PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Charisma Damage

Thurbane
2014-07-25, 04:46 PM
Hey all,

Can you please help me find some sources of Charisma damage or drain?

Spells, monsters and other sources would be appreciated.

Cheers - T

TiaC
2014-07-25, 04:57 PM
Here (http://dndtools.eu/spells/?name=&range=&spell_resistance=&area=&duration=&saving_throw=&casting_time=&school__slug=&sub_school__slug=&descriptors__slug=&verbal_component=1&somatic_component=1&material_component=1&arcane_focus_component=1&divine_focus_component=1&xp_component=1&rulebook__slug=&description=Charisma+Damage&class_levels__slug=&domain_levels__slug=&_filter=Filter) are the spells you want.

Socksy
2014-07-25, 05:10 PM
Oooo, that's a cool way to search.
Ego Whip from the XPH will damage Charisma. Aleithean Dwarves have it as a psi-like ability, can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Oh, lichbane does it, if you're fighting undead. A positoxin (poison made for use on undead) which also targets WIS and INT.

AMFV
2014-07-25, 05:19 PM
Maiming Strike from Exemplars of Evil lets you trade Sneak Attack for Charisma damage.

TiaC
2014-07-25, 05:22 PM
A ghost can drain any score.
Joystealers do Cha damage.

Socksy
2014-07-25, 05:28 PM
Could be good to havae a list of these about the place, actually. I'll start looking through books.

Powers
Ego Whip

Poisons
Salvo (1 out of 6 times)

Poisons
Ungol Dust

There are rules for traps using this poison, too

Class Features
Knife to the Soul

Powers
Ego Whip
Psychic Vampire
Psionic Minor Creation
Psionic Major Creation
Bend Reality (replicating a power above)
Reality Revision (replicating a power above)
Greater Metamorphosis

Monsters
Myrmyxicus
Paeliryon
Ethergaunt
Hullathoin
Shaanyra (specific monster)

Nightmares every night
General nightmare realm crap
Getting hurt in the nightmare realm and then leaving it

Spells
Chain of Sorrow (deals the damage to the caster)

Taint
Nose Rots
Apathetic

There are also a lot of corruption/depravity effects that give a -x penalty to all CHA-based checks (occasionally with exceptions).

Monsters
Banshee
Cinderspawn
Hullathoin
Ghost
Jahi
Mummy
Skin Kite
Spectral Lyrist

Positoxins
Bloodwine
Lichbane

Weapon Properties
Sacred
Sacred Burst

Monsters
Ghost
Vargouille
Possibly the Phasm (Text says it has bonuses to disguise using Shapechange, but mentions its abilities to be equivalent to Polymorph)

Monsters
Arcanaloth (via Shapechange)
Amethyst Dragon
Topaz Dragon (via Shapechange)
All the other gem dragons too, but they have to select Ego Whip as one of their powers known
Banshee
Hellfire Wyrm (More Shapechange)
Gray Linnorm (Shapechange)
Jahi
Rukarazyll

Monsters
Deathshrieker
Gloom Golem
Shrieking Terror
Visilight

Monsters
Large Nature Spirit (via Shapechange)
Akutenshi (via Shapechange)

Spells
Minor Creation (via creating poison)
Major Creation (via creating poison)
Touch of Idiocy
Feeblemind
Shapechange
Wish (Replicating a spell above)
Miracle (Replicating a spell above)
Contact Other Plane (inflicts the damage on the caster)

Spells
Soul Scour
Anyspell (via Touch Of Idiocy)
Greater Anyspell (via Touch Of Idiocy)
Flensing
Nature's Balance (deals damage to the caster)

Rules for making poisoned traps capable of causing CHA damage

Spells
River Dragon (using the dragon's spells)

Spells such as Dispel Magic, Antimagic Field, and Disjunction can remove boosts to Charisma. Spells like Simbul's Spell Trigger and Eye of Power can let you use lots of CHA-damaging spells at once, or at long range. Bite attacks using a Toxic Tooth with a CHA-damaging poison inside is a way to give any player or monster the ability to eat your CHA.

Xan_Kriegor
2014-07-25, 08:18 PM
Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm), a Sorc/Wiz 6 spell allows you to temporarily gain manifesting and lets you manifest Ego Whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm) which does 1d4 Cha damage (augmentable for more). I don't know what the source is, but I'm going to guess XPH or something like that.

Thurbane
2014-07-25, 11:15 PM
Great list Socksy

TypoNinja
2014-07-25, 11:18 PM
Touch of Golden Ice does Cha damage doesn't it? One of them "good" diseases from the BoED

Edit: nope, just does more damage based on the enemy Cha score. Knew Cha was involved in there somewhere >_>

ezkajii
2014-08-01, 12:08 PM
banshee (MM2) \ drain
jahi (MM2)
deathshrieker (MM3) \ drain
gloom golem (MM3) \ drain
joystealer (MM4)
forest haunt and taunting haunt (MM5)
Faerinaal (The Queen's Consort) (in globe form) (BoED)
eladrin, tulani (BoED)
Pale Night (Mother of Demons) (Fiendish Codex I) \ drain
paeliryon (fiendish codex II)
cinderspawn (LM) \ drain
spectral lyrist (LM) \ drain

shadow wight (Bestiary of Krynn, Revised)
frost wight (BoKR)

also, the following monsters list 'ability drain' or 'ability damage'

bone ooze (MM2)
thorciasid (ELH)
shivhad (FB)

kani doll (BoKR)

Miss Disaster
2014-08-01, 01:58 PM
The Maiming Strike feat from Exemplars of Evil converts sneak attack dice into charisma damage.

In certain creature-predominant campaigns, it's pretty easy to buildcraft an optimized SA Rogue with this feat who can absolutely demolish the majority of its opponents in 1 or 2 rounds.

Story
2014-08-01, 06:03 PM
I was in a campaign with one. The highlight was knocking out two Mariliths in one round. It's pretty OP if the DM isn't prepared for it though.

Chronos
2014-08-01, 08:48 PM
I think the psychic rogue has an ability to do Cha damage with a Sneak Attack, too, but it's tough to check now that Wizards hid all the old articles.

Thurbane
2014-08-01, 11:49 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but Ungol Dust (1d6 Cha, 1 Cha, permanent drain) - I believe this is the only poison that does Cha damage/drain (apart from Positoxins).

Also, the "Pride in Vain" affliction from BoED (1d6 Cha).

Chronos
2014-08-02, 08:24 AM
Correcting myself: The psychic rogue does Int damage, not Cha damage. On the other hand, the Soulknife's Knife to the Soul ability can do damage to the mental ability score of your choice.

Zombulian
2014-08-02, 08:42 AM
Mental Pinnacle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm), a Sorc/Wiz 6 spell allows you to temporarily gain manifesting and lets you manifest Ego Whip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm) which does 1d4 Cha damage (augmentable for more). I don't know what the source is, but I'm going to guess XPH or something like that.

Man that's a neat spell. Is there a psionic equivalent?

Thurbane
2014-08-17, 08:36 PM
Some neat ways to incapacitate foes here: 0 Cha = helpless, and LOTS of enemies have Cha as a dump stat.