2014-07-28, 09:56 AM
http://www.d20monkey.com/2014/07/28/the-bard/

I give you, the Bard preview!

Callin
2014-07-28, 10:00 AM
Looks good and it looks fun.

Lokiare
2014-07-28, 10:06 AM
Not much of a preview. Full spell progression and the names of the class features they get. Not much help without the crunch or the spell list. Another wait and see how broken it is moment.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 10:18 AM
Not much of a preview. Full spell progression and the names of the class features they get. Not much help without the crunch or the spell list. Another wait and see how broken it is moment.

*rolls eyes*

No crap that they didn't give you the crunch, in any of the previews have they given us crunch?

Broken or not, it looks fun so far and the background art is great for the generic bard class.

Person_Man
2014-07-28, 10:19 AM
Like the Warlock, the artwork has a very goth feeling to it. Black guitar, black/purple/blue cloths, leather, fingerless gloves, white hair, pale skin. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

It's interesting that the Proficiencies specifically include 3 instruments. So I guess Dance and Oratory and Comedy/Jester are no longer valid Bardic Performance options?

9th level spells? So the Bard might be Tier 1-2, depending on its casting mechanic and spell list.

It's odd that the Sorcerer, Bard, and Warlock are all Charisma based arcane spellcasters with very similar spell lists. Seems like a lot of overlap.

It looks like a lot of the mid-higher level class levels are dead or dead-ish, in that you don't gain anything, or you gain a slight increase in an existing class ability. (Bardic Inspiration or Song of Rest die increases, additional Expertise, additional Magical Secrets). But that actually makes sense for a 9th level caster.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 10:28 AM
Like the Warlock, the artwork has a very goth feeling to it. Black guitar, black/purple/blue cloths, leather, fingerless gloves, white hair, pale skin. That's not a criticism, just an observation.

It's interesting that the Proficiencies specifically include 3 instruments. So I guess Dance and Oratory and Comedy/Jester are no longer valid Bardic Performance options?

9th level spells? So the Bard might be Tier 1-2, depending on its casting mechanic and spell list.

It's odd that the Sorcerer, Bard, and Warlock are all Charisma based arcane spellcasters with very similar spell lists. Seems like a lot of overlap.

It looks like a lot of the mid-higher level class levels are dead or dead-ish, in that you don't gain anything, or you gain a slight increase in an existing class ability. (Bardic Inspiration or Song of Rest die increases, additional Expertise, additional Magical Secrets). But that actually makes sense for a 9th level caster.

Well hopefully there will be an option for a Con based Warlock... It wasn't really broken in 4e, should do fine in 5e :smallbiggrin:.

Envyus
2014-07-28, 12:22 PM

Bard has their own spell list separate from the Warlock and Sorcerer.

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-28, 12:22 PM
Wow, bard looks bananas! A full caster that plays like a sorcerer, except with great proficiencies and a ton of class features. Looks as powerful as any other caster, maybe more.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 12:30 PM
I like that the art for the bad allows it to be bard-ish and flashy but not a "kill me" sign.

This bard looks like they will be sneaking around a lot, but in public will still scream BARD.

Also does anyone else feel the need to make El Kabong in 5e now?

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-28, 12:37 PM
Stuff I also noticed:

Bards get Thunderwave as a 1st level spell (wizard cantrip)
Bards get healing word as a 1st level spell. This signals they'll be competent healers, but I don't know if they get Cure Wounds or not.
Bards get "vicious mockery" as a cantrip. No idea what this does, but I want it.
Skills: Choose ANY THREE. Awesome.

To the person above complaining about them not having comedy / drama / acrobatics as valid bardic inspiration, I don't think that will necessarily be the case. Just be proficient in performance, and say you're doing the non-instrument performance of your choice. We'll know more when we read the actual bardic music descriptions.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 12:50 PM
Stuff I also noticed:

Bards get Thunderwave as a 1st level spell (wizard cantrip)
Bards get healing word as a 1st level spell. This signals they'll be competent healers, but I don't know if they get Cure Wounds or not.
Bards get "vicious mockery" as a cantrip. No idea what this does, but I want it.
Skills: Choose ANY THREE. Awesome.

To the person above complaining about them not having comedy / drama / acrobatics as valid bardic inspiration, I don't think that will necessarily be the case. Just be proficient in performance, and say you're doing the non-instrument performance of your choice. We'll know more when we read the actual bardic music descriptions.

Last I saw, thunderwave is a 1st level spell for wizards.

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-28, 12:51 PM
Oh, my mistake.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 12:54 PM
Oh, my mistake.

Pshaw, no problem.

I just didn't want some pesky player playing a wizard and trying to get away with the "cantrip" thunderwave :smallbiggrin:

rlc
2014-07-28, 12:57 PM

i was thinking honky tonk man

Human Paragon 3
2014-07-28, 01:07 PM
But yeah, 9th level casting and any 3 skills, good weapon proficiencies and a long list of class features. This easily competes for strongest class.

Person_Man
2014-07-28, 01:09 PM
Bard has their own spell list separate from the Warlock and Sorcerer.

Is it a unique list of Bard-ish things, or is it just a Venn Diagram/subset of the Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric List?

If the answer is "Most Bard spells are unique to Bards" then that's awesome. I was hoping that every class would have its own unique things for the vast bulk of their abilities.

rlc
2014-07-28, 01:09 PM
we will pretty much just have to wait and see

Yuki Akuma
2014-07-28, 01:14 PM

Vicious Mockery was a 4e attack power that dealt psychic damage due to the sheer sickness of your burns.

No idea what it'll do in 5e but I sure hope it deals damage from telling yo' mamma jokes.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 01:15 PM
But yeah, 9th level casting and any 3 skills, good weapon proficiencies and a long list of class features. This easily competes for strongest class.

Compared to non-casters? Yes. However I'm not sure if it is in league with Druid-Cleric-Wizard yet.

da_chicken
2014-07-28, 01:27 PM
Is it a unique list of Bard-ish things, or is it just a Venn Diagram/subset of the Wizard/Sorcerer/Cleric List?

If the answer is "Most Bard spells are unique to Bards" then that's awesome. I was hoping that every class would have its own unique things for the vast bulk of their abilities.

I would expect it to be mostly Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment, and a few Evocation (for healing and thunder spells). If rumor is correct, Magical Secrets (levels 10, 14, and 18) allow the Bard to add spells to their spells known list from other classes. Note that this is reinforced by the Spells Known incrementing by 2 at those levels.

I do agree that Warlock, Wizard, and Bard together really put a squeeze on the domain of the Sorcerer. I can see why they tried to make Sorcerer and Wizard the same class.

Balyano
2014-07-28, 01:32 PM
Just noticed from the look of it if you spend your spells known on 9th level spells when you can the sorcerer gets 1 at 17th level, the warlock gets 1 at 17th and 1 at 19th, and the bard gets 1 at 17 and 2 at 18th level.

So the sorcerer knows 1 9th level spell, the warlock knows 2, the bard knows 3.

I'm going to assume there will be ways to learn more spells, maybe that feat at 19th level, or maybe the sorcerous origins might come packing a few. Or maybe not and each sorcerer will only get one big 9th level boom in their inventory.

Lokiare
2014-07-28, 01:33 PM
Depending on what their spell list looks like they could topple the Wizard as the most broken class in 5E.

CyberThread
2014-07-28, 02:05 PM
Wah wah the bard sucks past editions. .

If they think giving it 9th level casting fixes it. I can't wait to see what they did for the monk and paladin.

Noldo
2014-07-28, 02:11 PM
Just noticed from the look of it if you spend your spells known on 9th level spells when you can the sorcerer gets 1 at 17th level, the warlock gets 1 at 17th and 1 at 19th, and the bard gets 1 at 17 and 2 at 18th level.

So the sorcerer knows 1 9th level spell, the warlock knows 2, the bard knows 3.

I'm going to assume there will be ways to learn more spells, maybe that feat at 19th level, or maybe the sorcerous origins might come packing a few. Or maybe not and each sorcerer will only get one big 9th level boom in their inventory.

I would not be surprised if sorcerous origins would automatically grant sorcerers some known spells. I might be wrong though.

In respect of Bard, I assume that their Magical Secrets -ability, which presumptly is granting them an additional spell known at 18th level would be limited to spell one lever lower than highest you can cast (as has historically been the case with such abilities).

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 02:18 PM

If they think giving it 9th level casting fixes it. I can't wait to see what they did for the monk and paladin.

The answer so far seems to be "hey if it is weak, let's just give it spells and call it a day".

Tvtyrant
2014-07-28, 02:24 PM
I like it. Seems like they saw how many people used the Sublime Chord from 3.5 and simply made it part of the base class, which is awesome.

22 spells known seems pretty fair. A Wizard can ready 27 a day at level 20 out of a pool of 40, and they are devoted casters without much else going on except their ritual ability.

Lord Raziere
2014-07-28, 02:26 PM
hm, thunderwave. I am hoping this means we get a blaster-bard in the PHB. NONE CAN WITHSTAND THE POWER OF ROCK.

and oooh yes, Vicious Mockery. if it DOESN'T deal damage, I'll be sorely disappointed. but I have a feeling I won't, cantrips can deal damage in 5e....

Merc_Kilsek
2014-07-28, 04:05 PM
hm, thunderwave. I am hoping this means we get a blaster-bard in the PHB. NONE CAN WITHSTAND THE POWER OF ROCK.

and oooh yes, Vicious Mockery. if it DOESN'T deal damage, I'll be sorely disappointed. but I have a feeling I won't, cantrips can deal damage in 5e....

This could change in the final print but last I saw it was: Wisdom saving throw (avoids damage/effect) otherwise 1d4 psychic (increases as you level up of course) and disadvantage on the next attack roll. Disadvantage only last for a round iirc thou.

Sartharina
2014-07-28, 04:55 PM

9th level spells? So the Bard might be Tier 1-2, depending on its casting mechanic and spell list.Well, Tier 3 is the new Tier 1, so maybe.

It looks like a lot of the mid-higher level class levels are dead or dead-ish, in that you don't gain anything, or you gain a slight increase in an existing class ability. (Bardic Inspiration or Song of Rest die increases, additional Expertise, additional Magical Secrets). But that actually makes sense for a 9th level caster.Where are you getting "Very similar spell lists" from?

As for performance options - In the Basic Rules, Performance is its own skill (That probably covers all other types of performance). So, a Bard untrained in the Performance skill is still able to play instruments.

da_chicken
2014-07-28, 05:24 PM
Where are you getting "Very similar spell lists" from?

Playtest mostly, but also game history. AFAIK, Sorcerer, Wizard, and Warlock use the same spell lists. Bard is almost always based on the Sor/Wiz list with the blasting spells ripped off it it. Although looking at the last playtest it was more a combination of Wizard and Druid lists (makes sense given the 1e Bard). I don't expect to see more than 1-2 Bard exclusive spells per spell level, even with their expanded casting. Either way, the Bard and Sor/Wiz/War likely have a lot of overlap in spells. They did in 2e and 3e, and that's a pretty accurate bar in 5e, generrally.

So, there are four arcane classes: Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard.

Wiz/Sor/War use the same spell list.
Sor/Bard/War are Cha-based.
Sor/Bard/War use limited Spells Known.
Wiz/Sor/Bard use the same spells per day.

Wizard is Int-based and uses a Spellbook.
Warlock get Invocations and doesn't get full spellcasting progression.
Bard gets a custom spell list and musical abilities and weapon and armor proficiencies.

So... what does the Sorcerer do that's unique? Sorcery is going to have to be very flavorful and reasonably powerful, because beyond that the class doesn't do anything that other classes don't do. I'm glad Sorcerer is there because people would bitch incessantly if it wasn't, but I don't see that it brings a whole lot that's unique to the game.

Lord Raziere
2014-07-28, 05:43 PM
well it sounds like we'll be getting those Sorcerer bloodlines we got from 4e...so....theres that. they said making sure we get stuff from all editions, so....probably getting that wild and dragon magic stuff again...

MeeposFire
2014-07-28, 06:04 PM

Lol and the saddest part is that the bard has been a great class in previous editions with a reputation of being bad. Granted the cleric for a long time had a similar issue and it was also very strong.

Envyus
2014-07-28, 06:08 PM
Playtest mostly, but also game history. AFAIK, Sorcerer, Wizard, and Warlock use the same spell lists. Bard is almost always based on the Sor/Wiz list with the blasting spells ripped off it it. Although looking at the last playtest it was more a combination of Wizard and Druid lists (makes sense given the 1e Bard). I don't expect to see more than 1-2 Bard exclusive spells per spell level, even with their expanded casting. Either way, the Bard and Sor/Wiz/War likely have a lot of overlap in spells. They did in 2e and 3e, and that's a pretty accurate bar in 5e, generrally.

Wizard is Int-based and uses a Spellbook.
Warlock get Invocations and doesn't get full spellcasting progression.
Bard gets a custom spell list and musical abilities and weapon and armor proficiencies.

So... what does the Sorcerer do that's unique? Sorcery is going to have to be very flavorful and reasonably powerful, because beyond that the class doesn't do anything that other classes don't do. I'm glad Sorcerer is there because people would bitch incessantly if it wasn't, but I don't see that it brings a whole lot that's unique to the game.

Bard has their own spell list.

The Spell Cards confirm that there is a deck for bards.

http://www.gf9-dnd.com/gameAcc/tabid/87/entryid/87/Default.aspx

They also have more spells then the Cleric and Druid do.

rlc
2014-07-28, 06:20 PM

i keep thinking "war" means "warlord" and i get excited. then i get confused because warlord aren't arcane. then i look up.
then i get sad.

Tholomyes
2014-07-28, 06:58 PM
Well hopefully there will be an option for a Con based Warlock... It wasn't really broken in 4e, should do fine in 5e :smallbiggrin:.Personally I'm waiting for the Int based option. Int just seems so weak in 5e, since all it seems to affect is Wizards and certain skills. It fits the flavor well, since you're talking about making deals for power, with these eldritch patrons, which to me, screams requiring enough intelligence to worm your way out of loopholes (and even create some of your own) in these bargains. More over, the spell-based patron is the "Great Old One" which just screams Int, for all the hidden knowledge fluff.

On the topic of Bards, however, I sincerely hope that Bards aren't stuck with musical performance. I have only ever once played a bard as the default flavor of a lute strumming entertainer (and that bard was actually just an imperial spy, who used her musical ability as a cover identity, as to why she'd get into various places), as usually they tend to just be either battlefield commanders, or some other thing that lets them use Oratory or the like, as their performance.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-28, 08:13 PM
Personally I'm waiting for the Int based option. Int just seems so weak in 5e, since all it seems to affect is Wizards and certain skills. It fits the flavor well, since you're talking about making deals for power, with these eldritch patrons, which to me, screams requiring enough intelligence to worm your way out of loopholes (and even create some of your own) in these bargains. More over, the spell-based patron is the "Great Old One" which just screams Int, for all the hidden knowledge fluff.

On the topic of Bards, however, I sincerely hope that Bards aren't stuck with musical performance. I have only ever once played a bard as the default flavor of a lute strumming entertainer (and that bard was actually just an imperial spy, who used her musical ability as a cover identity, as to why she'd get into various places), as usually they tend to just be either battlefield commanders, or some other thing that lets them use Oratory or the like, as their performance.

I'm sure with all the different wizards out there we won't miss the Intlock.

Though switching the chalock to an intlock won't be hard.

Tholomyes
2014-07-28, 08:37 PM
I'm sure with all the different wizards out there we won't miss the Intlock.

Though switching the chalock to an intlock won't be hard.I don't particularly see it that way; At least from my perspective, there isn't a ton of conceptual overlap between wizard of any school and Int-lock. That being said, I honestly would like to see them give options for all spellcasters to have options for their casting stat (for example, I also would like to see options for a Cleric of Lore, who uses Int and has an Unarmored defense feature). I like to have smart characters, but unfortunately, I don't really like the wizard, to play, all that much, both conceptually and somewhat mechanically.

da_chicken
2014-07-28, 10:12 PM
Bard has their own spell list.

The Spell Cards confirm that there is a deck for bards.

http://www.gf9-dnd.com/gameAcc/tabid/87/entryid/87/Default.aspx

They also have more spells then the Cleric and Druid do.

Reread my post. I'm not saying anything about the Bard. The Bard is distinguished by it's spell list and weapon and armor proficiencies.

I'm saying that Bard, Wizard, and Warlock together don't leave much room for differentiation, mechanically. Everybody is stepping on the Sorcerer's toes in some shape or form. If the Sorcerer is "Bard with Wiz spell list" or "Wiz with Bard spellcasting" or "Warlock with more spells and no Invocations" then... well... it's just a small niche. Sure, you can say "Oh, Sorcerers get Bloodlines and other classes don't! You can't be a Wild Wizard or Dragon Warlock!" but that just tells me what class paths there are. They could just move Wild Magic to Wizard and Dragon Magic to Warlock (or whatever). So the actual class features of Sorcerer, namely Sorcery, has to be worth it. I question if it is. Is it bad that it exists? No, probably not. But it's a lot of overlap for dubious returns.

It's like if they added Scout to the game. Between Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Barbarian, and Bard, there's not a huge amount of room to distinguish yourself.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-07-29, 06:51 AM

Clearly, wizards understands its target audience!

Joe the Rat
2014-07-29, 07:04 AM

i was thinking honky tonk man
Tavern Brawler: Proficiency with improvised weapons. No need to persuade your GM that your finely crafted instrument is balanced enough to be used as a club.

Protip: When the going gets tough, upgrade to steel guitar.

da_chicken
2014-07-29, 07:16 AM
Clearly, wizards understands its target audience!

I assumed it was just because it was a Moon Elf, whereas historically the PHB Elf has been a Sun Elf.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-29, 07:35 AM
I assumed it was just because it was a Moon Elf, whereas historically the PHB Elf has been a Sun Elf.

Hey, at least the bard isn't wearing this fashion travesty...

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1348/53/1348539195187.jpg

The bard has come a long way... At least the bard may be taken seriously.

Also I noticed a lot if the fluff for classes tend to lean toward these PC classes being rare. Might we see the return of the warrior, expert, and aristocrat NPC classes?

Beleriphon
2014-07-29, 08:10 AM
Also I noticed a lot if the fluff for classes tend to lean toward these PC classes being rare. Might we see the return of the warrior, expert, and aristocrat NPC classes?

Probably not, I think we're going to see the DMG present rules that simplify PC creation to make monster stat blocks. I suspect most NPCs will probably be presented with a Strength, Dexterity, Constituion, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma along with a hit point total, damage and a to-hit bonus.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-29, 08:25 AM
Probably not, I think we're going to see the DMG present rules that simplify PC creation to make monster stat blocks. I suspect most NPCs will probably be presented with a Strength, Dexterity, Constituion, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma along with a hit point total, damage and a to-hit bonus.

Same but remember when 4e came out? People had a burr up their butt just because there weren't NPC classes. It isn't about using them, but having the option to use them.

I think the dmg may have them.

Beleriphon
2014-07-29, 09:58 AM
Same but remember when 4e came out? People had a burr up their butt just because there weren't NPC classes. It isn't about using them, but having the option to use them.

I think the dmg may have them.

Hmmm... true. I just don't understand the butt burrs myself. I mean its not like most NPCs in editions prior to 3E used NPC classes. I thought they were nifty when I saw them, largely because it let me make PC like NPCs without PC complexity, but it was actually way to slow. I don't see how anybody would think taking up to an hour to make each character that will last maybe one whole fight.

I personally like the NPCs as monsters style since at a base level only the combat stats are actually relevant, which worked fine. Nobody needs to know how high underwater basket weaving is for any given orc since the players are unlikely to ever interact with that particular skill. Its not like the DM is sitting a home rolling all of the NPCs down time skills in between playing sessions. At least I hope they aren't. :smalleek:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-29, 10:05 AM
Hmmm... true. I just don't understand the butt burrs myself. I mean its not like most NPCs in editions prior to 3E used NPC classes. I thought they were nifty when I saw them, largely because it let me make PC like NPCs without PC complexity, but it was actually way to slow. I don't see how anybody would think taking up to an hour to make each character that will last maybe one whole fight.

I personally like the NPCs as monsters style since at a base level only the combat stats are actually relevant, which worked fine. Nobody needs to know how high underwater basket weaving is for any given orc since the players are unlikely to ever interact with that particular skill. Its not like the DM is sitting a home rolling all of the NPCs down time skills in between playing sessions. At least I hope they aren't. :smalleek:

Oh, I'm with you on this, believe you me.

I think it is mostly for, hey if my character wasn't X I could see her as Y. Like it makes the world feel more real. Not what I want but there may be quite a few that do.

Some DMs may want to make old PCs into NPCs without using PC classes, which is weird yo me or whatever, but that doesn't mean the demand isn't out there. If you are going that in dept just use the PC classes you know.

Devils_Advocate
2014-08-02, 05:21 AM
Like the Warlock, the artwork has a very goth feeling to it.
A quick Google image search supports my suspicion that any outfit that doesn't at the very least prominently feature black is moderately goth at best. Not grey, not dark, black.

Black like the depths of my tormented soul!

Vicious Mockery was a 4e attack power that dealt psychic damage due to the sheer sickness of your burns.

No idea what it'll do in 5e but I sure hope it deals damage from telling yo' mamma jokes.
On the one hand, taunting is reminiscent of the widely despised kender. On the other hand, it's also reminiscent of Morte from the widely beloved Planescape: Torment.

My tentative position is that if influencing emotions through music and speech is going to be part of what a class does, that might as well include imposing negative effects on enemies as well as positively influencing allies.

I thought that historically the PHB elf has been a high elf, and "moon elves" was what high elves are called in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Ryu the Reptoid
2014-08-02, 05:57 AM
So the bard finally gets 9th level spells? Interesting, thats for sure. Needless to say that I'll now enjoy bards even more then I did in Pathfinder and 3.5e. However, the lack of non-musical performance disturbs me, as I always liked to fluff my bards as courtiers, nobles, other politically-minded types or in some cases scholars and writers as appose to entertainers. Either way, the class still looks fun, and in the first 5e game I play I may consider rolling a bard with the noble background! Out of all the previews, I will say the bard looks quite promising. Yeah, it may be OP, but it may also prove balanced, too, who knows! The preview doesn't give us everything...I just hope to dear god that the actual PHB gives us some non-musical performance options.

da_chicken
2014-08-02, 08:17 AM
I thought that historically the PHB elf has been a high elf, and "moon elves" was what high elves are called in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Ah, you're right. Moon Elves are the default. I guess it's just that Moon Elves and non-FR elves have different coloring. 3.x describes the default elf as fair skin with dark hair and dark green eyes. FR just adds silver hair, blue hair, purple eyes, and other such unusual features.

Tholomyes
2014-08-02, 09:57 AM
So the bard finally gets 9th level spells? Interesting, thats for sure. Needless to say that I'll now enjoy bards even more then I did in Pathfinder and 3.5e. However, the lack of non-musical performance disturbs me, as I always liked to fluff my bards as courtiers, nobles, other politically-minded types or in some cases scholars and writers as appose to entertainers. Either way, the class still looks fun, and in the first 5e game I play I may consider rolling a bard with the noble background! Out of all the previews, I will say the bard looks quite promising. Yeah, it may be OP, but it may also prove balanced, too, who knows! The preview doesn't give us everything...I just hope to dear god that the actual PHB gives us some non-musical performance options.I don't think it's any more tied to music than before. The default flavor always tends to imply a music-based bard, but I doubt the mechanics will care. I doubt even the performance skill will have any mechanical impact on the class.

Sartharina
2014-08-02, 10:21 AM
So the bard finally gets 9th level spells? Interesting, thats for sure. Needless to say that I'll now enjoy bards even more then I did in Pathfinder and 3.5e. However, the lack of non-musical performance disturbs me, as I always liked to fluff my bards as courtiers, nobles, other politically-minded types or in some cases scholars and writers as appose to entertainers. Either way, the class still looks fun, and in the first 5e game I play I may consider rolling a bard with the noble background! Out of all the previews, I will say the bard looks quite promising. Yeah, it may be OP, but it may also prove balanced, too, who knows! The preview doesn't give us everything...I just hope to dear god that the actual PHB gives us some non-musical performance options.

Grab the "Performance" skill with one of your three free skills, or grab a background that gives performance.