PDA

View Full Version : How do 5e Wizards play? Wanna be a blaster when I blow... er, GROW up!

wolfstone
2014-07-27, 11:30 AM
I've read the PDF of the basic rules and have read some of the posts here, but want to hear from those who have played 5e wizards (I wasn't in on any play-testing). I'm mostly familiar with 4e, where I play a Tiefling Wizard pyromancer/controller who uses damaging fire (Blaster-style) and status-inflicting spells in combat. Having Pathfinder, I also collected 3.5e D&D books to learn more about wizards and was sad to learn that "Blaster" wizards are only effective in 4e. I was wondering if this was addressed at all in 5e, or if they're back to being controllers via status-inflicting, with 'Blasting" being comparatively weak to a fighter's damage output. Are wizards in 5e meant to be controllers only, or is a blaster wizard still possible from what you all have seen so far?

Tholomyes
2014-07-27, 11:49 AM
Really, blaster wizards aren't even all that effective (comparatively, and taking into account the variance of classes in the system) in 4e, anyway, so if you haven't really noticed it being an issue in 4e, even if it is an issue in 5e, it might not really be noticeable, anyway. From what I've looked through, Blaster Wizards seem better than 3.x/PF blaster wizards, but they still will probably do less damage than Fighters over the course of the full day. However, you also have to note that you have a large toolbox available to you, as the wizard, and due to the fact that a lot of spells scale, you can also spend fewer prepared spell slots on damaging spells, leaving you more to add other spells.

Jeraa
2014-07-27, 11:53 AM
Let me put it this way. Cantrips are now cast at will. Damaging cantrips start at 1d8 or 1d10 damage, and eventrually scale up to 4d8 or 4d10 damage. All damaging spells have had their base damage boosted (Burning Hands, a 1st level spell, now deals 3d6 damage in a 1st level spell slot. You get 3 missiles from Magic Missile, also for a 1st level slot. Fireball starts at 8d6 instead of 5d6.).

Also, many spells like Hold Person and Web require concentration. So you can only have 1 active at a time, and every time the wizard takes damage there is a chance the spell he is concentrating on ends (Constitution save, DC 10 or 1/2 the damage you take, whichever is higher). And the wizards defensive spells (like Stoneskin, Globe of Invulnerability, and Blur) are also concentration spells, so you have to choose between your defensive spells, or crowd control.

wolfstone
2014-07-27, 12:11 PM
What about ways to boost concentration? I know there were ways in the 3s, but not in PF as far as I could tell. Anyone know if 5e will have concentration boosts? I say this because Concentration was a skill in the 3s and could be improved with points as you leveled up, if I remember correctly.

Sartharina
2014-07-27, 12:17 PM
What about ways to boost concentration? I know there were ways in the 3s, but not in PF as far as I could tell. Anyone know if 5e will have concentration boosts? I say this because Concentration was a skill in the 3s and could be improved with points as you leveled up, if I remember correctly.

No ways to boost it yet outside of Proficiency in Concentration and raising Constitution.

Beleriphon
2014-07-27, 12:17 PM

Yep, have more fighters. :smallwink:

As it stands no. The feats in the PH might have some options, one is called Warcaster after all.