PDA

View Full Version : Shade [Template]

TheElfLord
2007-03-03, 01:30 AM
Hey all, I have another template here i'm trying to figure out the CR for, any helpful suggestions will be apreciated. I'm aware there is already a monster or something called a shade, but i'm keeping the name.

Template: Shade
Shades are the reanimated corpses of long dead fighting spell casters. Their eternal rest has been disturbed to provide a potent lieutenant to a powerful evil Cleric or Wizard. Shades often take the role of undead generals, commanding large forces, although they are personally quite powerful.
Creating a Shade:
“Shade” is a template that can be added to a humanoid creature (called the base creature) that meets the following requirements:
The creature must be dead
Base attack bonus +7
Proficient with all martial weapons
Able to cast 3rd level arcane spells
The creature must be an NPC
The character’s type changes to undead. It uses all the character’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Hit Dice: Increase to d12
Speed: Shades naturally hover, with their feet floating from one to five feet off the ground. During their movement, a shade can make any vertical movement change it desires within this range as well as move 20 ft horizontally. Shades are considered to have a speed of fly 20 ft ().
AC: The shade has +3 natural armor, or the base creatures natural armor, whichever is greater
Special Attacks: The shade retains all of the base creature’s special attacks
Spells: The shade can cast any spells it knew while alive.
Special Qualities: The shade retains all the character’s special qualities and those listed below, and gains the undead type.
Turn Resistance (Ex): A shade has +3 turn resistance
Damage Reduction (Su): A shade has damage reduction 12/magic
Immunities (Ex): A shade is immune to electricity and polymorph. When it has over half its hit points, it is also immune to mind affecting attacks. Unlike most undead when a shade has less than half its hit points, it loses its immunity to mind influencing effects.
Saves: Will save +2, otherwise same as the base creature
Abilities: Str +2 and Int +2, but being undead has no constitution score.
Skills:
Feats: Same as the character.
Alignment: any evil
CR: ??? I don’t know how much this should add, please make suggestions.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-03, 02:03 AM
Heh, weird. I was just making an avatar for a Forgotten Realms book I recently read called "Shadowbred". The main character is something in the Forgottem Realm universe called a "shade", which is basically a being made of pure shadowstuff. They constantly emits wisps of shadow from their body and have other abilities involving darkness as well.

Icewalker
2007-03-03, 02:22 AM
So this is similar to the shades from the Inheritance books (Eragon, Eldest)? If it is, I think of them as more powerful than that. If it isn't I'd say LA +1-3, I'm not really sure where. I actually came up with my own idea for shades, involving pact magic (Tome of Magic, first 1/3 of the book), which I think I may write up and post here as well. Making pacts with vestiges too powerful for you.