PDA

View Full Version : Build Idea- Frost blaster/control

Phithis
2014-07-26, 12:58 AM
20 point build.

So far I was thinking of using an 11 Cha crossblooded elemental(water)/orc sorcerer for extra damage and getting the cold descriptor on all my damage, then taking wizard for all levels after that (or possibly druid?) For a decent amount of skills. I.e- either from the high Int the wizard would have or the higher amount (and better selection) of skills the druid would have. For traits I'd take either magical knack or magical lineage (with magic missile as the spell choice as a wizard) and possibly wayang spellhunter. For feats the first two would be Irrisen Icemage and Rime spell (not necessarily in that order). Also, if I go with wizard I would take one of the +4 init familiars so I hopefully won't be blasting with my buddies in the way. I'm looking for advice for race (all pf is legal), stat blocks and/or alternate ideas on how to make an effective build. Also, if you just want to say "blasting sucks" move to the next thread. Constructive ideas only please :)

Phithis
2014-07-26, 08:59 AM
No ideas, anybody...anybody......?*echoes*

paperarmor
2014-07-26, 09:34 AM
Let me preface this by saying I know little and less about Pathfinder but a bit about 3.5. That said one of the better blaster tricks is to use energy substitution to change damage types around. Focus on cold is good as fire is one of the most resisted elements in 3.5. I wouldn't bother with the sorcerer dip if something like Energy substution (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/energy-substitution--880/) is available as you won't lose any wizard casting. Follow that up with lord of Uttercold to deal half that damage as Negative energy to get around cold immunity and resistance. I personally like wizards for blasting as you can act like a pokedex due to the knowledge skills and never be useless so long as you remember to learn utility spells. As for the battlefield control elements of the build that falls under the WIzard Archetype of God and the Legendary TreeantMonk wrote a guide to PF wizards for that found here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjPIOH8F8a0l74BdDF7Q23nCfZ-YX68Xr6JmmtznMw4/edit?pli=1) . Good luck! Hope I helped. More and smarter people will be by eventually.

Phithis
2014-07-26, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, I can't use 3:5, pathfinder only. You're right about Treant. I tried posting this on paizo's forums first. He was the only one that replied and definitely had some good ideas, like using lineage on fireball w/ Rime spell. That, I think will be quite sick. The reason for the sorcerer dip is it not only makes all my damaging spells cold, but crossblooded with orc gives a remarkable +1 to every die of damage. There is an admixture sub-school for evocation in pathfinder, but it only let's you change damage types so many times per day and I don't want to risk running out.

paperarmor
2014-07-26, 10:36 AM
Ok now I get the dip. Again I know nothing about PF. The admixture subschool should probably only be used with the knockdown drag out best evocation spells that aren't already cold .

avr
2014-07-26, 10:59 AM
A winter oracle can take a revelation which makes all cold spells add the slow condition for one round on a failed save. That's more on the control line than blasting which may not be what you're after. Combines nicely with Rime spell though.

A witch with the Winter Witch archetype and later the prestige class of the same name is a cold-themed blaster by definition.

If you can use Dreamscarred Press's psionics they do elemental blasting very well.

Phithis
2014-07-26, 12:24 PM
My dm may allow something from dreamscarred. I think he allows their psionic rules. I haven't really played a witch yet. Do they have access to good damage spells I can pair with Rime spell? Also, any ideas on race?

avr
2014-07-26, 10:30 PM
A witch could go the bad touch route - take the Frozen Caress feat, any touch spell can now have Rime spell added to it - you'd want a Deception patron so you could get defensive spells.

As a standard blaster they get about one usually mediocre cold based attack spell/spell level. You'd get a lot of mileage out of a metamagic rod of Elemental Spell.

For psionics, play a psion with the psychokinesis discipline, get the Favored Energy and Rime Power feats and you have a cold-based blaster - if allowed this is the best class you can have IMO. A wilder can have a higher effective level via their wild surge but the kineticist power list is better, plus they get so many more powers.