PDA

View Full Version : Undead Barbarian?

ShurikVch
2014-07-26, 06:26 AM
How viable is undead barbarian?
Before I considered undead barbarian as underpowered, because, hey, their second most important ability - Constitution - is nonexistent.
But recently I found in Ghostwalk:
Barbarian: There are not many barbarians among the undead, but gangs of barbarian ghouls and ghasts are used as shock troops by the more powerful lords of Xaphan. A raging undead barbarian does not gain an increase in Constitution (or anything dependent upon Constitution such as hit points or Fortitude saves) but uses its normal Charisma modifier instead of its Constitution modifier to determine how long a rage lasts. Because undead are immune to fatigue, an undead barbarian is not penalized when a rage ends. If rage duration problem is already fixed, maybe it's possible to fix everything else, (or, at the very least, most of it) via equally obscure sources?

iTreeby
2014-07-26, 09:33 AM
Ferocity (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) may be what you are looking for, it gives bonuses to STR and Dex.

Flickerdart
2014-07-26, 09:40 AM
Whirling Frenzy also doesn't give CON boosts - it increases STR, AC, and reflex saves, and gives an extra attack.

iTreeby
2014-07-26, 09:58 AM
The abilities are similar, Ferocity gets you 1 more AC and the ability to stand from prone without provoking AoOs as a swift action, Whirling Frenzy nets you an extra attack and evasion. Whirling Frenzy is a little better generally.

AMFV
2014-07-26, 10:09 AM
Well Undead hurts a Barbarian pretty heavily, they lose out on a lot of hit points, and they're already on the fragile end of things. But it could be made to work.

Flickerdart
2014-07-26, 05:26 PM
Well Undead hurts a Barbarian pretty heavily, they lose out on a lot of hit points, and they're already on the fragile end of things. But it could be made to work.
It seems like the best way to go is the intimidate route - high CHA is now doubly beneficial because it extends Rage, and your low HP doesn't matter because everyone is quivering in abject terror.

Also, the Berserker Strength ACF is really good for undead barbarians, since you fall below 5*level HP when you so much as stub a toe, leading to infinite Rage.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-26, 05:48 PM
Also, the Berserker Strength ACF is really good for undead barbarians, since you fall below 5*level HP when you so much as stub a toe, leading to infinite Rage.

I am now horrified of this.

On another note, if you could find someway to get Unholy Toughness that would synergize wonderfully with you Fear build as well as you Rage length. Though doing this is a royal pain in the rear end.

The Viscount
2014-07-27, 06:06 PM
Due to Ghostwalk's status as a 3.0 book (in addition to its several peculiar rulings) I'm not sure of the legality of that above statement. Then again I can't exactly find anything saying otherwise.