PDA

View Full Version : If Rudisplork was a Character...

mr_odd
2014-07-26, 03:54 PM
For my own amusement, I am considering creating an NPC named Rudisplork. If Rudisplork was a character, what do you think his/her/its race and class would be?

Amphetryon
2014-07-26, 04:07 PM
Changeling Factotum/Chameleon/Master of Masks/Spy Master/Jaunter.

EDIT TO ADD: In qualifying for Jaunter, use one of the variants of Dodge, and have the Mobility enhancement on your armor.

ranagrande
2014-07-26, 04:08 PM
an Artificer with Vow of Poverty

Jormengand
2014-07-26, 04:18 PM
Kobold Psion.

Dalasio
2014-07-26, 04:20 PM
an Artificer with Vow of Poverty
..Next character idea? Yup.

Snowbluff
2014-07-26, 04:27 PM
The answer is me. :smalltongue:

Ah, you beat me to it. Stupid work. D:

I've got to play this sometime. I've never been in a game where I got to be the skill guy, since my tables are heavy on rogues and light on casters.

Socksy
2014-07-26, 04:51 PM
An ice assassin of an aleax of whatever his original race was.:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

awa
2014-07-26, 06:57 PM
what exactly is Rudisplork i know it was associated in some way with jediploter (may have mangled the name don't care) but i don't know the details and the cheat at d&d thread is very long.

Amphetryon
2014-07-26, 07:05 PM
what exactly is Rudisplork i know it was associated in some way with jediploter (may have mangled the name don't care) but i don't know the details and the cheat at d&d thread is very long.

Eventually, most of those responding in jedipotter's threads realized/decided/agreed that jedipotter's vocabulary was made up of a bunch of false cognates that sounded like English (this is not intended as an insult to anyone associated with those threads). Kazudo made comment about how what jedipotter was calling 'cheating' was not what many of the respondents recognized as cheating, and he might as well use another word to describe the offending behavior, such as the invented term 'rudisplorking.' Eventually, 'rudisplork' got more clearly defined within one of the threads, including various parts of speech. You'll probably note that the term has spread to several .sigs by this point.

ArqArturo
2014-07-26, 07:13 PM
Illumian Barbarian with Vow of Peace.

Lord Raziere
2014-07-26, 07:14 PM
Eventually, most of those responding in jedipotter's threads realized/decided/agreed that jedipotter's vocabulary was made up of a bunch of false cognates that sounded like English (this is not intended as an insult to anyone associated with those threads). Kazudo made comment about how what jedipotter was calling 'cheating' was not what many of the respondents recognized as cheating, and he might as well use another word to describe the offending behavior, such as the invented term 'rudisplorking.' Eventually, 'rudisplork' got more clearly defined within one of the threads, including various parts of speech. You'll probably note that the term has spread to several .sigs by this point.

I dislike the term myself. we don't need to muddle up our vocabulary because of one person's nonsensical use of language.

and the term just means "munchkining/optimizing/cheesing" anyways, the term doesn't need to exist. its just a meme that isn't funny like any other. that and I don't consider the people who take up the term any better than jedipotter himself, as while he was clearly being a control freak DM, becoming a munchkining jerk or optimizing to break the game is just as bad.

Threadnaught
2014-07-26, 07:17 PM
Rudisplorking is Optimising, in order to create a true "Rudi Splork", you would need to ask Emperor Win what that super optimised Psion looks like.

Rudisplorking isn't Cheating, so get him to do it within RAW. In a way that isn't negatively affected (or is it effected? :smallamused:) by most house rules.

It helps if you give the Rudisplorkers an enemy to crusade against.

Edit:
Eventually, 'rudisplork' got more clearly defined within one of the threads, including various parts of speech. You'll probably note that the term has spread to several .sigs by this point.

Muahaha, I got sigged a dozen times in a week. :smallamused:

Nilehus
2014-07-26, 07:19 PM
Halfling Samurai with 3's for all attributes. :smallwink:

Poor thing.

icefractal
2014-07-26, 07:51 PM
Based off the origin, it seems like it should be a character that's unambiguously RAW, even RAI, but has a lot of tricks to negate specific enemy tactics and/or logistical challenges.

So, any full caster, I guess. That's not very interesting though.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-26, 08:13 PM
Kobold Psion.Make him a 7+ level Kobold Psion elder of a large tribe/warren. Every Kobold in said tribe gets PsyRef'ed at birth to have the Dragonwrought feat. He himself may or may not be Dragonwrought (as you can't PsyRef a regular kobold into a dragonwrought one past 1st level, when they no longer are allowed to take the feat, he may have just been a smarter than average regular kobold who came up with the idea).

His warren should be tuckers kobolds and then some. Have a few Dragonwrought Dracoliches waiting in the wings (remember, their paralyzing touch goes off on any physical attack, which includes the usual Tucker's Kobold strategy of crossbows from murderholes, and you just need to see their eyes for the paralyzing gaze) and maybe a few of the other dragon specific undead templates applied to kobolds as well. Make sure that Rudisplork himself has some means of not dying of old age, so that the undead can be the tribal elders of past generations who would otherwise surpass even the limits of their dragonwrought lifespan.

EDIT TO ADD: In qualifying for Jaunter, use one of the variants of Dodge, and have the Mobility enhancement on your armor.Probably use Desert Wind Dodge, because, y'know, ToB. Though Midnight Dodge would probably be more optimal for such a build. It looks like Incarnum elements would have an easier time being fit in.

Threadnaught
2014-07-26, 08:16 PM
His warren should be tuckers kobolds and then some.

So dump him into the Rudisplorkers' Guild then? :smallcool:

In that case, each and every Rudisplorker would have to be optimal. Or Rudisplorked as I like to call it.

Sartharina
2014-07-26, 08:22 PM
Rudisplorking is Optimising, in order to create a true "Rudi Splork", you would need to ask Emperor Win what that super optimised Psion looks like.Optimizing has some positive, or at least neutral connotations. Rudisplorking, from what I gathered, was essentially building and playing a character in a manner that's disruptive to the group's playstyle - whether it's from exceeding the optimization level of everyone else, using crazy RAW stuff, actually cheating, excessive attempts at refluffing, or simply going outside the group's expectations about how the game should be played.

ArqArturo
2014-07-26, 08:23 PM

In that case, each and every Rudisplorker would have to be optimal. Or Rudisplorked as I like to call it.

And levels in Shining Blade of Heironeous.

Threadnaught
2014-07-26, 08:29 PM
Rudisplorking, from what I gathered, was essentially building and playing a character in a manner that's disruptive to the group's playstyle

Well yeah, if the group is a bunch of Cheaters. Cheaters will always be Rudisplorked down and Rudisplorked. :smalltongue:

Nilehus
2014-07-26, 08:31 PM
Optimizing has some positive, or at least neutral connotations. Rudisplorking, from what I gathered, was essentially building and playing a character in a manner that's disruptive to the group's playstyle - whether it's from exceeding the optimization level of everyone else, using crazy RAW stuff, actually cheating, excessive attempts at refluffing, or simply going outside the group's expectations about how the game should be played.

No, rudisplorking was a combination of 1) Wanting your characters to be able to do what their classes were designed to do, 2) Be able to perform these actions at least semi-competently, and 3) Being able to control your character's actions in the game.

JP was arguing against all three of these things, hence rudisplorking.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-26, 08:39 PM

In that case, each and every Rudisplorker would have to be optimal. Or Rudisplorked as I like to call it.Basically.

Optimizing has some positive, or at least neutral connotations. Rudisplorking, from what I gathered, was essentially building and playing a character in a manner that's disruptive to the group's playstyle - whether it's from exceeding the optimization level of everyone else, using crazy RAW stuff, actually cheating, excessive attempts at refluffing, or simply going outside the group's expectations about how the game should be played.Not necessarily. I didn't really get involved in the thread in question, but jedipotter's definition of cheating seemed to extend to anything that might improve your chances of success above 50%. Rudisplorking seems to run the gamut from optimizing to munchkinry to genuine cheating. But most self-professed rudisplorkers seem to be generally pro-optimization, so the term arguably has positive connotations as well.

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-26, 10:01 PM
There seems to be some confusion as to what rudisplorking means. It actually doesn't mean anything. I'll paraphrase the great Kazudo. If your group calls it cheating, it's cheating. 'If your group calls it cheesing, it's cheesing. If your group calls it rudisplorking, it's rudisplorking.' The idea wasn't for the word to be a true stand in for cheating, unless you want it to be, I guess. It was just Kazudo making a point, and it got a tad out of hand.

As far as the character goes, I'd say some kind of skill focused, dirt farming mean dwarf with a katana. I'd recommend taking ranks in the non-existant skill Knowledge: Mexican food so you can make proper tacos. Your ability scores should all be less than 10. That'll properly capture the essence of it all. Also, buy a crockpot.

Thurbane
2014-07-26, 10:24 PM
I'd say either a Factotum Chameleon Build, or 1 dip as each level...

Coidzor
2014-07-26, 10:26 PM
I like Rudisplork as an alternative to Mindrape. So I'd say Wizard or Sorcerer with some Mindbender or Psion>Thrallherd.

Vaynor
2014-07-26, 11:51 PM
The Red Towel: Guys, seriously. Creating vague offshoots of closed threads in which people continue to discuss said thread and its OP in generally unhelpful ways is not cool. The thread was closed for a reason.