PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Iaijutsu Focus: Does it exist and can my Ninja use it?

AceAwesome96
2014-07-27, 05:03 PM
I heard of this ability called Iaijutsu Focus in gaming (obviously based on the sword technique/style). But I can't seem to locate it within official Pathfinder guides. Looking it up online only seems to have complicated things for me even further.
I wanted to use it to optimize damage with my Sneak Attacks, but I don't know if can get this ability, nor do I know if it even exists. Can my Lv. 3 Ninja use this, and how?

The reason I ask is because my GM likes to have references and/or good logic behind it. He's kind of a Power Gamer as far as playing goes so maybe he'll agree to it if I can back it up somehow. Even if it's not in any of the rulebooks, is there a logical reason or way it can be?

I know it's a lot to ask, but help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 05:04 PM
Iaijutsu is a Kensai (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/kensai?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F ) or Sword Saint (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/samurai/archetypes/paizo---samurai-archetypes/sword-saint?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F) ability. Ironically, the eastern class has the English name, and vice versa.

In 3.0, it was a skill. If he allows backwards compatibility to WotC material, go for it. Oriental Adventures is the book.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-27, 05:12 PM
This is all 3.0/3.5 and not Pathfinder.

The skill is found in the book Oriental Adventures, you can get the details here (http://dndtools.eu/skills/iaijutsu-focus/). It has a few uses, the most notable is whenever you strike a flat-footed target immediately after drawing a melee weapon, you get to make a check to deal additional damage.

That target must be flat-footed, not just flanked or struck by an invisible attacker. There's the Hidden Blade skill trick in CS and the Flick of the Wrist feat in CW which can make them flat-footed for one attack, or if you drop marbles in their square or cast Grease under them and they have less than 5 ranks in the Balance skill they'll be flat-footed until they move off of it.

You need to draw a weapon before each attack to be able to benefit from it on every attack. A cursed sword can be dropped and then reappear in your hand when you try to draw another weapon, or you can use a Gnome Quickrazor from Races of Stone which is automatically sheathed after every attack, or just carry a lot of weapons.

The Iaijutsu Master prestige class also from Oriental Adventures allows you to add your Cha bonus to each die of damage you get from Iaijutsu Focus. So with a IF skill check of 50+ for +9d6 damage, you'll add nine times your Cha bonus to that.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-07-27, 05:13 PM
Just to add a little, Iajutsu Focus is also the name of a feat that uses your Iajutsu skill check in place of another check once per day. It's only a class skill for skill"Any classes and a few classes in OA, but it's worth a feat to make it a class skill.

Shinken
2014-07-27, 05:32 PM
Don't bother with Iaijutsu Focus or Sword Saint - bug Elricaltovilla to expand his bushi multiclass archetype to include Stalker and we'll all the able to play hitokiri battousai :smallcool:

AceAwesome96
2014-07-27, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help, I will use this information from here on. Hopefully my GM will accept this. :smallbiggrin: