PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Best Races for Gladiators?

Palanan
2014-07-28, 02:44 PM
I'm planning for a couple sessions in a large city arena, and I'd like a selection of gladiators for all occasions, both workaday and exotic. What are some of the best races in 3.5 for this?

Pretty much all books allowed, and Pathfinder as well.

ComaVision
2014-07-28, 03:45 PM
Depends a lot on level. I'd think, the lower level the encounter the more Humans (and other races with a bonus feat) have the edge.

Vaz
2014-07-28, 03:53 PM
Without class levels, Neraph. They are a 1HD no LA outsider creature with free martial weapon proficinecy, jump bonuses, and the ability to deny dex to a charge or thrown weapon, natural armour.

With LA, Goliaths or Half Giants have melee stat bonuses.

Also, a certain famous book lied. They commoners were not martyred to lions, but to common housecats instead.

Tauric creatures are fantastic for this purpose. Centaur, Dracotaur, or the template.

(Un)Inspired
2014-07-28, 03:56 PM
Trolls are awesome for gladiator fights. They're big and can wield exciting weapons and they reset themselves medically between fights.

Emperor Tippy
2014-07-28, 04:05 PM
Elans are surprisingly good. Take Elan Resilience and you can reduce incoming damage by spending PP as an immediate action at a rate of 1 PP per 4 damage prevented.

Use that with a Martial Monk 2/ Psychic Warrior X and you have a very good gladiator.

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 04:30 PM
Depending on level, half-orcs could make decent gladiators with their access to Headlong Rush.
A level 6 barb/fighter/warblade is a miniature ubercharger that can kill pretty much everything of appropriate CR with ease

Add AC focused small races for variety and fun. A strongheart halfling hit-n-run fighter/swordsage with a spiked chain, high DEX and shadow blade can definitely be a threat.
Add Unbalancing Blow/mighty throw for extra fun.

At very low levels, Warforged with Adamantine Body are incredibly tough to take down.
Consider giving them levels in the Crusader class.

Martial Monk
Wait a sec.
I never heard of it before. It's a pretty crazy variant.
Does this actually allow any fighter bonus feat without meeting requirements? Shouldn't this include epic feats as well?

Palanan
2014-07-28, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by ComaVision
Depends a lot on level.

These will probably be first- or second-level characters for the most part, with a few superstar gladiators at third or fourth. (Those aren't firm limits, just estimates.)

Originally Posted by Vaz
Without class levels, Neraph. They are a 1HD no LA outsider creature….

This would certainly qualify as an exotic gladiator. But I don't know anything about Neraphs, and very little about outsiders in general. Are they that easy to capture? These gladiators will be slaves, or close enough.

Originally Posted by Seppo87
Depending on level, half-orcs could make decent gladiators with their access to Headlong Rush.

I like the concept, although fourth level would probably be the limit. Is a headlong-rushing, half-orc mini-ubercharger feasible at fourth level? That would certainly qualify him as a superstar in the arena. He'd be quite the spectacle.

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 05:35 PM
Is a headlong-rushing, half-orc mini-ubercharger feasible at fourth level? That would certainly qualify him as a superstar in the arena. He'd be quite the spectacle.
Only if you allow the Generic Warrior, so that he can take any feat at 4th level without losing BaB.
There is the Human Paragon that grants any feat, but it loses BaB so it would require Level5 instead.
I don't know of any other ways.

For the full attack you'd probably want to start your career as a lion totem barbarian with the whirling frenzy rage variant.

For example, Barb1,Warblade2,Generic Warrior1 is probably very solid as a mini-ubercharger

Karnith
2014-07-28, 05:47 PM
Only if you allow the Generic Warrior, so that he can take any feat at 4th level without losing BaB.
I don't know of any other ways.
A Frostblood (Half-)Orc with 1 level in a full-BAB class and 3 levels of Ranger (or Mystic Ranger 4) could nab it at level 4, because of how the racial bonus feat works.

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 05:51 PM
because of how the racial bonus feat works.
I've lost you here. I'm assuming there must be rules for duplicate feats, but I've never heard of them. Can I ask for a source, please?

Sartharina
2014-07-28, 05:56 PM
Dwarves are best for gladiators, as they are for everything else as well. Dwarves are the best everything, no matter what those uppity humans think.

Failing that, humans, because it's fun watching them die.

Karnith
2014-07-28, 06:04 PM
I've lost you here. I'm assuming there must be rules for duplicate feats, but I've never heard of them. Can I ask for a source, please?
There are not general rules for duplicate feats that would allow this, but rather specific rules for this particular instance. Frostblood Orcs and Half-Orcs are in Dragon Magic on page 10. They get Endurance as a racial bonus feat, and that particular racial bonus feat has an additional benefit that most do not: if a Frostblood Orc or Half-Orc would gain Endurance as a bonus feat, he can instead select any other feat for which he qualifies.

Since Ranger 3 (or Mystic Ranger 4) grants Endurance as a bonus feat, a Frostblood Orc or Half-Orc gets a bonus feat of his choice at that level instead.

Ruethgar
2014-07-28, 07:45 PM
If you want to be vindictive, have Dvati fight their twins.

Palanan
2014-07-28, 08:12 PM
For the full attack you'd probably want to start your career as a lion totem barbarian with the whirling frenzy rage variant.

Originally Posted by Karnith
A Frostblood (Half-)Orc with 1 level in a full-BAB class and 3 levels of Ranger (or Mystic Ranger 4) could nab it at level 4, because of how the racial bonus feat works.

Taken together this sounds like a surefire crowd-pleaser. :smalltongue:

But for those of us who aren't expert in uber-charger builds…what would be the necessary feats to pull it off?

Seppo87
2014-07-28, 08:35 PM

But for those of us who aren't expert in uber-charger builds…what would be the necessary feats to pull it off?

Power Attack, which you can get from the "strongarm" ranger combat style.
This is basically enough in my opinion.

Maybe an exotic weapon proficiency for a mercurial weapon to increase damage.
Or Reckless Rage.

If you want to go overboard, however, Battle Jump increases the multiplier from x2 to x3. Make sure your npc can pass the jump check required to do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ngXZn7folM

Erik Vale
2014-07-28, 08:49 PM
Two suggestions off the top of my head, assuming simple classes.

Gnome Barbarians. Small + Con bonus makes them really hardy, though less powerful.

Diopsid Fighters. Normally barbarian as favoured class, but these guys could be set up to seemlesly flip between ranged/melee combat, or be ok two weapon wielders, wielding great axes/swords [Oversized and Multiweapon fighting at first, min 13 dex but after that dex requirements are ignored for all feats with Two-Weapon in their name, leaves a -2 hit penalty total] or kit them out with a greatsword, longbow, and towershield/large shield. The weapon not in use is being held in the left over small hand, and they can switch weapons around freely by moving their non-shield large hand to the other weapon]. If you stick with their core fluff, you could probably 'buy' surface travellers quite cheaply with metal weapons/armor/trinkets, and they're quite mercenary... But normally you'd have to go and convince them to leave the underdark.
1 LA, also have +4 NA. If they're not slaves, get them to put some ranks in profession [Bureaucrat] and when most rest to recharge he can use the fact he's sleepless to do the paperwork you need done.

Given their fluff though, they'd be great as Barbarians of 3+ levels.

Catalysis
2014-07-28, 09:47 PM
Warforged barbarians:smalltongue:
Take the feats adamantine body, endurance and diehard (as flaws).
Be a dragonborn with the heart aspect for extra damage output.

At level one, with a 14 constitution+ 4 racial modifier (equaling 18), you have 25 hp (16 from your first class level: 12+4, and 9 more from diehard), damage reduction 2/adamantine, and a breath weapon (5ft Line of any energy) doing 1d8 damage on a failed reflex save (keyed off your constitution) of 10+0(half HD)+4 =14 DC

AC: 18, 19 with 12 dex, 21 with a shield

You can also rage, gaining 2hp and a +2 to your breath save DC. You are immune to the fatigued condition at the end of the rage. Your AC drops by 2 though.

Check out the warforged immunities, they are insane.

Good luck!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-07-28, 10:51 PM
Trolls, if they lose the match they're reusable. Same goes for anything with regeneration.

Vhaidara
2014-07-28, 11:45 PM
Warforged. They don't bleed out. Also, built in weapons and armor. And it's a peacetime job.

BWR
2014-07-29, 02:15 AM
Muls and half-giants are the traditional choices.

Vaz
2014-07-29, 05:21 AM
This would certainly qualify as an exotic gladiator. But I don't know anything about Neraphs, and very little about outsiders in general. Are they that easy to capture? These gladiators will be slaves, or close enough.

They're as easy as any 1st level character. They have a native homeplane on Limbo, but they exist in Sigil, which is relatively easy enough to get to, especially due to the ability to have plane shifting characters (Fighter 4/Jaunter 4 is the earliest access to none item Plane Shift, Clerics gets it at ECL9, Wizards at ECL13. Planar Binding and Ally spells are available at ECL7 for both classes, though, and might provide access to a Plane Shifting creature earlier), so a Slaver boss with access to any of those can theoretically easily get his slaves to and from Sigil or Limbo or the Material plane. As extraplanar creatures, they do not need to eat or sleep either, making them perfect slaves for that matter.

Crusader is a decent boost if their owners stretch to giving them full armour. The delayed damage pool, strikes, and stances keep them alive, and match with their natural armour, while their ability to ignore Dex to AC gives them the ability to get a Ninja's sudden strike off.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-29, 05:49 AM
Depending on your point of view, Thri-Kreen are a real giggle but may be too far out of your level range, as I said, depends on your point of view.

Anthropomorphic animals from Savage Species can make good gladiators.

Lesser Asimar and Tieflings have no LA or HD but a bunch of cool abilities that could please a crowd.

Half Ogres have an LA +1 but are large sized and have +4 natural armour

Otherwise, humans are versatile enough to be good at anything and make excellent cannon fodder.

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-29, 06:25 AM
Feral Jungle Dwarf Wildshape Ranger/Master of Many Forms/Thayan Gladiator. Give it a bit of stealth, high Wisdom, and you're golden. Inherent flying capabilities and it turns to platinum.

Karnith
2014-07-29, 06:46 AM

But for those of us who aren't expert in uber-charger builds…what would be the necessary feats to pull it off?At fourth level, the normal charger tricks (Shock Trooper, Leap Attack) won't have come online. So you could try a Frostblood Orc Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 3 (preferably with the Strongarm combat style from Dragon 326, I think; it grants Power attack at level 2). Take Extra Rage at 1 if you want to Whirling Frenzy more than once per day, and Headlong Rush at 4 (obviously). That leaves one more feat, and there's actually a feat that replicates the Heedless Charge function of Shock Trooper at this level, if you want it - Reckless Charge, from Miniatures Handbook, gives you the option of getting +4 to-hit in exchange for -4 AC when charging (on top of the normal charging bonus/penalty). That essentially gives you a mini-charger build for 4th level.

Seppo87
2014-07-29, 07:03 AM
At fourth level, the normal charger tricks (Shock Trooper, Leap Attack) won't have come online. So you could try a Frostblood Orc Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Ranger 3 (preferably with the Strongarm combat style from Dragon 326, I think; it grants Power attack at level 2). Take Extra Rage at 1 if you want to Whirling Frenzy more than once per day, and Headlong Rush at 4 (obviously). That leaves one more feat, and there's actually a feat that replicates the Heedless Charge function of Shock Trooper at this level, if you want it - Reckless Charge, from Miniatures Handbook, gives you the option of getting +4 to-hit in exchange for -4 AC when charging (on top of the normal charging bonus/penalty). That essentially gives you a mini-charger build for 4th level.

Including Battle Jump and assuming a starting 18+2racial, a +2 STR item and a greatsword, by my calculations this guy deals and average of 180 damage per round

Without Battle Jump it goes down to 120

The bonus on attacks should be +16/+16, pretty good I'd say

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-29, 07:23 AM
Wow. And it only took 24 posts for a general question about interesting races, to become a description of how to destroy a party. I applaud you all.

Seppo87
2014-07-29, 07:25 AM
Wow. And it only took 23 posts for a general question about interesting races, to become a description of how to destroy a party. I applaud you all.
Op asked for an ECL4 ubercharger build.
We delivered.

HockeyPokeyBard
2014-07-29, 07:33 AM
I'm simply making an observation, based on my previous (though limited) experience with this forum. And I am genuinely impressed by the command of the 3.5 system displayed. You dun good. Was cool.

Note the lack of sarcasm in the previous post.

Palanan
2014-07-29, 10:38 AM
Op asked for an ECL4 ubercharger build.

Actually, I just followed up on what seemed like a crowd-pleasing champion concept. The Playground, as usual, got a little carried away. :smalltongue:

But I appreciate the build suggestions from Karnith and Seppo87. I tip my hat to the expertise on display.

BRC
2014-07-29, 10:46 AM
Remember, a Gladiator fight is not just "Who is good at fighting in an open arena with no special circumstances", it's about "Who can put on a show"

With that in mind, you want high Hit point totals. Roman Gladiators were traditionally fat, and attacked each other with shallow cuts so the crowd would see some blood without the fight ending too quickly.

Also a dead gladiator is one you can't use again.

With that in mind, Trolls would probably be the best gladiators, since they can hack each other to bits and regrow so long as no fire is used.

Fighters are probably better bets than Barbarians for Gladiators. Barbarian Rage means the gladiator is likely to go too far and kill their opponents (A good fantasy gladiator should take their opponent to negatives so they can be dragged out of the arena and healed up). Although if the Gladiators are going up against beasts then a Barbarian might be good.

An Ubercharger is a terrible Gladiator build, they would charge in, power attack for massive damage, and end the fight within six seconds. The crowd didn't come to see that, they want to see a show!

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 10:51 AM
Last night, I recommended Warforged. I still stand by that.

Check out Complete Warrior, it actually has rules for influencing the crowd in a gladiator match. In particular, you put a focus on special combat maneuvers (Trip, Disarm, Bull Rush, Overrun, Sunder, etc). Grab tactical feats and weapon style feats (IIRC, there is actually one for net and trident). Uberchargers are terrible gladiators except as the one big guy vs several little guys, because they end the fight far too quickly. People want to see fights that can make it up to a minute or two, not a six second splat.

If you want an ubercharger, I recommend doing something like a Feral Half Minotaur Goliath with Dungeoncrash Fighter who doesn't use weapons. Most of his damage comes from splattering enemies on the walls.

Red Fel
2014-07-29, 11:06 AM
Remember, a Gladiator fight is not just "Who is good at fighting in an open arena with no special circumstances", it's about "Who can put on a show"

Take this a step further - Charisma is important. Why? Because people didn't just come to see two half-naked guys tear each other to shreds. They came to be entertained.

Warforged can literally fight endlessly, without food or sleep. They also have a Cha penalty. Trolls are massive beasts who can take obscene punishment. Cha penalty. They're no fun to look at. Do better.

Consider, for example, an Aasimar Swordsage. Bonus to Wis, which goes to AC, which means he can comfortably dodge a lot of hits, embarrassing his foes and giving the crowd a laugh. Exotic and exciting maneuvers, meaning that combat is never as simple as "He hits you, you hit him, he hits you, dodge." Aasimars are exotic, too - strange and beautiful planetouched beings. And the Charisma bonus helps to keep the people riveted.

Similarly, Celadrin can have a Dex and Cha bonus, and a Con penalty, giving them the impression of the frail combatant. A Celadrin Battledancer can shift, slide, and tumble around her enemy. As a crowd favorite, she'll be the one to watch, the people waiting to see if today is the day that she fails to dodge.

Vhaidara
2014-07-29, 11:11 AM
The thing is, you need an opponent. You need an opposite. Take that Battledancer, who does all this dodging and little hits. Put them up against a Troll (Regeneration) or an Adamantine Body Warforged Crusader (DR + Steely Resolve double dip) who are built for individual big hits. The Battledancer can slowly wear them down, yes, but one wrong step, and she is going to get splattered. Same applies to the Aasimar.

Also, Setting Sun is a fantastic Discipline for this. I don't see much not entertaining about literally throwing your opponents across the arena into each other.

Shining Wrath
2014-07-29, 11:38 AM
You're putting on a show. You want different builds for different types of show.
Are you fighting to the death? If not, you don't want to release lions and tigers and bears. Otherwise, bring the beasts.

Trolls are reusable but everyone will root against them because they are huge, dumb, ugly, smell bad, and can't be killed. They don't make good protagonists.

Depending on your crowd people might root for a Warforged, but an Adamantine body WF is a bit much at L1 against most other foes.

Whatever the majority population of your city is, you will want some gladiators of that race as natural crowd pleasers. Train them as Warblades.

Vaz
2014-07-29, 12:01 PM
Take this a step further - Charisma is important. Why? Because people didn't just come to see two half-naked guys tear each other to shreds. They came to be entertained.

Warforged can literally fight endlessly, without food or sleep. They also have a Cha penalty. Trolls are massive beasts who can take obscene punishment. Cha penalty. They're no fun to look at. Do better.

Consider, for example, an Aasimar Swordsage. Bonus to Wis, which goes to AC, which means he can comfortably dodge a lot of hits, embarrassing his foes and giving the crowd a laugh. Exotic and exciting maneuvers, meaning that combat is never as simple as "He hits you, you hit him, he hits you, dodge." Aasimars are exotic, too - strange and beautiful planetouched beings. And the Charisma bonus helps to keep the people riveted.

Similarly, Celadrin can have a Dex and Cha bonus, and a Con penalty, giving them the impression of the frail combatant. A Celadrin Battledancer can shift, slide, and tumble around her enemy. As a crowd favorite, she'll be the one to watch, the people waiting to see if today is the day that she fails to dodge.

Aasimar have a +1 to the Charisma checks, not exactly that much. Might as well just take 5 ranks in a syngergistic skill for better results.

BRC
2014-07-29, 12:45 PM
In terms of "Exotic" Gladiator

Tri-Keen duelists.

Centaurs with Halfling Archers on their backs.

An exhibition match with two Lycanthropes fighting over a "Silver" weapon. The weapon is not actually silver, after the fight has gone on long enough the recipient of the next good blow with the "Silver" weapon goes down and gets taken out of the arena. If we go with the "Wounds instantly heal" version of Damage Reduction, plenty of blood still gets spilled, but nobody in the audience is close enough to see the minor wounds they're inflicting on each other close up.

Plot Hook: Somebody replaced the fake Silver sword with a real one. One of the Lycanthropes accidentally killed the other.

Sartharina
2014-07-29, 03:16 PM
Warforged. They don't bleed out. Also, built in weapons and armor. And it's a peacetime job.Furthermore, they are a good 'peaceful' variant on Gladiators, since they can be repaired to full capacity if the damage they sustain isn't too great.

Palanan
2014-07-29, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Sartharina
Dwarves are best for gladiators....

Originally Posted by Vaz
Without class levels, Neraph.

Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles
Feral Jungle Dwarf Wildshape Ranger….

Originally Posted by Red Fel
A Celadrin Battledancer....

Great suggestions in the thread so far, and these in particular are in line with what I'm looking for.

So, here's a mini-challenge: work up a mini-build for a gladiator using one of these races, at first or second level. Assume one flaw is available, no psionics or LA buyoff. Dazzle me. :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2014-07-29, 05:27 PM
For making sure you don't kill your gladiators, they could take [or gain as a bonus feat] Subdual Strike [I think], which allows you to make all your melee attacks non-lethal with no attack penalty, and you can fluff it as shallow, painful cuts.

Or just take the hit penalty so it all lasts longer.

Also, Diopsids and Neraphs don't need to sleep, and have +0 charisma modifiers. But one is a giant beetle, and one is a Slaad look alike...
But humans breed with anything anyway!

Erik Vale
2014-07-29, 05:38 PM
Mini Build:
Neraph Fighter Rogue 1/Fighter 1 [Fighter's Last]

Feats:
-Subdual Strike [Melee, Damage is Non-Lethal, Flaw Feat]/Quickdrow [Ranged style, throwing things, Given small spears]
-Two Weapon Fighting [Standard Rogue fighting Style]/Point Blank Shot [Ranged]
-Weapon Focus [Weapon Used] or Weapon Finesse/Rapid Fire [Ranged]

Possible Flaws:
-Non Combatent, -2 Melee Attacks [Trained for flashy combat instead of real combat]
-Vulnrable, -1 AC [Training focuses on flashy ineffective dodges which are normally survived due to NA]

Either throws spears, with 'finisher' being a charge with it, Rogue opens with a charge, then fights with lots of 5 foot steps because it can, maybe marbles, ending move being a throw of a dagger [non-lethal, so throwing so the handle hits them somewhere hard, like the head]

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-29, 05:48 PM
Great suggestions in the thread so far, and these in particular are in line with what I'm looking for.

So, here's a mini-challenge: work up a mini-build for a gladiator using one of these races, at first or second level. Assume one flaw is available, no psionics or LA buyoff. Dazzle me. :smallbiggrin:

Well, if you go with Feral Jungle Dwarf at 2nd level, and save Thayan Gladiator for later, or refluff to not be evil, add one Dragonborn for wings and an additional Con bonus. At second level it would be a Feral Dragonborn Jungle Dwarf Wildshape Ranger 1. Moves fast, has stealth skills, hits hard, can fly. When I played it for a short period of time at my table, I used magic items to boost my movement speed to rather ridiculous levels, though it required a decent amount of DM leeway on custom magic items (Rapid Wrath). It used standard ubercharge tactics alongside boost claw damage.

Red Fel
2014-07-29, 08:20 PM
Alrighty, challenge accepted. Let's go.

Okay. Some basics. This build uses a Celadrin, but the Lesser variant as outlined in Player's Guide to Faerun - basically, that means she's a Humanoid (Planetouched) instead of an Outsider (Native), she has an LA +0, and otherwise keeps all of her awesome stuff. Specifically, she gets Darkvision 60, Fire Resistance 10, immunity to magic sleep (as an Elf), bonuses to Perform (Sing), Listen, Search and Spot, Elven native proficiency with bows, longswords and rapiers (not that she uses them, she's an unarmed fighter), a 1/day Scorching Ray eye-laser SLA, Elven secret door sense, and a scaling bonus on Diplomacy and Wild Empathy. On top of that, +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con. She's a quick, pretty, flimsy elf girl with glowing eyes.

Let's call her a CG Celadrin Battle Dancer 2. I suggest 2 levels of BD, because unlike some other unarmed classes *coughMonkcough *coughSwordsagecough* a Battle Dancer gets full BAB progression. So at level 2, she has: +2 BAB +0 Fort and Will saves +2 Reflex save Improved Unarmed Strike, along with a Monk's unarmed progression (but no Flurry), which means 1d6 damage at level 2 Charisma modifier to AC The ability to gain +4 to saves against fear effects while in an enemy's threatened area
So that's her, based just on the class. Now let's expand.

I don't like using flaws, generally. And at level 2, it would either feel cheap (because it has no impact on play) or crippling (because a penalty can negate your advantages entirely). If I had to choose one, I guess I'd choose Shaky.

So she gets her first-level feat, plus Improved Unarmed Strike as a freebie, plus one from her flaw. For her first-level feat, I choose Dreadful Wrath - when she opens combat, she is suddenly terrifying. Enemies must succeed on a Will save (based on her Cha modifier) or be shaken for one minute. As in, ten rounds. Plenty of time to humiliate them.

For her second feat, I'd take Combat Expertise. Her style is all about exhausting her opponents, so she doesn't mind taking a penalty to hit in order to become untouchable.

If I were advancing her further, I'd plan for more Battle Dancer, and throw on feats like Improved Trip, and other tactics designed to control, disable, and humiliate, rather than kill, her enemies.

Her combat style is as follows: On her opening, trigger Dreadful Wrath, shake the enemy. Because of her Unarmed Strike class feature, she can deal lethal or non-lethal damage, her choice, without penalty. She proceeds to dance around her enemies, using Combat Expertise if they try any funny business, generally just poking them, mocking them, and making the crowd roar. If things start to look bad for her, she whips out the eye-laser, which at low levels is pretty effective at turning the tide and shocking the audience.

Seppo87
2014-07-30, 07:04 AM
How about an Iaijutsu Focus based gladiator?

Palanan
2014-07-30, 10:05 AM
Celadrin Battle Dancer Mini-Build

This…is just awesome. This is everything I was hoping for and so much more.

Nicely, nicely done. The hat is most deeply tipped.

How about an Iaijutsu Focus based gladiator?

Hmm. Maybe, although the one-shot nature of an iaijutsu duel probably wouldn't make for a crowd-pleasing encounter.

Still, I'm open to being impressed with the right build. Although Red Fel's a tough act to follow. :smalltongue:

Also, something I meant to mention earlier:

Originally Posted by Keledrath
Last night, I recommended Warforged. I still stand by that.

Several folks have mentioned warforged, and the fact is I really love warforged. For some reason they just strike me as inherently cool.

Sadly, warforged aren't native to the setting I'm working in, but I wouldn't mind seeing a first- or second-level build--maybe something like what Catalysis posted, but without the dragonborn part.

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 10:11 AM
Well, the warforged ex-gladiator I play dual wields a hand crossbow and a rapier (modified for slashing damage, since that's flashier). I have him built for more damage, but the plan is to eventually focus more on control, picking up feats like Ranged Disarm and Ranged Pin. Further, there is a feat that lets you make a thrown weapon attack as part of a charge, which my GM ruled I could use with my crossbow. So he charges at the enemy, shoots them in the hand with his crossbow to force them to drop their weapon, then slashes them to bits.

Palanan
2014-07-30, 04:29 PM
Further, there is a feat that lets you make a thrown weapon attack as part of a charge, which my GM ruled I could use with my crossbow. So he charges at the enemy, shoots them in the hand with his crossbow to force them to drop their weapon, then slashes them to bits.

Hm. Which feat is that?

Feral Jungle Dwarf….

I like this basic idea, because it calls to mind the exotic savage brought in from wild and distant lands.

Not enough room in two levels for the MoMF approach--but what else would work here?

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 04:37 PM
I forget the name of it. Because we started at low level, and it wasn't a gladiator focused campaign, I went with the general effectiveness feats first, and haven't gotten to it yet.

Karnith
2014-07-30, 05:06 PM
Hm. Which feat is that?
Probably Hurling Charge, in the Miniatures Handbook p. 27. Note the requirement of BAB +6, which limits its usefulness if you want to stick with low level characters.

sktarq
2014-07-30, 05:11 PM
Ibixen (Goatfolk) do a great number as a team battle from their teamwork, Muls of course, and Halflings. . . yup halflings.

Palanan
2014-07-30, 07:36 PM
This build uses a Celadrin, but the Lesser variant as outlined in Player's Guide to Faerun….

You outlined the racial features pretty well in your build, but when I went looking I couldn't find the Celadrin in Player's Guide to Faerûn, nor Races of Faerûn nor the FRCS. The only reference I can find is to a Forgotten Realms article in Dragon #350. Is there any other source for the Lesser Celadrin?

Originally Posted by sktarq
…and Halflings. . . yup halflings.

Care to elaborate? One halfling or two?

:smalltongue:

Vhaidara
2014-07-30, 07:38 PM
You outlined the racial features pretty well in your build, but when I went looking I couldn't find the Celadrin in Player's Guide to Faerûn, nor Races of Faerûn nor the FRCS. The only reference I can find is to a Forgotten Realms article in Dragon #350. Is there any other source for the Lesser Celadrin?

Lesser Planetouched are from PGtF. The rule allows Aasimar and Tieflings to trade the Outsider type out to remove their LA. This has been extrapolated and applied to other Planteouched.

Seppo87
2014-07-30, 07:47 PM
Hmm. Maybe, although the one-shot nature of an iaijutsu duel probably wouldn't make for a crowd-pleasing encounter.
Would it be more interesting if the gladiator was a chicken infested commoner?

Sir Chuckles
2014-07-31, 02:53 AM
I like this basic idea, because it calls to mind the exotic savage brought in from wild and distant lands.

Not enough room in two levels for the MoMF approach--but what else would work here?

Due to the low level restriction and the +1 LA from Feral, it ends up being Feral Jungle Dwarf Ranger 1. You can add in Dragonborn for no LA and some fancy stuff (I recommend Wings), picking up Improved Natural Weapon (Claw) to have two claws doing 2d6 damage, and Wildshape Ranger still gives you the Fast Movement at first level. If you're able to buy off the LA, and don't plan on leveling too much, you can change from Wildshape Ranger to Fangshield Ranger for the Natural Weapon Combat Style feat at 2nd. You lose Fast Movement, but whatever.

yoshi67
2014-07-31, 03:18 AM
Goliaths make awesome gladiators, although one would have to be lvl 2 at minimum (LA +1). An LA 0 Drow would be interesting. Fire Genesai (LA +1) could be fun.

Palanan
2014-07-31, 09:46 AM
Lesser Planetouched are from PGtF. The rule allows Aasimar and Tieflings to trade the Outsider type out to remove their LA. This has been extrapolated and applied to other [Planetouched].

Ah. Thank you. Never really done much with planetouched before, in part because of that LA.

Due to the low level restriction and the +1 LA from Feral, it ends up being Feral Jungle Dwarf Ranger 1.

I was actually less interested in the Feral aspect than the jungle-dwarf part. Fierce savage fighting with primitive weapons, sort of thing. Something with nets, maybe?

Originally Posted by sktarq
…and Halflings.

Still waiting to hear more about these fearsome gladiator halflings.

:smalltongue: