PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Improved Manyshot alteration

PraxisVetli
2014-07-27, 07:10 PM
So, Improved Manyshot allows for additional arrows to be shot.
This seems like a poor idea, because at the point of shooting 5 arrows, you're taking a -20 to hit.
Is it irrational for me to allow the feat to instead change the Manyshot penalty to -2?
Mainly because Archers can't have nice things.

I should note that the player's at this point are epic level.

heavyfuel
2014-07-27, 07:25 PM
Go for it. It's not OP at all.

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 07:30 PM
I would use Arrowsplit instead.

Khedrac
2014-07-28, 06:39 AM
The most overpowered character I have seen played uses Greater Manyshot.
The point being that because the arrows now get individual attack rolls they get individual precision damage (Skirmish in this case, scouts are made for manyshot - and there are quite a few items that boost skirmish damage).

We (and it was a group decision, because we all take turns DMing) had to houserule that he can only apply the precision damage once to each creature per attack, so when he can he splits the arrows between targets.

I have never understood the "archers don't get nice things" argument. In my experience that they do more damage than most other characters (OK except the charging barbarians who don't do anything else). What's more I think part of the reason they do more damage is because they don't have power attack making them trade iterative hits for primary attack damage - fewer penalties on your attack rolls tends to mean more hits. Archers are incredibly vulnerable to losing their shiny bow though (the one with all the damage boosts).

Anyway, in answer to the original question, no I would never reduce the to-hit penalty, Greater Manyshot usually plays as overpowered as it is.