PDA

View Full Version : Building the Roosterteeth RvB Freelancers

Nettlekid
2014-07-25, 09:46 PM
Obviously anyone who doesn't watch Roosterteeth's machinima series Red Versus Blue is going to have no idea what I'm talking about. I highly suggest that you do watch it if you don't already, because it's pretty awesome. And Roosterteeth in general is pretty awesome.

But anyway, for those of you who DO know what I'm talking about, I would love to somehow build the warriors from Project Freelancer, or some kind of vague non-canon Freelancer that has many similar qualities. The powers are easy enough to replicate in D&D (Tex's cloaking is nothing more than Greater Invisibility, North's shield is Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, CT's warps are basically the Warlock's Flee the Scene, etc) but the thing I'm most interested in (after seeing the most recent episode) is integrating the AIs into a character.

What made me first think of this was not actually RvB-related at all, but a result of wanting to abuse the Truenamer's Rebuild Item to bring Golems and other Constructs back to life (I never would have thought it could be done but there's a snippet of flavor text in ToM which has a character doing exactly that). After a period of trying to figure out how to get it to work with a Truenamer PC and a bunch of bought Golems, I changed it around and now want to try a Warforged PC with a Truenamer Cohort. And then I decided the best way to make sure that the moment my Warforged was destroyed the cohort could rebuild it would be with Fiend of Possession. To have a Fiend of Possession Truenamer Cohort who was inhabiting the Warforged's body voluntarily, and at the moment of the Warforged's destruction goes from possessing a creature to possessing a noncontinuous object (a pile of rubble) and then using Rebuild Item to bring the Warforged back...that's pretty cool, right?

Of course, you can see how it was a quick jump from FoP possession to the Freelancer AIs. I figure if I give the FoP Leadership and have its cohort be another FoP, and maybe one more after that, I can have the Warforged's body, sword and shield powered up by these "AI". The question then is, what class best suits the Warforged for having this "regeneration" (I was thinking something into Swiftblade, either Wu Jen or maybe Duskblade/Wyrm Wizard), and what classes suit the FoPs well (I was thinking a Psion for one (though it only gets up to 3rd level powers) and maybe Factotum for the other to have a slew of skills it can take over and use.)

Suggestions?

malonkey1
2014-07-25, 10:01 PM
Well, actually, one thing that's directly analogous to the AIs and equipment is the Host feats (CoPsi), although those aren't as potent. I'd say have the "AI slot" represented by a custom Wondrous item (grafted into the body if possible, much like the original AI fragments were) that grants free Host feat, but I'm not sure if there are guidelines for pricing such a thing (my guess is 1500*the lowest level at which the feat can be gotten, but that's a rough cost estimate.) I'd save the full FoP cohort for full AI units like Alpha/Church.

Nettlekid
2014-07-25, 10:11 PM
Well, actually, one thing that's directly analogous to the AIs and equipment is the Host feats (CoPsi), although those aren't as potent. I'd say have the "AI slot" represented by a custom Wondrous item (grafted into the body if possible, much like the original AI fragments were) that grants free Host feat, but I'm not sure if there are guidelines for pricing such a thing (my guess is 1500*the lowest level at which the feat can be gotten, but that's a rough cost estimate.) I'd save the full FoP cohort for full AI units like Alpha.

Ah, you know, I completely forgot about those Host feats. The problem is that those are pretty weak, aren't they? Just a couple of PLAs a day? I know that a full cohort sounds maybe too strong for fragments, but then again if FoP is going to take 5/6 levels and whatever entry method is also going to take resources (I think I'd go with Kaorti, which is LA+2 and 2 RHD), then that leaves maybe 6-8 levels of actual classes. A level 6-8 character has about the appropriate power level compared to a level 20 character as the fragments do to the Freelancers, I'd say. Maybe?

Although we didn't really see all of Alpha's power, the fragments seem pretty strong. Delta basically has all Knowledges maxed, and I could see Theta being some kind of Marshal, while Sigma could be anything which maxes out social skills. The most recent episode suggests that Epsilon alone can sort of take the place of Alpha, assuming that the memories of Delta and Theta et al have the same strength and capacity as the originals. And they do seem to, since Delta corrected Epsilon, Theta pointed things out, and Epsilon was able to delegate work to Eta and Iota that he didn't do himself. The usual direction that FoP takes is Psion because Psionics are usable as purely mental actions, but I wouldn't choose offensive powers for the AI fragments. They're definitely all about buffing and passive traits. I'm not sure what classes would be best to represent that.

malonkey1
2014-07-26, 11:18 AM
Ah, you know, I completely forgot about those Host feats. The problem is that those are pretty weak, aren't they? Just a couple of PLAs a day? I know that a full cohort sounds maybe too strong for fragments, but then again if FoP is going to take 5/6 levels and whatever entry method is also going to take resources (I think I'd go with Kaorti, which is LA+2 and 2 RHD), then that leaves maybe 6-8 levels of actual classes. A level 6-8 character has about the appropriate power level compared to a level 20 character as the fragments do to the Freelancers, I'd say. Maybe?

Although we didn't really see all of Alpha's power, the fragments seem pretty strong. Delta basically has all Knowledges maxed, and I could see Theta being some kind of Marshal, while Sigma could be anything which maxes out social skills. The most recent episode suggests that Epsilon alone can sort of take the place of Alpha, assuming that the memories of Delta and Theta et al have the same strength and capacity as the originals. And they do seem to, since Delta corrected Epsilon, Theta pointed things out, and Epsilon was able to delegate work to Eta and Iota that he didn't do himself. The usual direction that FoP takes is Psion because Psionics are usable as purely mental actions, but I wouldn't choose offensive powers for the AI fragments. They're definitely all about buffing and passive traits. I'm not sure what classes would be best to represent that.

Well, honestly, you could go Shaper Psion, and it'd be about right. If there's a way to turn Sp into Ps, you could have it be Warlock X, and use one of the many passive invocations from the Warlock List (Leaps and Bounds, etc.).