PDA

View Full Version : Animated Shrubbery

torrasque666
2014-07-28, 02:07 AM
So I have a player in one of my games that we're making some jokey builds for(as noted in my Archivist/Juggernaut thread) who wants to play a shrubbery. I suppose a better term would be either Shrub or Topiary. Its currently being run through as an Incarnate Animated Object. Is a plant a valid target for Animate Object? Or would it have to be Awakened as a tree instead?

Flickerdart
2014-07-28, 02:15 AM
RAW, a shrubbery cannot be Awakened, as it is not a tree. Furthermore, while it is a valid target for Animate Objects, an animated object is explicitly not a valid target for Incarnate Construct.

The best way would be to use the Psionic Sandwich Trick to inhabit a shrubbery. You won't have much in the way of motion, but you can aways Metamorphosis into a Topiary Guardian and wreck unsuspecting pasers-by.

torrasque666
2014-07-28, 02:19 AM
Even if Animate Objects was Permenancied, it is still an invalid target?

Flickerdart
2014-07-28, 02:20 AM
Even if Animate Objects was Permenancied, it is still an invalid target?
Animated objects are explicitly mentioned as being an illegal target, permanency or no. On top of that, the target of Incarnate Construct needs to be shaped like a humanoid, which a shrubbery usually isn't...and after being Incarnated, it doesn't look much like the original creature, certainly not with leaves or anything.

torrasque666
2014-07-28, 02:29 AM
It says "The spell does not work on constructs that are only constructs temporarily (such as objects affected by an animate objects spell)." though. This implies that a Permenancied Animate Objects spell, as it would create a permanent construct, would be valid.

jiriku
2014-07-28, 02:34 AM
You might also consider the woodling template, which would make him a sort of man-shrub-thing.

Flickerdart
2014-07-28, 02:38 AM
It says "The spell does not work on constructs that are only constructs temporarily (such as objects affected by an animate objects spell)." though. This implies that a Permenancied Animate Objects spell, as it would create a permanent construct, would be valid.
Permanency is still temporary - it can be dispelled, and turns off inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Hazrond
2014-07-28, 02:41 AM
There is a template in MM3 called Topiary Guardian, its pretty much exactly what you are looking for :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2014-07-28, 02:44 AM
There is a template in MM3 called Topiary Guardian, its pretty much exactly what you are looking for :smallbiggrin:
Given that Topiary Guardians are unintelligent and have no listed LA, that's not at all the case.

Hazrond
2014-07-28, 02:52 AM
Given that Topiary Guardians are unintelligent and have no listed LA, that's not at all the case.

concept wise its a perfect fit, as for listed LA if i remember correctly on templates that meant they have LA 0? also intelligence could be worked on (from what ive read the DM seems to be open to a bit of wackiness, maybe they will let you just roll for it normal and call it a day?)

Pan151
2014-07-28, 03:02 AM
No listed LA generally means LA-. Especially in the case of unintelligent creatures, they are always LA-.

torrasque666
2014-07-28, 03:02 AM
Its less that the DM is open to the wackiness, its more that the players(myself and others) want a change in pace after the whole "go kill a god" bit.

And we're still trying to do this as RAW as we can. While we are allowed one instance of homebrew, it burns out another choice.(We have two books and a singular pick from any book or homebrew, as well as a common selection for everybody[ToB, Core, PHB2, and all Ebberon books])

Flickerdart
2014-07-28, 03:11 AM
concept wise its a perfect fit
"A shrubbery" is very far removed from "an animal that just happens to be made of leaves and stuff."

Hazrond
2014-07-28, 03:31 AM
"A shrubbery" is very far removed from "an animal that just happens to be made of leaves and stuff."

might i point out that the OP was asking for a way to make a topiary character, i simply gave him the closest thing to my knowledge (other than possibly woodling)

Hazrond
2014-07-28, 03:33 AM
No listed LA generally means LA-. Especially in the case of unintelligent creatures, they are always LA-.

For creatures yes but i remember reading somewhere that because of different wording, unless a template has a LA:- line then it defaults to whatever the base creature had, maybe i was wrong but that was the preconception i had

Hazrond
2014-07-28, 03:34 AM
Its less that the DM is open to the wackiness, its more that the players(myself and others) want a change in pace after the whole "go kill a god" bit.

And we're still trying to do this as RAW as we can. While we are allowed one instance of homebrew, it burns out another choice.(We have two books and a singular pick from any book or homebrew, as well as a common selection for everybody[ToB, Core, PHB2, and all Ebberon books])

Might i suggest you go look up the homebrew class called the Bonus Feat :smallbiggrin:

Pan151
2014-07-28, 05:26 AM
For creatures yes but i remember reading somewhere that because of different wording, unless a template has a LA:- line then it defaults to whatever the base creature had, maybe i was wrong but that was the preconception i had

It's pretty vague either way,seeing that several books ignore LA altogether, even for creatures explicitely meant for player characters.

However, any template that changes intelligence to - is obviously LA -.

ShurikVch
2014-07-28, 06:24 AM
Permanency is still temporary - it can be dispelled, and turns off inside an Anti-Magic Field. What about the Minor Servitor (http://dndtools.eu/spells/savage-species--47/minor-servitor--3237/), which was cast via Supernatural spell by the high-level Dweomerkeeper with Initiate of Mystra (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/initiate-mystra--3776/)?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-28, 06:56 AM
Shambling Mounds have a listed LA of +6 and could-be-worse stats.

You could also hypothetically use Wood Shape, Plant Growth and so on on a normal tree before awakening it. It's still a tree, it's just a really hairy one.

The Woodling template from MM3 makes a very shrubby sort of creature. Apply that to your choice of Anthropomorphic Animal from Savage Species, and job done.

Vaz
2014-07-28, 07:09 AM

Unless it's a Template, in which case no listed LA means no change from the LA of the base creature.

The Woodling template allows you to gain the benefits of your original type, but also the traits of plant type to benefit from it's immunities etc. This is a double -edge sword - it's +3LA, and doesn't prevent you from being targeted by Hold Person, but allows you to benefit from Enlarge Person etc still. You also lose out on Saves, BAB, etc.

There are several Plant-playable characters in game - Volodni and Needlefolk, IIRC, maybe twigblights. Volodni are the best, I believe, especially with LA buy off.

Dalebert
2014-07-28, 07:28 AM
What about a bonsai? Aren't they technically really small trees?

Bronk
2014-07-28, 07:32 AM
So I have a player in one of my games that we're making some jokey builds for(as noted in my Archivist/Juggernaut thread) who wants to play a shrubbery. I suppose a better term would be either Shrub or Topiary. Its currently being run through as an Incarnate Animated Object. Is a plant a valid target for Animate Object? Or would it have to be Awakened as a tree instead?

I think you'd have better luck with awakening a shrub-like tree.

If you make it a bonsai tree, or a young tree, you could play a medium sized plant, and you could turn it into a topiary (a non magical one) to get the shape you want, perhaps humanoid shape so that you have all your magic item slots. Then you could cast the awaken spell, maximized and empowered if possible to get nice mental stats along with the two construct HD.

The only problem is a lack of listed LA, but if you get one instance of 'homebrew', that would be it.

Dalebert
2014-07-28, 07:38 AM
If you make it a bonsai tree...

He's actually not stealing my idea. You'll notice we were posting right about the same time. We share a telepathic link. Last night we even shared a dream. No, not THAT kind of dream, you perverts!

Anyway, the cool thing about playing a bonsai is you'd have your catch phrase for charging all laid out for you!

Bronk
2014-07-28, 08:19 AM
Hah! Awesome.

Anyway, the cool thing about playing a bonsai is you'd have your catch phrase for charging all laid out for you!

Double awesome!