PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Pathfinder Campaign into 5e. Made a class for a player (Alchemist).

Jenckes
2014-07-27, 08:01 AM
Here's the thing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bK3A4EuL1gs8vQq23onmR9nhD1dwKfCHH7ay3opthWI/edit

I've got a handful of new players and they are taking a long time to learn the rules and I think DnD Next would be a conducive to turning them in to players that understand what's going on mechanically. They enjoy the role playing and are excited by battles but we're four sessions in and when I ask players to roll for an attack they still ask me what dice. I want to sit down with them and explain the rules (as I have done in the past) but I think a 3.5 system may be a little much for people that aren't willing to sit down and gut a core rule-book.

Anyhow, most of the party is playing a core class so that switch should be pretty simple- but I do have one alchemist. I don't really want make too many changes to her character so I figured I'd make up an alchemist 5th ed class. I was wondering if you guys thought it was sufficiently in line with other DnD Next classes.

My main concerns are keeping things in line with the standards. I don't want a mutagen based alchemist to deal more damage than a fighter, and I don't want a bomb alchemist to deal more ranged explosive damage than a wizard. The spell list is just based off of DnD Basic, so I would expect more spells to be available. I'm also not sure if potions that cause teleport effects should be in there. It would just target you and your gear but as far as I know there's no precedent for that and I'm not sure if I want an Alchemist having access to that sort of thing.

Thoughts, criticism, or grammar Nazism would be appreciated.

Thanks for giving it a look!

DiBastet
2014-08-20, 01:39 PM
I don't mean to thread necro, but since t's not a month old I gotta say, this is pretty nice, specially considering when it was posted. Kudos op.