PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shapeshifters rule, fighters drool: A party about being better though changing form.

Snowbluff
2014-07-27, 07:11 PM
I want to make a cool party for kicking tail... with alternate shapes!

Here are the members so far:

Vivisectionist Beastmorph: Completely rule the sneak attack scene. It's like my second home, after synthesist. Focusing on natural attacks.

Synthesist (probably helf): Awesome. I can't decide if this is stronger than Vivisectionist or not. I'll probably focus on two handed attacks, since the Vivisectionist has natural attacks covered.

Alternatively, this could be a gundolon. Add Samaran for Named Bullet and Abundant Ammunition for overkill.

Druid17/Barbarian1/HorizonWalker2: The Hippo/Vital Strike kind. Nice, steady damage. Add in some support spells.

#4: ??? I don't have a 4th class that has this sort of thing as a major feature. Please help. D:

Does anyone have suggestions for a 4th or 5th member?

deuxhero
2014-07-27, 08:24 PM
If DSP stuff is allowed, Metamorphosis, either on an Egoist or Psychic Warrior who takes expanded knowledge is an option. Psywar gets a bunch of other spells that alter its physical form (letting it grow natural attacks) too. The 3 feats it got to support it (Swift Shapeshifter, Improved Metamorphosis and Master of All Forms) add a good deal to it (letting you get more abilities and manifest it as a swift action). Skin of Proteus is a nice item for anyone in the party too.

For just Paizo stuff... Two feats can add shapeshifting to any character, but are only usable at higher levels.

The Rakshasa Bloodline with Greater Eldritch Heritage (requires level 17 and 3 previous feats) can alter self at will and into any shape for indefinite time.

Taking Celestial Obedience for Lymnieris (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Lymnieris) and having 16 HD lets you put a permanent Greater Polymorph on any willing target (only one at a time though). You can put this on a Dawnflower Dervish (if you use how having a patron doesn't make you an absolute monotheist who never "worship"s other allied gods when their portfolio are appropriate, or just mute the fluff requirement for the archetype) and get it at level 12 (use Inspire Greatness for a round. Temporary Hit Die is an odd effect) while a mystery cultist (9/10 casting 3/4 BAB prestige class) picks up up at ECL 13 without cheese.

avr
2014-07-27, 08:26 PM
Witches can get a bunch of transformation spells and use their hexes while under their effects.

Start with Skinsend (note: get a cracked pearly white ioun stone first) and you can gain construct immunities, the ability to bail out of awkward situations and a truly creepy look.

Graduate through the usual transformation spells that a Transformation patron gets to other weird spells like Dust Form or Swarm Skin.

Aside from these take the usual witchy spells. Battlefield control and single target debuffs for the most part.

Teh_das
2014-07-27, 08:36 PM
I'm always a fan of transmutation wizard. Polymorph, alter self, shapechange, awesome.

Psyren
2014-07-27, 08:36 PM
Aside from a psionic member, the obvious one you're missing is a Transmuter (shapechange subschool.) This would give you access to the remaining shapeshifting spells that the other classes lack, e.g. Undead Anatomy IV (gets you incorporeality) or Form of the Dragon.

Alternatively, you can go with Sorcerer instead for the same benefits with a Charisma focus (if your alchemist is intended to be the brains of the operation), and pick up a shapeshift-friendly bloodline like Aberrant, Protean or Nanite.

I would personally go with the Wizard though because there are knowledges that the other three can't cover, and your presence would make the alchemist's acquisition of formulae easier. You would also be able to handle spellcasting duties the others may have more difficulty with like divinations or illusions.

deuxhero
2014-07-27, 08:45 PM
There's also the Sylvan wildblood for a Sorcerer bloodline, letting you Share Spells any polymorph effect onto something that isn't a squishy caster. The only thing worse than an angry bear is a bear is a an angry transforming bear.

There isn't strictly a need to have a charisma guy though, a single trait (either student of philosophy or clever wordplay) lets intelligence focused guys do the social skills thing pretty well

Red Fel
2014-07-27, 08:46 PM
I don't know a lot of PF stuff, but are we including a Kitsune in this little scenario? The Realistic Likeness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/realistic-likeness-kitsune) feat allows you to attempt to assume the shape of a specific humanoid, as opposed to a generic one. The Fast Shifter alternate trait makes the Change Shape racial a move action.

And what about a Rakshasa Bloodline (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/rakshasa-bloodline) Sorcerer? At 15, you get at-will Alter Self, sustainable for as long as you like.

Heck, combine the two - a Kitsune Rakshasa-Blooded Sorcerer. The high Cha will keep your party properly diplomatized, the shapechanging will make sure you get into all of the tough-to-reach spaces and get out intact. It's not combat-shifting, but every party needs a face, right?

Psyren
2014-07-27, 08:48 PM
There isn't strictly a need to have a charisma guy though, a single trait (either student of philosophy or clever wordplay) lets intelligence focused guys do the social skills thing pretty well

Excellent! All the more reason to have a wizard then.

deuxhero
2014-07-27, 09:11 PM
I just checked, the Animal Ally feat gives you an animal companion as if you were a druid (which means it has share spells) for the cost of that feat, the +2/+2 feat it requires and probably Boon Companion so it's equal to your level instead of -3. Grabbing the 3 feats and a Headband of vast intelligence +2 (with Linguistics skill attached) (and maybe Handle Animal ranks if the GM uses that PFS ruling that int 3/4 animals that know a language still need to be taught tricks) as a Wizard (or anyone who gets their shape changing via spells) is neat.

Snowbluff
2014-07-28, 01:09 PM
Hm... those are definitely some options. I'll have to look into this a bit more. Thanks, guys!

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-28, 04:48 PM
I played a Kitsune Bard that was specifically designed to use Realistic Likeness and various spells to infiltrate enemies. The only difficulty is that the wording of the feat isn't very specific so it is open to GM interpretation. For instance, I had to use other spells to change my size to Large or Small but I didn't find that to be too much of an issue.

I was able to pull off quite a bit of scouting and set up some distractions. The best trick I pulled off though involved shape shifting to resemble a random enemy mook we had killed in a previous session in order to approach a large group of the same race. I delivered a package that happened to be filled with timed explosives, then high tailed it away. We wound up blowing up an entire encounter that the GM had expected to be a challenge. I earned a Hero Point for that one =).

Snowbluff
2014-07-28, 05:50 PM
Nice.

Right now, I feel like I should be doing something with Medusa's Wrath (subverting the requirements, ofc) and/or hexcrafter magus. Kitsune, eh?

Medusa's wrath could easily be tacked onto the end of the vivsectionist, I guess. His attacks would all become secondary, though... unless... Nope. Monk's Unarmed are always manufactured weapons.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-28, 06:43 PM
Nice.

Right now, I feel like I should be doing something with Medusa's Wrath (subverting the requirements, ofc) and/or hexcrafter magus. Kitsune, eh?

Medusa's wrath could easily be tacked onto the end of the vivsectionist, I guess. His attacks would all become secondary, though... unless... Nope. Monk's Unarmed are always manufactured weapons.

Does it work with Natural Attacks? Kitsune get that Bite Attack, which would count as a secondary natural attack. Still probably best with a Vivisectionist using Natural Attacks though. Stacking on tons of Natural Attacks with the chance at extra Sneak Attack damage would let you shred through many enemies.

Snowbluff
2014-07-28, 07:31 PM
It's part of a full attack action against a weak opponent (Flat Footed counts), so Greater Invisibility and SA would synergize nicely. You would get your BAB attacks + 2, which could be quite a few hits. The only down side is that you take a -5 to your attacks, and you would lose 50% of your str to damage. Overall, it's probably a damage increase.

A Synthesist Summoner can have the most attacks very easily, but I would need a good source of bonus damage if I were to do that. Rack up extra weapons, Medusa's Wrath (kick someone), and 7 natural attacks.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-29, 09:16 AM
I was trying to think of some other options to include. What about a Bloodrager? While a lot more restricted, they go through some shape shifting while raged. And if they get any Polymorph spells on their custom spell list then you've got some more options too. Not a ton of Natural attack options, but some pretty unique ones.

Snowbluff
2014-07-29, 09:24 AM
Nah, I think bloodragers are icky (not in the awesome way), and they are members of the "fighters drool" club.

I was looking for a major benefit of being a shapeshifter for the kitsune. So a fox dude can pounce regardless of their class. How about an enchanter sorcerer going into Eldritch Knight or some other gish PrC?

Beowulf DW
2014-07-29, 10:41 AM
I imagine that you could get some mileage out of Sorcadin/Dragon Disciple. It at least fits the theme of shapeshifting even if the actual powers only come on line later on.