PDA

View Full Version : Character Plan

Reinboom
2007-03-03, 06:06 AM
Could I get help with a character idea that requires a bit of specific customization?

What I want, specifically, is a Good aligned evil subtype outsider (fiend of some sort), that is wanting to take monk then start taking Fiend of Corruption. The fiend of corruption modified so that everything about the fiend of corruption is changed from evil to good (bring out the good in evil person drill). This I had already some what worked out with my DM.
My idea for a character background, and the story placement the character will most likely be taking as well as making her not overpowered while still being able to perform what she's intended for is my issue.
The evil outsider I take the race from needs to be of an ECL low enough to end monster/race levels by level 6ish, preferably earlier. Needs to not-be-hideous, preferably "beautiful". I want the race to be something that if she tried really really hard she could come off as just an 'attractive human'. Whatever wings this race has will be cut off from the character - scars obvious on a bare back.
I can't seam to find a fiend (checked monster manual 1, and fiend folio, as well as various campaign settings) that fits this profile. Succubus (of course) comes the most close, however, with an ECL of 12 that just can't happen.

May I get help with this? Or other opinions.

Aside, I am not doing generic 'automagically' redeemed character idea, I want to play this character mainly for role-playing out the outsider thing.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-03, 12:39 PM
The difficulty, I think, is that most of the interesting fiends are high ECL. What may be a better option to fit both the role play and rules requirements of the concept is to use the half-fiend template. You could even modify it a bit to include succubus-like abilities in place of some of the standard ones, to create a half-succubus template.

Trade out smite good for a lesser version of the succubus drain, and change up the spell-like abilities to ones more in tune with seduction - for example, trade darkness 3/day for charm person 3/day. Lastly a switch in the stat modifiers to +2 Int and +4 Cha would help. I'll monkey around with it a bit more and post a full version.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-03, 09:34 PM
I've done up a half-succubus template. The deadly kiss ability may be a bit too weak; I'll have to look at it further. I'm pretty happy with the spell-like ability list, which now focuses more on manipulation than the sort of general evil and darkness of the original list.

[hr]
Half-Succubus
The half-succubus is a modification of the half-fiend template. Save for those changes listed below, the template modifies the base creatures as normal.

Deadly Kiss (Su)
Once per day, a half-succubus can drain energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the succubus must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The half-succubus’s kiss deals 1d4 points of Constitution damage on a failed Fortitude save against DC 10 + the half-succubus' Charisma modifier. This replaces the smite good ability granted by the half-fiend template.

Spell-Like Abilities
A half-succubus with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has spell-like abilities depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based. This replaces the normal spell-like abilities granted by the half-fiend template.
{table=head]HD|Abilities
1-3|Suggestion 3/day
3-4|Enthrall
5-6|Charm monster 3/day
7-8|Tongues 3/day
9-10|Bestow curse
11-12|Blasphemy
13-14|Grater command, unholy aura 3/day
15-16|Mass charm monster
17-18|Energy drain
19-20|Dominate monster[/table]

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +2, Cha +4. This replaces the normal ability score modifications of the half-fiend template.

Solaris
2007-03-03, 09:51 PM
Wizards had something of the sort put up. It was pretty similar to what Gor has, but the half-succubus lacked a bite attack, had a +2 natural armor bonus instead of +1, and the ability modifiers were +2 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Int, +8 Cha. My suggestion is to get some sort of alter self ability in there to help cover them horns.
. . . Of course, you could just take something with a low ECL (drow, for example), apply the fiendish template, rearrange the appearance and fluff to make it not glaringly obvious you just put the fiendish template on the critter, and call it a day.

Gorbash Kazdar
2007-03-03, 10:01 PM
Wizards had something of the sort put up. It was pretty similar to what Gor has, but the half-succubus lacked a bite attack, had a +2 natural armor bonus instead of +1, and the ability modifiers were +2 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Int, +8 Cha. My suggestion is to get some sort of alter self ability in there to help cover them horns.
. . . Of course, you could just take something with a low ECL (drow, for example), apply the fiendish template, rearrange the appearance and fluff to make it not glaringly obvious you just put the fiendish template on the critter, and call it a day.
True, but that would be easy, and no true homebrewer changes fluff when you can re-write multiple salient features! :smallwink:

Also, here are the articles for Wizard's alternate half-fiends (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630x&page=1).

Reinboom
2007-03-04, 04:59 AM
Ok, I've been working at this a bit and also modifying the half fiend template.
I'm trying to make this character good, so, many aspects of the succubus at heart are -evil- and most will be disabled.
The most evil thing of the succubus to me? The kiss. From then, blasphemy, energy drain, domination (any), unholy aura (of course).
Also, the wings of this character are going to be removed, leaving a scar.
To fit the race within 3 levels, I've started studying Fey'ri, a demon-esque ECL 3 race, the half-fiend as suggested, multiple ECL 5 monsters and of course succubus some more. Also, I do not want alter self, I wish to play this character for many roleplay reasons that an alter self would just shoot down.

Comparing different aspects, +14 seams to be the good average bonus to stats for ECL +5 (to get me a character class by 6).

+2 dex +2 int +2 con +8 cha

Suggestion 3/day
Charm Person 3/day

Hmmn, I'm not entirely enjoying your list idea but of course it will be my character. I'm also fickle, so who knows.
Thank you thus far.

Icewalker
2007-03-05, 02:56 AM
If you want to deal with the 'fiend who is good' issue, check out This thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36247) which is a spell a guy made, Realignment, which allows outsiders to change alignment and reform into effectively good versions of themselves. Check out the thread, there actually is a succubus-turned-good example there, they called it a Virtue. You can probably work this spell into the formation of your character, to help get past the otherwise impassable alignment barrier.

Reinboom
2007-03-05, 03:30 AM
Thank you for the pointer. Using this route, I just need to (re) create a 'beautiful' fiend into an ECL +5, and then convert it to good.
That should be a bit easier to do than just going with it all at once.

Ranis
2007-03-05, 09:14 AM
You don't need to mess with any of that "making a template" nonsense. Just crack your MM open to the Planetouched section, and look at Tieflings. It sounds right up your alley, especially with the racial bonuses.

And it's only ECL+1.

Reinboom
2007-03-05, 02:53 PM
Although it's (Tiefling) an outsider, it is not naturally evil, a requirement for the fiend of corruption.
As In, I'm designing an overtly complicated character.