PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help in building a magical sword for a player

Kol Korran
2014-07-26, 03:26 AM
Hey folks. One of the characters in my Wrath of the Righteous is far below the wealth of the other members of the party. He is somewhat less effective, and I was thinking this might be the case. He is a human ninja of 6th level soon. (Took the Scout archetype). He plays a sort of a secret operative from a demon hunting sect, and he so far focused on stealth and trying to get to sneak attack. He often has bad rolls, and gets hit a lot. Survivability is somewhat of an issue, as is damage dealing (He doesn't hit quite as often as well. REALLY bad rolls... :smalltongue:)

So, I was thinking of maybe putting in a magical item. I'm mostly thinking a fitting weapon (He uses wakizashis) which might be loot from a former operative that might have died. It is supposed to be used by an incubus demon with 1 level of rogue, so anything that might improve criticals or sneak attack might be useful for him.

Worth of the sword can be around 8,000-11,000. Quite welcoming homebrew. I didn't like the special weapons presented in the PFSRD, and I prefer notto give it a bane quality, as another player has a similar weapon.

Some ideas so far:
- Something enhancing sneak attack damage. Perhaps the sword can add half the sneak attack dice on a crit?
- Perhaps enahncing chances to hit on sneak and critical confirmations? normally the sword is a +1, but on such rolls it's a +3/ +4?
- Maybe combining both effects? Or is it too strong?
- Maybe something enhancing stealth or perception? The owner can see in darkness, possibly even magical darkness? Maybe the sword can be used to heighten senses a few times per day? (see invisibility? blight sight? blind sense?). Perhaps the owner can use blur/ concealment a few times per day?

I have no idea how much any of this should cost. Help from the more mechanics inclined people of the board would be appreciated.

Other ideas are of course welcomed. :smallamused:

kalasulmar
2014-07-26, 04:37 AM
3.5 had the Deadly Precision enhancement for weapons. Adds extra d6 to Sneak Attack.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-26, 04:45 AM
Couple of thoughts off the top of my head (not sure how much these should/would cost either):

-When the wielder of this weapon confirms a critical hit or deals precision damage, she may choose instead to deal only her normal damage and immediately make a stealth check to hide, even if being observed. If the stealth check succeeds, she may take a five-foot step, even if she would otherwise not be allowed to do so.

-The wielder gains the use of the Death Attack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/assassin#TOC-Death-Attack-Ex-) assassin ability, usable once per day.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-26, 04:47 AM
A +1 Deadly Precision (MIC) weapon is 8,000 gp and increases your sneak attacks or sudden strikes with it by +1d6. I'd make it Sudden Stunning (DMG2) for +2k if he has a decent Cha, and/or maybe throw on a weapon crystal (MIC) to bring it up a bit higher.

A Sword of Subtlety (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#swordofSubtlety) is about twice as much as you're looking for, but it gives an extra +4 bonus (+5 total counting its +1 enhancement) to attack and damage rolls when sneak attacking. That would be my first go-to for a player with rolls so unlucky he can't hit anything.

Kol Korran
2014-07-28, 03:04 AM
A +1 Deadly Precision (MIC) weapon is 8,000 gp and increases your sneak attacks or sudden strikes with it by +1d6. I'd make it Sudden Stunning (DMG2) for +2k if he has a decent Cha, and/or maybe throw on a weapon crystal (MIC) to bring it up a bit higher.

A Sword of Subtlety (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#swordofSubtlety) is about twice as much as you're looking for, but it gives an extra +4 bonus (+5 total counting its +1 enhancement) to attack and damage rolls when sneak attacking. That would be my first go-to for a player with rolls so unlucky he can't hit anything.

Hmmm... I like the last idea, but it may be a bit too expensive. How much do you think the sword of subtlety might cost if it was downgraded to the following:
- +1 basic
- +3 to attack on sneak attacks and crit confirm (on top of the +1 for a total of +4)
- no extra bonus to damage.

Do you think it might be worth something around the 9,000? Or should I take the extra bonus by 1 less? (for a total of +3)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-28, 03:32 AM
Hmmm... I like the last idea, but it may be a bit too expensive. How much do you think the sword of subtlety might cost if it was downgraded to the following:
- +1 basic
- +3 to attack on sneak attacks and crit confirm (on top of the +1 for a total of +4)
- no extra bonus to damage.

Do you think it might be worth something around the 9,000? Or should I take the extra bonus by 1 less? (for a total of +3)

Normally anything that gives a bonus will be priced based on bonus-sqared x gp cost. For the Sword of Subtlety's +4 bonus at +20,000 gp, it should be 4x4x1250gp. Reducing it to a +3 to both attack and damage should be 11,250 gp, which including the price of the +1 sword would be 13,550 gp.

If you were to make it only a bonus to hit but not damage, I would just halve the price. So the +4 would be only 10,000 gp, for a total item price of 12,300 gp still at +4 to hit. At only +3 to hit it should be 7,925 gp, low enough to add Sudden Stunning or a nice augment crystal.

magwaaf
2014-07-28, 11:58 AM
have him also take knife master archetype as well as scout, my rogue build does both. its pure dual wielding damage fun.
give him a speed weapon as well to make up for the crap last attack

devlear
2014-09-05, 01:33 PM
I'm late to the party but if you are still looking for some suggestions you could add certain spell like abilities to the weapon.

2000 gp for +1 weapon base (must have for all weapons)
Maybe can grant the Demon's supernatural ability See In Darkness for 5 minutes per day, usable in 1 minute increments. That would be ~+9000.

Could also take and combine the abilities of Ring of Ki Mastery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-ki-mastery) and add it too the sword. 10,000 * 1.5 (multiple abilities) * .7 (only Ninja can use) ~+10,500gp to add to a weapon.

I was going to also suggest that it could grant him an additional Ninja special abilities (like Vanishing Trick) but the only magic item I can find along the lines of granting a feat is Ring of Evasion and that is 25,000. To add it too a weapon would cost 25,000 * 1.5 (multiple abilities) * .7 (only Ninja can use) =~+26,250 gp

The Sword of Subtlety (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/sword-of-subtlety) is a bit out of the price range you are looking for but is along the lines of what you are looking for it seems.