PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sigle class Ranger into Arcane Archer?

Shieldbunny
2014-07-26, 12:45 PM
One of my players wants to play a Ranger based Arcane Archer/Deepwood Sniper. I was wondering if I port the Sword of the Arcane order Feat (From Champions of valor) into my world does that let him qualify for ability to cast first level arcane spells from his Ranger class, or are the wizard spells considered divine magic?

Lilapop
2014-07-26, 01:04 PM
SoAO's wording appears to suggest that only the parts listed in its description are changed or added to the Paladin/Ranger class feature. That said though, if you're going to waive the fluff requirements, just go all the way and say that yes, it qualifies for Arcane Archer without losing BAB.

And while you're at it, clarify how Enhance Arrow interacts with other enhancement bonuses. If this feature is the main reason to pick the class, either remind your player that it won't stack with Greater Magic Weapon or a weapon's own enchantment, or just houserule them into stacking.

Shieldbunny
2014-07-26, 01:15 PM
Thanks. Looking closer though, I think my question would have been "doesn't this feat give him everything he wants only better with a straight Ranger build?" :)

EDIT: also if he still wants to do the build I'll probably allow Enhance Arrow to put flaming/keen/etc on the arrows if they're already magical.

Curmudgeon
2014-07-26, 05:54 PM
Members of your military order have a special connection with arcane magic. If they specify arcane in both the feat's name and short description, that's the sort of magic it enables, absent an explicit statement to the contrary. The whole purpose of feats is to create exceptions to the normal rules, and SotAO makes an exception to Ranger spells being all divine.