PDA

View Full Version : Help making a cleric

Azraile
2014-07-26, 11:33 AM
I would say optimizing but I don't care to much for getting the best of the best... just looking to make one that don't suck >.< lol

But some optimization is fine here.

Going to play in a game starting at level 4, and capping off around 8 to 10 it seams and I was thinking of making a neutral cleric that worships greed or wealth or something like that. Almost a rouge like cleric even, just cares about himself.... but that's what his god wants lol

Edit: I am asking because it's been a LONG time sense I have plaied dnd much at all, and I never plaied a cleric when I did.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-07-26, 12:05 PM
Do you know what books are allowed and which ones are banned?

Azraile
2014-07-26, 12:16 PM
only that monster manual is baned probably several more

Story
2014-07-26, 12:24 PM
Olidiarma is the god of rogues, so that might be a good choice.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-26, 12:32 PM
Sound like your looking for the equivalent of Olidammara in your campaign world. Trickery Domain is good for rogue-like clerics, Also the Cloistered Cleric for skills (Might need refluffing as I have a hard time seeing Clerics of Olidammara being shut in scholar types) :smallamused:

EDIT: Swordsaged on Olidammara.

Azraile
2014-07-26, 12:49 PM
I was looking at the greed domain, and I was thinking I might need good AC when the party tries to lench me lol

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 01:18 PM
I was looking at the greed domain, and I was thinking I might need good AC when the party tries to lench me lol

Any time you're designing a character concept and thinking about how the rest of the party will want to kill you, I'd advise you to re-think the character concept.

You can be a Cleric of Greed, Trickery, and other thieving roguishness without messing over the party. Simply politely remind them that they are on your "List of People from Whom there Shall Be No Stealing." Remind them that it is a very short list.

And then don't do things to get your character killed by the party.

Alaris
2014-07-26, 01:22 PM
Any time you're designing a character concept and thinking about how the rest of the party will want to kill you, I'd advise you to re-think the character concept.

You can be a Cleric of Greed, Trickery, and other thieving roguishness without messing over the party. Simply politely remind them that they are on your "List of People from Whom there Shall Be No Stealing." Remind them that it is a very short list.

Can't echo this enough. Steal from NPCs... do not steal from your party. It will only end badly.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-26, 01:31 PM

Well he could stick to stealing from NPCs and have the party still want to kill him after the 4th or 5th band of assassins the petty noble he stole from sent after them. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, how hard is it to find a reason not to steal from a group of people who are each theoretically as strong as you are and have a reason to work together to punish you for it?

Azraile
2014-07-26, 01:38 PM
I was wasn't talking stealing. I was talking about charging money. That and there is one drunk guy who rather looks for reasons to PK when he gets that drunk, which he dose every time. He's playing a warrior. AC would be nice considering he wants to kill people helping him.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-26, 01:43 PM
I was wasn't talking stealing. I was talking about charging money. That and there is one drunk guy who rather looks for reasons to PK when he gets that drunk, which he dose every time. He's playing a warrior. AC would be nice considering he wants to kill people helping him.

Then ouch. Wasn't trying to kick you when you where there. Though If your a cleric and he's a warrior, you still don't need high AC. Calm Emotions, Hold Person, Sanctuary, etc.

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 01:49 PM

First off, don't charge the party money to do your job. (Exception: Charging a nominal fee for item crafting is okey-dokey.) Same reasons stated above: They will want to kill you, and you should avoid character concepts that encourage improvised organizational restructuring utilizing fire-based paradigms and blacksmithed leverage.

Second, ouch. Okay, if there's a PC that's basically designed to kill the party... Talk to the player. Talk to the player. This is generally not okay. Talk to the player. Also, as a general rule, where there's already one character designed to cause strife within the party, you really, really don't need to throw more fuel on the fire.

Consider the "Why are we adventuring with this jerk?" rule. It works like this: If you had a friend in real life who acted the way this character did, would you spend time with them? If the answer is "No," that character probably doesn't have a place in the party.

Also, ouch.

Azraile
2014-07-26, 01:54 PM
I am not planning on causing strife and there is no talking to the guy he's an alcoholic and gets real stupid when he is drunk but insists on playing and the GM is to much a ***** to tell him no or that if he whants to play he has to stay sobor

Gavinfoxx
2014-07-26, 01:59 PM
If you wanna be a rogue-ish cleric... look at this:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=292794

read the whole thing, okay? =D

dextercorvia
2014-07-26, 02:05 PM
I am not planning on causing strife and there is no talking to the guy he's an alcoholic and gets real stupid when he is drunk but insists on playing and the GM is to much a ***** to tell him no or that if he whants to play he has to stay sobor

It is an OOC problem, and should be handled OOC.

But, failing that, ask the DM to distract him with a Monster when he starts to get that way.

As far as your cleric goes, there isn't a ton of support for the sneaky cleric, but there is some. Cloistered Cleric, Ruathar, Seeker of the Misty Isle all help keep your skill points up. Careful Domain choice can get you extra class skills. As can the Apprentice feat in DMGII. If you go human, Able Learner and a Rogue/Factotum/Scout dip can be fun. Shadowbane Stalker is almost full casting and advances SA (a little), good SP and decent class skills. If you go the LG route squeeze in a Church Inquisitor dip. You can be the church snoop.

If you guys are cool with homebrew, check out the Divine Trickster made by the Giant. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?172910-Articles-Previously-Appearing-on-GiantITP-com)