PDA

View Full Version : Flurry of Blows Greatsword

CGDG
2014-07-26, 10:55 PM
A previous character cconcept was a ninja/fighter. With new informatoin gleamed from Aegis013, I'm now likely looking at a monk. Though unarmed fighting ninjas and monks are commonplace, it's not really what I was looking to play and I would still prefer not having to use unarmed strikes or monk weapons. I was primarily looking to wield a greatsword (...I know, I know).

If I am going to be taking monk levels and will have flurry of blows available I would like to make use of it. I'm still not keen on only using unarmed strikes or monk weapons. Is there a way for me to use flurry of blows with a greatsword or use it to mix unarmed strikes with longsword attacks?

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-26, 10:57 PM
The Shou Disciple PrC from Unapproachable East can flurry with any light weapon at 3rd level and any melee weapon at 5th.

Gavinfoxx
2014-07-26, 11:14 PM
Is your concept 'eastern themed unarmed warrior who sometimes uses a greatsword quickly' or a 'guy who hits very very fast with a greatsword' in general?

And you can always mix unarmed strike and greatsword attacks. You could ALWAYS do that, even with a fighter, as long as you can make multiple attacks. You don't need to be a monk to do that...

What precisely is your theme, and what combat style are you thinking of? Ignoring class for a second?

Red Fel
2014-07-26, 11:15 PM
The Whirling Steel Strike feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) allows you to treat a longsword as a Monk weapon and perform Flurry with it. Similarly, Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East) has been mentioned.

But I can't think of anything that allows for a greatsword specifically.

That said, easy fix. Step one, get Whirling Steel Strike. Step two, get a greatsword with the Aptitude Weapon enhancement. You may now apply your Weapon Focus (longsword) and Whirling Steel Strike to the greatsword.

You will have to have WF (longsword) and proficiency in longsword in order to be able to take Whirling Steel Strike. I recommend taking a one-level Fighter dip for both.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-26, 11:33 PM
The Whirling Steel Strike feat (Eberron Campaign Setting) allows you to treat a longsword as a Monk weapon and perform Flurry with it. Similarly, Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East) has been mentioned.

That said, easy fix. Step one, get Whirling Steel Strike. Step two, get a greatsword with the Aptitude Weapon enhancement. You may now apply your Weapon Focus (longsword) and Whirling Steel Strike to the greatsword.

You will have to have WF (longsword) and proficiency in longsword in order to be able to take Whirling Steel Strike. I recommend taking a one-level Fighter dip for both.

Serpent Strike, Double Steel Strike, and Pole Master all also do the same things, for Longspears, Double Bladed Swords, and any chosen reach weapon respectively. The first two are also from the Eberron Campaign Setting, the third from Secrets of Sarlona.

It's a matter of preference.

CGDG
2014-07-27, 12:01 AM
Is your concept 'eastern themed unarmed warrior who sometimes uses a greatsword quickly' or a 'guy who hits very very fast with a greatsword' in general?

And you can always mix unarmed strike and greatsword attacks. You could ALWAYS do that, even with a fighter, as long as you can make multiple attacks. You don't need to be a monk to do that...

What precisely is your theme, and what combat style are you thinking of? Ignoring class for a second?

My concept was assassin who, atfer being saved, swears to protect another PC. It's someone who hits vital spots with a big weapon. It's a killer. Out of the two options you presented, it would be the latter.

The Shou Disciple PrC from Unapproachable East can flurry with any light weapon at 3rd level and any melee weapon at 5th.

This would work nicely. Thank you.

Also very nice. Much appreciated.

CGDG
2014-07-27, 12:03 AM
Okay. So, I realized what I was working on would require multiple immediate actions per turn. With this in mind, the monk levels are no longer necessary.

Gavinfoxx
2014-07-27, 12:04 AM
Why not just be a Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian?

And what do you mean by assassin?

Someone who wears black leather, hides, and kills people with daggers and crossbows and poison for money?

OR

Someone who simply accepts money to kill people?