PDA

View Full Version : How high numeric effects can e produced with Wish?

Max Caysey
2014-07-28, 11:08 AM
So... hoping not to inflame anyone or anything, I was wondering, beacuse of this old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337242-The-power-level-scaling-of-spells-and-my-lack-of-understanding-2-0-in-the-right-room) if the result of that debate was that no schematic scaling is underlining the vancian spell system, then how high a numeric effect can be produced in terms of AC or Attack Bonus when using wish?

Psyren
2014-07-28, 02:38 PM
Since even limited wish lets you "automatically hit on your next attack" there does not seem to be an upper limit on the attack bonus wish can give you - temporarily anyway.

A permanent increase would probably be unsafe.

Urpriest
2014-07-28, 02:42 PM
The same as the spell you replicate or the item you create, presumably.

icefractal
2014-07-28, 02:48 PM
Are you talking about how powerful an effect should be achievable with Wish, or how powerful an effect is? Because with 3.5 Wish, the answer to the latter is "arbitrarily high".

Max Caysey
2014-07-28, 03:46 PM
Are you talking about how powerful an effect should be achievable with Wish, or how powerful an effect is? Because with 3.5 Wish, the answer to the latter is "arbitrarily high".

Both I guess...

Melcar
2014-07-28, 04:03 PM
I thought I had seen the last of this thread. I guess this is as good a place as any to apologize for my miss behavior concerning the outcome of the old thread. Anyways...

In responce to the question at hand. Wish is namely arbitrarily powerful also in terms of broardness. Meaning that both horisontaly and vertically this spells maxess out. My guess is that it can produce a number equal to CL on a regular basis, but will make you strike true even if the beast has AC 2000. Basically wish can do what ever the DM will allow. One balancing thing though is that the higher the number the shorter the duration and vise verca. So too with the breadth of the spells application... IMO!

Psyren
2014-07-28, 04:03 PM
Both I guess...

Wish has no upper limits - just a "safe" category and an "unsafe" category. The unsafe category is not impossible - you actually could wish for a million wishes and get them with no strings attached. It's not at all likely but there's nothing absolutely preventing it either.

icefractal
2014-07-28, 06:08 PM
Well, and also the safe category will get you to arbitrarily high numbers, if you go strictly by the book. Not recommended, obviously, because it makes the game fall apart completely.

TypoNinja
2014-07-28, 06:14 PM
Wish has no upper limits - just a "safe" category and an "unsafe" category. The unsafe category is not impossible - you actually could wish for a million wishes and get them with no strings attached. It's not at all likely but there's nothing absolutely preventing it either.

Well Wish is still limited by the spellcasters power, so partial fulfillment is always an option, so is corruption of intent. Wishing for a million wishes might just get you turned into a noble jinn. Miracle has more openings for crazy **** since that request is granted by your deity when asking for "unsafe" effects.