PDA

View Full Version : craziest item created by your party

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-02, 09:45 PM
The title is pretty self explanitory. A guy in one of my groups in college added the pants slot and created the parachute pants of charisma (after the man who actually made them a fashion statement back in the 80's, Mr. M.C. Hammer).

ilovefire
2007-03-02, 10:01 PM
The Flamethrowery Flamer of Firey Flamy Burning Doom, Death, Destruction, and Flames. AKA the FFoFFBDDDaF. AKA the 'pyromaniac's playtoy'. A little thing I may or may not introduce sometime to a group of my PCs (I'm not looking at you, This Land folk.) It allows the use of Burning Hands at will at CL 20, Scorching Ray 3/day at CL 20, and Fireball at CL 20. It's, in short... a flamethrower/missile launcher. I thought it was clever.

fallensavior
2007-03-02, 10:33 PM
Ring of protection +15

marjan
2007-03-02, 10:42 PM
Bag of Many Teas.

We intended to make it and open snackbar or something like that, but we never had the time. Basicaly the tea bag that never runs out of uses and can change flavor at command.

PS: This qualifies best as "The craziest item almost made by your party", but since that thread doesn't exist I just had to put it here.

AmberVael
2007-03-02, 11:03 PM
Amulet of Liquification.

Instantly turns the wearer into liquid (of the non-animated variety). The wearer may activate/deactivate this as he wishes. Equipment becomes part of the liquid.

Our DM didn't see the potential this had (and therefore made it fairly easy to make)... until we made a squirtgun and began shooting the party fighter at people. :smallbiggrin:

It was a very wacky campaign...

CharPixie
2007-03-03, 06:58 AM
Gloves of Shoving. I kid ye not.

BlueWizard
2007-03-03, 07:00 AM
Lingerie of Dex +2

Very NIIICE!

Iden
2007-03-03, 08:10 AM
Mug of Alcohol at Will.

JellyPooga
2007-03-03, 09:03 AM
Two items, used interchangably...

Cigars of Sweet Air

and

Cigars of Stinking Cloud

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-03, 09:46 AM
Not as funny as the others, but still -

The Black Hole Machine.

Basically gives the ability to cast sphere of ultimate destruction. At will. For those who don't know, it creates a small black hole doing 40d6 damage, and lasts for 20 rounds. The ability to deal 2800 damage to anything, all the time, for 1 standard action per round. The cost? A measly 360,000 gp.

Rigeld2
2007-03-03, 09:48 AM
Meh.. not too out of line. It is epic after all.

Bryn
2007-03-03, 09:54 AM
Portable Holes combined with Tenser's Floating Disc are always fun. For example... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35035)

After creating that, however, I decided to take the idea a little further.

The Grand Portable Hole Mobile

It seems at first like a large square box, three feet across and two high. It hovers steadily three feet above the ground, although no sound can be heard to indicate its manner of movement. Long cracks in arcane yet regular patterns run along its length, with a number of small round holes in certain places from which puffs of smoke occasionally emerge. A strange blue glow emerges from the cracks, and attached to one side is a smooth metal quarter of a 3-foot radius circle with hinges at the top and side. A row of buttons run along one edge, with small brass plaques indicating their function. A small, 5-cm hemisphere stands at one point along its length.

Inside the device is a Tenser's Floating Disc, which is continuously cast by the item itself. This allows it to fly 3ft above the ground at a rate of 30ft/round.

The buttons and their functions are as follows:
This button makes a large section on one end of the cart swing down, revealing a leather seat and several foot pedals and buttons that mimic the functions of the following buttons. Specifically, button 2, button 3, button 4, and button 6 can be activated from the foot pedals. The individual sitting in the seat is considered to be the caster of the Tenser's Floating Disc spell inside it.
This button makes the semicircle swing upwards to create a flat disc, on which is glued a Portable Hole. When the disc is flat, the Portable Hole opens to reveal an extradimensional space, described below.
This button makes a fusillade of darts fire at the nearest enemy, with a sliding dial next to it to determine how many squares in front of the PHM the targets are.
This button, usable once a day, turns off the Tenser's Floating Disc inside the PHM, and immediately casts Levitate instead.
This button slides open a piece of metal to reveal a row of Masterwork tools, each in their respective slot. It also reveals a slightly depressed area designed for use as a workspace.
This button activates a Light spell on a small disc on each end of the PHM.
This button, situated above the sword slot, makes the covering slide away and a +1 Masterwork Greatsword emerge from the slot. The slot is closed again when then greatsword is pushed back in.Inside the Portable Hole mounted on the side, a cramped space is revealed. This space contains a small mattress, several shelves of books which contain a variety of volumes, a large number of compartments containing less-used tools and materials as well as supplies of food. A command word activated water dispenser casts Create Water. A Bottle of Air provides fresh air for the occupants of the Hole. It is impossible to see outside from inside the Hole, however if the individual inside wants to come out then they can press a button to open the small hemisphere. This reveals a Continual Flame.
Cost:
500gp for Fusillade of Darts trap
900gp for Create Water dispenser
1000gp for use-activated Open/Close (which opens appropriate hatch or compartment depending on button)
1000gp for use-activated Light
2000gp for Continuous Tenser's Floating Disc
2400gp for 1/day Levitate.
7250gp for a Bottle of Air
20000gp for Portable Hole (granted free by Adam)
Cost sans PH: 15050 gp (7525gp to make)
Cost inc PH: 35050 gp (17525gp to make)Cost does not include contents.

JellyPooga
2007-03-03, 10:03 AM
I once tried to stat a 'Decanter of Endless Wine' for a worshiper of Alobal Lorfiril (Elven Demi-God of Hedonism)...given that it would have had to have been based off of a 5th level (I think...one of the creation ones) spell as opposed to a 0 lvl spell (Create Water), instead of costing the reasonable 9,000 (for endless water) it had some ridiculous cost in double figure thousands (around 40,000 if I remember correctly)...even though I decided to take out the 'Geyser' function....hey ho, he just ended up with a Handy Haversack entirely dedicated to Ale and Wine (I think he had a tun barrel of ale in the main pocket and the side pockets were full of bottles of wine (cheap in the left, expensive in the right)...and a tankard and a wine glass obviously). He never lacked a drink and making camp for the night always went a bit smoother with a drink or two down everyone...

I bet the wine from a Decanter of Endless Wine tastes 'orrible anyway...

Rabiesbunny
2007-03-03, 10:25 AM
it's not much, but once the Gondian cleric in the party converted his wagon into a catapault. We were besieging the small Keep of the Knights of the North. My druid's animal companion, a rat, and the Dragon Disciple used their claws to scale the wall, and our skymage used her Nightmare -- the rest of us couldn't get past the iron gates.

The Gondian was firing his scrap metal in the catapault, and my druid cast Tortoise Shell (An FR spell that turns a small tortoise shell into a 5' tall one, weighing 10 lbs to you, 500 to everyone else.) They put the Tortoise shell in the catapult and broke down the gates! Now that we're in town, I'm lining that baby with metal spikes.

NullAshton
2007-03-03, 10:33 AM
...there's a forgotten realms spell that creates a giant koopa shell? Sweet!

InaVegt
2007-03-03, 11:37 AM
Rowboat of expeditious retreat at will, cast on the rowboat (a rowboat going faster than a longship is very nice)

Artanis
2007-03-03, 12:09 PM
Portable Holes combined with Tenser's Floating Disc are always fun. For example... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35035)
That is AWESOME! It's especially good for Warmages, since Floating Disc is AFAIK the best utility spell they can get at earlier levels (barring PHB2).

As for me, I haven't been in enough campaigns to have anything really, really awesome come up. But a few of the better ones:

--In an Ebberron campaign that I joined, the party had originally had a Ninja as its primary damage dealer and a Paladin as its main healer...so the DM let the Artificer cook up a Wand of Magic Missile Or Cure Light Wounds, which could spend charges on either spell, but had a chance of casting the wrong one (i.e. blasting a wounded teammate instead of healing them).
--Later in that campaign, we made a Hobgoblin Trap that would make Wile E. Coyote weep with pride, including the cheesy blueprints!

Rykaj
2007-03-03, 12:17 PM
I made goggles of ray of frost for a party member who was always obsessed with arresting evildoers. Command word: Freeze!

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 12:19 PM
Making a weapon with a wand slot is very useful.

I believe I had a pyromancer with a spear of Fire, Fiery Burst, Spell Storing (storing a Fireball), and Thundering. It also had a 10th level Wand of Fireball in it, and a Wall of Fire one. Fully activated it was quite awesome.

EDIT: Here's another one I just remembered:

THE GUN
1) Obtain a Lesser Rod of Maximize/Extend/Enlarge/Empower, whichever you prefer (These rods must be hollow and made of adamantine (so it doesn't break, this is costly))
2) Fix a trigger and handle to the rod(s), allow trigger to access the hollow space of the rod.
3) Affix a rotating device inside of the rod with slots big enough for wands (lets say... 6 spots)
4) Buy wands. Suggested wands: Magic Missile, Acid Arrow, Web, Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Wall of Fire/Ice.
5) Place wands into rotating chamber (make button(s) on the outside of the chamber to rotate the wands. (free action)
6) Kill stuff.

P.S. The Metamagic rods are not necessary, but greatly improve the effectiveness of the weapon. Maybe use a separate rod for each wand? Separate ability for maximum effectiveness.

The_Werebear
2007-03-03, 12:39 PM
A group I was DMing for had a necromancer who bought a carriage, cleared out the inside, turned it into a portable lab, then animated it. He also put bone spikes on the wheels, so it could run people over and slash them at the same time.

So, it was a necromancer riding a bone covered, horseless carriage covered in bones from all angles. And it was filled with undead and severed body parts.

The party wasn't welcomed in towns very often after that.

EndgamerAzari
2007-03-03, 12:48 PM
The Bag o' Bees:

Grey ioun stones. 1 gold apiece. Buy many, paint them black and yellow, put them all in a bag. Open the bag in a crowed area, yell: "BEEEEES!"

sigurd
2007-03-03, 12:48 PM
I think my favourite item, sadly I did not make it up.

Necklace of Tuesday. - inside the necklace it is always Tuesday.

Sigurd

NullAshton
2007-03-03, 12:55 PM
I think one of the neatest items my group ever made was an animated wagon and carriage, so we wouldn't have to hassle with horses in a combat situation. Not to mention, the whole construct would be a valid target for wind walk, for quick travel without teleport.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-03-03, 12:58 PM
This item was made by one of the players a few years past, she designed it for her underage elven wizard (she only about 90 years old), and her character wore it as a condition from her parents to allow her to go adventuring...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the

Panties of chastity
These confortable cotton panties cannot be removed (even by force) from the owner without speaking the command word.

Also, while these panties are worn, the insides are kept clean and fresh indefinitely, and the body does not need to generate waste byproducts.

If someone tries to pull them off, rip them or damage them in any way, the panties become bonded to the skin and gain a hard, metallic sheen. In this state, they have Hardness 20, 50hp and gain DR 15/adamantine for the purposes of protecting the user from a rape or "an unworthy suitor".

Strong Transmutation; CL 15; Stoneskin, Hygiene; unique item (no price)

Penguinizer
2007-03-03, 02:17 PM
Well, for our RB pbp I was trying to stat out the "Electric" Lute. It involved ventriloquisming the sound of the lute to two gems with amplify cast on them. Might not work. I can say that the idea was shot down fast :P

Especially in the setting.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-03, 02:32 PM
I think the most unique thing any PC ever created was a Decanter of Endless Lava. I forget exactly how much I charged him for it, but the number of uses he found for it were astonishing.

LotharBot
2007-03-03, 03:07 PM
1) Decanter of endless sucking. Like a decanter of endless water, but in reverse.

2) Michael's Magnificent Shoes. Give a bonus to jumping and certain perform skills. "Like Mike, if I could be like Mike."

Mewtarthio
2007-03-03, 03:26 PM
Amulet of Liquification.

Instantly turns the wearer into liquid (of the non-animated variety). The wearer may activate/deactivate this as he wishes. Equipment becomes part of the liquid.

But if they're inanimate liquid, how can they "wish" to deactivate it? :smallbiggrin:

martyboy74
2007-03-03, 03:30 PM
Magic.

post limit...

Pocket lint
2007-03-03, 03:32 PM
I bet the wine from a Decanter of Endless Wine tastes 'orrible anyway...
But then, some questions automatically arise...

1) Does this mean that there's an Elemental Plane of Wine, and
2) How do I get there?

Collin152
2007-03-03, 03:35 PM
Planeshift, duh!
It sits on the opposite end of the plane of ALe, which itelf borders the plane of vodka. The Prime Material is Co-Planar with the plane of Whisky and the Plane of Cocktails.

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 04:37 PM
Planeshift, duh!
It sits on the opposite end of the plane of ALe, which itelf borders the plane of vodka. The Prime Material is Co-Planar with the plane of Whisky and the Plane of Cocktails.

I should sell ports there...

Nahal
2007-03-03, 04:39 PM
In one campaign we had something akin to Beer of Annihiation; it was Odin's personal beer keg. Drinking it gave +10 to fort saves and -5 to INT until you sobered up.

I never really had much time to make magic item in my fantasy campaigns, however I spent ungodly amounts of time mucking around with equipment and vehicle designs in the T20 system. Some of my favourites:

Ninja armor
Based off something I read in a novel, it was essentially a special cloth suit with a protective mesh lining over a highly reflective plastic (in case you got shot with laser fire). When active, it gave +5 to hide and move silently as well as additional armor against projectile and melee damage (the cloth would stiffen upon being hit, absorbing some of the blow. It ran off a converted laser rifle power pack, which could still be used to power said laser rifle. Of course, at that point power drain could become an issue if you weren't careful. There was also a variant withheavier cloth that gave more armor but didn't provide stealthy bonuses.

Grav Sled of Doom
One-man jet-bike, used antigravity for propulsion and could hit 1000km/h without breaking a sweat. Also had ridiculously strong armor, and a pressurized/climate-controlled interior in case you wanted to break orbit. There was also an optional weapon turret, but you couldn't put anything in there heavy enough to affect vehicles (although I did design a gattling gun that would be interesting, except weapon range increments in this system make most man-portable weapons useless in high-speed vehicular combat). It was bloody expensive, but you could outrun just about anything this side of a starship and probably take a couple direct hits from its weapons. Plus it only weighed half a metric ton.

Chaingun of Leetness
This system sadly did not list any gattling weapons under equipment. This, I thought, was just wrong. So I made two. The first one carried 1,000 rounds and fired fast enough to shred most infantry targets. The second weighed 87kg (including a magazine with 3,000 rounds) and did 10d12 damage per burst (due to bonus dice for high firing rates). In T20, that's just a little silly (since it has a vitality/wound point system for HP, and firearms always do lethal damage if they penetrate armor). If it hit an opponent, the result usually resembled ground beef.

Remote-Controlled Robot
Basically you sit in a special-made chair, hook yourself up to a neural scanner, and control a half-ton robot with 40 strength using your mind. Good times, especially with the model that came with gravitic stabilizers. That way it could take full advantage of its insane lifting capacity and throw cars at people, or move at up to 200 km/h. Never got the chance to make one, but even if I did it wouldn't have been all that much help in our campaign. Plus, with only 28 AC it wasn't exactly unkillable (though the armor plating was thick enough to shrug off anything less than fusion guns or vehicle weapons).
Also, it could see you by your neural activity.

Quincunx
2007-03-03, 06:39 PM
Not in a gaming system per-se, but deserves a mention: AARKaSL (http://www.themightypen.net/index.php?showtopic=13900), the Automatic Alternating Repeating Kendricke and Scorn Launcher. The two mentioned were on the opposite ends of the flamewarriors' spectrum, and were always bickering. Knight's ghastly invention sprayed two streams of tiny clones, which burst into argument upon contact.

"The Automatic Alternating Repeating Kendricke and Scorn Launcher was a weapon created in the ye olde yesteryears of Terra past. It would be more accurate to describe it as a cloning engine- it was powered by technology long lost, and contained a micro-fusion drive, and a spiffy little supercomputer that would make even the most powerful Japanese models envious. And for a good reason.. It had to control the genetic replication of several hundred Kendrickes and Scorns a second, and forced their extremely quick maturation into the adult form of the individuals in question- the two were the complete opposites of one another, and it was said that if they ever actually contacted one another- a resultant matter, anti-matter explosion would take place. Hence the heavy weight, and lead shielding installed around the cloning drive. Knight had used it many times before, and it was fortunate to note that the ammunition never actually fought- they were too... 'intellectual' if you will, but the ensuing babble and psychobabble, and flaming and flamewarring was usually sufficient to drive a target mad. Like all things uber-potent, the Kendrickes and Scorns had an extremely short half-life, and quickly died off, much to the relief of its bearer, and those who were responsible for ammunition clean up. (You think I'd actually try to clean that mess up?)" --Knight

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-03, 09:24 PM
One guy in our party construced, somehow, an adamantine ladder. The top and bottom rungs were immovable rods (the buttons stuck out the side).

This monk/drunken master always had an elevation bonus. Always. And he used the ladder as his weapon.

Vaynor
2007-03-03, 09:32 PM
One guy in our party construced, somehow, an adamantine ladder. The top and bottom rungs were immovable rods (the buttons stuck out the side).

This monk/drunken master always had an elevation bonus. Always. And he used the ladder as his weapon.

*puts halfling party member on top end and lifts the whole thing up*
*halfling clicks button for top end*
*we start it swinging, halfling gets spun*
*jumps off with swords*

What kinda bonus would that be?

Nahal
2007-03-03, 09:42 PM
Circumstance

Amphimir Míriel
2007-03-04, 10:59 PM

Excellent Jackie Chan-type of weapon!

Jannex
2007-03-05, 01:10 AM
Wondrous Item: Closet of Prestidigitation.

In a single item, my PCs invented the shower, the clothes washer/dryer, and the hair salon. This was useful for them, as the campaign was set in a "Waterworld"-esque setting.

paigeoliver
2007-03-05, 10:35 AM
I had one character commission a magic item in the form of a magic cone he could stick in his mouth so that he could breathe his line breath weapon as a cone.

It sounded like a feat to me, and coming from an unslotted item, so I priced it the same as the ioun stone that gives you alertness.

I would love to have a wand of donkeys myself. Use a charge and a (permanent) donkey pops out. Donkeys have a million uses to the adventurer, but you can't really bring too many of them with you without hiring donkey wranglers and all that.

Quietus
2007-03-05, 11:45 AM
So essentially, you want your very own *** rod?

MaxKaladin
2007-03-05, 11:46 AM
In my college campaigns, I had one player who was always coming up with odd things. The first one that comes to mind are the magic doors he made for his suite of rooms in the party's headquarters. He based them off the Item spell (I think it's called Shrink or something like that in 3.x). Their function was to shrink up into the doorframe whenever someone approached (unless a command word had been spoken to "lock" the door). Basically, he was making Star Trek style sliding doors...

Something I did in that game was throw in some "odd" magic items. The two that I can remember at the moment are the Cap (one of those "Robin Hood" type caps) that gave +5 to AC (but only if worn backwards) and the calf boots that would, upon command, sprout a line of wheels on the bottom that would allow the wearer to skate along at high speed (roller blades, basically). There were more items of that nature that I don't recall at the moment. The party didn't use either item themselves. One of them was a knight and they ended up piling all these items on his squire instead, so they had a 14 year old kid following them around on roller blades with his hat on backwards (and some other things of that nature).

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 12:55 PM
The Hat of Indifference. Deadly against paladins and all that.

Baalzebub
2007-03-05, 12:59 PM
Planeshift, duh!

WTF?? PLANESHIFT ME THERE!! NOW!!! :smallfurious:

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-05, 01:05 PM
I had someone want to create a ring of continual effect True Strike, once.

They NEVER found the body

Nahal
2007-03-05, 02:05 PM
Actually I think wizards statted it out once, and it cost like 200k GP. They treated it as providing a +20 attack bonus on an abnomral item or something to that effect.

NullAshton
2007-03-05, 02:11 PM
Actually I think wizards statted it out once, and it cost like 200k GP. They treated it as providing a +20 attack bonus on an abnomral item or something to that effect.

Incorrect actually. First you take it as weapon bonus, which gives a value in the range of 800,000. Then you halve it since it only applies on to-hit, reducing it to 400,000. Since it's an inappropriately slotted item, the cost is multiplied by 1.5, increasing it to 600,000. Since it is an epic item, the cost is multiplied by 10, coming up with a final cost of 6,000,000 gold pieces.

Tengu
2007-03-05, 02:21 PM
Or you could just make a ring of RAW permanent True Strike - which gives you +20 on your next attack roll, whenever you do it, and then do nothing at all.

Gerrtt
2007-03-05, 02:30 PM
Not made by the party so much but our DM once made a harp for my bard that let me use Charm Person with a DC 14 3 times a day or add 14 to the save for my bardic music abilities 3 times day and I could mix and match how they were allotted (ie a Charm Person and 2 Bardic Music DC increases if I wanted). This was unanimously decided to be a bad choice after I fascinated and suggested to the BBEG that it was a good idea to give up on his plan for world domination in order to pursue the life of a farmer, dying as an old man happy in his bed and he aggreed dispite rolling a natural 18 and adding his hefty will save bonus.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 02:38 PM
My PCs are boring. A hair comb of nondetection.

Quietus
2007-03-05, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah? I can top that, Fax - the most interesting thing I've made, personally, was a set of Glamered everything. From his mithril breastplate, to his cloak of resistance, to his boots of striding and springing, to his helm of teleportation (and helm of mind blank, when I buy it), EVERYTHING that my character Rojoro wears is glamered.

The net result of that? He looks like he's wearing/covered in rags. Always. He's a halfdragon, you see, in a world where dragons are considered to be kill-on-sight. His size makes people assume he's got giant blood or something, and he's always got a bad mood, so people avoid him naturally.

Thiel
2007-03-05, 02:59 PM
Can't remember what we called them but we had a gnome wizard who crafted a pair of socks that couldn't get more than 3 feet away from each other.

Not the party but the DM. A pair of cursed boots that looked like a pair of Boots of Stealth, but in reality was a pair of Boots of Biting, Screaming and Annoying Colours. Did 2d6 damage when you took them on and an additional 1d6 damage per day you wore them. The damage couldn't be healed without removing the boots. On top of that you had to make a Fort save DC 22 every hour or be deafened for 3d4 hours. Oh, and when you took them on they immediately changed colour from black to whatever colour provided the most contrast to the backdrop. Gave a -40 penalty to Move Silently, Hide and handle Animals due to the noise and the garish colours.
Nasty item that one.

Awetugiw
2007-03-05, 03:23 PM
Or you could just make a ring of RAW permanent True Strike - which gives you +20 on your next attack roll, whenever you do it, and then do nothing at all.

Well, actually I'd say that there is precendent (take the "symbol of" spells for example) to say that an item of permanent true strike would only go inactive for 10 minutes after using it.

Which would be a pretty good thing, really. A sword that gives a +20 to hit (and some other benefits) every 10 minutes isn't really overpowered, but still useful.

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-05, 09:28 PM
Here's another creation, a product of a diseased mind (This player invested solid ranks in profession: cook as well as create wondrous item). His idea was to create a poison that you'd put on an enemy's toast or something that robbed him of luck of any kind, giving him -4 penalties to skill checks and attack rolls. What did he call it?
Margarine of Error.

The_Werebear
2007-03-05, 09:40 PM
One that I wanted to do, but never got to..

The Gnomish Optical Ignitor

This is a 15 foot disc, a 10 foot disc, and a 5 foot disc, all made of glass and set into an intricate system of tracks and gears. The discs can be shifted with a minimum of effort, then locked in place. The whole contraption is mounted on a giant tower and tilted slightly towards the ground. When people whom the owners of said device don't want to approach get too close for comfort, the discs are aligned with the sun behind them and aimed at the foes. Fun times.

Collin152
2007-03-05, 10:54 PM
IIRC, by Raw it would go like this:
Round 1- Activate Item
Round 2- Attack with first attack at +20
Round 3- Repeat cycle

So you would be attacking every other round, but you would be almost guarenteed to hit. hm... Keen Scythe of True Striking?

Jamie Fameflame
2007-03-05, 10:59 PM
Can't remember what we called them but we had a gnome wizard who crafted a pair of socks that couldn't get more than 3 feet away from each other.
\

- So now he loses both socks when doing the laundry? :smallbiggrin:

JimmyDPawn
2007-03-06, 03:30 AM
I had a player want an inventor(read:ZANY inventor) character. This is the list of items he created, and would have still created, given time;

Spring/explosive powered floor panel transportation unit.

Wall-Walking light bug.

Extreme joy buzzer.

Sphere o' wires.

Rocket skates.

Velocipoptor. (Not to be confused with velociraptor)

One plot device potion.

Probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Gnomish extendo boots.
-The only reason I bring this up was not the concept (they were to allow our rogue gnome to backstab tall opponents), but the way he went about making them. He was working on the late into the night, and when he completed the prototype, the rogue was busy with 'other business' and he wanted to test them out. So he goes wandering the streets, and at this hour the only person he can find who is of the proper size? Halfling *ahem* streetwalker. No problem for the great Ertrem. Now, I had secretly rolled his first test checks, and what did it come up? A one. The boots fail to go off at the same time, flinging the poor halfling through the air to one side, and onto her head. Failed save, she's unconscious. So Ertrem takes the boots, leaves some money, and wanders off, leaving this unconscious *ahem again* streetwalker lying in the street.

Rolaran
2007-03-06, 05:21 AM
Never did it, but ran it by a DM once:

Rig an Immovable Rod so that it activates by pulling a cord instead of pushing a button. Attach the cord to a 10-ft long rope. Next time you encounter a large chasm, toss the Rod up and forward. When it gets 10 feet away, the rope snaps taut and the rod activates.

Basically lets you do the Indiana Jones thing where he lashes the whip around a rock and swings to safety, but you supply your own rock, conveniently placed in midair. :smallbiggrin:

However, it was pointed out (and rightly so) that getting this item back after you swing would be a pain...

Thiel
2007-03-06, 06:28 AM
That's easy, give it a command word.

Rolaran
2007-03-06, 06:30 AM
That's easy, give it a command word.

Whoa...

Why didn't I think of that?

Okay, now I might actually try to build one...

PnP Fan
2007-03-06, 10:52 AM
I had a party once with a warlock/shadowcaster whose favorite tactic was to drop an area of darkness on the enemy, and watch them scramble. The unfortunate side effect of this was that it also affected the party. (Did you know that Darkvision doesn't allow you to see through unnatural darkness, like the spell Darkness? They didn't!) So after a couple of combats where the party was gimping itself (in close quarters darkness is as much a problem to the party as it is to the enemy), WotC publishes the Spell Compendium, which includes a 1st or 2nd level spell that allows the caster to see through Darkness as if they were viewing the world under the ambient lighting conditions. .. yep, you guessed it, NightVision goggles. Doesn't help much at night, when the ambient conditions are dark anyway, but during the daylight or normal lighting, it was very useful.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-06, 04:55 PM
Whoa...

Why didn't I think of that?

Okay, now I might actually try to build one...

Make it double-sided, with a separated command word for each. And then knot the rope.

martyboy74
2007-03-06, 05:06 PM
I had a party once with a warlock/shadowcaster whose favorite tactic was to drop an area of darkness on the enemy, and watch them scramble. The unfortunate side effect of this was that it also affected the party. (Did you know that Darkvision doesn't allow you to see through unnatural darkness, like the spell Darkness? They didn't!) So after a couple of combats where the party was gimping itself (in close quarters darkness is as much a problem to the party as it is to the enemy), WotC publishes the Spell Compendium, which includes a 1st or 2nd level spell that allows the caster to see through Darkness as if they were viewing the world under the ambient lighting conditions. .. yep, you guessed it, NightVision goggles. Doesn't help much at night, when the ambient conditions are dark anyway, but during the daylight or normal lighting, it was very useful.

What was that spell?

Edit:After looking through, it's Ebon Eyes.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-03-06, 08:27 PM
A 3rd Level spell that does that is Blacklight, which is part of the divine portion of the SRD, this is Blacklight (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/divineNewSpells.html#blacklight)

Collin152
2007-03-06, 08:45 PM
And some Warlock invocation alows them to have Darkvision, plus it works in magical darkness.