PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6, solo) - Thread Three

Kaptin Keen
2014-07-26, 06:56 PM
30 years ago, the Crypt Lords arose.

Their existance had long been rumored and prophesied, but no one really believed the old tales. If such a terrible evil had once existed, how was it ever defeated? And once defeated, how could it rise again?

There may never be an answer to those questions, but the facts are inarguable: The Seven rose, and with them rose armies of the dead, an insurmountable tide of walking corpses. The nations of the world banded together, stalwart knights and masters of the arcane, faithful priests and brave footmen. All to no avail.

It's not easy to fight an enemy that can run, day and night, for weeks on end, without ever tiring. It's hard to face an enemy that never breaks, never routs, never fears. And enemy for whom any and every sacrifice of troops is acceptable.

An enemy whose numbers increase, every time one of your own falls.

The township of Helgen (meaning saint in Danish) is far from any of the battlefronts. Of the Seven Cryptlords, the armies of Űlhamac and Chor are engaged a thousand miles to the north, while Esprecht and Phystos are pushing in from the west and east, respectively. Ur-Chraile has been spotted far to the south, but has thus far avoided combat, while the last two, Odo and Skyth remain unaccounted for.

Until this morning.

The Town of Helgen:

Helgen is a walled town of 2000 souls - though at present, only around 600 remain: The old, the weak, the infirm. Also a few of dubious morals: Deserters, looters, thieves. Finally, there are some who simply wasn't around when the Kings conscriptors came around, hunters and farmers and so on.

All is not well in Helgen. Crops go untended, stores are running low, and a few old men try to fill the role of constables. The skies are heavy with black clouds, the rains are constant, and the town is in open decay without a populace to maintain it.

Even far from the front, the price of war is heavy.

Then this morning, the citizens that remain woke to a chilling sight. A ring of thralls and soulless surround the town, shoulder to shoulder, thousands of them against the towns scant hundreds. Above their encampment the the red, fanged banner of Skyth the Relentless can be seen.

There is no rescue, and no real option for defence - there are simply too few armed men in town to effectively man the walls. And the fact that the enemy is just standing there, motionsless, patient, only prolongs and deepens the sense of doom and despair.

Last night, you had a dream.

Eonas
2014-08-04, 02:59 PM
Haryan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=963632)

Haryan wakes up in a cold sweat. The God had spoken - but how was he supposed to fulfill its orders? He sat down and meditated, prayed for his daily allocation of spells, then called for his wolf Narrug. "Skyth, eh?" he said to himself.

Sorry I took so long to post - I've been unsure of what exactly to do here. Does my character know anybody to talk to about Skyth?

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-05, 06:05 AM
Sorry - I may not be the most traditional of game masters. Consider this basically open world. I build my games as a sort of ping-pong, so any action you take is likely to lead .... somewhere. Could be your death, of course.

As a druid:

You know a few things. For instance, you know Gnarlanthuol - Gnarl to his friends.

The temple in town has no cemetary directly attached to it. Instead, in the southern part of town, there is a small chapel, right next to the wall - the chapel has it's own small gate, and outside the walls lies the semetary. It is an old, sprawling thing, half cemetary, half park. It has many graves, a few crypts, a dozen winding paths between hedges and fences ... and it also has a small grove of trees, among which stands Gnarl.

Gnarl is nothing so unusual or powerful as a treant. Rather, he is an old nature spirit. Old as the tree in which he resides - many centuries have passed since his roots first took.

You also know some people in town. One, Brother Cassius, has always been kind of a rival to you - your differing faith paths are at odds, and yet you share a common respect for each other. Another, Giorn the hunter, is a man you actively dislike for his utilitarian approach to nature. On the other hand, you know Gwendolyne, a local ancient who makes medicines from herbs and small tricks handed down from a long line of grandmothers. Finally, you know Loxual, a night kin (think goblin), a refugee from somewhere who manages to hide in town (you've no clue where) and survive by stealing stuff. You have half a hunch he plays the role of house fairy in a few homes.

You do not really live in town. You are a druid, and your place is a grove that is now inaccessible - outside the ring of undead around town. Instead, you have a small shack near the town wall. It's not much, but it's yours by right of no one else wanting it.

God has commanded you to kill Skyth. He left no clues on how to do that. Gnarl is old and wise, but if he knows nothing, possibly there is some shred of knowledge in the mayors house. He has a small collection of books, but you don't have any idea on what topics. On the other hand - since the mayors murder some days hence - the house now stands empty, a frightening shadow and constant reminder of the grave situation you're all in.

Eonas
2014-08-11, 11:28 PM
Narug barks as if he were pleasantly chatting with his master. "Gnarl, eh?" asks Haryan, as if he had understood his wolf. "Yes... I think it is time to go give Gnarl another visit."

Slinging his backpack onto his back and picking up his quarterstaff, the Druid begins walking over to the temple, followed by Narug.

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-12, 09:08 AM
... by which you mean the chapel, right? The cemetary is by the chapel, but outside the town wall.

Eonas
2014-08-15, 09:08 PM
Yes, sorry. Misread your Gnarl blurb.

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-16, 04:58 AM
Your trek through town is uneventful. Arriving at the wall, however, you find the small gate is guarded.

Pretty much all fighting men in town - and most of the ones with potential to become so too - have long since been drafted or conscripted, and sent to the front to fight the Crypt Lords. The guard at the gate is decidedly elderly, a bit on the portly side, armed with a spear and wearing patchwork armor.

'Ullo', he begins, 'can't let anyone through the gate, sir. Mayors orders. Only death out there sadly.'

The gate itself is narrow, low and sits in a long corridor. Designed that way in order dissuade attackers from viewing it as a potential point of entry.

Eonas
2014-08-23, 02:30 AM
"I assure you my wolf and I can take care of ourselves." Haryan answers calmly. "We wish simply to help defend nature and our town. As a token of our goodwill, perhaps you might accept this silver piece?" He holds a silver piece in front of the man's face with a pleasant smile.

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-23, 07:25 AM
The man seems undecided a moment, muttering "well, I ain't apposed to ..." - then takes the coin.

He produces a heavy keychains and proceeds to unlock the gate. It opens onto a narrow tunnel through the wall, which terminates at a rusty but robust portcullis. He uses a wheel beside him to raise this.

"You'd better be careful, son - there are sounds from without. We never see much, touring the walls. But they're out there to be sure."

And so, you step into the dark, narrow tunnel.

Any notes on how you proceed?

Eonas
2014-08-29, 10:15 PM
Vigilantly as always, Haryan and Narug go through the tunnel to search for Gnarl.

Kaptin Keen
2014-08-30, 06:05 AM
"Vigilantly" is fluff - rolls of spot, listen and whatever else might be helpful are actions. I shall assume, for now, that you're 'taking 12', meaning you're proceeding with some caution (and you're an elf, so you get a bonus).

Roll for one thing: [roll0]
Roll for another: [roll1]
Roll for a third: [roll2]

It's a little chilling - emerging from the tunnel, and looking out on the other side. Here, on this side of the walls, you are all alone. All alone with thousands of undead who are there for no other reason than to kill you. Or whatever it is they want, but they will certainly kill you if they spot you.

From the tunnel, a gravel path leads a short distance over open ground to a small hill where the cemetary lies. Surrounded by hedges, it offers privacy to those visiting by-gone relatives or friends. It also offers a bit of protection for druids on the prowl.

As you start down the path, you pass a bit of brush and bushes on the right side of the path. In there, among the green, you spot a sort of totem pole. It looks like a spear, driven point first into the ground, decorated with bones and animal skulls.

The hairs on the back of your neck rise. It sees you, just as you see it.

Initiative please. You need to beat 8, and I'd like some actions too =)

Eonas
2014-09-02, 07:52 PM
Haryan: [roll0]
Narrug: [roll1]
Will double- or triple-post if I get an 8 or better.

Eonas
2014-09-02, 08:38 PM
Instinctively, Haryan grips his walking staff and lowers into a mobile half-crouch. Narrug steps a few feet in front of his master, growling softly. Both are alert, prepared to move at the slightest provocation.

Haryan and Narrug make a Full Defense action, for an AC of 16 and 18 respectively.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-03, 04:25 AM
Slowly, the creeping feeling fades. Nothing happens. The bones of the totem twitch slightly, but that could just be the wind. After a few seconds, you feel slightly silly. Still, the feeling was very real. Something just happened.

After the initial shock, it's clear it has no way of harming you (directly). You can examine it further, smash it to pieces, or simply continue on your way. Or some fourth option that isn't occurring to me.

Eonas
2014-09-12, 12:42 AM
Haryan relaxes his grip on his staff slightly, using one hand to wave a series of motions in the air as he murmurs a few divining words. He and Narrug watch the totem pole narrowly.

Casting Detect Magic on totem pole for 3 rounds. Haryan takes 10 on his listen and spot check for 17 on both, Narrug's spot check is 1d20+3 and listen is 1d20+3

Eonas
2014-09-12, 12:43 AM
Narrug spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-12, 04:37 AM
You thoroughly examine the totem. It is magical, and the schools of magic involved are necromancy and divination. Looking it over closely, you even see a slight shimmer, and as you peer at it closely, you realise you're eye to eye with a magical sensor.

Eonas
2014-09-20, 02:28 AM
Haryan, for a moment, shrugs slightly, then begins to cautiously approach the totem a few steps behind his wolf, gripping his quarterstaff tightly. If nothing strange happens, he continues past it towards Gnarl - otherwise, well, that'll depend on what exactly happens, but he's got his staff's 'trigger-finger' ready. His wolf bares his teeth.

Both Haryan and Narrug ready an attack for anything weird happening. Haryan's attack: [roll0] [roll1]
Narrug's attack: [roll2] [roll3]

Eonas
2014-09-20, 02:32 AM
Please Azathoth, not an 01! [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-20, 04:07 AM
... answers your prayer only with silence. There is a feeling of presence, of watchfulness, of ancient eyes and a lingering gaze. Is that indifference? Or malice? It is both. But nothing happens. For now.

Also, d100? Alright.

The bone totem does nothing but observe. You pass it, and move on towards Gnarl. Being familiar with the place, you quickly move through the maze like paths, and soon the ancient oak stands before you.

Gnarl is old, and slow to awaken. But eventually, the sap quickens. There is a rustling of leaves that is out of tune with the wind. A creaking of ancient branches, not caused by the wind. You smell fresh-turned loam, and grass, and the dry musty smell of bark. His voice, when he speaks, is strong and firm. Gnarl is a gentleman of the old school, he demands respect, but returns it in kind.

"SAPLING OF ELVENKIND, WORKER OF NATURES MAGIC, FRIEND OF TREES AND ANIMALS," he begins, "YOU RETURN INTO MY PRESENCE AS FOUL THINGS GATHER. A BLIGHT HAS COME UPON US. LET US SPEAK."

Eonas
2014-09-24, 05:23 PM
Haryan smiles briefly. "Good day, Gnarl the wise and knowledgeable. I come to you to ask for guidance and advice. I have dreamed that I must kill Skyth. Yet I do not know his wherabouts, or how to undertake this task."

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-24, 06:04 PM
The voice of the tree grows less thunderous as it ponders your question.

"I shall ask the grass for his location. I shall see him through the eyes of birds, and by the wind I shall touch him. How to slay him I know not, but the roots may dig deep, and in the ancient soil find many answers to things long forgotten. Await, druid, while I search, and contemplate."

And so the old oak falls silent. Minutes pass. The ever unreliable weather shifts, and a light drizzle begins.

Impatient, and nervous about being outside the walls, you start imagining things. The natural sounds of nature begin to sound threatening. Rustling leaves sound like swords being unsheathed. You imagine hearing footsteps approaching. And ... wait - was that?!

You may roll listen =)

Eonas
2014-09-26, 12:14 AM
Simultaneously, Haryan and Narrug both tense.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-26, 01:26 AM
((those rolls, tho))

It's nothing, though. The wind shifted, and brought some strange sound, but it's gone now. You relax again, and turn your attention back to Gnarl, who is now again stirring.

"By soil, root and sapling. Skyth is in his camp, north of town, surrounded by more undead than I can count. There are humans there as well, and an elf. Skyth seems to have been inactive for days. Sleeping?"

At this point, the wind shifts again - and this time the thunder of hooves is close enough for you to be sure. Just a single rider, you think, but someone is coming. Gnarl seems oblivious to this, and speaks on.

"You will have to bring down Skyth by what means you have at your disposal. But to destroy his spirit and keep him from ever rising again, you must ... stab the spirit itself with the Soul Light."

At this point, a ghostly whinney announces that a rider has entered the clearing in which Gnarl stands. You turn to face him, and see before you a skeletal knight, clad in black armor. He seems to shed darkness like dandruff, a hazy black aura wafting around him on the wind. He greets you with a nod, then levels his lance at you.

((You can fight him, if you feel confident, or you can try to escape him - the latter made possible only by your better knowledge of the maze of hedges and pathways in the cemetary. Also, you slip through a hedge more easily than a warhorse. Also, roll initiative.))

Eonas
2014-09-27, 12:09 AM
With the rapidity of lightning, Haryan brandishes his quarterstaff and Narrug growls; but these gestures are mere posturing. Every instinct in both their bodies was one of flight. There had been something very wrong with this whole situation to begin with, though only now were they faced with a tangible threat.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-27, 01:59 AM
The undead knight - if so he be - nods his head slightly in greeting, then spurs his mount and charges towards you.

Initiative: [roll0]

If he wins initiative, he will charge Haryan. A mounted lance charge deals double damage - so it will be rolled damage times two. Which is terribly dangerous at level one. Unfortunately, you failed those listen rolls, and didn't smash the totem before it could summon a response.

Anyways - enough excuses. Onwards to action!
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Fingers crossed =)

EDIT: So ... Narrug can act first. The attack will put Haryan at zero HP, able to act - but he will then lose conciousness, unless his action is to heal. Interesting. Good luck.

Eonas
2014-09-29, 10:43 AM
Narrug, somehow sensing that flight would be dangerous for his master, leaps towards the knight with a snarl, interposing himself between Haryan and the knight, and snapping vicious jaws at the knight's horse.

Bite attack: [roll0]
Bite damage: [roll1]
Free trip attempt, if the attack lands: [roll2]

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-29, 03:13 PM
So lets see how this all works out.

Really, I'm too much of a mother hen for this rogue-like stuff. I'm terrified of killing players, when I should be revelling in it, cackling like a loon. Anyways, the skeleton horse would get +4 for being large to avoid the trip, right. It also gets +4 for having 4 legs. So that's hard to win, but we'll see.

So ...
The Skeleton Knight cannot charge Haryan since Narrug is in his way. He charges Narrug instead. Narrug strikes first, doing 7 damage to the mount - bones shatter and break.

Resist trip: [roll0]
Long odds. If that fails, Narrug takes the damage described above. 6 points - since he cannot charge in this case. If however the mount is tripped, the rider will be thrown, and Narrug takes no damage.

Rider and mount will even take 1d6 damage each, as follows:
Skeleton Knight: [roll1]
Mount: [roll2]

With a thunder of hooves, and a disturbing lack of a warcry of any kind, the knight charges - but so does Narrug. Narrug strikes first, his jaws doing their best to tear asunder the undead mount, and hopefully pull it down. At the same time, however, the knights lance strikes the wolf, inflicting a terrible wound. Narrug howls in pain.

And it's Haryans turn. Fight or flee?

Eonas
2014-09-30, 01:51 PM
Haryan grits his teeth. There was no escape now. Chanting an ancient mantra, he waves his hand, and an wolf with an ashen coat slowly begins to materialize behind the horseman, growling.

[Assuming Narrug can go now]
Narrug, to his credit, doesn't even yelp in pain, only continues to attack, snarling and snapping vicious jaws.

Haryan casts Ashbound Extend Summon Nature's Ally I with a wolf. The wolf gets a +3 insight bonus on attack rolls and a 4-round duration. It will appear next turn. If Narrug is still alive at that point, I've got high hopes for survival.

Narrug attack: [roll0] (I WISH SNA had a standard action casting time so he'd get the flanking bonus)
Narrug damage: [roll1]
Narrug trip: [roll2]
Argh. So close to critical threat! And obviously the trip attempt auto-fails.

Don't worry about killing me off, by the way - I'll just come back with another character, stronger than ever before :) I happen to rather like brutal games myself.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-30, 06:20 PM
Narrugs jaws again connect with the undead mount, tearing out another mouthful of brittle bones. Even if it's hard to trip, the skeletal horse will topple soon regardless. Sensing the fight might actually go against him, the knight urges his mount to attack, while he tosses aside his lance and draws an unpleasant looking sword.

Ride: [roll0] (I've set the dc at 15. A warhorse would be 10, an actual horse 20 - this is a blindly obedient automaton, so somewhere in between)
Assuming that works out:
Horse attack 1: [roll1]
Horse attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Knight attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

On a side note, I did not forget the mounts attacks on round one. It was more a case of ... he was going to charge, meaning just 1 attack - plus this is not a warhorse, and it's neither free-willed nor intelligent. It does nothing of it's own accord. So I think this is the fairest way to go.

That's still a lot of attacks against Narrug. We'll see.

The blows land down on poor Narrug, and with a quiet yelp, he falls. Moments later, however, another wolf materializes behind the knight.

Your turn, sir =)

Eonas
2014-10-01, 02:31 AM
Actually, hang on. Can I make a knowledge check as to the nature of this horse?
Knowledge: Whatever (I've got 0 ranks in all knowledge skills) [roll0]
How about the rider?
[roll1]

Thanks for the game, by the way. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Now I'm tempted to make a Swordsage when this guy dies. OR, maybe try and make a dedicated undead-slayer via Cleric or something? Lemme start pre-emptively cooking up build ideas...

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-01, 04:00 AM
Um ... it's a light horse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/horse.htm#horseLight). I've applied the undead template.

I could have gone with a real warhorse, but ... I quite frankly doubt one would be available around here, and also, it's a much more dangerous beast. So this one works.

The rider is a random variant undead. Statswise, he's a skeleton - not quite basic, but close. He's fre-willed, intelligent, has feats and abilities. But the real kicker is the mounted charge, which could insta-gib any level 1 character.

This, btw, is a 'boss encounter'. When I'm mean, I reward survival.

Eonas
2014-10-01, 11:17 AM
Haryan leaps towards the horseman. There truly was no escape now - he couldn't possibly leave Narrug here, dying in the grove. He plies his quarterstaff against the knight's horse, a desperate fury guiding his blows. "Attack!" he cries to his summon. "Attack the vile beings!"
Okay. Moving on top of Narrug's corpse, basically, attacking with both ends of the quarterstaff. My attack mod is +2 from strength, +2 from flanking.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

The summoned wolf attacks the horse - or the knight, if the horse is downed by Haryan's attack. He's got a pretty hefty attack-bonus: +3 as normal, +3 insight bonus, +2 flanking.
Summon's attack: [roll2]
Trip: [roll4]

May the dice gods favor me.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-01, 07:37 PM
Is badly hurt, but definitely not dead. He has taken 16 points of damage total, and has 13 hp. He's in negatives, but a simply cure light wounds will be enough.

Haryan charges forward (for an additional +2, if you want it - you hit regardless, so I guess you don't), swinging his staff solidly into the ribcage of the skeletal horse. It finally collapses, no longer animate, and throws it's rider. He attempts to nimbly land on his feet ...

Ride, for 'soft fall': [roll0] vs 15
Dex check, to be upright rather than on his face: [roll1] vs 10

Since the horse wasn't actually moving, I'm decreeing that while he takes damage, he still lands on his feet, able to act. Also, since I got tired of making new posts for rolls I forgot, I rolled an actual die for the fall damage - a 6. So between the fall and the damage from the Ashbound summon, he's hurt quite badly.

... and while he manages to get the ground under his feet, he lands a lot less nimbly than he planned - bones rattle and crack. The undead, however, are neither prone to pain or fear. He strikes immediately at Haryan, and scores a vicious hit.

((and I cannot roll again in this post, right, cause this is an edit?!))

((And due to a cascading series of mistakes, new posts, edits, removals and so on, his rolls are now gone, but he rolled 19 to hit and did 7 points of damage. 19 is not a crit, so I did - then undid - a lot of work on that account. Haryan and the ashbound wolf are up.))

Eonas
2014-10-02, 01:43 AM
Haryan shifts his weight for a split second, allowing his summon the chance to attack first. And it does, snarling an otherworldly snarl, snapping large jaws at black armor. Haryan is there too, twirling his quarterstaff about him, the eye in the middle of a storm of oak.

Delaying Haryan's turn until after the summons. Summons attacks. +8 again.
Attack:
Trip: [roll]120+1

If knocked prone, the knight takes a -4 AC against my quarterstaff. I'm using both ends of the stick. +2 str -4 doublehanded +2 flanking = +0 attack bonus. I don't get my strength bonus on my off-hand damage, I think.
Attack 1: [roll2]
Damage 1: [roll3]
Attack 2: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]

I've been extremely lucky so far. Maybe my luck will hold?

Eonas
2014-10-02, 02:19 AM
Oops, forgot the d in 1d20.
[roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-02, 03:13 AM
I'm afraid the penalties for two-weapon fighting - without the proper feats - are much more severe. It's -6 main hand, -10 off-hand.

I'm going to assume you just use one end of the stick, and reroll for you.

Hm. I figured I couldn't possibly roll worse than you did. I could. Feel free to roll yourself instead =)

Eonas
2014-10-02, 01:00 PM
Well, actually, since the off-hand end of my double weapon counts as light, it's -4/-8. Perhaps we'll just apply a -4 to my off-hand attack, so I got an attack roll of 8 instead of 12.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-02, 01:52 PM
That is true, yes. Of course, in the final outcome it's academic anyways, since none of the above results hit. But ...

The undead knight struggles to regain his feet. AoO's for everyone.

Eonas
2014-10-02, 02:49 PM
So I take it the wolf's attack+trip succeeded?

Haryan attack/damage: [roll0] [roll1]
Narrug attack/damage: [roll2] [roll3]
Narrug trip: [roll4]

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-02, 03:04 PM
Yes! Yes indeed. In all the things I deleted, there was also the failed strength check. Sorry, that slipped my mind.

In the end, the onslaught is too much for the undead knight. Staff blows and snapping jaws tear his skeletal frame to pieces, and he collapses in a heap of broken bones. Victory!

I'll work on loot and stuff a bit - post later (and later includes the possibility of it being tomorrow. Well fought. In the end, he was less dangerous than I thought, but then that's mainly because he never got to charge. It's ok - it's rocket tag at level 1.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-05, 12:50 PM
... or, as it seems, it may be a few days before I work up the loot.

The undead knight lies dead at Haryans feet. However, Haryan ((this is assumption on my part)) first rushes to heal his fallen comrade, Narrug. As he does so, however, Gnarl speaks once more.

"... wha- that was so fast, what happened? You are still alive, sapling, and the soldier of decay lies destroyed. But your moon howler lies wounded too, and might soon expire. I can assist, sapling."

At his words, the earth beneath Narrug ripples and churns. A few drops of water trickle up out of the soil, shoots and roots spring up and envelop Narrug. As you watch, a dense green canopy grows over the wolf. It even sets a few flowers and berries. For a few moments then, nothing happens. Then, with a slightly confused bark, Narrug shakes himself, struggles out of the plant growth - and is fine.

You turn your attention to the broken undead. He carries a full complement of gear: Sword and dagger, a shield strapped to his horse, chain mail, helmet and a lance. Logically, he has no purse, no rations or bedroll. He does however have a potion on his belt.

Let me know if there is anything you want to do about any of this. Otherwise, we'll move along.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-09, 04:21 AM
... screw it, I'm bored, and I have time, and there is - after all - only one logical thing to do after downing a 'boss'. So I'm going to assume you do that.

Haryan looks over the spoils of war - none of which seems to offer any real benefit to someone of his nature loving bent. Armor, longsword, lance. Pfeh! He casts Detect Magic (because I assume you have another memorized), and finds that, lo and behold, while the sword seems to be of more than decent standard, nothing is magical. Or - wait ... is that a magical aura from the helmet?

Haryan takes a closer look. The helmet is not magical. The glow is coming from within the helmet. Puzzled, he removes the helmet. The dessicated skulls of the undead knight is revealed - and is surrounded by a slight magical glow.

Haryan is entirely unfamiliar with the finer intricasies of necromancy, but looking over the skull, it's clear there is a measure of craftsmanship apart from the obvious dark magic. The skulls appears to have been expertly opened up - by removing the top bit - then accurately closed and sealed by various leather straps.

Out of sheer curiosity, Haryan releases the straps. Opening the skull, he peers inside. The cavity where the brain used to reside has been plated in silver, inscribed with tiny, immaculate runes. In the cavity is a small scroll. As you take the scroll from the cavity, the magical glow disappears.

On the scroll is a name. Gandus Revane.

Eonas
2014-10-12, 01:08 AM
Sorry - I was intending on replying to your post and then got caught up in the whirlwind of real life.

Does the town buy items from adventurers' conquests?

"Many thanks for your help, Wise One. Late help is better than none at all." Haryan says, stashing the potion and scroll in his bag. "Where can I find this Soul Light?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-12, 04:08 AM
"This is ... unclear. It is in Skyth's possession. Somehow. He found it in the earth, in a place where battle was fought. Living men fighting dead men. A hero fell. And they did not know. They put Soul Light in the earth along with their hero. I can see no more."

Gnarl falls silent. You feel him retreating back to where he resides - in the earth, in the astral. Somewhere.

Eonas
2014-10-14, 03:31 PM
Do I know whether the town buys/sells items from/for adventurers' conquests? If I dragged back all the useless metal items I've got, would I be able to get some GP for them to buy on stuff I actually want? Or is the answer to that question "you don't know"?

Given the answer to that question, I think I'll decide what to do next.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-14, 05:05 PM
Well ... yes and no.

There is no 'Ye Olde Magic Item Shoppe' - and there is precious little gold to earn, nor items to trade them on. So that's the wrong way to be going.

On the other hand, there might be interesting opportunities for barter, or there might be some stalwarth defender of the town whose chances of making a difference on a story-level would be improved by a rather robust upgrade of arms and armor.

Also, there's the skull. If you put that scrap of scroll back inside, the magical glow resumes.

Furthermore, my apologies for ignoring your question the first time. My mind is a slippery thing, and unless I keep the firmest grip on it, it will simply do it's own thing without my permission!

Eonas
2014-10-17, 12:05 PM
"Thank you, Wise One. Your help has been invaluable." Haryan says quietly, placing the helmet inside his bag and sheathing the sword in his belt. With Narrug and the summoned wolf, he begins to retrace his steps towards the city. He was weary from the fight, had to do something useful with the items he had acquired, and suddenly wanted to talk to some others in the town.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-18, 09:33 AM
So you ... take the helmet and the sword, but leave the rest? Or take all of it? Mind ... it's the skull, not the helmet, that has a magic reading.

Haryan heads back towards the town wall. Through the same narrow passage - and as he emerges again on the inside, is very nearly beheaded by the guard, who was more than half-ready to assume anything passing that way would be an invader. He chuckles an apology, and welcomes you back, clearly somewhat surprised to see you made it back alive.

Not too much time has passed, but between your walk out and back, the talk with Gnarl and the fight, it's now early afternoon. This is when the town comes alive - or as close as it gets these days - and a bit of trade is going on, and people are gathering in the town square to discuss various problems, most prominently the lack of food sources. The reason for the lack of food - the ring of undead around the town - is not something anyone really wants to bring up.

Eonas
2014-10-21, 02:01 AM
Oh, no, I'd also got the scroll and potion a few posts ago. But I'll also take the skull, thanks - I'd misread your earlier post.

Brother Cassius, Haryan thinks. He'd know about the soulstone. The Druid and his wolf go over to visit the cleric (?).

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-21, 10:09 AM
... on the one hand, Gnarl did state that they didn't know, and buried the hero with his weapon. Which is called Soul Light. Not Soul Stone. But never mind =D

On the other though, Cassius is still (arguably) the most learned man in town, and has a (rather tiny) library at his disposal.

You make your way to the temple. You know that Cassius has been deeply troubled these last days. The burden of managing the town has fallen to him, and he isn't really much of a leader. He has delegated to Emily, his assistant, and an old guard named Thannen. Together they manage as best they can, but the town sorely needs stronger leadership.

As you approach the temple, you see the usual gaggle of people in front - all unhappy about something or other, mostly the lack of food. Thannen is talking to them, trying to settle tempers. You see neither Emily nor Cassius, but they are likely inside.

Eonas
2014-10-25, 02:57 AM
Haryan approaches Thannen. "Excuse me, but do you know where Brother Cassius is?" he politely asks, when Thannen looks slightly less busy. He then goes wherever Thannen suggests, or if Thannen doesn't know, the Druid and the Wolf enter the temple.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-25, 07:13 AM
Thannen looks at you significantly, urging you to patience with his eyes.

You wait while he concludes his business with the various people that confront him. He's a big guy, clearly well shuited for the job as a guard - maybe even for guard captain - but he's not a fast thinker nor a great diplomat. He struggles to settle the disputes, and most walk away half satisfied at best.

Finally, he turns to you. He looks around, to make sure no one is within earshot.

"Cassius has been down in the crypts for days. We have no idea what he's doing, and he wont say. I do hope you bring good news, for the good priest has been down, and acting strangely, for ... so many days now. And we really have no one else to lead us."

He goes on to explain that the crypt has two levels - one old, and one new - reached by stairs behind the altar.

((Am I the only one to ever wonder, why the old crypt (or whatever) is always lower than the new one? Like the builders of old planned ahead, and thought "lets make this crypt really deep - so we can expand above the original, when the time comes!"))

Eonas
2014-10-27, 11:44 PM
Haryan thanks Thannen, and with Narrug he goes to stash the skull, sword, and helmet in his home (preferably, locking them into a chest). Then the two of them venture out to the crypts.

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-29, 11:40 AM
Haryan stashes his loot in a locked chest under his bed, then ventures back to the temple.

The crypt is divided into a newer, upper level, and an older lower one. The upper level is beautiful, lighted by torchlight behind what Haryan recognizes as rock salt crystals. Stairs lead down further, to a much older crypt built from hewn stone. Rough and dark, it is a huge room supported by numerouss pillars - each pillar contains shelves set in each face, where rest the ancient dead.

At the center of the large room is a raised platform, where rests (actually rested) the earthly remains of St. Anton. There is light there, and you see Cassius doing .... something.

Eonas
2014-10-30, 02:07 AM
Cautiously, Haryan and Narrug approach a few steps towards Cassius.

Spot: [roll0]
Lsten: [roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-30, 05:28 AM
Cassius is sorting through something, arranging it on the floor of the crypt - you can't quite tell what. As he does so, he mumbles prayers for guidance. He's quite absorbed in this, and seems oblivious to your presence.

Eonas
2014-10-30, 05:59 PM
Haryan, from a safe distance, calls out softly. "Brother Cassius? It is I, Haryan!"

Kaptin Keen
2014-10-30, 06:50 PM
Cassius looks up, then around, until his eyes find you. His hands fumble around a bit with what he's been working with - a look of embarasment on his face.

"Oh ... uh, Haryan. Hello. What ... can I do for you?"

Eonas
2014-11-01, 06:41 PM
Haryan frowns slightly, a little confused and a little relieved. "If I might ask, what are you doing here?" he asks.

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-01, 08:16 PM
Cassius visibly gathers his thoughts - then he smiles, wearily.

"You have faith, like I. Different, but similar no less. Maybe you can understand.

St. Anton defeated the Shade of Ulhamac here. I mean literally, the battle was right here, where Helgen now stands. In all the frescos and icons, he's portrayed with a fiercely glowing holy symbol. And the Shade and all his forces wither before it.

That holy symbol was buried here, in this crypt - and I sent young Erica to retrieve it, hoping it would help us against Skyth.

But alas ... it is a simple wooden thing, and has no magical powers of any kind.

A thing had taken residence down here. A ... glop of some sort, an ooze or slime, I don't know. It had absorbed St. Antons bones - and those of several others too. I came down here to try and sort the bones. Lay St. Anton to rest again, properly. And you know, I was hoping for guidance, inspiration."

He looks slightly confused for a moment.

"How .... how long have I been down here?"

Ulhamac was (and is) one of the Crypt Lords. After they were originally defeated, his Shade lingered - a weaker incarnation, possibly not really sentient, but more of a necromantic nexus that would kill and reanimate. Think wraith-ocalypse, if you will.

Eonas
2014-11-08, 02:34 AM
Okay, gotcha.

"Days. Are you not hungry and thirsty?" Haryan replies, then pauses. "How do you know it's absorbed his bones and is now down here, if I might ask?"

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-08, 06:17 AM
"Oh. Well, Emily brings me food and water - not to worry.

I know these are St. Antons bones, because this is his grave right here. The thing thast Erica slew was nesting in it. She found St. Antons holy symbol inside it. And so these must be his bones - only there are all sorts of bones here, and I'm not really an expert."

Eonas
2014-11-10, 04:13 AM
Wait, are Emily and Erica separate people or just the product of a memory-lapse?

"A symbol? Might I see this symbol?" Haryan asks gently, approaching the holy man alongside Narrug.

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-11, 02:46 AM
Emily: Kind assistant to Cassius.
Erica: Ranger, first character to enter the game.

Cassius reaches into a pocket, and tosses you something.

"Certainly. It's deplorably plain, I'm afraid."

What you catch is a plain, wooden holy symbol.

Eonas
2014-11-11, 07:19 PM
So I'd better be looking through her thread, then.

"Have you checked it for magic?" Haryan asks, perhaps unnecessarily. He begins to rove around the room, searching for... well, anything different.

Taking 20, for 19.

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-12, 08:42 AM
Cassius' mind drifts back to the bones in front of him. Absently, he mumbles "more thoroughly than you can imagine ..."

You search the crypt carefully. It's lit well enough now, but you can only imagine Erica sneaking about down here, in the dark. You easily see the signs of her struggle: A blob or slime or whatever was lairing in St. Antons tomb. Where it moved, the floor is free of debris and dust. Where it dies, you still see smudges of it's tough, viscous mucus. You also see some footprints from Erica, and paw prints - from a large canine or similar.

Furthermore, you find another exit. Some years ago, a family of dire badgers moved into caves below the town. Erica was among those who cleared those tunnels, and as such she also knew some led out of town, even beyond the ring of undead surrounding it. Cassius informs you she went down into the badger tunnels - but never returned. She meant to scout out a way for the town populace to escape.

If you're the type to rob graves, you have a few opportunities. Otherwise, there is little here of any real importance.

Eonas
2014-11-27, 02:03 AM
After a pause, Haryan offers his hand to Cassius. "Well, I doubt you will find the answer here, Brother." He then attempts to leave Cassius back to the surface.

Does Haryan know anybody relating to the trade and/or identification of magic items?

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-28, 04:55 AM
Cassius can identify for you.

I never really agreed with the whole Identify thing. All full caster classes can analyse and identify magic items. You could do it yourself with a succesful Knowledge: Arcane, Knowledge: Religion, or spellcraft check. Only you have neither of those.

Now ... I could have pointed this house rule out earlier, I know. But since I have no intention of making the identification of magic items a difficulty, I feel ok about it.

Reluctantly, Cassius comes along - all the while mumbling '... but, St. Anton. Don't you think we ought to ...'

Eonas
2014-11-29, 05:16 PM
Oh, so I can prepare Identify myself?

Upon reaching the surface, Haryan turns to Cassius. "Brother Cassius, I encountered an undead knight on horseback. I felled him and found that on the silver-plated inside of his skull, there was a scroll inscribed with the text 'Gandus Revane'; when the scroll was inside the skull, the skull gave off a magical glow. I found this curious and puzzling, and naturally came to seek your knowledge and wisdom regarding it."

Kaptin Keen
2014-11-29, 06:25 PM
There is a flash of something - anger, fear? - in the eyes of Cassius. He studies the skull until certain, then speaks:

"The tool of the enemy. Necromancy. This skull is what separates your undead knight from the thralls and soulless that surround us. The skull itself is a sort of receptacle, or prison, for a soul. The little scroll is what lures the soul in there - Gandus Revane is a name. It's the name of the soul that ... 'drove' the undead knight."

He hesitates a while, then goes on.

"If you could find the proper way, you might be able to ... commune with it. Interrogate it, perhaps."

No. Identify is the quick and easy fix for magic items - and it remains a class feature of mages (and bards and so on). However, any full caster can do the slow and steady research, testing, reading of runes and so on, required to identify an items. It's just slower - and requires a skill check vs dc 15 plus a modifier based on the magic and complexity involved.

In your case, you can simply ask Cassius. Or wait for level 2 invest skill points. Or hell, swap some around if you like, since this rule is all news to you =)

Eonas
2014-12-02, 09:06 PM
Thank you! I moved 2 points from Handle Animal to Knowledge (Religion).
Knowledge: Religion to identify more about the purpose of the skull: [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-03, 07:22 AM
Thank you! I moved 2 points from Handle Animal to Knowledge (Religion).
Knowledge: Religion to identify more about the purpose of the skull: [roll0]

What an amusingly abysmal roll. The dice don't take away from the fact, that you have a general knowledge about things magical and divine.

The basic function isn't too weird: The skull has been transformed into a type of phylactery, holding the soul captive. Functionally, this allows the soul to control the body, transforming a mindless construct into an intelligent undead - with a measure of will and initiative, rather than a total automaton.

While you cannot be certain, you know this magic functions best if there is a direct link between the bones, the phylactery and the soul in question. In other words, it's most likely the bones are those of Gandus Revane.

Burning the scroll would release his soul. Putting the scroll back in the skull reactivates the phylactery. The undead knight remains destroyed, so it would still take some trigger or other to actually interrogate the soul - which, you cannot say for certain (you'd need a better roll).

You could let Cassius have a look - or you could look through his small library (earning you a reroll).

Eonas
2014-12-17, 02:16 AM
Okay, gotcha. After a bit of deliberation and indecisiveness, I think I'll just do the obvious thing and get a reroll.

Haryan nods. "Well, perhaps the answer lies in your library?" he asks, then, if Cassius gives him permission, leads the holy man back to Cassius' library to research.

Knowledge: Religion [roll0]

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-17, 03:12 AM
Okay, gotcha. After a bit of deliberation and indecisiveness, I think I'll just do the obvious thing and get a reroll.

Haryan nods. "Well, perhaps the answer lies in your library?" he asks, then, if Cassius gives him permission, leads the holy man back to Cassius' library to research.

.... would you like Cassius to roll to assist?

A thorough study of the skull yields many interesting results. Various forms of necromancy have been used to alter and increase the power of a standard animated dead. The rituals used for this are surprisingly simple, and could likely be copied.

The skull itself has been turned into a receptacle for the soul - trapping it, denying it access to it's proper afterlife, and granting it control over the body to which it is connected. It likely retains some memory of it's former life, and many of it's skills and abilities. It seems a stronger soul (with class levels) would produce a stronger undead.

Destroying the skull would presumably free the soul. Failing that, the soul remains tied to it, and can in principle be summoned again. You have no idea if a new body can be attached - but find it slightly doubtful - but the skull itself could be animated as is.

The little scroll is a devious component. It is used so summon the soul to be trapped in the skull - but it also binds that soul to the will of whoever penned the scroll. There is a ritual involved - but one you could easily copy, should you chose to.

Go through the rituals needed to re-summon and re-animate the skull, and ... you can interrogate it.

Eonas
2014-12-19, 10:40 PM
Sure, I'd love Cassius to assist.

That seems like a lot of work for right now. And, frankly, I'm itching to go hack some bones up. Yeah!

Haryan thanks Brother Cassius for his bibliographic assistance, then with Narrug, goes to leave the city.

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-20, 07:32 AM
Sure, I'd love Cassius to assist.

That seems like a lot of work for right now. And, frankly, I'm itching to go hack some bones up. Yeah!

Haryan thanks Brother Cassius for his bibliographic assistance, then with Narrug, goes to leave the city.

Same route as last time? Any preparations?

Eonas
2014-12-22, 07:35 PM
Yes, and no, respectively.

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-23, 11:30 AM
Leaving town through the small sally port will place you inside the ring of undead surrounding the town. Not an enviable position - outside the protection of the walls, but inside the cordon of forces threatening them.

The guard on the gate is new - a younger man, with an air of alertness about him. He questions you about your purpose and reasons for going outside, but doesn't seem inclined to stop you if you're intent on going.

It is evening, and the sun is setting on the horizon. The path you follow is the same as before.

You're perhaps twenty paces from the wall, when you seem to hear ... something.

You may roll for listen and similar stuff, if you so desire =)

Eonas
2014-12-28, 04:50 PM
Haryan politely but insistently asks the man at the gate to let him through. He and Narrug keep alert as they walk, quickly, to the north. Neither of them have purpose at this point, but perhaps they subconsciously hope to spring upon clues or at least equipment. If they destroy even ten undead, then the city's defense will be just a little bit easier.

Taking ten on spot/listen, for 17/17 for Haryan and 13/13 for Narrug.

Kaptin Keen
2014-12-28, 06:20 PM
Haryan politely but insistently asks the man at the gate to let him through. He and Narrug keep alert as they walk, quickly, to the north. Neither of them have purpose at this point, but perhaps they subconsciously hope to spring upon clues or at least equipment. If they destroy even ten undead, then the city's defense will be just a little bit easier.

Taking ten on spot/listen, for 17/17 for Haryan and 13/13 for Narrug.

Say what you will of the restless dead, but subtlety or flexible thinking have never been their strong suits. Haryan catches the sound of rattling bones, footsteps and some sort of ... work? Edging closer, he peers through the bushes that line a bend in the path - just a few yards on, a thrall and two soulless are erecting a new totem in the very spot he took down the last one.

For clues: Interrogate the skull. For equipment: Try to trade - you have a rather interesting sword. If you ask around, you will happen upon the name of a local dwarf, who might be interested in such a weapon.

Thrall are basic foot units - strong, but not particularly slow. Do not make the mistake of thinking zombie.
Soulless are ranged units. They are brittle.

You know these things, it's basically common knowledge.

Eonas
2015-01-01, 03:33 AM
Haryan whispers a few magical words; his quarterstaff grows and briefly glows with a magical aura. He glances down at Narrug and nods.

Casting Shillelagh.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-02, 08:11 AM
Haryan casts his spell, hoping the enemy does not hear. They show no reaction of any kind, instead busily preparing the magical totem, setting it in the ground. The process appears to be almost complete - right now, it's likely inactive, but in a few moment it presumably will once more be able to summon guardians.

If Haryan attacks now, he will have surprise on his side.

Eonas
2015-01-02, 03:24 PM
Haryan nods at Narrug. Simultaneously, they lurch from immobility towards the undead.

Haryan charges the nearest thrall.
Attack: [roll0] (+2 Str +2 Charge +1 Shillelagh)
Damage: [roll1] (2d6 +2 Str +1 Shillelagh)

Narrug charges and bites the soulless:
Attack: [roll2] (+1 BaB +1 Str +1 Weapon Focus +2 Charge)
Free action Trip, if attack hits: [roll4]

Initiative, if necessary after our attack:
Haryan: [roll5]
Narrug: [roll6]

EDIT: Yeesh, that was miserable.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-02, 03:44 PM
... hate you. Lets see how they feel about me =)

Initiative first: [roll0]

I'll have to double post unless I include their actions here - so I'm going to roll for them, and assume they beat your crappy initiative.

Thrall:
(Power)Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
The thrall swings his great axe overhead with both hands, looking for a single, killing blow. (lets hope he misses)

Soulless:
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

The soulless use their javelins in melee - but since they are meant for throwing, they are at a disadvantage up close.

The thrall makes an impressive swing with his huge weapon. It's a good bit off the mark, but the axe thunks impressively into the ground, in a blow that would have dealt terrifying damage, had it hit.

The soulless do not like being in melee - not one bit. They desperately strike with their ranged weapons against the growling wolf and both manage to hit it.

Eonas
2015-01-02, 04:16 PM
Isn't the second soulless attack a critical threat?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-02, 04:29 PM
Whoops ... missed that.

Crit confirm: [roll0]

Eonas
2015-01-02, 04:42 PM
Haryan recovers from his charge and plies his large quarterstaff against the thrall with redoubled vigor. Narrug, snarling and bleeding, attacks one of the soulless.

There is balm in Gilead after all. Narrug's only down to 6 HP.

Haryan TWFs: [roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

Narrug attack/damage: [roll4] [roll5]
Trip: [roll6]

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-02, 04:49 PM
Haryan attacks with first one, then the other end of his enchanted staff. The thrall avoids the first blow, but the other hits it square in the jaw, shattering bone, spraying teeth and rotted meat everywhere.

On the other side, Narrug bits into the half-insubstantial stuff of the soulless.

Thrall: (Power)Attack: [roll0]

Soulless:
Attack: [roll2]
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Off guard, the undead counters your attack, but are unbalanced and ill positioned. Their attacks are feeble and useless.

Eonas
2015-01-04, 05:17 PM
Haryan briefly smiles with satisfaction, and takes advantage of the thrall's momentary vulnerability to strike it again. Narrug does the same with his, now damaged, opponent.
And again the same rolls.
Haryan 1 [roll0] [roll1]
Haryan 2 [roll2] [roll3]
Narrug 1: [roll4] [roll5]
Narrug trip: [roll6]

Hey, that could have gone a lot worse.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-10, 11:04 AM
I clicked the thread, figuring I'd reply a bit later ... then forgot about it. So then it wasn't highlighted under subscriptions any more. Sorry!

With a strong, precise swing of his staff, Haryan brings down the Thrall. By his side, Narrug gets the better of the first of the Soulless, and it's corrupt essence dissipates to the winds.

The last Soulless, predictably undeterred, continues it's assault on the wounded wolf.

Eonas
2015-01-12, 04:11 AM
Haryan steps over to where the other soulless stands and attempts to fetch it a blow; Narrug, envigorated, attacks again.

I do the same thing all the time.

Haryan attack: [roll0] [roll1]
Narrug attack: [roll2] [roll3]
Narrug trip: [roll4]
Not bad, I guess.

If I can five-foot step to have Haryan and Narrug flank the soulless, then they both get +2 to hit.

And yikes! That was a bad bit of combat prose, but I couldn't think of anything better. I always struggle with that stuff - there's only so much stuff you can write as a player, isn't there? If you're GM-ing, it's just a matter of adjectives and verbs and 'bang, you wallop the monster on the nose with a loud smack, and...'. But as a player, you have no idea whether your attack'll hit or not; your narration is therefore confined to the attempt, not the result. It's just one of those difficult things about PbP that I have difficulty adjusting to.

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-12, 04:35 AM
No longer dual-wielding?

Eonas
2015-01-12, 01:11 PM
Well, sure, but I assumed Haryan wasn't just a 5-foot-step away from the other soulless.

Attack 2, if relevant: [roll0] [roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-13, 02:06 AM
Haryan and Narrug both sidestep to flank their last opponent. It stands scant chance as the attacks rain down on it, and it's soon sent back to whatever afterlife it was summoned from. The fight is over. Haryan ((I assume)) takes a moment to destroy yet another totem, and then the quiet once again settles across the country side.

Congratulations!

For with that, Haryan reaches level 2. You may update your sheet, and proceed according to any whimsy that strikes you.

Unsure if such interest you - but the thrall has a great axe and a somewhat tattered chain mail. The soulless carry nothing.

Eonas
2015-01-13, 10:53 PM
Off to the levelling lab! I'll see you again soon, sweaty and panting and with a beaming grin on my face.

Eonas
2015-01-16, 01:07 AM
I forget. Do I roll for HP or take average, or what?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-16, 03:14 AM
Roll. Reroll if completely garbage.

Eonas
2015-01-16, 03:27 AM
[roll0]
Reroll if necessary: [roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-16, 03:41 AM
The 5 will do =)

Eonas
2015-01-18, 02:16 PM
Brilliant, thank you!

Now I think I'm finished. My charsheet's linked on my first post in this thread, if you care to look over it. Shall I continue?

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-18, 05:37 PM
... proceed, good sir =)

Eonas
2015-01-26, 01:33 AM
Haryan looks around and sighs.

Okay. I've been overthinking this, as I always do. So I think I'll just do Knowledge: Local to know what lies beyond this point. [roll0] Specifically, I'm wondering about any strategic locations the undead might be occupying.

EDIT: Hahaha!

Kaptin Keen
2015-01-26, 04:36 AM
What an amusingly crappy roll =)

You know the lay of the land for miles around town - you don't need to roll for that. Every brook and meadow, every field and forest. You're a druid, after all. However, you don't know much about the undead. They are not a traditional military force, they don't need supplies, they don't sleep, they don't go to taverns, they don't go wenching.

For most of them, that is true. You've heard there are humans - or humanoids at any rate - in the camp.

They main camp is well known to you - it's north of the town. It is basically a defensible ring atop a small hill. It is ringed by a ... wall of bones style thing. It has no openings.

You know there is some sort of secondary camp somewhere to the east. You have no idea what could be there (I did mention that camp to you, did I not? Or was that the other player? Anyways, now you know - maybe someone in town mentioned it, if I never did).

And you could still interrogate the skull.

Eonas
2015-02-02, 02:10 AM
Haryan addresses Narrug. "There are more battles to win tomorrow, but I tire. Let us return and question the skull again, then face the undead with new strength."

He and his wolf return to the city, tipping the guard a silver piece if necessary.

Hang on, what sort of rituals was Haryan supposed to inscribe to talk with the soul? Is it something written on the scroll, or does Haryan even know the answer to that question?

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-02, 04:21 AM
*Woof!* answers Narrug. He seems to agree that there are other priorities today than looking for more fights.

The guard lets you back in without comment.

The ritual, of course, is a lot of arcane mumbo-jumbo and nonsense - runes inscribed on specially prepared parchment, ancient invocations whispered as the candles flicker blue, all the usual.

But in practical terms, you need just roll knowledge arcane/religion/spellcraft or similar to succeed. Dc is 15.

Eonas
2015-02-04, 02:49 AM
Haryan retreats to his quarters and studies the scroll and skull. After several hours of frustrated scribbling, he gives up and goes to bed beside his wolf. Next morning, he prepares his spells.

Well, Knowledge: Religion, then. [roll0]

If that fails, then maybe I'll just go grab a real live hooman to talk to.

EDIT: Oooh. So close. Oh well. Human-hunting time, then. First, though, where can I contact Giorn the hunter? He could potentially make the task considerably easier.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-04, 04:29 AM
Makes sure he's counting all his circumstance bonuses before he gives up. Brother Cassius let you borrow a book, remember? With +2, that's easily a succes.

The skulls is sitting there, at Haryan eats his breakfast and communes with all of nature for his spells. It seems to be watching him. In fact .... it is watching him!

A raspy, chilling voice issues from it:

Did you want something from me, tree hugger - or did you bring me back just to sit there eating oat meals at me?

Eonas
2015-02-15, 03:37 PM
Haryan starts. "Ah, yes. I would like to speak to you regarding, well, necromancy. Who trapped you inside that skull?"

Whoops! I missed this thread - opened it, left it till later, forgot, then thought I was waiting on you.

And yes, I'll take the +2 bonus - forgot about that.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-15, 04:08 PM
... a classic. I do it all the time.

Meanwhile, I've forgotten the name of the main villain. I need to check up on that. Oh yea - Skyth.

I was dead. Then I rose again. Before me stood a dark lord, raw power pulsing from him, literally a thrum in the air in the earth. He said to me "I am Skyth. You will serve me. Without hesitation or question." And I did. Now ... now I serve you.

Eonas
2015-02-18, 01:36 AM
Narrug growls, but Haryan shushes him. "Thank you. You're very kind. Who were you before you acquired this, er, condition?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-18, 08:22 AM
I ... don't know. I have scattered memories of hurt and betrayal. Of being wronged. Of anger, and hatred. It ... I feel like there was more, but when I try to remember, it ... recedes. Fades.

Eonas
2015-02-26, 12:58 PM
Oh crap! I did it again, didn't I? I always leave this thread for last because I GM just about every other game and I don't want my players waiting on me, but sometimes I forget.

Haryan nods. "And who was it that consigned you to this state, and how did they do it?"

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-26, 01:11 PM
... you already asked me who. Skyth, remember? The skulls has no facial expression, yet somehow seems to give you a disparaging look. As to how, to be entirely frank with you I was dead and unaware until they were finished.

I know how to fight, I can make use of weapons and armor. I believe I can animate the bones of a skeleton, though perhaps it would need to be my own?

... you're looking for information on where to go next - like, anything interesting outside the main camp?

Eonas
2015-02-27, 02:23 AM
"Ah. Yes. Let me go fetch your bones. First, I'm afraid I ought to put you in my chest for safety. I'm sure you'll understand."

Haryan puts the skull in the chest, locks it, and with Narrug, goes back out to the Ent's grove.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-27, 02:45 AM
((It's really more of a nature spirit residing in a tree than an actual treant - but I know what you mean))

Once again, Haryan leaves the safety of the town walls. He easily finds his way back to the sacred grove where Gnarl resides. There, somewhat scattered, lie the broken bones of the undead knight. He looks a little worse for wear, having after all been struck down twice in mortal combat. Maybe a few splints and straps of leather could bind him back together again reasonably?

((roll heal to attempt a quick fix-up))

Otherwise, the day is peaceful. The rain has abated for now, but the sky is an alternating patchwork of blue skies and dark clouds.

Eonas
2015-02-28, 02:12 PM
Haryan pulls a sack out of his backpack and carefully puts all the bones into it. Then, he goes back home to attempt to piece it together there.

If I get back safely, I take 20 on heal for a result of 23.

Kaptin Keen
2015-02-28, 02:24 PM
Back home, Haryan takes it nice and slow - splinting that's broken, reinforcing with leather and whatever else comes to hand. In the end, he has a complete, if slightly second-hand looking skeleton. For a final tough, he places the skull atop the pile of mended bones, wondering can that be all it takes?!

Necrotic energy, black and oily, drips from the skulls. Tendrils of the stuff reach out, touching, re-animating. It seems like some unearthly howl should accompany it as the undead knight rises again - but somehow the silence broken by rattling bones is even eerier.

I am whole again. Bring me a weapon, and I shall fight for you.

He is two hitdice (if I recall correctly), but currently slightly weakened despite the repair. I'll make a character sheet for him, but basically he's at half health. However, he has +1 ac for the leather and splints and all.

Also, he's fearless and expendable =)

Eonas
2015-03-04, 02:12 AM
Haryan rummages inside his chest, grabs the well-crafted sword he stashed there, and hands it to the skull. Then he pauses.

"Your sword. But I fear they won't let you out of the village. We'll have to smuggle you out. Do you think you could still fit in the armor you used to be in?"

If the answer is yes, Haryan smiles, tells the skeleton to stay put inside the hut, exits it, and goes to see if he can hire a pony or horse somewhere.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-04, 02:51 AM
Allow me do demonstrate. And then the knight collapses into a pile of bones, easily stored in a box long enough for the femur and something three hands high. He reassembles before your eyes, and goes on, I can use arms and armor, yes.

Eonas
2015-03-17, 02:56 AM
Haryan smiles. "Excellent. If you wouldn't mind disassembling again?" he says, places the bones into a bag, and, with Narrug, goes back to the Treant's lair to pick up the suit of armor again.

If there's anything to see/hear, Haryan takes ten for 18 spot/listen, and Narrug takes ten for 13/13.

Kaptin Keen
2015-03-17, 05:01 AM
An hour later, you are back in the sacred grove. The undead knight is back in armor, and ready to go.

What is your command, master?