PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ending a campaign.

heavyfuel
2014-07-27, 12:40 PM
The players are getting ready for the final showdown against the BBEG; Everyone (including you, the current DM) has made their characters for the next adventure that your friend's been planning out for months; All in all, the campaign is coming to a close.

But how do actually end it?

Just saying "uhhh. so... uhhh... It over guys! Congratulations... I guess?" after the final fight is lame. So what are some better ways to end it?

2014-07-27, 12:48 PM
Well, what is the BBEG trying to do? You could make some dramatic exposition about how player x does action y and causes result z, destroying the BBEG.

Red Fel
2014-07-27, 12:55 PM
The players are getting ready for the final showdown against the BBEG; Everyone (including you, the current DM) has made their characters for the next adventure that your friend's been planning out for months; All in all, the campaign is coming to a close.

Just saying "uhhh. so... uhhh... It over guys! Congratulations... I guess?" after the final fight is lame. So what are some better ways to end it?

Step one, immediate aftermath.

Consider what the BBEG was trying to do, as ... suggests. Was he successful? Partially successful? Total failure? Was he completely killed, or merely disabled? Will he come back? Is he reformed? Did his failure have horrible ramifications, either for the countryside or for him?

Next, the short-term impact. Was the party sent on this quest? If so, by whom? Will there be rewards? A celebration? Rewards? If not, who knew of it? Did they have sidekicks, followers, supporters? Go back and honor those who died to help, and celebrate with those who lived.

Lastly, the long-term epilogue. This is the part where it really pays to have listened to the players talk about their PCs. Did a PC have a dream, a goal, a great ambition? See them achieve it, or at least be along their way. For example, the Wizard finally opens his magical school; the Fighter managed to draw the attention of the legendary Swordmaster, but finds that he no longer wants to be taught the art of war; the Paladin can finally return home to the farm. Give each one a narrative, showing that yes, you listened, and now the character has everything he wanted, or at least everything he deserves.

Did a PC or major supporting character fall in love? A wedding is the perfect way to get all the PCs together after giving each one their happy ending, a chance for them to do one last scene in-character, sharing their thoughts and their stories ("The farm is going great! We just bought two new cows!" "That's wonderful! My church just reached two hundred congregants!" "I found this pretty rock in somebody's pocket!") in a genial atmosphere before fading to black.

heavyfuel
2014-07-27, 01:00 PM
Well, what is the BBEG trying to do? You could make some dramatic exposition about how player x does action y and causes result z, destroying the BBEG.

What I wanted really was a more general answer, but fine, I'll play ball.

In this campaign specifically the BBEG is trying to dominate a land (continent where players live) after his land has become unlivable for story reasons. In the final showdown there will be a massive attack by the allied forces against the "bad guys" distracting them as the players chase the BBEG in an Ancient Ruins to stop him from getting to the mcguffin.

Vorandril
2014-07-27, 01:06 PM
Yoink http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html
And yoink again http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0888.html

Just make it not an illusion. Bring loose story points to a close and just describe what the world looks like in 5 years all thanks to them.

2014-07-27, 01:59 PM
What I wanted really was a more general answer, but fine, I'll play ball.

In this campaign specifically the BBEG is trying to dominate a land (continent where players live) after his land has become unlivable for story reasons. In the final showdown there will be a massive attack by the allied forces against the "bad guys" distracting them as the players chase the BBEG in an Ancient Ruins to stop him from getting to the mcguffin.

Well (this is just an example, the X-Y-Z format I posted can be used for a lot of things), you could say that, for example (don't know if this exactly works, but whatever), they arrive too late, but after a climatic battle, one of the PCs uses the mcguffin to stop the BBEG in a creative and unexpected way. After that, tie up all the subplots and end the story.

Thurbane
2014-07-27, 07:17 PM
There's usually a lot of celebrations and a statue of the Emperor BBEG being toppled over...

Yeah, I've had my share of anti-climactic campaign endings - it seems especially prevalent with pre-written adventures.

cobaltstarfire
2014-07-27, 07:24 PM
Red Fel's idea I like, it's about how one of the last campaigns I was in came to and end.

After a year spent roaming all over the land we finally beat up the current baddies and set things right.

The GM described for us what our characters got up to, how their children did, (one of the PC's actually had a baby during the course of the campaign) how the land and politics changed, what some important locals and their npc's had gotten off to, and how our characters names were remembered.

I think it was quite a nice way to end things, and it's the only campaign I've played all the way through to the ending. It's how I would end a campaign if I were running one too.

Red Fel
2014-07-27, 07:27 PM
There's a truly epic campaign log somewhere in these forums - it's the one where a Cleric burns a whole bunch of slots to cast Bless Water on the rainstorm showering down on the massive zombie army below - which has a truly awesome epilogue. Worth the read.

Truly.

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 07:32 PM
The end of Star Wars EpisodeIV comes to mind. Everyone gets their medals and accolades. Big fanfare.

Thurbane
2014-07-27, 07:56 PM
The end of Star Wars EpisodeIV comes to mind. Everyone gets their medals and accolades. Big fanfare.
Except the wookie. That's some racist **** right there!

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 08:06 PM
Except the wookie. That's some racist **** right there!

Obviously, he's using VoP. He donated the medal to a good cause. Copilots don't need magic items, you see. :smalltongue:

Vorandril
2014-07-27, 08:11 PM
Obviously, he's using VoP. He donated the medal to a good cause. Copilots don't need magic items, you see. :smalltongue:

He's a Cohort. It's up to the PC to gear him out. And Han's a selfish git. Good choice though for pointing out the star wars example.

If you have players who aren't sticks in the mud and you can do it subtly try and bring in some music while you go over what happens. Music can set a mood for a scene AMAZINGLY. Just saiyan.

Red Fel
2014-07-27, 08:12 PM
Seriously, though, every epilogue needs musical accompaniment by John **** Williams. That's how you know you just watched something seriously freaking epic.

That's what you do, you know. Good steak dinner? Olympic Fanfare. Just had an awesome night out? Theme from Superman. Just finished filing your taxes? Indiana Jones.

Just ended an awesome campaign? Star Wars. The ultimate catharsis, baby.

Vorandril
2014-07-27, 10:02 PM
Red Fel: I adore you now. Please, hold me? :smallredface:

DigoDragon
2014-07-28, 07:26 AM
When the PCs first make their characters, I like them to write little backgrounds about their goals in life. That way I have something to work with should they make it to the end. Once the BBEG is slain and the world saved, I start up some free-form RPing with the PCs on what they'd like their characters to do with all the fame/fortune/etc. they've gained.

One of the best endings I've had was from a D&D campaign. The PCs weren't sure what to do with themselves after they won against the big bad. Then the party rogue said he'll start by having a drink at the tavern the party frequented in this one big town. The problem was that the tavern was demolished in one of the final fights. That gave the rogue an idea. "Let's open up a business!" And so they did, they pooled their vast wealth together and bought the busted down tavern they loved. After a little bit of RPing and brainstorming, they had a new tavern, decorated with some of the stuff they collected in their adventurers. The best part was that they set it up to make it convenient for new adventuring parties to network and meet up at the tavern... thus perpetuating the old cliche of "You all meet at the tavern" for future adventurers.

hifidelity2
2014-07-28, 07:48 AM
I had this issue for my long term campaign. What I did was change the world. I was using GURPS and had that as a result of them killing off the BBEG (and the manner they did iT0 it changed the world magic level from normal to very Low. I then played a High Level (as in overlook not player levels) as a summery session of the next 5 yrs or so letting the players mould what their characters would do. I then took copies of all of their character sheers

I recently (due to popular request) re-started it but 40 yrs in the future so with totally new characters. The old Characters are now Major (but old) NPC’s that the characters interact with on occasion.

lytokk
2014-07-28, 08:19 AM
An epilogue is always a great way to go, but don't forget to honor the memories of the characters who died in the final fight. Now, its D&D, and raise dead at the end of a campaign is almost assumed to be the norm, but not always. Sometimes a character dying is the best ending for that character. Specifically if the character went out on his terms in a self sacrifice scenario. Happened to my paladin of Dol Arrah, in the Eberron world where Raise Dead is much less prevalent. My mount stayed on the material plane and over time there was a roaming pack of clawfoots on the Talenta Plains which was much much stronger than the average clawfoot. Unfortunately, the DM messed up my epliogue, saying that my eternal reward for fighting my entire life and going out in a blast that destroyed hundreds of rampaging dragons, was to spend eternity on the plane of war. Not the plane of sunshine and sandy beaches, but the plane of war.

Basically, make sure the epilogues fit the characters and the rewards are justified. A barbarian may want to rage and fight for eternity, but a paladin may want to just retire.

dysprosium
2014-07-28, 08:45 AM
I like all of the suggestions posted and wanted to add a thought of my own.

This of course would depend on your group if the campaign world itself will be continued. Leave openings up for sequels. Or not necessarily sequels but continuations of stories.

Maybe there were certain issues that were never resolved.

Like whatever happened to that NPC that disappeared six adventures ago? A guide who helped the PCs very early on who went missing when the real problems started.
Will the PCs start families? Generational games can be enjoyable. Some players like playing decendants of former characters.
Do they have new responsibilities in the aftermath? Somebody is going to have to clean up that mess . . .
Did their actions oppose another group trying to do something similar? The PCs brought down the BBEG but another group wanted to just disable him to use him for their own means.

But I agree that just saying it's over and congratulations is not enough.

Bronk
2014-07-28, 10:31 AM

It sounds like you're all ready to move on... but have you considered leaving the option open to continue the game later? Maybe throw in a few last minute plot twists, like having the BBEG only be a lieutenant of a larger scheme.

Or at least hint at it. After all, the way you've described it, this BBEG came from this ravaged continent. Was he the only powerful person there? Is there a larger organization, of which this guy was only a part? Maybe they had another plan to escape to the planes or something more far reaching like that?

By hinting that it isn't over without spelling it out, you can have all the accolades you want after the big campaign ending fight while still being able to revisit it later. You can go big with an entirely new campaign, or you can go small for a brief visit... maybe mopping up remnants of the BBEG's organization (before they enact one of his sleeper plans!) and revitalizing their continent so it doesn't happen again.

heavyfuel
2014-07-28, 11:56 AM
It sounds like you're all ready to move on... but have you considered leaving the option open to continue the game later? Maybe throw in a few last minute plot twists, like having the BBEG only be a lieutenant of a larger scheme.

Or at least hint at it. After all, the way you've described it, this BBEG came from this ravaged continent. Was he the only powerful person there? Is there a larger organization, of which this guy was only a part? Maybe they had another plan to escape to the planes or something more far reaching like that?

By hinting that it isn't over without spelling it out, you can have all the accolades you want after the big campaign ending fight while still being able to revisit it later. You can go big with an entirely new campaign, or you can go small for a brief visit... maybe mopping up remnants of the BBEG's organization (before they enact one of his sleeper plans!) and revitalizing their continent so it doesn't happen again.

Nah, I've already threw a fake-BBEG at them once. Doing it again would be forcing it. He isn't the only powerful person there. He came in with an army that kicked the allied armies (plural) butt, so really, this should be the actual final showdown. If they ever want to revisit this world, they can go to other continents and see what they find over there, but this chapter is done.

There's a truly epic campaign log somewhere in these forums - it's the one where a Cleric burns a whole bunch of slots to cast Bless Water on the rainstorm showering down on the massive zombie army below - which has a truly awesome epilogue. Worth the read.

Truly.

I'd love to read it. Does anyone have idea where I can find it since my google-fu has failed me?

That's exactly what came to mind. I still wish there was more to it...

When the PCs first make their characters, I like them to write little backgrounds about their goals in life. That way I have something to work with should they make it to the end. Once the BBEG is slain and the world saved, I start up some free-form RPing with the PCs on what they'd like their characters to do with all the fame/fortune/etc. they've gained.

Unfortunately, only 2 (out of 7) made this. I have plans for them, but that's about it.

I like all of the suggestions posted and wanted to add a thought of my own.

This of course would depend on your group if the campaign world itself will be continued. Leave openings up for sequels. Or not necessarily sequels but continuations of stories.

Maybe there were certain issues that were never resolved.

Like whatever happened to that NPC that disappeared six adventures ago? A guide who helped the PCs very early on who went missing when the real problems started.
Will the PCs start families? Generational games can be enjoyable. Some players like playing decendants of former characters.
Do they have new responsibilities in the aftermath? Somebody is going to have to clean up that mess . . .
Did their actions oppose another group trying to do something similar? The PCs brought down the BBEG but another group wanted to just disable him to use him for their own means.

But I agree that just saying it's over and congratulations is not enough.

They haven't found him yet, maybe if we come back to this world they'll go after him.
Only one player has made effort to this. I'll probably let him.
Giving out new responsibilities is part of the plan, but it doesn't work for everyone (CN character be damned!)
The point, specifically for this campaign at least

This is definitely something to keep in mind for future campaigns.Thanks!

An epilogue is always a great way to go, but don't forget to honor the memories of the characters who died in the final fight. Now, its D&D, and raise dead at the end of a campaign is almost assumed to be the norm, but not always. Sometimes a character dying is the best ending for that character. Specifically if the character went out on his terms in a self sacrifice scenario. Happened to my paladin of Dol Arrah, in the Eberron world where Raise Dead is much less prevalent. My mount stayed on the material plane and over time there was a roaming pack of clawfoots on the Talenta Plains which was much much stronger than the average clawfoot. Unfortunately, the DM messed up my epliogue, saying that my eternal reward for fighting my entire life and going out in a blast that destroyed hundreds of rampaging dragons, was to spend eternity on the plane of war. Not the plane of sunshine and sandy beaches, but the plane of war.

Basically, make sure the epilogues fit the characters and the rewards are justified. A barbarian may want to rage and fight for eternity, but a paladin may want to just retire.

Considering this is an E6 campaign, being killed pretty much is the end for an adventurer. But yeah, giving an epilogue seems the way to go.

heavyfuel
2014-07-28, 11:59 AM
Step one, immediate aftermath.

Consider what the BBEG was trying to do, as ... suggests. Was he successful? Partially successful? Total failure? Was he completely killed, or merely disabled? Will he come back? Is he reformed? Did his failure have horrible ramifications, either for the countryside or for him?

Next, the short-term impact. Was the party sent on this quest? If so, by whom? Will there be rewards? A celebration? Rewards? If not, who knew of it? Did they have sidekicks, followers, supporters? Go back and honor those who died to help, and celebrate with those who lived.

Lastly, the long-term epilogue. This is the part where it really pays to have listened to the players talk about their PCs. Did a PC have a dream, a goal, a great ambition? See them achieve it, or at least be along their way. For example, the Wizard finally opens his magical school; the Fighter managed to draw the attention of the legendary Swordmaster, but finds that he no longer wants to be taught the art of war; the Paladin can finally return home to the farm. Give each one a narrative, showing that yes, you listened, and now the character has everything he wanted, or at least everything he deserves.

Did a PC or major supporting character fall in love? A wedding is the perfect way to get all the PCs together after giving each one their happy ending, a chance for them to do one last scene in-character, sharing their thoughts and their stories ("The farm is going great! We just bought two new cows!" "That's wonderful! My church just reached two hundred congregants!" "I found this pretty rock in somebody's pocket!") in a genial atmosphere before fading to black.

Wow. This is a great summary of what I wanted!

I'll have to elaborate on this to fit the story, but should be easy enough. Thanks man!

Red Fel
2014-07-28, 12:34 PM
I'd love to read it. Does anyone have idea where I can find it since my google-fu has failed me?

Found it. Look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?116836-The-SilverClawShift-Campaign-Archives).

There are actually several campaigns logged here, all worth a read, but the epilogues are particularly golden. One of my personal favorites of all time is several posts down, under the heading "... Need Not Ever End."

Villain-protagonists deserve some love in an epilogue too. (Epilogue-love? Epilove?)

Vorandril
2014-07-28, 01:02 PM
These are mostly story of a game, but the epilogues are pretty good for the characters, even if it's pretty brief.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/25224953/images/1370300919648.png

http://i.imgur.com/CByce.png

Dorian Gray
2014-07-28, 02:16 PM
Kill them. Kill them all.

They defeat the BBEG? His big brother comes along and is exactly the same, and hates the PCs. Everything they have accomplished gets erased, and the new evil dude continues the plan without any setbacks. They are put in prison without any saves. Anything they try to do fails. Finally, they are executed, and the evil plot comes to fruition.

Then, berate them and tell them everything they did wrong through the entire game. The important thing to remember is that you can't let them win, because that would mean you losing.

Brookshw
2014-07-28, 02:34 PM
What did the pc's do? Who did they interact with? How did they change their lives? What do people think of the PCs? Ask them what their future goals might entail. Were there conflicts unresolved? Basically, look for the threads and weave them together with an eye for putting the pc's in the center.

Personally I tend to give a brief overview of the immediate results of the concluding adventure then a longer overview of how the lives that the pcs interacted with changed. Did the pcs start a legend? Talk about how the legend spreads and who it inspired. Was there an organization they sponsored? Talk about the organization expanded and moved in a direction the pcs influenced. Did they leave a villian out there? What did he/she do?

And of course conclude with "war. War never changes".

heavyfuel
2014-07-28, 02:39 PM

They defeat the BBEG? His big brother comes along and is exactly the same, and hates the PCs. Everything they have accomplished gets erased, and the new evil dude continues the plan without any setbacks. They are put in prison without any saves. Anything they try to do fails. Finally, they are executed, and the evil plot comes to fruition.

Then, berate them and tell them everything they did wrong through the entire game. The important thing to remember is that you can't let them win, because that would mean you losing.

I like the way you think.

Dorian Gray
2014-07-28, 02:53 PM
I like the way you think.

I had a bad DM this one time. :smallsigh:

dascarletm
2014-07-28, 04:27 PM

I fully support this idea and suggest you get to writing a suitable ending just like this.