PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hexcrafter, uncertain toward the build

Alexander leah
2014-07-27, 05:57 PM
Hey all, i'm going to took a Tiefling hexcrafter to my gaming table, but i'm not sure about which one of these variant
Campaign with low gold, 15 PB, manual allowed : Core, APG, UM, UC, no background traits

1- Rime Spell
3- Arcana: arcane accuracy, Hex Arcana- Flight
4- Hex Magus: Slumber
5- Bonus Feat: Blindfight, Combat Expertise
6- Hex Arcana: Evil Eye
7- Moonlight Stalker
3 good hexes, i can damage with shocking grasp, debuff with frostbite, lot of ways to gain concealment (smokestick, darkness spelllike ability, blur)

With bladebound archetype
1- Rime Spell
3- extra Arcana: arcane accuracy (speaked with my gm, i can take extra arcana before actually getting an arcana)
4- Hex Magus: Slumber
5- Bonus Feat: Blindfight, Combat Expertise
6- Hex Arcana: Evil Eye
7- Moonlight Stalker
same as before, minus the flight hex, plus the blackblade, i save some money, i lose some pool points

Also, should i stick with moonlight stalker chain feat? i'm pretty sure i will never get a minor cloak of displacement

Psyren
2014-07-27, 06:42 PM
You can't actually pick any Hexes before 4th level. (Well, you can, but you don't get to count your Magus levels as Witch levels until 4th level when you get Hex Magus, so many of them won't work, including Flight.)

Is retraining allowed? Flight Hex becomes more or less useless once you get Overland Flight.

grarrrg
2014-07-27, 11:47 PM
You can't actually pick any Hexes before 4th level. (Well, you can, but you don't get to count your Magus levels as Witch levels until 4th level when you get Hex Magus, so many of them won't work, including Flight.)

Just got done re-reading the Hexcrafter archetype to see if you were right/wrong and it turns out that...

Hexcrafter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/hexcrafter) really doesn't work as written.

The Hex Magus ability states:

At 4th level, the hexcrafter magus gains access to a small number of witch’s hexes. The hexcrafter magus picks one hex from the witch’s hex class feature. He gains the benefit of or uses that hex as if he were a witch of a level equal to his magus level.
So at 4th he gets 1 free Hex that uses his Magus level as his Witch level.
This part works just fine...but is ONLY works for that one specific Hex.

The next part..

A hexcrafter gains access to the following magus arcana, or may select any witch hex in place of a magus arcana....He cannot select any hex or arcana more than once.
NOWHERE does it state that he uses his Magus level as his Witch level for these Hexes.

So the RAW is borked, the RAI would probably be straight up "Magus = Witch level for Hexes", and so taking a Hex at 3rd level should work just fine.

Alexander leah
2014-07-28, 05:15 AM
yes, retrain is allowed, also we are going with the RAI rules instead of the RAW ones

Psyren
2014-07-28, 07:42 AM
So the RAW is borked, the RAI would probably be straight up "Magus = Witch level for Hexes", and so taking a Hex at 3rd level should work just fine.

Even so, that RAI would still not kick in until 4th level. Given that the ability is called "Hex Magus," RAI would be that that is when you can uses Hexes as a Magus.

grarrrg
2014-07-28, 10:22 AM
Even so, that RAI would still not kick in until 4th level. Given that the ability is called "Hex Magus," RAI would be that that is when you can uses Hexes as a Magus.

Yes, but there is nothing in the preventing them from taking a Hex-Arcana The boys are thirsty in Atlanta... at 3rd, which would imply it would work just fine.
Also, the Hex Magus ability also says "...gains access to a small number of..", where he actually has unrestricted access to ALL Hexes. Unless they were referring to he gets fewer Arcanas/Hexes than a Witch does Hexes...

Anywho, we can at least agree it's poorly worded as heck upon close examination.

Kurald Galain
2014-07-28, 11:45 AM
I'd go with the second; Bladebound is one of the best archetypes in a low-gold campaign.

I'm pretty sure Moonlight Stalker isn't worth it though (especially as Combat Exp is not something a magus would want to use). You could take a feat like Weapon Focus to gain a to-hit bonus all the time, instead of having to spend an action on getting concealment. Furthermore, given that it's only 15 point buy you won't have a lot of pool points, so you're better off spending them on your enchant weapon feature than on arcane accuracy: +1 for three combats per day is better than +2 for three rounds per day.

Flight and Slumber ar excellent. Evil Eye is not, because you don't have Cackle; I'd suggest Misfortune instead. Finally, if you don't have backgrounds, you can't actually use Rime Spell until you're level 4.

HTH!

Alexander leah
2014-07-28, 12:38 PM
I'd go with the second; Bladebound is one of the best archetypes in a low-gold campaign.

I'm pretty sure Moonlight Stalker isn't worth it though (especially as Combat Exp is not something a magus would want to use). You could take a feat like Weapon Focus to gain a to-hit bonus all the time, instead of having to spend an action on getting concealment. Furthermore, given that it's only 15 point buy you won't have a lot of pool points, so you're better off spending them on your enchant weapon feature than on arcane accuracy: +1 for three combats per day is better than +2 for three rounds per day.

Flight and Slumber ar excellent. Evil Eye is not, because you don't have Cackle; I'd suggest Misfortune instead. Finally, if you don't have backgrounds, you can't actually use Rime Spell until you're level 4.

HTH!

1 point for bladebound so, about evil eye vs misfortune, evil eyes does something even on a succesfull save, well with rime spell i could just swap the feats order since i will start at 7

Kurald Galain
2014-07-28, 01:04 PM
about evil eye vs misfortune, evil eyes does something even on a succesfull save

The effect of Evil Eye (save or not) is weak; the effect of Misfortune is much better. Furthermore, Evil Eye is mind-affecting, meaning that large amounts of creatures (e.g. undead) are categorically immune to it, and Misfortune has no such restriction.

Alexander leah
2014-07-28, 04:03 PM
replacing the feat moonlight feat chain, what abot these: weapon focus, craft wondrous item extra arcana