PDA

View Full Version : Full Plate, Speed and Magic Items

Yasahiro
2014-07-26, 02:10 AM
So I had here a question regarding Full Plate.

It basically covers your whole body, right? Can you still put on Strongarm Bracers or similar items that would normally be put on one's body? I mean, Full plate would cover these areas...

I am looking at how medium and heavy armors reduce one's speed and I am wondering if I am the only one that finds it... odd. I mean, I understand Heavy Armor allows one without high Dex to have high AC, but the problem with it is that it holds additional penalties such as reducing speed, and also it is way more costly. What would be possible solutions to make heavy armors more desirable?

Can Dendritic Crystal Armor be made from any other materials or the only thing that can be changed about it is enhancement bonuses and various other enchantments?

Is it worth it giving an armor +5 enhancement bonus and be limited to +5 of special abilities? What special abilities/enchantments would you suggest?

Andezzar
2014-07-26, 04:31 AM
So I had here a question regarding Full Plate.

It basically covers your whole body, right? Can you still put on Strongarm Bracers or similar items that would normally be put on one's body? I mean, Full plate would cover these areas...The Full plate covers the body slot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody) just like any other armor. You can still put on bracers, gloves helmets etc. replacing the parts of the armor.

I am looking at how medium and heavy armors reduce one's speed and I am wondering if I am the only one that finds it... odd. I mean, I understand Heavy Armor allows one without high Dex to have high AC, but the problem with it is that it holds additional penalties such as reducing speed, and also it is way more costly.Even though the weight is well distributed, you will run slower with 50 lbs on you than without. That all limb joints are encased does not increase maneuverability either.

What would be possible solutions to make heavy armors more desirable?Nothing, there are already ways to make the full plate be considered medium or even light armor and ways to reduce or remove the speed penalty.

Can Dendritic Crystal Armor be made from any other materials or the only thing that can be changed about it is enhancement bonuses and various other enchantments?The material is what makes the properties. You can only enchant it.

Is it worth it giving an armor +5 enhancement bonus and be limited to +5 of special abilities? What special abilities/enchantments would you suggest?That depends on what foes you fight, how your overall AC is and whether you or an ally will cast magic vestment on your armor.

VoxRationis
2014-07-26, 12:27 PM
To be fair, well-made full plate is designed to restrict movement as little as possible; the joints are armored in ways which don't affect their movement much (except the shoulders, I think; there's only so much one can do with pauldrons). You can cartwheel and the like in full plate; the main issue is its weight (which WILL slow you down, no matter your Strength).

Also, surprisingly few of the core armor abilities actually are priced in terms of plusses. A lot of them are just flat additions of cost, so theoretically one could add them even if the armor was a total +10 otherwise.

Andezzar
2014-07-26, 12:35 PM
To be fair, well-made full plate is designed to restrict movement as little as possible; the joints are armored in ways which don't affect their movement much (except the shoulders, I think; there's only so much one can do with pauldrons). You can cartwheel and the like in full plate; the main issue is its weight (which WILL slow you down, no matter your Strength).Yeah I know about the acrobatics in full plate. The inability to tumble if your speed is reduced vexes me too. Especially since you are still capable to tumble with a tower shield strapped to your arm :smallyuk:

Also, surprisingly few of the core armor abilities actually are priced in terms of plusses. A lot of them are just flat additions of cost, so theoretically one could add them even if the armor was a total +10 otherwise.Up to 200k gp. Go beyond that and it still becomes an epic magic item.

VoxRationis
2014-07-26, 12:45 PM
See, I'm in favor of a bifurcated penalty system: an armor check penalty due to weight, and an armor check penalty due to restriction on movement or uneven weight distribution. A set of full plate, for example, would have a high weight check penalty and a very low restriction check penalty. Some skills would use one penalty, some would use the other, and some (like Swim) would use both.

Yasahiro
2014-07-26, 12:49 PM
Nothing, there are already ways to make the full plate be considered medium or even light armor and ways to reduce or remove the speed penalty.

That depends on what foes you fight, how your overall AC is and whether you or an ally will cast magic vestment on your armor.

Well, let me change the question a bit then. Can you name these ways to make full plate be considered medium or light armor, or remove the speed penalty?

Also, could you name useful armor add ons and enchantments?

saxavarius
2014-07-26, 01:00 PM
Making any armor out of mithril will cause it to count as one category lighter (E.G. heavy-> medium; medium -> light) and will cause it to weigh half(?) the normal weight. There are other tricks but I'm AFB right now

Andezzar
2014-07-26, 01:22 PM
Correct, the material also reduces spell failure and armor check penalty and increases the maximum DEX bonus.

Being a dwarf or taking 7 levels of knight will also remove the speed reduction.

The halfweight special ability lets the armor count as light. It is pricey though (+3)