PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Fey

2014-07-27, 12:04 PM
I'm making a campaign setting where fey are creatures who have no concern for the lives (both metaphorical and literal) of humans, and basically have the same outlook as the MM3 Glastig. I'm trying to find some more fey (or creatures that can be homebrewed into fey) for this, so any suggestions on suitable ones would be great.

Hazrond
2014-07-27, 12:14 PM
I'm making a campaign setting where fey are creatures who have no concern for the lives (both metaphorical and literal) of humans, and basically have the same outlook as the MM3 Glastig. I'm trying to find some more fey (or creatures that can be homebrewed into fey) for this, so any suggestions on suitable ones would be great.

Well MM5 has the joystealer, incorporeal fey who eats emotions :smallamused:

Edit:or was it 4? I dunno I'm away from books

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-27, 12:22 PM
The Bog Imp and Gray Jester from Heroes of Horror come to mind if you're looking for fey that feed off mortals. A Redcap from MM3 is another good choice. The Unseelie Fey template in Dragon Compendium and Half-Fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) in Fiend Folio can be used to make fey versions of other monsters, or humanoid fey with class levels. Devious Glouras (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) can be fun, or built to teach PCs a lesson (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342828-Damnable-PC-s-need-a-Blackguard-built-that-ll-teach-them-a-lesson!#6).

Socratov
2014-07-27, 12:25 PM
it seems the Kingdom of Amalur books have some awesome fey you can use...

2014-07-27, 12:29 PM
The Bog Imp and Gray Jester from Heroes of Horror come to mind if you're looking for fey that feed off mortals. A Redcap from MM3 is another good choice. The Unseelie Fey template in Dragon Compendium and Half-Fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) in Fiend Folio can be used to make fey versions of other monsters, or humanoid fey with class levels. Devious Glouras (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) can be fun, or built to teach PCs a lesson (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342828-Damnable-PC-s-need-a-Blackguard-built-that-ll-teach-them-a-lesson!#6).

I was looking at the Redcap, but it seemed too hateful for my taste. The same problem comes up with the Bog Imp. I might use the Grey Jester, though. I was looking for fey that treat mortals as playthings and will most likely eat someone they finished dancing with.

Hazrond
2014-07-27, 12:32 PM
I was looking at the Redcap, but it seemed too hateful for my taste. The same problem comes up with the Bog Imp. I might use the Grey Jester, though. I was looking for fey that treat mortals as playthings and will most likely eat someone they finished dancing with.

Dude two words. Joystealer Bard. They have such a huge charisma bonus it's perfect!

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-27, 12:36 PM

Any non-good fey might do that. No one said that dryads were nice, that nymphs were just pretty, or that satyrs can't have a taste for manflesh. Just make it clear that fey in your setting all have "...but mostly EVIL" appended to their alignment entries in the Monster Manual.

Frostwind Virago and Verdant Prince are both known for screwing over mortals. But, really, fey are mainly known for their fickle and unpredictable nature, so even the neutral ones can have their more predatory moments. Just make those moments most moments.

2014-07-27, 12:43 PM
Any non-good fey might do that. No one said that dryads were nice, that nymphs were just pretty, or that satyrs can't have a taste for manflesh. Just make it clear that fey in your setting all have "...but mostly EVIL" appended to their alignment entries in the Monster Manual.

Frostwind Virago and Verdant Prince are both known for screwing over mortals. But, really, fey are mainly known for their fickle and unpredictable nature, so even the neutral ones can have their more predatory moments. Just make those moments most moments.

I knew about the parts with the dryads,etc. but I want some that are specifically designed for this. A dryad has a specific job, and it is a bit different from a kelpie's.

EDIT: I based this off the Glastig, which will kill you and drink your blood but is still chaotic neutral, given the fact that it might not if it doesn't feel like doing that. That's the kind of fey I want.

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-27, 01:02 PM
So fey that can be killers by design, but not necessarily. Well, I'd still probably put nymphs on that list, since they are pretty famous for accidentally handicapping or killing by neglect those smitten by their beauty.

Um. Nereids, maybe. Not in the fluff in the books, but nereids had a behavior set not unlike sirines, which is to say bewitch men and then lure them to a watery death. Or maybe it was just horny sailors diving overboard to get with the water nymphs. Nereids are in Stormwrack. Also, weren't sirines and selkies both in MM2 and Fiend Folio, respectively? Sirines are known in myth for being fairly malicious, though not necessarily murderous. I guess selkies aren't all that murderous either.

What were they called...lunar hunters? They were in MM5, I think. They hunt humans by the light of the moon. Pretty murderous, but maybe too downright evil.

Hehe. I'm playing Exalted right now, which has a fey-like creature type (Raksha, or the Fair Folk), but they all basically a some flavor of insane plus potentially murderous, so I'm rather baffled that there aren't more examples of what you are looking for in D&D.

Shimmerlings, was it? Isn't their touch addictive? That could make them lethal, but I guess they are pretty mindless, so it isn't very malicious.

2014-07-27, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the help, guys, you've given me more than enough to start with in the monsters category, actual campaign problems will come later in the worldbuilding section, if you're interested.

hamishspence
2014-07-27, 03:11 PM
What were they called...lunar hunters? They were in MM5, I think. They hunt humans by the light of the moon. Pretty murderous, but maybe too downright evil.

Shimmerlings, was it? Isn't their touch addictive? That could make them lethal, but I guess they are pretty mindless, so it isn't very malicious.

Lunar Ravagers are from MM4 and are CE. More powerful, and slightly less evil (CN on average)- but with a similar niche - is the Master of the Hunt from MM5.

The Wild Hunter (p49 of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits) is less powerful (CR9) but still pretty formidable, though the example one is evil (NE).

Can't find anything in MM3 that says the touch of a Shimmerling Swarm is addictive.