PDA

View Full Version : Force Attack and Immediate Invisibility?

CGDG
2014-07-26, 08:12 PM
Hello Playground.

It's my first time posting on the boards. I'm a long-time lurker and love reading build suggestions here. I find myself in a pickle with my most recent idea for a character and need a little guidance. Naturally, I came here.

I'm working on a Ninja/Fighter (ifthe Serenity feat is permitted, maybe a little Paladin). The concept is that the character has sworn an oath to defend another PC (after they saved hem from a terribl fate, decided by the DM). I was thinking of using Duitiful Guardian and Robilar's Gambit (does it have a D?) to allow me to better protect the PC, as well as other squishy party members, while still being able to get additional hits in.

My problem is, until my BAB is +12, I can't take Robilar's. I Saw a feat in PHB2 that would give me a similar benefit is attacked while invisible. However, this requires me to be able to force an opponent to attack me.

CHA will likely be my dump stat. I checked Goad, but with a dumped CHA, the will save will be very easy to beat. Are there any othr ways I can force opponents to designte me as their target (even if they can't see me?) or, any ways for a ninja to become invisible as an immediate action, instead of a swift?

Aegis013
2014-07-26, 08:26 PM
An Invisible Fist Monk (Exemplars of Evil) gets the ability to become invisible once per three rounds as an Immediate action in exchange for Evasion at level 2. It Improves at Monk 9, but you probably don't want that much Monk.

The feat Martial Stance from Tome of Battle would let you get Iron Guard's Glare, which you can use as a Swift action and a designated opponent must attack you or receive a -4 to hit (basically for the entire fight or until you use a swift to designate a new target for the ability). It has a prerequisite of Martial Study, but there are a plethora of excellent options there, in the vein you're looking for, assuming sufficient IL, you could get Cloak of Deception, which gives you Greater Invisibility as a Swift action until the end of your turn, or Shadow Jaunt, which is a 50ft standard action teleport. (you'd need to be level 6 for either of these particular Martial Study feats if you don't have ToB class levels)

Shinken
2014-07-26, 10:29 PM
You could use Karmic Strike instead of Robilar's Gambit.
You could use Swordsage instead of Ninja.
You could use Unarmed Swordsage to make it easier to take Karmic Strike.

Karmic Strike is cool because it triggers on being hit, but it resolves before damage, so if you disarm your foe with your counter you won't take any damage.

CGDG
2014-07-26, 11:08 PM
I don't currently own ToB. I hear a lot of chatter from people who believe the classes and abilities are overpowered, which makes me a little uncomfortable in using them. I have heard of swordsage as a more useful and less horrible version of a monk. I understand the basic concept of the class, but I don't want to feel like I'm taking the easy way out.

The character I'm working on is pretty feat heavy. Karmic strike would require additional feats I wasn't planning on taking and a higher risk of damage. Additionally, I don't have iproved disarm or improved trip. Even by 6th level, I likely won't have those two feats, making karmic strike a little risky. I would likely have to drop the opponent immediately to escape damage.

My AC is likely to be quite high (Wis Bonus to AC, plus dodge and I belive swordsages can use armor). A guaranteed hit not very likely. If it does occur, I probably won't have the HP to soak it all up without problems. What alternative exist with karmic strike where I don't take the damage or don't need to be hit? Robilar's is the only one I know.

Shinken
2014-07-26, 11:49 PM
I don't currently own ToB. I hear a lot of chatter from people who believe the classes and abilities are overpowered, which makes me a little uncomfortable in using them. I have heard of swordsage as a more useful and less horrible version of a monk. I understand the basic concept of the class, but I don't want to feel like I'm taking the easy way out.

The character I'm working on is pretty feat heavy. Karmic strike would require additional feats I wasn't planning on taking and a higher risk of damage. Additionally, I don't have iproved disarm or improved trip. Even by 6th level, I likely won't have those two feats, making karmic strike a little risky. I would likely have to drop the opponent immediately to escape damage.

My AC is likely to be quite high (Wis Bonus to AC, plus dodge and I belive swordsages can use armor). A guaranteed hit not very likely. If it does occur, I probably won't have the HP to soak it all up without problems. What alternative exist with karmic strike where I don't take the damage or don't need to be hit? Robilar's is the only one I know.

ToB is not overpowered, you should check it out.
I suggested Unarmed Swordsage because it would make it easier to fulfill requirements for Karmic Strike, but you can actually use normal Swordsage (which would keep light armor) and wear Bracers of Striking (which are cheap and grant Improved Unarmed Strike).
High AC is not detrimental with Karmic Strike. Between Iron Guard's Glare and KS, you get your target on a lose-lose situation: they either attack someone else with a -4 penalty or attack you - and attacking you they are either going to miss or they are going to take a hit for their trouble. Karmic Strike makes attacking you more likely to result in a hit, though.
Personally, I'm not a fan of Karmic Strike because at level 12 you're probably not going to be able to tank multiple hits from a heavy hitter anyway (and the actual heavy hitters won't be trying to hit you in melee).

Oh, I just checked - the Complete Warrior version of Karmic Strike does not require IUS. So yeah.

CGDG
2014-07-27, 12:06 AM
Could you apply the sidestep feat to karmic strike? It allows you to take a 5 foot step after an attack of opportunity. If your opponent hits you, but damage isn't calculated yet, you attack then move 5ft, away from the attack, do you not receive the damage?

EDIT: Or, could something similar to what is described above be accomplished with spring attack?

Gavinfoxx
2014-07-27, 12:18 AM
ToB isn't overpowered, it is more powerful than underpowered classes.

Those underpowered classes being Monk, Ninja, Fighter, Paladin. It's actually at around the most balanced point of D&D -- that being the power level of Bard, the three ToB classes, Psychic Warrior, Psychic Rogue, Beguiler, Factotum, Ardent, etc.