PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Perfect Frame-Up?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-26, 06:01 AM
So I noticed a potential spell interaction which intrigues me. Tell me if you would interpret it the same way I do.

Step 1. Commit a crime.

Step 2. Make a note to yourself that you're about to commit Step 3, including directions for Steps 4-6 (though ideally you'll have set all this up already, it doesn't hurt to play it safe; memory spells are tricky).

Step 3. Use Hidden Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hidden-knowledge) on the memory of the crime from Step 1.

Step 4. Use Transfer Tattoo (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/transfer-tattoo) to move the enchanted tattoo you created in Step 3 to a predetermined schmuck. And be stealthy about it for goodness' sake; all it takes is a touch attack, you can do it while they're drunk or asleep or something.

Step 5. Use additional physical evidence to frame schmuck from Step 4.

Step 6. Once the original duration of Hidden Knowledge expires, the tattoo disappears and the memory "returns" to its bearer. Now, not only is the schmuck from Step 4 framed, but they actually believe they committed the crime, and all lie-detection effects will show that this is the case.

Step 7... Profit?

Amphetryon
2014-07-26, 06:24 AM
While 'drunk or asleep' are going to be mitigating circumstances for this, Transfer Tattoo does allow a saving throw on an unwilling recipient.

Alex12
2014-07-26, 07:00 AM
I'm not actually sure the memory would return to the bearer.
"Until the spell’s duration ends, the knowledge is lost to you."
It doesn't say anything about returning the memory to the bearer of the tattoo.
There's also the fact that magic tattoos are a specific item, and Hidden Knowledge doesn't actually refer to the created tattoo as a magic tattoo, so that might not work.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-26, 07:07 AM
While 'drunk or asleep' are going to be mitigating circumstances for this, Transfer Tattoo does allow a saving throw on an unwilling recipient.I'm aware. No reason to get them suspicious on top of that, though. I would actually suggest the Mosquito's Bite skill trick, but I'm trying to stick with Pathfinder content.

I'm not actually sure the memory would return to the bearer.
"Until the spell’s duration ends, the knowledge is lost to you."
It doesn't say anything about returning the memory to the bearer of the tattoo.
There's also the fact that magic tattoos are a specific item, and Hidden Knowledge doesn't actually refer to the created tattoo as a magic tattoo, so that might not work.The first part's what I'd mainly be worried about.

As to the second, Hidden Knowledge does actually refer to the result as an "enchanted tattoo," which has a detectable magical aura. I'd at least let that part slide, as it seems within the boundaries of what the spell's intended to do (or, if you like, because Transfer Tattoo really needs more utility and I'm in favor of readings that give it such).