PDA

View Full Version : [Week 4] Which is the Playground's favorite monster? - Vote from the grave.

Yael
2014-07-26, 10:59 PM
Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Undead Type!
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84763.jpg

My vote: I have a special place for Necropolitans in my little kokoro. Also, for this week, three votes will come out from me: Mind Flayer, Alhoon, and Mind Flayer, Vampire. As you know, I love aberrations, and these two aren't the exception, a deyum lich mindflayer? Yes, please!

The date to finish the count will be Sathurday, August 2nd; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.) Also, when a creature is created due to an application of an adquired template (such as Skeleton and Zombie), and it is stated in its entry which template is applied, it is allowed to be counted in the popularity table; however, if a creature whose entry is sharing a template from anywhere else (such as a creature with a template which is not stated in the creature's respective entry) won't be allowed to be counted.

Creature
Source

Votes

Allip
Monster Manual, p10

Atropal
Epic Level Handbook, p159

Atropal Scion
Libris Mortis, p84

Bhut
Fiend Folio, p20

Bloodhulk Crusher
Monster Manual IV, p21

Boneclaw
Monster Manual III, p17

Dessicator
Libris Mortis, p94

Deathknight
Monster Manual II, p207

Dracolich
Draconomicon, p146

Drowned
Monster Manual III, p46

Evolved Undead
Libris Mortis, p99

Ghost
Monster Manual, p116

Ghoul
Monster Manual, p118

Hullathoin
Fiend Folio, p96

Lich
Monster Manual, p166

Lich, Demilich
Epic Level Handbook, p174

Lich, Dry
Sandstorm, p157

Mhorg
Monster Manual, p189

Mind Flayer, Alhoon
Lords of Madness, p156

Mind Flayer, Vampire
Lords of Madness, p160

Mummy
Monster Manual, p190

Necromental
Libris Mortis, p112

Necropolitan
Libris Mortis, p114

Nightshade, Nightwing
Monster Manual, p197

Skeleton
Monster Manual, p255

Slaymate
Libris Mortis, p122

Vampire
Monster Manual, p250

Vampiric Dragon
Draconomicon, p195

Vasuthant
Monster Manual III, p182

Vitreous Drinker
Monster Manual IV, p174

Wight
Monster Manual, p255

Wight, Dust
Monster Manual III, p47

Wraith, Dread
Monster Manual, p258

Zombie
Monster Manual, p265

[/tr]

Work in progress.
• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.
• No Pathfinder.
• No homebrewed material.

[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990) Aberration Type.
[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761) Dragon Type.
[Week 3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362428-Week-3-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Obey-the-Law(ful)!&p=17787914#post17787914) Lawful Subtype.
[Week 4] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363934-Week-4-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Vote-from-the-grave&p=17834771#post17834771) Undead Type.

Yael
2014-07-26, 11:04 PM
I apologize for taking too long for updating this, my computer crashed to death and well, I'm no rich person, but here am I.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-26, 11:05 PM
Due to personal experiences with using them as a DM, I'm going to have to go with the Bloodhulk Crusher, MM4 Page 21. CR 8, HD 20. Makes for a good "big scary undead" boss fight, especially when flanked by the smaller Bloodhulks.

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-26, 11:07 PM
My favorite is probably the Lich(and by extension Demilich), so voting for that.

singera
2014-07-26, 11:08 PM
i'm happy to say i also must vote for the lich

Shieldbunny
2014-07-27, 12:18 AM
The Dracolich from FRCS.

Leviting
2014-07-27, 12:24 AM
Atropal. I didn't fall asleep very quickly after seeing that picture for the first time.

erok0809
2014-07-27, 12:25 AM
I love the atropal scion from Libris Mortis, page 84. Undead stillborn godling babies! It's hard to get more ridiculous(-ly awesome) than that.

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-27, 12:26 AM
I'm gonna go with the wight on this one.

Yael
2014-07-27, 12:46 AM
Updated... OMG... The Atropal... please... HOLY!!!!
Not to mention that psionic atropal!!!! OMG!!!!

Earthbound comes to mind.

Krakard Vakurt
2014-07-27, 12:47 AM
Favourite undead? (Shoot, can't be the "Chosen Undead"...)

Hmm, probably vampires, just the mythos behind them as well as their abilities are so intriguing.

CIDE
2014-07-27, 12:48 AM
My first response is Curst. But since i know this will likely be the one and only vote for it I'll go with the atropal.

Not sure how I missed the earlier weaks too. Fortunately my votes wouldn't have been meaningful except for dragons since it'd be for the Time Dragon. which would've turned the fifth place from a big tie to straight up time dragon.

Zanos
2014-07-27, 01:13 AM
Gonna have to go with Lich.

Deicidal1
2014-07-27, 01:20 AM
Slaymate, there's no better way to introduce a creepy necromancer villain that to have him walk in holding hands with two of these things, that scene still gives me shivers.

Irk
2014-07-27, 01:48 AM
Drowned, MMIII. Mechanically awesome, and flavorfully horrifying.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain that an Alhoon Mind Flayer is just a Vampire Mind Flayer.

bjoern
2014-07-27, 01:58 AM
Wight for me. Early in my RP years, we had a party of 4 encounter a group of 2 wights. Had a wounded character that got bad rolls and was turned into one in short order. Had no cleric so it was a TPK. still makes us laugh when we talk about it.
Have made sure to have a cleric in then party since then.

Yael
2014-07-27, 02:09 AM
Drowned, MMIII. Mechanically awesome, and flavorfully horrifying.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain that an Alhoon Mind Flayer is just a Vampire Mind Flayer.

Two different entries, a lich aberration and a low-intelligent spawn of an illithid.

Thurbane
2014-07-27, 03:15 AM
Vitreous Drinker (MM4). To me, it really stands out from many of the other undead, and I love it's fluff (servant of Vecna etc.).

Honorable mention to the Hopping Vampire (OA) :smallbiggrin:

Socksy
2014-07-27, 05:17 AM
If I'm allowed multiple votes, then the Lich!
If it's allowed, I'll also vote for the Grim Psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030628b) :D :D Psions who slowly become liches? Do waaaaant!
Oh, also, the Wight c:

Inevitability
2014-07-27, 05:45 AM
Too bad Atropus isn't statted... :smallfrown:

I think I am going with Allips. Insane, incorporeal suicide victims who can dominate 50% of the monsters in the game? Yes please.

Brookshw
2014-07-27, 07:52 AM
Dread Wraith, concept just has a very primal fear/death element for me.

Honorable mention for entomber, what's funnier than pounding your enemies into the ground like stakes?

Ganorenas
2014-07-27, 08:45 AM
Dracolich

Who doesn't like undead dragons that body swap?

Bluydee
2014-07-27, 09:57 AM
The boneclaw. They have claws! Made of bone!

PraxisVetli
2014-07-27, 03:58 PM
In the OP, you have Atropal Psion.
Its Scion.
Just saiyan.
And OMG, so many wonderful Undead! Morghs, Ghasts, nd I have been known to get a little overboard with the Necromental Template.
BUT.
The winner, for me, the most baddonkey Undead out there, is the Nightwing.
Great with Evolved, then armoured up and slap a RKV Wight on top, send that bugger into battle!
Makes the players crap every time!

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 04:03 PM
Ugh, I can't even vote. DnD has so many cool undead. Liches, wights, necropolitans, atropals, slaymates...

Human Heritage Necropolitan? The type is techinically undead, even if the traits are not. The same applies to liches...

Dry Lich with Human Heritage. Even immune to water, since they treat water as Holy Water. They are treated as human for holy water.

nyjastul69
2014-07-27, 04:09 PM
My vote is for the wight.

ETA: Both the lich and nightshades get honorable mention.

Forrestfire
2014-07-27, 04:16 PM
Gonna be Lich, here. Always been a favorite of mine.

Vaz
2014-07-27, 04:25 PM
Drowned. Such a unique ability, and hard as anything at that CR.

Amphetryon
2014-07-27, 04:30 PM
I read the OP as making the Necropolitan - my first choice - not valid for this contest's purposes.

If this is the case, Alhoon gets my vote.

Leviting
2014-07-27, 05:18 PM
In the OP, you have Atropal Psion.
Its Scion.
Just saiyan.
And OMG, so many wonderful Undead! Morghs, Ghasts, nd I have been known to get a little overboard with the Necromental Template.
BUT.
The winner, for me, the most baddonkey Undead out there, is the Nightwing.
Great with Evolved, then armoured up and slap a RKV Wight on top, send that bugger into battle!
Makes the players crap every time!

Your pun was on purpose, right?

The Viscount
2014-07-27, 05:19 PM
The boneclaw. They have claws! Made of bone!

They also have Lady Gaga's meat dress. Together a killer combo.

So many choices. I'm going to go with the Bhut from FF. It's profoundly weird in many ways and has a lot of tricks up its sleeves, but what really wins me over is being based off of the Vetal, making it one of the very few monsters (along with Rakshasas) based off of Hinduism.

HMs go to the Undead Martyr for being just the goshdarn nicest undead ever, both in death and undeath, and to the Vasuthant for being an adorable little (or big if we're talking about the Horrific) ball of shadow that alters reality. Cleric + rebuked Vasuthants = win

enderlord99
2014-07-27, 09:00 PM
I read the OP as making the Necropolitan - my first choice - not valid for this contest's purposes.

I read it as him voting for them himself, and doing likewise for both the illithid variants.

Not sure how you could get "they aren't valid" from that.:smallconfused:

Amphetryon
2014-07-27, 09:05 PM
I read it as him voting for them himself, and doing likewise for both the illithid variants.

Not sure how you could get "they aren't valid" from that.:smallconfused:

No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed Please indicate a page number for any creature which started out with an acquired template.

2014-07-27, 09:08 PM
Dust Wight, MM3. Not as much for its special abilities as for how much I facepalmed after seeing that it was the fourth elemental undead, in addition to the ones in LM. When I only had LM, I was really ticked off that we didn't have an earth undead, but we really did.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-27, 11:54 PM
Your pun was on purpose, right?

Assuming you mean the saiyan, yep!

Inevitability
2014-07-28, 12:18 AM
They also have Lady Gaga's meat dress. Together a killer combo.

*Checks boneclaw picture*

Holy Crêpe, they actually do! Now I wonder where Lady Gaga got the idea for that dress from... :smallwink:

sorryjzargo
2014-07-28, 12:40 AM
My vote's for the Mohrg.

enderlord99
2014-07-28, 12:42 AM
Please indicate a page number for any creature which started out with an acquired template.

By "started out" he didn't actually mean "was born." He meant "don't layer a bunch of templates to make a new creature, then claim it's your favorite; only uses printed ones."

NecroFrost
2014-07-28, 02:14 AM
The Evil Overmind Humanoid oder the Evil Overmind Dragonmonster ... hmmm ...

Hard Decision, but the Dracolich is very rare and is a good final boss for a campaign. For the way to the boss can be some more liches and so many liches.
Demonliches, Cthululiches, Goodliches etc ...

So i vote for the Lich

Yael
2014-07-28, 05:50 AM
I apologize about the Necropolitan stuff, I was wrong and messed with my own rules, even while I still love the Necropolitan, it will not be counted for the Popularity table as Necropolitans are an adquired template; however, I disagree with the Alhoon & Mind Flayer Vampire, as they have their own entry and are considered a variant on the race, as they aren't adquiring their new type by using a stated template. To clarify, if a template is already applied to a creature per the entry, while not just showing a sample, it is permited (as the lich, and vampire.)

Auramis
2014-07-28, 06:32 AM
All other undead think they're cool up until they get LICH SLAPPED! Throwing in my hat for the Lich.

Norin
2014-07-28, 06:37 AM
If I may suggest: The Slaymate

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84772.jpg

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-28, 08:53 AM
I apologize about the Necropolitan stuff, I was wrong and messed with my own rules, even while I still love the Necropolitan, it will not be counted for the Popularity table as Necropolitans are an adquired template; however, I disagree with the Alhoon & Mind Flayer Vampire, as they have their own entry and are considered a variant on the race, as they aren't adquiring their new type by using a stated template. To clarify, if a template is already applied to a creature per the entry, while not just showing a sample, it is permited (as the lich, and vampire.)No acquired templates rules out a lot of undead. Like, right around 90% of them, at a guess. For most contests it's a good rule, but for this one you're ruling out a lot of the best-loved creatures. Most undead aren't cool because of what they are, they're cool because of what they've become. Ruling out stuff like Vampires and Liches doesn't make for a representative contest, IMO (and it seems like you are, even though you mention those two as a specified exception; 'just giving a sample' is exactly what those two do in their creature entries, and they have the same style as the Necropolitan. I'm honestly not sure how to read your ruling now).

Anyway, I'm going with Ghost. Whether it qualifies for the running or not, I'm just really fond of them. :smallcool:

Zanos
2014-07-28, 01:25 PM
No acquired templates rules out a lot of undead. Like, right around 90% of them, at a guess. For most contests it's a good rule, but for this one you're ruling out a lot of the best-loved creatures. Most undead aren't cool because of what they are, they're cool because of what they've become. Ruling out stuff like Vampires and Liches doesn't make for a representative contest, IMO (and it seems like you are, even though you mention those two as a specified exception; 'just giving a sample' is exactly what those two do in their creature entries, and they have the same style as the Necropolitan. I'm honestly not sure how to read your ruling now).

Anyway, I'm going with Ghost. Whether it qualifies for the running or not, I'm just really fond of them. :smallcool:
Most undead are made from living creatures, but you become that creature and don't retain anything from your previous life. There's a bunch of acquired undead templates, yeah, but it's nowhere near 90%, or even a majority.

Svata
2014-07-28, 01:47 PM
1. Lich
2. Illithilich (technically it's an Alhoon, but Illithilich is so much more fun to say, plus it identiifies what tye creature os more unambiguosly)
3. Dracolich
4. Slaymate
5. (Dread) Wraith

Twilightwyrm
2014-07-28, 03:58 PM
Normally I'd go with the Vampire, Dracolich or the Bleakborn...

But given how integral they have been to so many of my Campaigns, and how little attention they seem to be getting here, my vote will go to the Skeleton, in all its myriad varieties.

Warlocknthewind
2014-07-28, 07:32 PM
No love for the deathknight? That has my vote. Nations flip out when a deathknight is created.

Of course, I replace abyssal blast with 3day power word kill to be more Soth-like...

137beth
2014-07-28, 08:29 PM
My vote goes to the standard Wight, followed by demilich.

Yael
2014-07-29, 01:59 AM
I just updated the Popularity Table, however I wasn't able to find the Deathknight source :/

Also, I uploaded the rules for being counted into the table, remember that this is a thread to share opinions, and if I love an half-orc augmented zombie necropolitan demilich with the saint template (what) it is allowed to be shared even if it is not counted in the table above (was that even posible?)

Thurbane
2014-07-29, 02:13 AM
I just updated the Popularity Table, however I wasn't able to find the Deathknight source :/

Death Knight is a template from Monster Manual II, p207

I think it also appears in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book - not sure how the two compare...

Oko and Qailee
2014-07-29, 02:22 AM
Was going to blurt out "Joystealer" but then realized they were fey.

Man, there are so many undead I kinda want to pick. I'm going to go with dessicators though. (In Libris Mortis)

Raezeman
2014-07-29, 02:26 AM
Skulking Cyst (Libris mortis page 120). Just imagine a group of players in a small town where all inhabitants are infected with the mother cyst and erupting into this cool and disgusting creature… The horror!

Yael
2014-07-29, 02:32 AM
Lichy-lich is getting way too much attention, why no Zombie hype?
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/091/9/0/chibi_zombie_by_tydyshpysh-d6017uf.jpg
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110523013725/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/9/92/Lich_Image.png

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-29, 03:07 AM
Man, there are so many undead I kinda want to pick. I'm going to go with dessicators though. (In Libris Mortis)

I think you could possibly pacify a Dessicator (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84747.jpg) by giving it a Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) as it had a inescapable craving(?) for water.

Dust Wight, MM3. Not as much for its special abilities as for how much I facepalmed after seeing that it was the fourth elemental undead, in addition to the ones in LM. When I only had LM, I was really ticked off that we didn't have an earth undead, but we really did.

Nice find, I wonder why they put the Dust Wight (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82986.jpg) in MMIII instead of LM, I know they were published around the same time.

So many choices. I'm going to go with the Bhut from FF. It's profoundly weird in many ways and has a lot of tricks up its sleeves, but what really wins me over is being based off of the Vetal, making it one of the very few monsters (along with Rakshasas) based off of Hinduism.

I think the Bhut (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50115.jpg) was cool, it looks pretty horrific though as if it was shredded up then reassembled.

I think Bhut in hindi just means ghost though, I can't really remember much about vetals in indian mythology.

Katana1515
2014-07-29, 04:52 AM
Hmmm difficult one, I am gonna throw my lot in for the Vampire Dragon (draconomicon i think??)

Auramis
2014-07-29, 06:12 AM
Hmmm difficult one, I am gonna throw my lot in for the Vampire Dragon (draconomicon i think??)

Draconomicon is right. Pages 195-197. Happened to have the book on my desk.

A Tad Insane
2014-07-29, 11:51 AM
Allips, because it is even less a CR 3 encounter than that damn crab.

Auramis
2014-07-29, 11:59 AM
Allips, because it is even less a CR 3 encounter than that damn crab.

Could you lot imagine that damned crab as a zombie or a vampire?

Eldan
2014-07-29, 12:32 PM
The good old ghost. A classic for a reason.

Sheogoroth
2014-07-29, 12:46 PM
Beholder. Gotta be Beholder.

A huge gigantic eye wreathed in tentacles cresting a huge gaping maw. What could be more terrifying than that? Oh, maybe when it starts firing LASERS at you!

Forrestfire
2014-07-29, 01:33 PM
Wrong type, there :smalltongue:

Leviting
2014-07-29, 01:38 PM
Beholder. Gotta be Beholder.

A huge gigantic eye wreathed in tentacles cresting a huge gaping maw. What could be more terrifying than that? Oh, maybe when it starts firing LASERS at you!

I am pretty sure that Beholders aren't undead...

Zanos
2014-07-29, 02:07 PM
I am pretty sure that Beholders aren't undead...
Not with that attitude!

mr_odd
2014-07-29, 02:22 PM
While my party hasn't gone up against many undead, the dracolich just looks awesome.

Killer Angel
2014-07-29, 02:42 PM
Undead are very fascinating. Or scary.

Vampires, Liches, Dragoliches... those are my favourites.
But if you have to pick just ONE, for a single, memorable apparition? Atropal.

Zombulian
2014-07-29, 03:37 PM
Hullathoin gets my vote. A giant undead mole that has vampiric flies living in it's flesh and giant pus fill pimples that it can explode on enemies. It has an entourage of vampire spawn from killed enemies that it has sicked its flies on, and probably another group of undead that it managed to rebuke with it's 20th effective cleric levels.

Edit: Necromentals are are awesome and get my vote if I get a second one.

Pan151
2014-07-29, 03:53 PM
It's gotta be the Atropal for certain.

As far as setting up the tone before a battle, nothing beats:

"You see a floating humanoid embryo the size of a troll approach you at the speed of an olympic runner. Its flesh is rotten, its face is disfigured and it lacks eyes. It is surrounded by a swirling cloud of pure death along with an army of powerful undead and shoots black lazers out of its empty eye sockets. As it gets closer, you suddenly hear a creepy laughter echo inside your minds, followed by a soft child's voice describing several different ways in which it intends to make use of your corpses.

Roll initiative."

.Zero
2014-07-29, 05:01 PM
Well, i think that the Atropal is just too scary and too cool. I'll go for it.

sideswipe
2014-07-29, 06:24 PM
honestly, i dont think anything beats a good old zombie (though technically a template)

CIDE
2014-07-29, 08:17 PM

"You see a floating humanoid embryo the size of a troll approach you at the speed of an olympic runner. Its flesh is rotten, its face is disfigured and it lacks eyes. It is surrounded by a swirling cloud of pure death along with an army of powerful undead and shoots black lazers out of its empty eye sockets. As it gets closer, you suddenly hear a creepy laughter echo inside your minds, followed by a soft child's voice describing several different ways in which it intends to make use of your corpses.

Roll initiative."

I know these things aren't undead but they really make me think of Atropals...

A very unpleasant visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97GDQOBLk6E

Gildedragon
2014-07-29, 08:17 PM
Mummy gets my vote (late and unpopular, but they are so goshdarned cool)

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-30, 12:28 AM
Hullathoin gets my vote. A giant undead mole that has vampiric flies living in it's flesh and giant pus fill pimples that it can explode on enemies.

I am pretty sure it was a Undead Dinosaur.

3WhiteFox3
2014-07-30, 01:01 AM
Liches are probably my favorite. Though, skeletons, dracoliches and zombies are also awesome.

facelessminion
2014-07-30, 02:12 AM
I suppose my favorite is all the different, delightful flavors of liches.

The Atropal is definitely a close second, though. It's just such a magnificently horrible creature.

Yael
2014-07-30, 04:55 AM

Roll initiative."

Just... Woah, gotta do this, really deally gotta do this!

It is creepy enough for a boss battle :D

Dr. Cliché
2014-07-30, 05:43 AM
Hmm, I think I'd have to go with:

1) Liches - including Dracoliches and Illithiliches. There's just something about these monsters that I really like - and it helps that they usually have great designs. I think the only thing that puzzles me is why Illithiliches don't have phylacteries. :smallconfused:

2) Vampires - I enjoy the flavour, as well as the myriad of abilities they possess. Of course, they also have rather plentiful weaknesses - which knocks them down to second place.

3) Flameskull - If I put this in an adventure, I wonder if I can trick my players into thinking he's a demilich? :smallamused:

Leviting
2014-07-30, 10:34 AM
Just... Woah, gotta do this, really deally gotta do this!

It is creepy enough for a boss battle :D

It's also CR 30...

Yael
2014-07-30, 08:27 PM
It's also CR 30...

It's also perfect for an epic random encounter :3

Marlwyn
2014-07-30, 08:57 PM
I'll throw a vote in for Charnel Hound.

A 20 ft. tall hound-shaped pile of corpses and bodies that sometimes scream, mutter and jerk around. And whats more, when it reduces a target to negative HP, there's a massive Fort save or their body gets integrated into the Charnel Hound. Imagine fighting one of those, and your adventuring buddy goes down. Next thing you know, your friend's body is part of the thing's face, screaming at you. While its now part of the thing trying to eat you. *shudder*

Crinias
2014-07-30, 09:01 PM
Although I love many undead, my vote goes to the simple Vampire. Liches are more iconic, sure, but they don't click with me as much. The Atropal's definitely more memorable for its terrifying concept and power, but for the same reason you'll rarely see one.

Vampires, on the other hand, are very flexible in how you can meet them. They can drive entire adventures as masterminds as well as they can be simple minions, and work with any number of character concepts adequately. Even if not very flashy, they're one of my favorite kinds of undead for those reasons.

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 09:16 PM
Tomb Motes, from Libris Mortis. They get bonus actions. At CR 2. That can get scary.

Skull Lord from MM5. A perfect boss type creature for a 1-7 campaign, with 3 minions specifically linked to it, on top of skeletons. It makes for a good boss fight, since it slowly losses power as the party damages it, but it can also heal itself while dealing damage. I want to run a campaign where the final boss is an advanced Skull Lord, using levels in Warblade.

iceman10058
2014-07-30, 09:24 PM
Boneyard from LM. It even effects other undead!

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-30, 09:39 PM
Gravecrawler is my favorite. Being one of the few non-evil undead really interests me, and they are useful as a knowledge repository.

Pan151
2014-07-31, 02:55 AM
It's also CR 30...

You can still use Atropal Scions, which are CR 11 (Atropals are stillborn progeny of gods. Atropal scions are what happens when a god does not pay enough attention while cutting up veggies - plus they look even scarier (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070602021255/forgottenrealms/images/8/8f/Atropal_Scion_-_Jeremy_Jarvis.jpg), though generally less cool)

Yael
2014-08-01, 02:23 AM
You can still use Atropal Scions, which are CR 11 (Atropals are stillborn progeny of gods. Atropal scions are what happens when a god does not pay enough attention while cutting up veggies - plus they look even scarier (http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070602021255/forgottenrealms/images/8/8f/Atropal_Scion_-_Jeremy_Jarvis.jpg), though generally less cool)

Yeah, even creepier.

Coming up next week's WitPfm!

Which of the following should be added to the pool? (Aside from those that are already in, of course.)

• Monstrous Humanoid Type!
• Ooze Type!

Threadnaught
2014-08-01, 06:43 AM
Ooh this is tricky. I remeember you saying something about Templates not being allowed, so for a Base creature, I'd have to select my 3rd favourite.

1: Necropolitan, because this'll get more average mileage on both sides of the table. Also there's something cool about shouting Aerenal three times followed by Shae Mordai! Ho! To equip a suit of armour.

2: Evolved Undead, because other Types have Monster of Legend and Paragon. Why shouldn't Undead have their own awesome template that makes them more powerful? They're leaders among Undead.

3: Ghoul. Classic zombie apocalypse in a box. If that's too many Ghouls, then a cult of cannibals? With but a single Ghoul, you have a potential BBEG, or some crazed murderer who only comes out at night and always takes a victim's limb as a "trophy", or if you go the redeemed monster route, someone who struggles between sating their hunger and losing their sanity.

Yael
2014-08-01, 07:20 AM
Ooh this is tricky. I remeember you saying something about Templates not being allowed, so for a Base creature, I'd have to select my 3rd favourite.

Basically, I misunderstood my own ruleset, it will get fixed for next week as this thread has gone for too long, don't worry about it, just say your favorites :D

Inevitability
2014-08-01, 08:02 AM
Coming up next week's WitPfm!

Which of the following should be added to the pool? (Aside from those that are already in, of course.)

• Monstrous Humanoid Type!
• Ooze Type!

Oozes! DM's love them, players hate them.

Forrestfire
2014-08-01, 09:23 AM
Oozes, totally :smallbiggrin:

2014-08-01, 09:27 AM
Well, I'm the first vote for Monstrous Humanoids, just because of what they said about them in HoH.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 10:02 AM
Oozes!

Also, kind of sad the Skull Lord doesn't get more love. It's a really interesting monster.

Svata
2014-08-01, 10:21 AM
I vote ooze as well.

Pan151
2014-08-01, 04:58 PM
Yep, Ooze.

Monstrous humanoids are boring...

Threadnaught
2014-08-02, 06:10 AM
this thread has gone for too long

Actually I'd been looking for it all week. I'd literally just found it when I made that post, so I'm glad I didn't miss the week of my favourite Type. :smallbiggrin:

PraxisVetli
2014-08-02, 02:08 PM
Oooooooooooooooozes

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-02, 08:50 PM
I vote for Oozes.

Also, kind of sad the Skull Lord doesn't get more love. It's a really interesting monster.

My question is: how are the extra heads (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM5_Gallery/106333.jpg) connected?

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 08:54 PM
My question is: how are the extra heads (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM5_Gallery/106333.jpg) connected?

Magic.

What? You expect a better answer? It's a walking three headed skeleton that can pull your bones out from 30ft.

Graypairofsocks
2014-08-02, 08:56 PM
So they just float near the main head?

Vhaidara
2014-08-02, 08:58 PM
Not sure. They could be attached with a branching spine. I mean, the multiheaded template is a thing. I mean, they are a specific creature, not just a special skeleton. There are only 12 of them.