PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimizing a Dromite

paperarmor
2014-07-26, 08:48 AM
Ok so I'm building a tokusetsu style adventerer using Dromite as the race I think I have a fairly good build in Sorcerer 4/ Crusader 1/JPM 10/ Effegy Master 5 (not in that order) now my question is what it is the best element to pick for the dromite resistance and the energy ray. Also any build advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 10:43 AM
Ok so I'm building a tokusetsu style adventerer using Dromite as the race I think I have a fairly good build in Sorcerer 4/ Crusader 1/JPM 10/ Effegy Master 5 (not in that order) now my question is what it is the best element to pick for the dromite resistance and the energy ray. Also any build advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!

For Tokusatsu-style? Fire. Why? Because everything explodes. Seriously. Guy gets hit? Tiny explosions on his armor. Guy kills the enemy? Big badda-boom.

Now, in terms of optimization? Fire is a horrible choice. Everything and its brother resists fire. Electricity is an awesome choice in terms of optimization, because blasting powers often worry about PR; sonic is also a great choice because it deals full damage to objects.

But in terms of flavor? Fire.

paperarmor
2014-07-26, 11:14 AM
OK coolio. Got any suggestions about the actual build though? I know I'm assuming LA buy off otherwise a level of effegy master bites it.

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 12:41 PM
Well, see, here's the thing. I get what you're trying to do, I just don't like it.

Crusader and JPM I get, and I like. JPM is awesome, and Crusader makes a decent Kamen Rider style. (I generally prefer Swordsage or Warblade for the role, but your taste is your own.) But... Generally speaking, Tokusatsu-style characters, Kamen Rider in particular, aren't spellcasters. (Kamen Rider Wizard and Mahou Sentai Magiranger are exceptions, not the rule.)

A Tokusatsu character is traditionally, first and foremost, an action hero. That means punches and kicks, blocks and mighty leaps. Often, this may also include a firearm.

I get that Sorcerer is a good source of added power in a build - generally, spellcasting is more optimized than non-spellcasting. I also get that with Sorc 4, JPM 10 and EM 5, you're looking at a Sorc CL of 16, which isn't too shabby. Now, if the primary function of your Sorc CL is to convert spell slots into Arcane Wrath charges, I totally dig it. But if you actually plan to cast, it feels almost like breaking character.

Further, I note just how limited your maneuvers are. You have 1 level of Crusader, and 10 levels of JPM; JPM will only advance Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit (and, despite being less-than-optimal, Desert Wind is more fitting for this character). At capstone, you will have only two stances known (not terribly relevant, because you'll probably be using Mystic Phoenix), and 10 maneuvers known. It's not a substantial library.

And I see what you're doing with EM. It's a good way to comfortably get a well-built Effigy. With EM 5, you add 5 to your CL (16) to determine the HD of your Effigies, and that's a pretty stable number. That said, EM is coming fairly late to the game; at that point, it's questionable whether you even want your Effigy at all. I remind you that not all Kamen Riders are in fact riders, and even among those that are, weaponizing the bike was fairly infrequent. (Although I loved what they did in KR Blade and KR Faiz.)

You might consider ditching EM altogether in favor of more martial adept levels, unless you want to further augment your casting. It's really up to you.

I suppose I'll ask the question with which I should have started in the first place: What kind of Tokusatsu-style hero were you envisioning?

DMVerdandi
2014-07-26, 07:37 PM
Not STP Erudite/Thrallheard ?

Seriously? Get yourself a Psionic artificer as a sidekick to make all your cool gear. Unlike the regular one, The psionic artificer makes certified psionic items, so you can obtain powers from them.
Discuss if you can use spell to power ruling with your DM (I.e making psionic items that trigger spells. For example, a dorje of fireball)

You will destroy faces with this guy. Remember, you CAN in fact use YOUR XP, and have him use feats to make it cheaper.

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 07:44 PM
Not STP Erudite/Thrallheard ?

Seriously? Get yourself a Psionic artificer as a sidekick to make all your cool gear. Unlike the regular one, The psionic artificer makes certified psionic items, so you can obtain powers from them.
Discuss if you can use spell to power ruling with your DM (I.e making psionic items that trigger spells. For example, a dorje of fireball)

You will destroy faces with this guy. Remember, you CAN in fact use YOUR XP, and have him use feats to make it cheaper.

Hmm... If you're willing to depart from the KR archetype, there are some Tokusatsu genres more like that. For example, Garo involves a shining golden knight (his armor is sort of a demon, kind of) who is supplied with demon-slaying gear and artifacts by priest-craftsmen. (Gross simplification, totally worth watching, go do it.) So there is something to say for being a Tokusatsu hero with crafter minions.

paperarmor
2014-07-26, 08:59 PM
I'm really only familair with Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. The characters just give off kind of a cool vibe. I'll definatly consider the thrallherd idea. Yeah I should prolly just go ahead and drop the casting, earmark some WBL for a clockwork steed. maybe go warblade 5 / swordsage 10/ MO9 5 with some kind of crossbow to emulate the fire arm.

DMVerdandi
2014-07-26, 10:27 PM
Hmm... If you're willing to depart from the KR archetype, there are some Tokusatsu genres more like that. For example, Garo involves a shining golden knight (his armor is sort of a demon, kind of) who is supplied with demon-slaying gear and artifacts by priest-craftsmen. (Gross simplification, totally worth watching, go do it.) So there is something to say for being a Tokusatsu hero with crafter minions.

I mean, it's not straight kamen rider, no.

You want super sentai? this is your man.
If you want VR troopers, aw yeah.
Beetle borgs, son? LET'S GO!

Get yourself lil war-forged artificer to be your robot sidekick, Wear one of those psychoactive skins that he makes you, and use spells like greater mighty wallop for those One hit instant kills.
Use heroics to get fighter feats (or TOB maneuvers), and some other great powers/spells.

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 11:06 PM
I'm really only familair with Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. The characters just give off kind of a cool vibe. I'll definatly consider the thrallherd idea. Yeah I should prolly just go ahead and drop the casting, earmark some WBL for a clockwork steed. maybe go warblade 5 / swordsage 10/ MO9 5 with some kind of crossbow to emulate the fire arm.

Each of the Kamen Rider series - or, at least, most of them, a few are a bit repetitive - give off a very unique vibe, both in terms of tone and in terms of theme. For example, Ryuki (in the West, Dragon Knight) and Blade both have a certain element of "monster pet battle," Ryuki with his dragon and Blade with the various Undead he has sealed. Kuuga has a sort of evolution-gone-mad theme, Hibiki something something demons something something wicked drum solo, Kiva has movie monsters and vampires, and Decade has that whole angsty-wanderer schtick. You can pretty much find a KR franchise to suit any concept.

And that's before taking in other Tokusatsu series. Garo was a single example; there are plenty of others. Let's not forget Ultraman. Seriously, that's an easy build to do - just build a martial artist with a ton of stackable Enlarge Person shenanigans.

The key thing is, first and foremost, to consider the particular Tokusatsu style you want. And step one of that is martial arts action. Heck, Godzilla earned his title as King of the Monsters by over-the-shoulder flipping anything taller than ten stories. So kung-fu it up.

Step two is your gimmick. Not all Tokusatsu heroes have guns, for instance. Some do, others don't. For example, Kamen Rider Blade (as his name suggests) used a sword, while Garren used a gun; Kamen Rider Den-O used a gun in Gun Form, but not in Sword, Axe, Rod, or Wing Form; and Kamen Rider Hibiki used drums. Drums that spit fire. Because something something demons something something wicked drum solo. Kiva used a slot machine mounted on his wrist. Decade and Faiz used cell phones.

Heck, Kamen Rider Amazon bit things. Seriously. Jumped on them and bit the be-jeepers out of 'em. Freaking piranha, that.

Also kick things. Kick them a lot. Everyone did the kicks.

So, yeah. Gimmick. What's yours?

EDIT: Oh!

Get yourself lil war-forged artificer to be your robot sidekick, Wear one of those psychoactive skins that he makes you, and use spells like greater mighty wallop for those One hit instant kills.
Use heroics to get fighter feats (or TOB maneuvers), and some other great powers/spells.

This latter bit. You've got to have your finishing move. Everybody had their finishing move. Even a 1/day nuke is still a nuke.

Also, explosions.

paperarmor
2014-07-27, 08:52 PM
ok Hmm... How about A Decsive strike monk 2/ Psywar 8/ Elocator 10 w/Tashalatora for a speedster that can manifest expansion and just about explodiate people. Alternatively a Kalshatar Monk 2/ Swordsage 8/ Shadow sun ninja 10 who uses Instant clairity and psychic renewal to spam throwing manouvers (Granted I'd have to fluff his armor as bug like but no biggie.)