keeps a hand free should anyone require assistance in the climb.

"Which way should we go?" She asks once at least one person has joined her on the second floor and stares off down the tunnel to the east. "If they brought prisoners they would have to stick to the main tunnel which was curving around to the east. At the very least if the path ends up simply spiraling back to the stream below we can retrace our steps to the west?"

Perception: [roll0] - Just in case. I am doing quite a bit of looking / listening.

Tegu8788
2014-09-27, 02:27 PM
Lewis Poole

Making sure everyone gets up, with any help they need, Lew climbs up as well, stowing the rope back in his bag. "Eh, yes. Quite right. Well then, shall we go?" He extends his hand, indicating Auri to lead the way, for though he would hate to admit it, he's not entirely sure which way is east, and which is west.

Meltheim
2014-09-27, 06:16 PM
All - Goblin Lair

Just as the last of the group gets pulled up to the bridge, a crashing sound is heard as a torrent of water comes pouring down the pathway, flushing everything out toward the cave entrance. The wolves yelp in protest but it sounds like they are unharmed.

Wdwune
2014-09-28, 05:13 PM
Jasper

Jasper was worried about the wolves, but he was relieved when the party took care of the goblin menace without him to do the deadly shot as he's used to. With a confident grin, he withdraws his bow and makes sure everything's okay before climbing up. During the climb, he takes the temporary role of rear-scout. You never know when these wolves could be freed to go after us...

Hohoho... This game goes faster than I thought, I like it! :smallbiggrin:

Sorry about my absence, it won't happen again. :smallredface:

Also, Perception check, just in case, as soon as I get to the bridge: [roll0]

Bounty Hunter
2014-09-28, 05:36 PM

"Certianly" Auri answers in response to Lewis's gestures and gives another polite nod despite the fact that she was actually a bit uncomfortable at having suddenly found herself leading the group. She steels herself and figures if nothing else, perhaps showing the others that she's willing and capable to take a major role in their cause will help sway them to assist in hers. Readying her bow and nocking an arrow, the half-elf checks the easter tunnel for any signs of traps before continuing on.

Move to O9 and check the tunnel ahead for any signs of traps.

If I find none then move forward to Q12, still looking for traps and listening for enemies.

Investigation : [roll0]
Perception : [roll1]
Stealth : [roll2]

Meltheim
2014-09-29, 12:39 AM
All - [Goblin Lair - Twin Pools Cave]

While by herself, Auri is able to blend in to the shadows flicking on the wall, from some unknown light source up ahead - likely a fire pit or set of torches. The sound of the raging waterfall is much stronger here, giving the party some freedom as they grunt and gasp to climb the rope up to the second level. Baruk's light is far enough away from the front that it

As Auri peeks around the corner, she sees that the cavern is half-filled with two large pools of water. A narrow waterfall high in the eastern wall feeds the pool, which drains out the western end of the chamber to form the stream that flows out of the cave mouth below. Low fieldstone walls serve as dams holding the water in, one of which has been knocked out, draining the north most pool. With the dam knocked out, the stream flows unimpeded, making it much more treacherous terrain. A wide exit stands to the south, while two smaller passages lead west. The sound of the waterfall echoes through the cavern, making it difficult to hear or be heard.

Three goblins can be seen in this room, two standing near the pool, and one nearer the middle of the room. They are armed with bows and short swords. They have not seen the party.

You have not been seen. If you wish, you can surprise the goblins with an attack, though that means you each only get one action and then we'll go into standard initiatives after the surprise round (the goblins will go first). Or, you could take what info you have and go back another way - your call. I'll put everyone on the map for now so that you can make a more well-informed decision.

Tegu8788
2014-09-30, 06:58 PM
Lewis Poole

Seeing Auri stop, Lew stops as well. Seeing her bow drawn, he pulls a pair of javelins from his pack. "What do you see?"

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-01, 03:34 AM

"Goblins" Auri whispers and holds up three fingers on her left hand which is still grasping her arrow. The slides the arrow back into place in her bow and pulls the string back slowly. "Havent seen us." She adds, keeping her words few and quiet, even with the din of the falls filling the entire room. She pulls the string of her bow all the way back and takes two long, slow steps forward then aims at something to the north.

She glances back at the others in the narrow passage for some sort of indication not to attack, but if she sees none she looses the arrow towards the creature.

Move : From Q12 to S12 (10 feet)
Action : Attack Sword Goblin 1 with Bow Attack

Attack : [roll0]
Damage : [roll1]

Gavran
2014-10-02, 08:56 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Upon seeing Auri draw back her bow, Tybalt moves forward through the group and, after the arrow is loosed, follows it into the room. Charging the nearest goblin, he grabs for the arrow jutting out of it and channels arcane lightning through it, causing the creature to crumple to the ground in a fit of convulsions.

Start: O10
Move to S11

Action: Shocking Grasp vs Sword Goblin 1
Damage: [roll1] lightning damage

dariathalon
2014-10-02, 10:34 PM
Baruk

Baruk rushes in behind Tybalt, warhammer in hand. When the elf stops to bring electric death to the nearest goblin, Baruk charges past to strike at the other goblin thereby also putting himself between the remaining goblins and the more tender members of the party. The nimble goblin manages to duck behind his rock, getting away from Baruk's blow.

Move: to position shown (T11)
Action: attack sword goblin 2 with warhammer [roll0]. If hit, the goblin will take [roll1].

The sword goblin 2 AC check seems to be broken, but I assumed his stats were the same as sword goblin 1 and checked my roll that way. It returned a miss. If they're different for some reason, let me know.

Meltheim
2014-10-03, 01:34 AM
Initiative - Round 1
Goblins (surprised)
Party <== Active Turn (Lew and Jasper to go)

Moving swiftly and almost as if they had planned it out, Auri and Tybalt are able to deliver a 1-2 punch to the nearest sword-wielding goblin. Baruk's attack goes wide, and his two allies in the passageway have yet to act.

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-03, 02:51 AM

[ Auri presses her back against the stone wall behind her giving the others as much room as she can as they rush out of the hall and into the chamber. With quick fingers she reaches into her quiver and draws another arrow, slipping it into place on the bow.

Tegu8788
2014-10-03, 09:37 AM
Lew Poole

Weaving his way through his allies, Lew slides his back around the boulder until he is within range of the goblin. With his greataxe, he tries to end the life of the being before him, with extreme prejudice.

Move: S12-T11-U11
Action: Attack Goblin 2
[roll0] vs AC, for [roll1] slashing damage.

Either sheath the Javelins and draw the Greataxe, or dropping the Javelins to draw the Greataxe, whichever is legal

Wdwune
2014-10-06, 09:31 AM
Jasper

The archer sees the group engage one goblin, but he notices the other one armed with a bow. Jasper rushes swiftly in straight line, hides behind a rock and fires an arrow to the enemy sniper.

Move: From P11 to S8 in straight line, draw my bow and hide behind the rock.
· Stealth: [roll0]

Action: Attack Goblin 1
· Attack: [roll1]
· Hit: [roll2] dmg

Meltheim
2014-10-07, 01:14 AM
Initiative - Round 2
Goblins <== Active Turn
Party

As Baruk moves further into the room, he can see south into what appears to be another raised chamber. A set of narrow stairs carved into the rock lead up to the room, where a light source of some kind flickers just out of view. The light is enough to see sacks and crates piled up at the southern end, but not much else.

Despite their surprise, the goblins act quickly. One goblin attacks Baruk while the other attacks Lew. Both goblins then dart south, heading up the stairs and beyond the party's sight.

Sword Goblin 2
Action: Scimitar vs Baruk

Bonus Action: Disengage

Move: Walk to U16

Bow Goblin 1
Action: Shortbow vs Lew

Move: Walk to U16

Up Next: The party

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-07, 01:43 AM

"Where did they go? Can you still see them?"Auri hisses from the back of the group. She keeps her just loud enough to be heard over the din of the waterfall but not enough to alert any other enemies.

Wdwune
2014-10-07, 09:21 AM
Jasper Goodwyl

"We can track them," Jasper whispers so that Auri can hear him as he gets out of his hiding spot. "Leave that to me," he says with a grin as he looks around and inspect the floor of the cave in search for any goblin trails.

Perception to locate any hiding goblins around: [roll0]

Survival to track the escapees: (1d20+3)[23] (copied the result of my OOC roll)

Ready an action: Fire an arrow when I see a goblin
· Attack: [roll1]
· Hit: [roll2] dmg

Move from R10 to U12

dariathalon
2014-10-07, 06:36 PM
Baruk

Baruk does some quick mental calculations based on his memory of the tunnels they've traveled in so far. "Hrm... Up a little from here and turning back the way we came from. I've got to wonder if there's a passage back into that area with the wolves we saw earlier. I lost track of them quickly once they got up there, but it at least seems possible. I say we follow them with some caution, we don't want to give them long to prepare for us."

Gavran
2014-10-07, 07:08 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"We either pursue and are likely ambushed again or allow them to escape, regroup, and bring their entire force against us. While we could match their tactics, hiding among the tunnels and striking out against any patrols they send looking for us, we must remember our objective here. If they execute their prisoners because they've been alerted to our presence and destroy any evidence of their schemes, we've failed, regardless of how many of them die in the process."

Tegu8788
2014-10-08, 01:06 PM
Lew Poole

"Then let us follow them, with haste. Lead the way Jasper."

Meltheim
2014-10-10, 07:38 PM
Initiative - Round 2
Goblins
Party<== Active Turn

With the goblins out of sight, the party does their best to move sneakily toward the stairs. "WHO DARES TO CHALLENGE KLARG?" a voice shouts from just out of view, to the east (the opposite direction the goblins ran).

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-11, 08:34 AM

"Who is Klarg?" the bard asks the nearest person as quietly as she can considering the noise of the waterfall. Perhaps the group knew if that was the leader of the goblins and the one responsible for kidnapping their friend. Either way, the voice did not sound friendly at all and she readies another arrow just to be sure. Keeping herself close to the pools of water, and thus as far from the stairs into the next room as possible, Auri circles around for a better line of sight.

Keeping near the back of the group I follow them as they approach the stairs. I'd eventually like to end up near V12 but at this point I'm sort of waiting on the melee characters to get up there.

Ready an action to shoot the first hostile that makes its way into line of sight.

Damage [roll1]

Tegu8788
2014-10-13, 01:12 PM
Lew Poole

Drawing his Greataxe, he responds "I know of no one that would go by such or horrible name as Klarg. Shall we dispatch this egotistical goblin and be done with this?"

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-13, 01:16 PM

"Do you think they could be lured out here?" she asks. "I'd rather not walk straight into a trap...who knows how many of them are in there."

Wdwune
2014-10-13, 04:51 PM
Jasper

Jasper says nothing at first and aims an arrow at the east (where the voice came from) as he slowly steps back to get a better field of vision. Then he finally adds: "Klarg, Klarg... Oh yeah, that's the sound that a bag of empty pots makes when it crashes from twenty feet into a floating rock."

Same as Auri, ready an action to fire an arrow against the first hostile creature.

Damage: [roll1]

Meltheim
2014-10-13, 05:01 PM
All - [Goblin Lair]

From the south, the party hears the sound of barking and jaws snapping, then silence.

dariathalon
2014-10-13, 09:09 PM
Baruk

Baruk holds his shining shield out before him so the light is cast around in all directions. "Uh, I think this is bad. We're probably about to get tag teamed from both sides." He glances back and forth between where the voice had sounded and where the wolves had barked.

Baruk readies a sacred flame for the second enemy he sees (figuring someone else will get the first one before he has a chance to cast at it).

Gavran
2014-10-14, 05:00 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Taking a cue from the others, Tybalt backs away from the corridor and prepares another ice spell to cast in defense of his allies.
"Whatever agitated and subsequently quieted the chained beasts is not necessarily an enemy. Do not loose that arrow too hastily."

Well, when in Rome. :P Readying actions is fun.

Move to S11
Ready: Ray of Frost
Trigger: Enemy in LoE attacks party member
Target: Triggering enemy

Meltheim
2014-10-14, 03:46 PM
Initiative - Round 3
Goblins <== Active Turn
Party

The party hears more yipping and barking, from the north. The more observant members turn just in time to see three wolves bearing down on them, with a goblin archer coming up from behind.

If any of you have triggered/readied actions, go for it.

dariathalon
2014-10-14, 06:32 PM
Baruk

Baruk says a quick prayer, and a shining light flows down from the roof of the cavern. Its exact source is a mystery, but it looks like a ray of golden sunlight peeking out from a thickly overcast sky, except there are no clouds nor sun. Just an uneven rock ceiling. It shines down on one of the wolves. It yelps and jumps back a few inches as the light burns it.

Sacred Flame on Wolf 2 [roll0] against my DC of 13. If hit, the wolf takes [roll1].

Gavran
2014-10-15, 02:34 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

The sudden primal ferocity of the wolves, unlike anything found in the sprawling libraries he'd spent most of his life in, throw off Tybalt's concentration and his spell goes wide, drawing a line of white frost along the wall behind it.

Rolled when I readied, missed.

Wdwune
2014-10-15, 03:19 PM
Jasper

Upon seeing an enemy sniper behind, Jasper quickly fires an arrow at him, instantly killing the goblin.

"Let me guess... He was not Klarg."

The triggered shot is activated (rolls in my previous post), so I shot the archer for 8 damage, and he's dead. :smalltongue:

Bounty Hunter
2014-10-15, 03:25 PM

"Behind us!" the bard manages to stammer out as she catches sight of the approaching wolves. Spinning on her heels she draws her arrow back and lets it fly towards the nearest of the rabid animals.

Keeping near the back of the group I follow them as they approach the stairs. I'd eventually like to end up near V12 but at this point I'm sort of waiting on the melee characters to get up there.

Ready an action to shoot the first hostile that makes its way into line of sight.

Attack : (1d20+5)[20]
Damage (1d6+3)[9]

Meltheim
2014-10-15, 04:18 PM
Initiative - Round 3
Goblins
Party <== Active Turn

Without hesitation, Jasper and Auri fire arrows, taking out the goblin and grievously wounding one of the wolves.

Readied actions resolved. Party's turn now, 2 1/2 enemies left.

dariathalon
2014-10-15, 06:29 PM
Baruk

Baruk wastes no more time with his spells. He marches forward, interposing his shield between the wolf and Auri, expecting it might try to crawl out of the water any moment now. He slams his warhammer down hoping to knock it back into the water at the least, and maybe keep it from trying to climb out at all. The hammer lands with a sickening thump, sounding like it has broken several of the wolf's ribs. The wolf gives up his last hold on life, toppling over sideways into the water.

Move to T9.

Attack Wolf 1 with warhammer. [roll0], if hit the wolf will take [roll1].

Gavran
2014-10-17, 07:31 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Decades of training to isolate the mind from all distractions giving him resolve, Tybalt channels his icy focus on the closest wolf as he backpedals into the group, putting as much distance and armored allies between himself and the beasts.

Start: S10

Action: Ray of Frost
Target: Wollf 2

Move to V12

End: V12

Tegu8788
2014-10-20, 06:21 PM
Lewis Poole

Sad to see the wolves charging up the embarkment, Lewis does the same, howling as he cleaves the wolf's head from it's shoulders.

Walk to R9
Attack wolf 2, [roll0] for [roll1] slashing damage.

Meltheim
2014-10-24, 12:31 AM
Initiative - Round 4
Goblins <== Active Turn
Party

The remaining wolf turns tail and runs, no longer goaded by the goblin or the chance at easy prey. At the same time, however, arrows rain down from the south. It appears two of the goblins are trying to take advantage of the party's momentary distraction.

Bow Goblin 2
Move: Walk to W15

Action: Shortbow vs Tybalt

Bow Goblin 3
Move: Walk to W16

Action: Shortbow vs Jasper

Up Next: The party

Tegu8788
2014-10-24, 11:42 AM
Lew Poole

Watching the wolf flee, he turns and charges over back towards the goblins. With his mighty axe, he strikes again.

Move: W14
Action: [roll0] vs AC for [roll1] slashing damage.

dariathalon
2014-10-24, 11:10 PM
Baruk

Baruk also charges toward the enemy, but his short dwarven legs just aren't fast enough for him to reach them. As he reaches the base of the steps, he says a quick prayer to Marthammor Duin, and a beam of light appears from the roof of the cave to shine down on the remaining goblin. But the goblin is not quite quick enough to get out of its way, and is burned by the light.

Move: to V13

Attack: Sacred Flame on Goblin 3 [roll0] vs DC 13. If hit, the goblin takes [roll1].

Gavran
2014-10-26, 11:15 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt whirls to face the direction that the arrow sailing past him came from, disdain clear on his face as he spots the nasty creatures. Tapping yet again into arcane power, he expels his chilling intent toward the goblin suffering in the light summoned by Baruk.

Start: V12

Action: Ray of Frost
Target: Bow Goblin 3
Damage:[roll1] + 1 (crit) cold damage

End: V12

Meltheim
2014-10-29, 01:49 PM
Initiative - Round 4
Goblins
Party <== Active Turn (Jasper and Auri still to go this round)

As Lew charges forward and Baruk and Tybalt clear the way, the group sees that the room opens up to the west, revealing a much larger chamber than originally appeared. There appears to be a hole of some sort at the western end, possibly used to scrabble back down to the room where the wolves are, or rather were, chained to the stalagmites.

Bounty Hunter
2014-11-02, 05:19 PM

Move: Walk to W13
Action : Ready a bow attack against the first viable foe.

Wdwune
2014-11-04, 09:13 AM
Jasper Goodwyl

"Was that Klarg?" Jasper whispers in amusement, even if he's partly relieved when the last goblin falls. However, one cannot be too careless. He moves into a forward scout position and carefully inspects the area.

Move from U12 to W16

Stealth to remain hidden:

Perception to be prepared in case of another goblin ambush: 1d20+3[/roll]

Inspection, just in case: [roll1]

Meltheim
2014-11-15, 11:18 AM
Initiative - Round 5
Goblins <== Active Turn
Party

As Jasper slips forward into the room, his question is answered with a bellowing "That was not Klarg! Klarg will build a throne from your bones!" from the eastern wall. Jasper sees a large bugbear wielding a mace. Standing at his side is a large wolf, larger than the others they had seen before. "Kill them!" Klarg shouts, as a goblin pops up from behind the crates to the south. Unfortunately, the goblins arrow goes wide, embedding itself into the wall. The goblin pales, then scampers toward the chimney leading back down to the wolf's den.

Up Next: The Party

Bounty Hunter
2014-11-15, 11:49 PM

Auri quickly reaches over her shoulder and pulls another arrow from her quiver before slipping it into the string of her shortbow. With quick and careful foot placement she jaunts up the stone steps and into the room with the creature calling itself Klarg. Eyeing the crates and boxes to the south she decides to move to the west and give herself plenty of space from any potential threats. Drawing the string back all the way she looses an arrow towards the towering bugbear.

Move: Walk to T17
Action : Attack Klarg with Shortbow

Gavran
2014-11-16, 04:17 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt hurries up the stairs and takes a position in the corner of the room opposite the two enemies. Reaching into the pouch on his belt he retrieves a small corked phial filled with a fine white powder. Chanting a litany that shapes the magic around him, he ritualistically empties the phial into the air, releasing his power in a spell that seeks to lull its victims into unconsciousness.

Start: V12
Move: Walk to S18
Action: Cast Sleep centered on Y20*
HP Pool: [roll0]
Targets: Each creature in range, in ascending HP order, subtracting their current HP from the pool until a creature's hp is greater than the pool.
Effect: Each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake.
Duration: 60 seconds**

*Sleep affects creature "within 20 feet of a point". I'm reading that as Burst 3, but it may be intended as Burst 4. In that case center it on Z21. Basically, I just want the two visible enemies in it but not Auri or Jasper. Though covering the crates just in case something else is hiding back there is a plus.

** Is that still 10 rounds?

End: S18

Note: Here's the text for Unconscious just to remind the party so we can make use of Advantage/crits.

• An unconscious creature is incapacitated (see
the condition), can’t move or speak, and is unaware
of its surroundings
• The creature drops whatever it’s holding and falls
prone.
• The creature automatically fails Strength and
Dexterity saving throws.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
• Any attack that hits the creature is a critical
hit if the attacker is within 5 feet
of the creature.

dariathalon
2014-11-21, 12:12 AM
Baruk

Baruk climbs the stairs into the room, so he has a better view of what's going on. Seeing the menacing Klarg, he immediately prays to Marthammor Duin to burn the bugbear with his holy might. A sacred light shines down, but Klarg is easily able to side-step it's effects.

Move: to position shown
Attack: Sacred Flame on Klarg. He needs a [roll0] vs DC 13 or he'll take [roll1].

Tegu8788
2014-11-22, 07:38 PM
Lew Poole

Seeing a worthy foe, Lew marches up to him, and delivers a strike with his battleaxe.

Move: Walk to Y18
Action: Attack Klarg [roll0] for [roll1] slashing

Meltheim
2014-11-23, 01:26 PM
Initiative - Round 5
Goblins
Party<== Active Turn (Jasper still to go)

The bard's arrow strikes true, while the wizard puts the large wolf to sleep. The cleric's faith is not strong enough to damage the bugbear, but the fighter's axe slashes viciously across the creature's chest. With only the archer left to attack, Klarg wavers on his feet, looking far less mighty than moments ago.

Up Next: The Party (Jasper)

Wdwune
2014-12-02, 08:51 AM
Jasper

Jasper just smirks when the party finally manages to engage Klarg after the creature reveals himself. Calmly he puts and arrow on his string, aims at Klarg, pulls and looses. He immediately steps back to be out of melee range, but thinking about preparing his large sword if something unexpected happens.

Attack with my longbow at Klarg: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Move back from W16 to U16

Meltheim
2014-12-03, 12:29 AM
All - [Goblin Cave]

The arrow pierces the bugbear right through the eye socket as he falls backwards, staggering over his sleeping wolf. Finally he collapses the ground, twitching, but otherwise immobile. A few seconds seem to stretch for hours as the one known as Klarg has his final death throes, before coming to a motionless state. The wolf slumbers on, unaware of anything happening around him.

Thank you for bearing with me through this end of november slowdown that I experienced on the RL side of things.

Klarg is dead, Ripper is sleeping, and you have this chamber to yourselves. You're out of combat now, and can heal, search, etc. to your heart's desire. Ripper will wake up at the end of the Sleep spell if he's not dead or woken up by something else beforehand.

Tegu8788
2014-12-05, 06:59 PM
Lew Poole

Looking back at Jasper, he gives the archer a thumbs up. "Anyone have any use for this dog, or should I..."

dariathalon
2014-12-06, 12:54 AM
Baruk

Baruk slips his warhammer back into a loop on his belt, the looks up to Lew with a frown on his face. He tugs on his beard as he considers the question for a few seconds. "You probably should... you know... Goblins breed their animals to be vicious. He might attack us when he wakes up even without a master to command him to. So for everyone's safety, we should probably just put 'im down."

He turns to the rest of the group. "I only have a few healing spells, if anybody needs one badly. Most of us took at least a hit or two, but I only have a couple of spells. It might be worth seeing if we can hole up somewhere for an hour or so to rest and see about taking the time to bandage our wounds the normal way. I don't want to leave cousin Gundren on his own down here, but it won't do 'im any good if we go getting ourselves in past our beards."

Bounty Hunter
2014-12-07, 10:16 PM

"Pretty much unscathed here..." Auri says, looking herself over as she lowers her weapon and exhales a relieved sigh. She looks at around the room for a better look at their surroundings, she's been in such a rush before she didnt pay it much mind. "That ...thing...was fearsome ... do you think it was their leader? I dont seen any signs of your friend."

dariathalon
2014-12-09, 01:43 AM
Baruk

While he waits for the others to respond, Baruk begins picking over Klarg's corpse looking for anything of use. If he has time thereafter he will begin searching through the rest of the contents of the room as well.

Gavran
2014-12-11, 03:41 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

"Lew, please, slay the beast. Unlike the others kept as sentries and fodder, it seems to be a pet and companion - one we can assume will not take kindly to the death of its master and continued assault on its territory." Tybalt takes a moment to meet the eyes of each of his companions, turning toward Auri last. "You raise an excellent point. If Klarg was in charge of these warrens, then any captives ought to be within the proximity... we should make a quick examination for any further evidence, and provided we don't uncover their bodies, we will have to explore further."

Wdwune
2014-12-11, 03:19 PM
Jasper

"Go ahead, Lew," Jasper says. "Klarg's dead, but his beast is dangerous. Unless you want to wake it up to engage us in a lovely combat..."

He addresses to Baruk. "Thanks pal, but save your blessings for an emergency," he says as he recovers from his previous wound as if he didn't feel pain at all. "These creatures will have to do better if they want a piece of good Jasper."

I'm using Second Wind to recover 1d10+1 hp, but I'll roll it in the OOC thread.

Tegu8788
2014-12-12, 08:59 PM
Lew Poole

Leaning down, Lewis drops his bag. He reaches his hand down, withdrawing a long rope. He loops it around between the legs, wrapping the knots to tighten them, binding the mouth, and pulling all four legs together before making a final knot. "Oh, no, I didn't mean to kill him. A powerful beast like this? He deserves some respect, now that the fight is over."

Gavran
2014-12-13, 12:18 AM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt frowns briefly at the display of irrationality, but decides that conserving his magical reserves for future threats is more likely to be useful than employing them to end the beast himself.
"I do not trust in a simple animal to reciprocate that respect, but at least let's hope we do not come to regret this mercy."

Oghma protect us...

Bounty Hunter
2014-12-15, 12:21 AM

"Does any of this stuff look like it belongs to your friend?." Auri asks once the dog has been tied and she can more freely move through out the room without worry of waking it. She begins to poke around and investigate the boxes stacked in the southern part of the room.

Let me know any checks you need me to make for looking at / among the boxes. Do I recognize any markings or logos etc?

Meltheim
2014-12-18, 07:52 PM
All - [Goblin Cave]

As the party members poke around through the odds and ends in the cave, Auri recognizes a few crates marked with a blue lion insignia, while Jasper and Baruk both spot a treasure chest. The lid is cracked and warped, as if someone used a crowbar to break it open. Inside, the party finds 600 copper pieces, 110 silver pieces, a small statuette of a frog, and a pair of flasks with a blue-green liquid inside. Tybalt quickly recognizes the flasks as potions of healing.

During this time, Lewis finishes tying up the wolf, making sure the bindings are secure without hurting the wolf.

The room smells of dead goblins and wet fur, and the sound of rushing water is all that can be heard. Klarg's motionless corpse lays prone, his tongue lolled out of his mouth and his eyes wide open in shock at having been defeated so easily. There is no sign of either Sildar or Gundren.

Let me know if you want to divide up treasure or just keep group cache for now. I can track this stuff on the google docs tracker.

Bounty Hunter
2014-12-19, 01:54 PM

"I recognize the motif on some of these crates." Auri says, pointing out the blue lion rearing on it's hind legs with a silver shield in the background. She taps her index finger on one of the boxes before shuffling a few other the others around and digging through a few of the broken crates discarded near the southern wall. "I'm sure the compnay would love to see some of this stuff again...but without a way to transport it back to town that might prove to be a bit of a challenger. Find anything of interest over that way?" She asks coming back towards the center of the room and noticing that the others were digging through a large chest.

- - - -

Once they decide what to do with the contents of the treasure chest, the half-elf decides that the best bet would be to head back to the bridge she climbed to earlier. "We should search the caves on the other side of that wooden bridge. If their leader was this close to the entrance I cant imagine the caverns to be much bigger."

dariathalon
2014-12-28, 06:58 PM
Baruk

Baruk shows off the contents of the chest he and Jasper had inventoried to the group. "A nice bit of loot here. Let's put this stuff in a bag and take it out with us. We can divide it up later. If you know who these other chests belong to, we can contact them when we get out of here. But first, I agree with Auri. Let's explore the rest of the caves and hopefully we'll find out what's become of Gundren."

Meltheim
2014-12-30, 02:07 AM
All - [Goblin Caves]

As the party looks around some more, they see that the bridge-like structure that connects to this room arcs back to the west, overlooking the central hallway they entered through. Now that there is no archer on the bridge, however, the path looks clear to explore.

Tegu8788
2014-12-30, 10:33 PM
Lew Poole - [Goblin Caves]

Holding his axe before him, Lew carefully marches through the caves, towards the bridge. If nothing presents itself, he will cautiously cross it.

Prepared to take a defensive action

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-02, 02:14 AM

Deciding to leave the question of the crates until after the threats had been cleared from the cave and the group's missing friend found, Auri follows the others with her bow drawn and ready. She takes quick yet careful steps as the move along through the twisted tunnels and keeps a wary eye out for any traps the goblins may have tried to rig. Once they return to the rickety wooden bridge she waits and listens for any sign of danger while the others take turns crossing before she does so herself. She didnt want to risk the chance of overloading the thin bridge with an entire troupe of adventurers and their gear. The fall would not be a pleasant one, what with nothing but rock and freezing water below and the noise likely drawing the attention of more goblins even if they were to survive the plummet.

Perception: [roll0] - Checking for traps and listening as we make our way across the bridge and to the caves beyond.

Wdwune
2015-01-05, 04:15 PM
Jasper

Humbly accepting his share, Jasper nods upon the idea of exploring the place. "Count on me! I've got this." Still with his bow in his hands, he takes once again the role of forward scout as he scans the bridge for any sign of hostile activity (or goblin retaliation).

Once I'm at the bridge, I make a Perception check: [roll0]

... And just in case, a Stealth check: [roll1]

Meltheim
2015-01-05, 04:58 PM
All - [Goblin Caves]

Using their wits and relying on Jasper's stealth, the party carefully traverses the rickety bridge. No guards appear to be present - it being entirely likely that they already killed what few were around. The rushing of the water still create a loud buffer, allowing the party to slowly approach. Light flickers ahead, and Jasper is able to see a large cave, divided in half by a ten-foot high escarpment. A steep natural staircase leads from the lower portion to the upper ledge. The air is hazy with the smoke of a cooking fire, and pungent from the smell of poorly-cured hides and unwashed goblins.

Five goblins sit in a circle around the fire, while another goblin kicks and laughs at a large shape in the southern corner, which makes a groaning sound.

Map updated.

The party has successfully snuck up on the goblins, and the three sword-wielding creatures have their backs to the hallway. The party has surprise on those three goblins, if they should choose to attack.

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-05, 05:10 PM

Auri nocks an arrow into her bowstring and makes herself ready, vying to find a spot that would allow for a clear shot. The narrow cave didnt allow for much room for movement so she tried to keep to the rear where the others could more readily file into the room to engage the creature in melee combat. Keeping her breathing slow and steady, she waits for an indication from the others as to what their plan of attack might be while trying not to let her mind linger on the horrid smell wafting from the room. It would appear that they have found the final room of the cavern and more importantly the prisoner looks to be alive still.

dariathalon
2015-01-06, 01:22 AM
Baruk

Baruk follows the others across the bridge. Seeing the scene before them, his heart immediately jumps into his throat. "Is that Gundren in the corner?" he thinks. He didn't know whether to hope it was, since it would at least mean he was alive, or hope it wasn't because whoever it was certainly wasn't being treated very well. He glares at the goblin standing over the prisoner, readying a spell in his mind to punish him for the poor man's mistreatment.

Wdwune
2015-01-06, 04:13 PM
Jasper

After whispering to briefly report what he sees, Jasper slowly shakes his head. "Avoiding those five goblins is impossible," he whispers to the party. "If we want to check the grunting prisoner, we need to either confront them or distract them."

Meltheim
2015-01-06, 04:29 PM
All - [Goblin Caves]

While the party discusses what to do amongst themselves, the goblin on the upper level turns around, snickering to himself. He appears more ornately dressed than the others, with a few bits of feather and brightly polished metal here and there. He laughs a bit, then says "Sildar yw'r hoelion wyth nid yw mor gryf nawr!" to the other goblins, who all laugh in turn. "Klarg yn ffôl i'w ladd. Pe Roedd Yesnick wrth y llyw, gallai Yesnick pridwerth iddo!" The other goblins hoot and holler and a few raise their weapons in the air and shout "Yesnick!"

The fancy goblin thumps his chest when saying Yesnick is if that were his name. You clearly make out the other names, Sildar and Klarg as well.

"Sildar the Stalwart isn't so strong now." and "Klarg is a fool to kill him. If Yesnick were in charge, Yesnick could ransom him!"

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-07, 11:42 PM

The half-elven woman didn't know what the goblin had said but she gathered that he was obviously senior among those in this room of the cave. Not liking the narrow tunnel that the group found themselves in should a fight break out, she decides to put a bit of her magic to use. Silently humming the tune of a song she'd learned while traveling to the north she slips past the other members of the group to afford a clear line of sight to her targets, she readies the spell and releases it.

Move : J7
Action : Cast Sleep on E7. [roll0]
Move : Back to J5

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber.
Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points o f creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).
Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Subtract each creature’s hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature’s hit points must be equalto or less than the remaining total for that creature
to be affected.
Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren’t affected by this spell.
At Higher Levels
When you cast this spell using a spell slot o f 2nd level or higher, roll an additional 2d8 for each slot level above 1st.

dariathalon
2015-01-08, 01:47 AM
Baruk

Baruk rushes forward weaving his way past his companions until he can see the goblin threatening their prisoner. The last thing he wanted is for Gundren, or whoever it was, to get killed during their attempt to rescue him. He makes the quick decision that the best way to see that it would not happen is to get the goblin leader away from poor man. Baruk thrusts his warhammer in the direction of the goblin on the level above. As he looks the goblin in the eye, he speaks a single word that is filled with divine might. "APPROACH!"

Move: to I7
Action: Cast Command on Bow Goblin 3. [roll0] vs DC 13.

Wdwune
2015-01-08, 02:32 PM
Jasper

Jasper sighs at the loss of surprise element, but he recognizes the clever tactics that Auri and Baruk developed: Both spells combined were hopefully enough to take care of the goblins. He aims an arrow to the goblin group, but doesn't fire it yet, waiting patiently for the goblins to come...

Move from J6 to I8

Ready an action to fire an arrow at the first goblin not affected by the sleep spell.
· Attack: [roll0]
· Damage: [roll1]

Meltheim
2015-01-08, 03:35 PM
Initiative - Round 1
Goblins
Party<== Active Turn (Lewis and Tybalt still to go)

Catching the group of goblins by surprise, Auri quickly renders three of them unconscious while a fourth appears to waver. Baruk steps forth and commands the supposed leader, though the spell has little effect, other than announcing to the goblins that enemies had entered their lair.

Jasper, on the other hand, finds that his arrow strikes true - nailing one of the goblins solidly in the chest. Though not defeated, the goblin does its best to scramble into some sort of fighting stance.

The group sees that the creature on the floor in the corner is far too large to be a dwarf.

Up Next: The Party (Lewis, Tybalt)

Tegu8788
2015-01-08, 04:38 PM
Lew Poole

Making his way behind the spell casters, he seeing the only standing Goblin out of his axe's reach, and hurls a javelin at his foe.

Move: H7
[roll0] against Bow 3 for [roll1] piercing damage

Gavran
2015-01-09, 01:17 AM
Mentally translating the goblin's chatter, Tybalt takes a moment to consider the details for any significance to their mission. Recalling nothing particularly related, he opts to not translate for the others' benefit; instead quietly advising "The captive is called Sildar the Stalwart. The speaker, Yesnick, appears to have ambitions to succeed Klarg. If left alive, we may be able to bargain with him for information. He may be content to scurry off with whatever surviving supporters he can, now that Klarg is eliminated."

---

Making his own way into the cavern, Tybalt focuses his attack alongside Jasper's, aiming his frigid will at the wounded goblin.

Move to G6

Action: Ray of Frost vs Bow Goblin 1

Meltheim
2015-01-12, 03:50 PM
Initiative - Round 2
Goblins
Party<== Active Turn

Goblins fall left and right as the party demonstrates their combat prowess. The remaining archer by the fire takes aim at Tybalt, hoping to avenge his fallen ally.

The leader, up on the higher level, shouts something to his archer, then raises his own hands and puts down his bow. He moves to stand next to Sildar and shouts to the party "You want him? You do what I say or I kill him. You try something funny and I kill him and you both." in broken Common. The party can see that he's got a dagger to Sildar's throat. A thin trickle of blood dribbles down the man's neck.

Up Next: The Party

Gavran
2015-01-12, 05:47 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

Tybalt lowers his hands to his sides, taking a less aggressive stance. Speaking in the goblin's own tongue, he replies "I will hear your words, and as my friends here are a mixed bunch, I shall also speak your words for them so there will be no accidents." Then, turning to bring both his companions into his field of view along with the goblin he asks in his natural Elvish and again in a clearly book-learned rendition of Dwarvish "This Yesnick's faltering grasp of the common tongue leads me to believe he likely speaks no other languages. We should be able to formulate a plan under the guise of translation. Do any of you recognize Sildar?"

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-17, 12:31 PM

Having never met Sildar, the bard gives a slow shrug but keeps her bow ready with an arrow nocked. Responding in elvish she asks "Do we plan to come to an agreement of sorts or are we still looking to be rid of the creatures for good? Those others won't be asleep for long, and a nudge or two from their friends could wake them."

Wdwune
2015-01-19, 01:24 PM
Jasper

Jasper understands only Elvish and Common, but he got the point of the conversation. Slowly aiming his bow at the goblin with the hostage, he replies Tybalt in Elvish: "Offer that goblin the chance to run for his life. Tell the same to the rest of them. We have the advantage; he's dead if he does something to the hostage."

Ready an action: Fire an arrow at the goblin's head if he does something to the hostage.

Gavran
2015-01-22, 11:57 PM
Tybalt Thalanrien

In the goblin tongue "My companions and I have killed many of your people already. Klarg himself lies dead at our hands. Sildar is not the one we seek and we will not be hindered by you or your threats. We offer you - all of you - a chance: flee now and we will not hunt you down. Harm your captive, and you will be swiftly reunited with your leader."

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-23, 12:39 AM

Auri keeps a close watch on the lead goblin and prepares to fire if he makes move to harm the prisoner.

Action : Ready a ranged bow attack if the goblin tries anything funny.

Meltheim
2015-01-27, 12:27 PM
Initiative - Round 2
Goblins
Party<== Active Turn

The leader hears Tybalt's words, his eyes opening wide with a bit of realization. "Klarg dead?" the goblin replies, looking suspiciously at the party. "Yesnick smart - Yesnick not be tricked by you. You bring Klarg head or I take Sildar head. Fast now - they wake up soon" he gestures toward his slumbering companions with the dagger

Slider's eyes slowly open, and he catches attention of the party members. As soon as the dagger is away from his throat he shouts hoarsely "Don't trust him!" Yesnick immediately puts the dagger back at his throat. "You go get Klarg head now."

Up Next: The Party (Everyone gets one more bit of RP before we have to resume taking actions)

Bounty Hunter
2015-01-29, 12:01 AM

"Course of action?" Auri says, realizing that time was of the essence.

Action : Continue to hold a readied action.