PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 3.P Rogue/Shadowdancer

2014-07-26, 02:41 PM
So, I'm putting together an epic-level rogue, and decided to take Shadowdancer 10 along the way. I need some assistance with the final touches.

Firstly, I'm looking for some good feat choices. It's a thrown weapon rogue (I know, so unoptimized) if that helps. Of the feats I'm already looking at, the one I'm not sure of is Mother's Gift (PF Changeling racial feat). Since I'm not using claws, it comes down to SR (ECL+6)or Nat AC +1. I'm not sure how optimal SR is, but it's got to be better than a single point of AC, right? Of course, there's probably loads of better options; any ideas?

Secondly, I'm looking to take advantage of the Shadow Master capstone: any target I crit who was in dim light or darker is blinded for a few rounds. My crits are reliable enough to blind them continuously, allowing continuous SA, but I need dim light to make it work. Is there a weapon enhancement or other item that'll shroud my target in darkness? A feat perhaps?

All suggestions are welcome.

Squirrel_Dude
2014-07-26, 04:31 PM
SR is almost always bad unless you are a spellcaster yourself, and then it's only mostly a positive. SR of ECL +6 isn't even hard to pass, so it's not going to be defending you that much. It's just going to make it that little bit harder for your allied spellcasters to heal and buff you. Go with the natural armor +1.

Buy a wand of darkness or deeper darkness to cover your enemies in dim light.

Snowbluff
2014-07-26, 05:32 PM
3.P, huh? Shadow Dancer should be a Shadow Pouncer. Add some Telflammar Shadowlord. Your DDoor SLA will trigger Shadow Pounce. :3

Add the Dimensional Dervish, which is strictly worse than Shadow Pounce, but it lets you get more attacks from a DDoor.

2014-07-26, 05:48 PM
3.P, huh? Shadow Dancer should be a Shadow Pouncer. Add some Telflammar Shadowlord. Your DDoor SLA will trigger Shadow Pounce. :3

Add the Dimensional Dervish, which is strictly worse than Shadow Pounce, but it lets you get more attacks from a DDoor.

The Dimensional Agility feat tree specifies the Dimension Door spell and the Abundant step class ability. Shadow Jump functions similarly to Dimensional Door, but does not actually use it. Of course, I don't think the DM would complain about that (we're already talking epic, after all) but it's too costly feat-wise for my taste.

The Telflammar Shadowlore looks good, but I can't fit it into my build yet...although it's perfect for later on.

Snowbluff
2014-07-26, 06:04 PM
The Dimensional Agility feat tree specifies the Dimension Door spell and the Abundant step class ability. Shadow Jump functions similarly to Dimensional Door, but does not actually use it. Of course, I don't think the DM would complain about that (we're already talking epic, after all) but it's too costly feat-wise for my taste.

The Telflammar Shadowlore looks good, but I can't fit it into my build yet...although it's perfect for later on.
Hm... right. Another reason why DDervish sucks. Heck, Synthesists can get play out of it, but Dancers can't. :smallfrown:

As for shadowlord... excellent.:smallsmile:

StreamOfTheSky
2014-07-27, 12:00 AM
Rogue is weak in PF, and Shadow Dancer beyond a dip is weak in both. If you do want to do a SD build, I'd suggest not a rogue. Not only is it a weak class, but you get a bunch of class features that overlap and do not stack/upgrade (evasion doesn't upgrade to imp. evasion, you get more uncanny dodges than you know what to do with; levels don't stack for when you can start getting advanced talents even though both get talents, etc...).

If you do want to do Dim. Dervish feat, I'd suggest instead doing 3 levels in Horizon Walker to get Dim Door 3 + wis mod times per day. It'll get a lot more use than SD's pathetic x total feet per day thing. And is explicitly legal.

2014-07-27, 06:31 AM
Rogue is weak in PF, and Shadow Dancer beyond a dip is weak in both. If you do want to do a SD build, I'd suggest not a rogue. Not only is it a weak class, but you get a bunch of class features that overlap and do not stack/upgrade (evasion doesn't upgrade to imp. evasion, you get more uncanny dodges than you know what to do with; levels don't stack for when you can start getting advanced talents even though both get talents, etc...).

If you do want to do Dim. Dervish feat, I'd suggest instead doing 3 levels in Horizon Walker to get Dim Door 3 + wis mod times per day. It'll get a lot more use than SD's pathetic x total feet per day thing. And is explicitly legal.

i'm using various 3.5 ACFs to get rid of superfluous class features. PF Rogue sucks, thrown weapons generally suck, Shadowdancer sucks, but I've found enough options to make them suck a lot less when combined.

Dim. Dervish just totally sucks, and I don't want it.