PDA

View Full Version : Interpetation Question

Fwiffo86
2014-07-27, 12:32 PM
So.. I was reading through the basic rules that came with the starter set and I'm curious if anyone else noticed this particular rule:

If you cast a spell as a bonus action, you can't cast another spell during the same turn except for cantrips with a casting time of 1 action.

I interpret this to mean it will be extremely unlikely (possibly impossible) to blitz cast spells. If this is true, I'm seeing several "Casters win" options fly out the window. Thoughts?

Graustein
2014-07-27, 01:46 PM
Yep, that's the intended use. Along with a harder limit on higher-level spells-per-day, the spell scaling system which means more competition for those coveted high-level spell slots, and the concentration mechanic, the design team has taken steps to reign back general caster dominance.

pwykersotz
2014-07-27, 01:58 PM
Other than creative uses of Time Stop (which is twice per day at most), yeah, that seems to be the case. We probably won't be seeing Celerity in the same incarnation as before.

Envyus
2014-07-27, 06:04 PM
Other than creative uses of Time Stop (which is twice per day at most), yeah, that seems to be the case. We probably won't be seeing Celerity in the same incarnation as before.

Once a day you can only cast one 9th level spell a day.

pwykersotz
2014-07-27, 06:07 PM
Once a day you can only cast one 9th level spell a day.

Ah, I had thought Arcane Recovery was uncapped. My mistake. :smallredface:

akaddk
2014-07-27, 07:04 PM
I interpret this to mean it will be extremely unlikely (possibly impossible) to blitz cast spells. If this is true, I'm seeing several "Casters win" options fly out the window. Thoughts?

Well gosh darn it, now what am I going to do with all this pent up edition rage?

da_chicken
2014-07-27, 08:05 PM
Ah, I had thought Arcane Recovery was uncapped. My mistake. :smallredface:

It is uncapped. You just have to be level 18+. Envyus probably just forgot about Arcane Recovery.

Jeraa
2014-07-27, 08:16 PM
It is uncapped. You just have to be level 18+. Envyus probably just forgot about Arcane Recovery.

No. While the total number of spell slots you can get back is uncapped, there is a cap on the level of the spell slot.

You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Envyus
2014-07-27, 09:09 PM
No. While the total number of spell slots you can get back is uncapped, there is a cap on the level of the spell slot.

Correct I had to make this same correction to someone else. Arcane Recovery is good but it can't get you back your super spells.